Search tips
Search criteria

Results 1-3 (3)

Clipboard (0)

Select a Filter Below

more »
Year of Publication
1.  Endobronchial Mycobacterium avium Infection in an Immunocompetent Patient 
Infection & Chemotherapy  2013;45(1):99-104.
Although Mycobacterium avium complex (MAC) is the most common pathogen in nontuberculous mycobacterial (NTM) pulmonary diseases, endobronchial lesions caused by MAC infections are very rare even in an immunocompromised host. Herein, we describe the case of a 59-year-old, HIV-negative and non-immunocompromised woman who developed multifocal pulmonary infiltrations with endobronchial lesion caused by M. avium. Bronchoscopic examination revealed white- and yellow-colored irregular mucosal lesions in the bronchus of the left lingular division. M. avium was identified using sputum culture and bronchial washing fluid culture. Following the recommendations of the American Thoracic Society and Infectious Diseases Society of America (ATS/IDSA), the patient was begun on treatment with antimycobacterial drugs. After treatment, pneumonic infiltration decreased.
PMCID: PMC3780944  PMID: 24265956
Mycobacterium avium; Immunocompetent host; Nontuberculosis mycobacteria
2.  An Adult Case of Severe Chronic Active Epstein-Barr Virus Infection with T-Cell Lymphoproliferative Disorder 
PMCID: PMC3529251  PMID: 23269893
Epstein-Barr virus infections; T-cell lymphoproliferative disorder; Adult
3.  Clinical characteristics and outcomes of primary bone lymphoma in Korea 
The Korean Journal of Hematology  2012;47(3):213-218.
This study evaluates the effectiveness of immunochemotherapy and radiation therapy in the treatment of patients with primary bone lymphoma (PBL).
We retrospectively reviewed the medical records of 33 patients with PBL who were treated at 6 medical centers in Korea from 1992 to 2010. Clinicopathological features and treatment outcomes were analyzed.
The median age of the patients participating in our study was 40 years. The most common sites of involvement were the pelvis (12.36%) and femur (11.33%). CHOP (cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisolone) or CHOP-like regimens were administered to 20 patients (61%), and R-CHOP (rituximab plus CHOP) was administered to the remaining 13 patients (39%). The overall response rate was 89% (complete response, 76%; partial response, 12%). The overall survival (OS) of patients with solitary bone lesions was longer than that of patients with multiple bone lesions (median OS: not reached vs. 166 months, respectively; P=0.089). Addition of rituximab to CHOP did not significantly affect either OS or progression-free survival (P=0.53 and P=0.23, respectively). Combining radiation therapy with chemotherapy also did not improve the OS or progression-free survival of patients with solitary bone lesions.
Conventional cytotoxic chemotherapy remains an effective treatment option for patients with PBL. Additional benefits of supplementing chemotherapy with either rituximab or radiation therapy were not observed in this study. Further investigation is needed to characterize the role of immunochemotherapy in treating patients with PBL.
PMCID: PMC3464339  PMID: 23071477
Bone lymphoma; Radiotherapy; Rituximab

Results 1-3 (3)