1. Ngo-Metzger Q, Telfair J, Sorkin D, Weidmer B, Weech-Maldonado R, Hurtado M, Hays RD. Cultural Competency and Quality of Care: Obtaining the Patient’s Perspective. NY: Commonwealth Fund; 2006.
2. Weech-Maldonado R, Dreachslin JL, Dansky KH, et al. Racial/ethnic diversity management and cultural competency: The case of Pennsylvania hospitals. Journal of Healthcare Management. 2002;47:111–126. [PubMed]
3. National Quality Forum. A Comprehensive Framework and Preferred Practices for Measuring and Reporting Cultural Competency. Washington DC: National Quality Forum; 2008.
4. Institute of Medicine (IOM) Crossing the Quality Chasm. In: Kohn L, C J, Donaldson M, editors. Committee on Quality Health Care in America. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press; 2001.
5. McWhinney I. The Need for a Transformed Clinical Method. In: Stewart M, R D, editors. Communicating with medical patients. London: Sage; 1989. pp. 25–40.
6. Crofton C, Lubalin JS, Darby C. Foreword. Medical Care. 1999;37:MS1–MS9. [PubMed] 8. Morales LS, Elliott MN, Weech-Maldonado R, et al. Differences in CAHPS adult survey reports and ratings by race and ethnicity: an analysis of the National CAHPS benchmarking data 1.0. Health Services Research. 2001;36:595–618. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 9. Weech-Maldonado R, Morales LS, Spritzer K, et al. Racial and ethnic differences in parents’ assessments of pediatric care in Medicaid managed care. Health Services Research. 2001;36:575–594. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 10. Weech-Maldonado R, Morales LS, Elliott M, et al. Race/ethnicity, language, and patients’ assessments of care in Medicaid managed care. Health Services Research. 2003;38:789–808. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 11. Weech-Maldonado R, Elliott MN, Morales LS, et al. Health plan effects on patient assessments of Medicaid managed care among racial/ethnic minorities. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2004;19:136–145. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 12. Weech-Maldonado R, Fongwa MN, Gutierrez P, et al. Language and regional differences in evaluations of Medicare managed care by Hispanics. Health Services Research. 2008;43:552–568. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 13. Carle A, Weech-Maldonado R, Weidmer B, et al. Does the CAHPS Cultural Competence Survey Provide Equivalent Measurement Across English and Spanish Versions? Medical Care. In Press. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
14. Bethell C, Carter K, Latzke B, et al. Measuring and interpreting health care quality across culturally-diverse populations: A focus on consumer-reported indicators of health care quality. Portland: Foundation for Accountability; 2003.
15. Weidmer B, Brach C, Hays RD. Developing a CAHPS Item Set to Address Health Literacy. Medical Care. In Press. [PubMed]
16. Lambert BL, Street RL, Cegala DJ, et al. Provider-patient communication, patient-centered care, and the mangle of practice. Health Communication. 1997;9:27–43.
17. Agency for Health Care Research and Quality (AHRQ) National Healthcare Disparities Report. Rockville: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; 2003.
18. Collins KS, H D, Doty MM, Ives BL, Edwards JN, Tenney K. Diverse Communities, Common Concerns: Assessing Health Care Quality for Minority Americans. New York: The Commonwealth Fund; 2002.
19. Hurtado M, Frazier K, Levin A, et al. Valued aspects of ambulatory Health Care: Comparing patients and Health Care providers based on office visit accounts. AcademyHealth Annual Meeting; 2005. abstract no. 4214.
20. Murray-García JL, Selby JV, Schmittdiel J, et al. Racial and ethnic differences in a patient survey: patients’ values, ratings, and reports regarding physician primary care performance in a large health maintenance organization. Medical Care. 2000;38:300–310. [PubMed] 21. Nápoles-Springer AM, Santoyo J, Houston K, et al. Patients’ perceptions of cultural factors affecting the quality of their medical encounters. Health Expectations. 2005;8:4–17. [PubMed] 22. Ngo-Metzger Q, Legedza ATR, Phillips RS. Asian Americans’ reports of their health care experiences. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2004;19:111–119. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 23. Saha S, Arbelaez JJ, Cooper LA. Patient-physician relationships and racial disparities in the quality of health care. American Journal of Public Health. 2003;93:1713–1719. [PubMed] 24. Eisenberg DM, Kessler RC, Foster C, et al. Unconventional medicine in the United States--prevalence, costs, and patterns of use. New England Journal of Medicine. 1993;328:246–252. [PubMed] 25. Barnes PM, Powell-Griner E, McFann K, et al. Complementary and alternative medicine use among adults: United States, 2002. Advance Data. 2004:1–19. [PubMed] 26. Pappas S, Perlman A. Complementary and alternative medicine: the importance of doctor-patient communication. Medical Clinics of North America. 2002;86:1–10. [PubMed] 27. Robinson A, McGrail M. Disclosure of CAM use to medical practitioners: a review of qualitative and quantitative studies. Complementary Therapies in Medicine. 2004;12:90–98. [PubMed] 28. Richardson MA, Straus SE. Complementary and alternative medicine: opportunities and challenges for cancer management and research. Elsevier; 2002. pp. 531–545. [PubMed]
30. Center for Mental Health Services. Mental health: culture, race, and ethnicity—a supplement to Mental Health: A Report of the Surgeon General. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration: Department of Health and Human Services; 2001.
31. Agency for Health Care Research and Quality (AHRQ) National Healthcare Disparities Report 2011. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration: Department of Health and Human Services; 2012.
32. Thom DH, Kravitz RL, Bell RA, et al. Patient trust in the physician: relationship to patient requests. Family Practice. 2002;19:476–483. [PubMed] 33. Hunt KA, Gaba A, Lavizzo-Mourey R. Racial and ethnic disparities and perceptions of health care: does health plan type matter? Health Services Research. 2005;40:551–576. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
34. Schnittker J. Social distance in the clinical encounter: interactional and sociodemographic foundations for mistrust in physicians. Social Psychology Quarterly. 2004;67:217–235.
35. Meredith LS, Siu AL. Variation and quality of self-report health data: Asians and Pacific Islanders compared with other ethnic groups. Medical Care. 1995:1120–1131. [PubMed] 36. LaVeist TA, Nickerson KJ, Bowie JV. Attitudes about racism, medical mistrust, and satisfaction with care among African American and white cardiac patients. Medical Care Research and Review. 2000;57:146–161. [PubMed]
37. Institute of Medicine (IOM) Committee on Understanding and Eliminating Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. In: Smedley BD, S A, Nelson AR, editors. Unequal treatment: confronting racial and ethnic disparities in healthcare. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2003.
38. King WD, Wong MD, Shapiro MF, et al. Does Racial Concordance Between HIV-positive Patients and Their Physicians Affect the Time to Receipt of Protease Inhibitors? Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2004;19:1146–1153. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 39. Benkert R, Peters RM, Clark R, et al. Effects of perceived racism, cultural mistrust and trust in providers on satisfaction with care. Journal of the National Medical Association. 2006;98:1532–1540. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 40. Sorkin DH, Ngo-Metzger Q, De Alba I. Racial/ethnic discrimination in health care: impact on perceived quality of care. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2010;25:390–396. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 41. Hausmann LRM, Hannon MJ, Kresevic DM, et al. Impact of Perceived Discrimination in Healthcare on Patient-Provider Communication. Medical Care. 2011;49:626–633. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 42. Weech-Maldonado R, Hall A, Bryant T, et al. The Relationship between Perceived Discrimination and Patient Experiences with Care. Medical Care. In press. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
43. U.S. Census Bureau. Census 2000 Summary File 3, Matrices P19, P20, PCT13, and PCT14. Washington, DC: 2000.
44. Solis JM, Marks G, Garcia M, et al. Acculturation, access to care, and use of preventive services by Hispanics: findings from HHANES 1982-84. American Journal of Public Health. 1990;80:11–19. [PubMed] 45. Stein JA, Fox SA. Language preference as an indicator of mammography use among Hispanic women. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 1990;82:1715–1716. [PubMed] 46. Timmins CL. The impact of language barriers on the health care of Latinos in the United States: a review of the literature and guidelines for practice. The Journal of Midwifery & Women’s Health. 2002;47:80–96. [PubMed] 47. Kirkman-Liff B, Mondragon D. Language of interview: relevance for research of southwest Hispanics. American Journal of Public Health. 1991;81:1399–1404. [PubMed] 48. Morales LS, Cunningham WE, Brown JA, et al. Are Latinos less satisfied with communication by health care providers? Journal of General Internal Medicine. 1999;14:409–417. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 49. Carrasquillo O, Orav EJ, Brennan TA, et al. Impact of language barriers on patient satisfaction in an emergency department. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 1999;14:82–87. [PubMed] 50. Grant Makers in Health (GIH) the Right Words: Addressing Language and Culture in Providing Health Care. San Francisco, CA: Grantmakers Health; 2003. [PubMed] 51. Jacobs EA, Lauderdale DS, Meltzer D, et al. Impact of Interpreter Services on Delivery of Health Care to Limited–English-proficient Patients. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2001;16:468–474. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 52. Tocher TM, Larson EB. Do Physicians Spend More Time with Non-English-Speaking Patients? Journal of General Internal Medicine. 1999;14:303–309. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
53. Weidmer B, Hurtado M, Weech-Maldonado R, Ngo-Metzger Q, Bogen K. Guidelines for Translating CAHPS Surveys. Prepared by the CAHPS II Cultural Comparability Team. 2006
54. Muthén LK, Muthén BO. Mplus User’s Guide. Los Angeles: CA: Muthén & Muthén; 2009.
55. Hair JF Jr, Black W, Babin B, et al., editors. Multivariate Data Analysis. Auflage, Upper Saddle River NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall; 2006.
56. Hu L, Bentler PM. Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: Conventional criteria versus new alternatives. Structural Equation Modeling: A Multidisciplinary Journal. 1999;6:1–55.
57. Muthén B. A general structural equation model with dichotomous, ordered categorical, and continuous latent variable indicators. Psychometrika. 1984;49:115–132.
58. Hays RD, Hayashi T. Beyond internal consistency reliability: rationale and user’s guide for multitrait analysis program on the microcomputer. Behavior Research Methods. 1990;22:167–175.
60. Carle A, Weech-Maldonado R. Validly interpreting patients’ reports: Using bifactor and multidimensional models to determine whether surveys and scales measure one or more constructs. Medical Care. In press. [PubMed] 61. Stern RJ, Fernandez A, Jacobs EA, et al. Advances in Measuring Culturally Competent Care: A Confirmatory Factor Analysis of CAHPS-CC in a Safety-Net Population. Medical Care. In press. [PMC free article] [PubMed]