1. Muir Gray J. Evidence-based healthcare: how to make health policy and management decisions. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 1998.
2. Haines A, Donald A, eds. Getting research into practice. London: BMJ Books, 1998.
3. Trinder L, Reynolds S, eds. Evidence-based practice: a critical appraisal. Oxford: Blackwell Science, 2000.
4. Davenport TK, Prusak L Working knowledge: how organisations manage what they know. Boston: Harvard Business School Press, 1998.
5. Polanyi M. Personal knowledge: towards a post-critical philosophy. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1958.
6. Polanyi M. The tacit dimension. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1967.
7. Nonaka I, Takeuchi H. The knowledge creating company: how Japanese companies create the dynamics of innovation. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1995.
8. Lave J. The values of quantification. In: Law J, ed. Power, action and belief: a new sociology of knowledge? (Sociological Review Monograph 32.) London: Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1986.
9. Dopson S, Fitzgerald L, Ferlie E, Gabbay J, Locock L. No magic targets! Changing clinical practice to become more evidence based. Health Care Manage Rev
2002;27: 35-47. [PubMed] 10. Le May A, Mulhall A, Alexander C. Bridging the research practice gap: exploring the research cultures of practitioners and managers. J Adv Nurs
1998;28: 428-37. [PubMed]
11. Fitzgerald L, Ferlie E, Wood M, Hawkins C. Interlocking interactions, the diffusion of innovations in health care. Hum Relat
12. Ferlie E, Fitzgerald L, Wood M. Getting evidence into clinical practice: an organisational behaviour perspective. J Health Serv Res Policy
2000;5: 96-102. [PubMed]
13. Hamm RM. Medical decision scripts: combining cognitive scripts and judgement strategies to account fully for medical decision making. In: Hardman D, Macchi L, eds. Thinking: psychological perspectives on reasoning, judgement and decision making. London and New York: John Wiley and Sons, 2003: 315-45.
14. Andre M, Borgquist L, Foldevi M, Molstad S. Asking for `rules of thumb': a way to discover tacit knowledge in general practice. Fam Pract
2002;19: 617-22. [PubMed] 15. Andre M, Borgquist L, Molstad S. Use of rules of thumb in the consultation in general practice—an act of balance between the individual and the general perspective. Fam Pract
2003;20: 514-9. [PubMed]
16. Pope CJ. Resisting evidence: the study of evidence-based medicine as a contemporary social movement. Health: An Interdisciplinary Journal for the Social Study of Health, Illness and Medicine
17. Eriksen TH. Small places, large issues: an introduction to social and cultural anthropology. London: Pluto Press, 2001.
18. Agar MH. The professional stranger. San Diego: Academic Press, 1996.
19. Spradley JP. The ethnographic interview. Florida: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1979.
20. Weick K. Sensemaking in organizations. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 1995.
21. Wenger E. Communities of practice: learning, meaning and identity. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1998.
22. Brown JS, Duguid P. Organisational learning and communities of practice: towards a unified view of working, learning, and innovation. Organisational Science
23. Gabbay J, le May A, Jefferson H, Webb D, Lovelock R, Powell J, et al. A case study of knowledge management in multi-agency consumer-informed “communities of practice”: implications for evidence-based policy development in health and social services. Health: An interdisciplinary Journal for the Social Study of Health, Illness and Medicine
24. Lincoln Y, Guba R. Naturalistic inquiry. Beverly Hills: Sage, 1985.
25. Choo CW. The knowing organization: how organizations use information to construct meaning, create knowledge and make decisions. New York and Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1998.
26. Brown JS, Duguid P. The social life of information. Boston: Harvard Business School Press, 2000.
27. Latour B. Science in action: how to follow scientists and engineers through society. Boston: Harvard University Press, 1988.
28. Callon M. Some elements of a sociology of translation: domestication of the scallops and the fishermen of St Brieuc Bay. In: Law J, ed. Power, action and belief: a new sociology of knowledge? (Sociological Review Monograph 32.) London: Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1986.
29. Coleman JS, Katz E, Menzel H. Medical innovation, a diffusion study. Indianapolis: Dobbs Merrill, 1966.
30. Locock L, Dopson S, Chambers D, Gabbay J. Understanding the role of opinion leaders in improving clinical effectiveness. Soc Sci Med
2001;53: 745-57. [PubMed]