PMCC PMCC

Search tips
Search criteria

Advanced
Results 1-5 (5)
 

Clipboard (0)
None

Select a Filter Below

Journals
Authors
more »
Year of Publication
2.  RhD blocking phenomenon implicated in an immunohaematological diagnostic dilemma in a case of RhD-haemolytic disease of the foetus 
Blood Transfusion  2013;11(1):140-142.
doi:10.2450/2012.0005-12
PMCID: PMC3557484  PMID: 22790265
blocked D phenomenon; Rh-haemolytic disease of foetus; immunoglobulins; RhD typing
3.  Evaluation of transfusion-related complications along with estimation of inhibitors in patients with hemophilia: A pilot study from a single center 
Background:
Apart from inhibitor development in patients with hemophilia (PWH) the old problems of blood borne viral infections and red cell alloimmunization still persist in PWH from developing countries. This study was planned to detect the presence of inhibitors in our PWH and to determine the presence of transfusion transmitted infections (TTI) markers and clinically significant red cell alloantibodies in these patients.
Materials and Methods:
One hundred fourteen PWH were screened for various laboratory tests. Screening for inhibitors was done by mixing study. Blood grouping, TTI testing and red cell alloantibody detection were done as per the departmental standard operating procedures.
Results:
Out of 114 patients evaluated 98(86%) had hemophilia A and remaining 16(14%) had hemophilia B. Five (5.1%) patients of hemophilia A were positive on inhibitor screening. On Bethesda assay, one patient was high responder (14.4 BU/ml) and rest 4 were low responders (<5 BU/ml). Overall, 19 PWH were positive for TTI markers and two had clinically significant red cell alloantibody (anti-E and anti-Jkb).
Conclusion:
This is probably first comprehensive study from our state on laboratory testing in PWH. The specialty of Transfusion Medicine can be a core part of hemophilia care. The overall prevalence of inhibitors in our hemophilia A patients was 5.1%, which is less as compared to majority of published studies.
doi:10.4103/0973-6247.106714
PMCID: PMC3613672  PMID: 23559756
Hemophilia; inhibitor; transfusion-related complications
4.  Seroprevalence of malaria in blood donors and multi-transfused patients in Northern India: Relevance to prevention of transfusion-transmissible malaria 
Background:
Transfusion-transmissible malaria (TTM) is a major concern in malaria endemic countries. A study was therefore conducted to know sero-prevalence of malaria in blood donors and the risk of TTM to multi-transfused patients at our hospital.
Materials and Methods:
Study subjects were: eligible blood donors (n = 1000), donors deferred due to history of fever in the last 3 months (n = 100), and multi-transfused patients (n = 200). Screening for malaria was done by slide microscopy, immunochromatographic rapid diagnostic test (RDT) for malaria antigen, and anti-malaria antibody by enzyme linked immunosorbent assay.
Results:
Malaria antibody prevalence in eligible donors and donors with history of fever, thalassemia patients, and in other multi-transfused patients was 16.9%, 22%, 6%, and 15%, respectively. None of the donors were positive for malaria on microscopic examination. None of the blood donors except one donor with history of fever, tested positive with RDT.
Conclusion:
Malaria antibody prevalence in blood donors at our center is high. As blood units donated by such donors have high-risk potential, special processing may be undertaken to reduce the risk of TTM.
doi:10.4103/0973-6247.98937
PMCID: PMC3439759  PMID: 22988385
Anti-malaria antibody; blood donor; multi-transfused patients; serology; transfusion-transmitted malaria

Results 1-5 (5)