The bi-annual Nottingham International Breast Cancer Meetings are centered upon the presentation of submitted short papers on key areas of breast cancer-related clinical work and research. In addition, there are five invited lectures and a large number of workshops and poster sessions. The fundamental aim is to be an inclusive meeting with significant discussion and participation by most delegates.
At this year's meeting, the five invited lectures were:
1) HER2: a new target for therapy in breast cancer: Dennis Slamon (Los Angeles, USA)
2) The biology of endocrine response in breast cancer - influence of growth factors: Robert Nicholson (Cardiff, UK)
3) Critical review of prognostic and predictive factors: Ian Ellis (Nottingham, UK)
4) Breast cancer in Europe: Umberto Veronesi (Milan, Italy)
5) Optimising local control in breast cancer: Cocq van de Velde (Leiden, The Netherlands)
In addition, major plenary sessions were held on breast screening, role of post-operative radiotherapy, endocrine therapies, chemotherapy and dose intensity, ovarian suppression and ductal carcinoma in situ.