PMCC PMCC

Search tips
Search criteria

Advanced
Results 1-25 (40)
 

Clipboard (0)
None
Journals
Authors
Year of Publication
more »
Document Types
4.  MEDLINE Evaluation Study 
MEDLINE (MEDLARS-ON-LINE) is the new on-line, interactive bibliographic searching system which was recently developed by the National Library of Medicine. The system provides users with lists of bibliographical citations and other information from a three-year file of over 1,250 biomedical journals. A survey testing user reactions was conducted at the University of Virginia Medical Library. The results of the survey are based on replies by 246 users who requested one or more MEDLINE searches between September 1972 and March 1973. The findings indicate that over 93% believe that MEDLINE is a substantial improvement over the traditional methods of searching through the printed indexes. These respondents also stated that the results of MEDLINE searches had assisted them in their clinical or research work, or both. Asked whether they would continue to use MEDLINE after the imposition of user charges on July 1, 1973, about 75% said that they would. The remaining 25% expressed some reservations and doubts. The survey gives reason to believe that with the imposition of user charges the use of MEDLINE will decline.
PMCID: PMC198743  PMID: 4812588
5.  Observations on the AIM-TWX Service at the University of Virginia Medical Library 
This paper is an analysis of 100 short questionaires which were completed by patrons of the AIM-TWX computerized, on-line bibliographical search service at the Medical Library of the University of Virginia during the period from August 1971 to January 1972. The survey indicates strengths and weaknesses of the new system.
PMCID: PMC197748  PMID: 4678165
6.  AIM-TWX Service at the University of Virginia: A Review and Evaluation 
The paper reviews the highlights of a four-week trial period (November 19-December 18, 1970) during which the Medical Library of the University of Virginia experimented with a new remote-access bibliographical control and retrieval system via its TWX machine. The system, called AIM-TWX, was sponsored by the Lister Hill National Center for Biomedical Communications and utilizes a timeshared IBM 360/67 computer in Santa Monica, California. Citations from 109 clinically-oriented journals from 1966 to date, including those currently included in the Abridged Index Medicus, may be retrieved either on- or off-line.
Various aspects of this service are described, including problems of staffing, training, and record keeping, as well as the role of the MeSH vocabulary which is the principle “language” of the man-computer dialog.
The statistical results indicated that the system was used for approximately 200 minutes on nineteen days and that an average of sixteen searches were run on any given day, or about 4.6 searches per hour of use. In spite of an inexperienced staff who had little knowledge of the MeSH vocabulary and whose training schedule was limited to one four-hour session, the experiment was highly successful in terms of searches and citations.
At the end of the period, 298 searches had been run for 114 requestors, and 5,343 citations had been produced. Only fifty-five searches yielded no citations. The experiment generated a great deal of excitement and interest among the staff of the Library and of the Medical Center. Moreover, a large number of medical practitioners in large and small communities of Virginia participated in this experiment, indicating that there exists a great demand for this type of literature searching which AIM-TWX is able to provide with great rapidity.
PMCID: PMC197615  PMID: 5172472
8.  Basic Journal List for Small Hospital Libraries 
This Basic Journal List of forty-eight journal titles is intended as a selection guide for the librarian of the small hospital. It is based on a survey of physicians in Virginia who were asked to review journal titles contained in the 1967 edition of a list compiled by Mr. Alfred N. Brandon. The List is designed for the library in a hospital of from 100 to 300 beds and for the active clinician.
PMCID: PMC200764  PMID: 5789819

Results 1-25 (40)