1. Mohan A, Sharma SK. History. In: Sharma SK, Mohan A, editors. Tuberculosis. 2nd ed. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers; 2009. pp. 7–15.
2. Rubin SA. Tuberculosis. Captain of all these men of death. Radiol Clin North Am. 1995;33:619–39. [PubMed] 3. Rosenblatt MB. Pulmonary tuberculosis: evolution of modern therapy. Bull NY Acad Med. 1973;49:163–96. [PubMed]
4. Dubos R, Dubos J. Boston: Little, Brown and Company; 1952. The white plague. Tuberculosis, man and society.
5. Waksman SA. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press; 1964. The conquest of tuberculosis.
6. Keers RY. London: Bailliere-Tindall; 1978. Pulmonary tuberculosis - A journey down the centuries.
7. Sakula A. Robert Koch: centenary of the discovery of the tubercle bacillus, 1882. Thorax. 1982;37:246–51. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
8. World Health Organization. WHO Report on the TB epidemic. WHO/TB/94.177. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1994. TB. A global emergency.
9. Sharma SK, Mohan A. Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. Indian J Med Res. 2004;120:354–76. [PubMed] 10. Sharma SK, Mohan A. Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: a menace that threatens to destabilize tuberculosis control. Chest. 2006;130:261–72. [PubMed]
11. Guidelines on Programmatic Management of Drug Resistant TB (PMDT) in India. New Delhi: Central TB Division, Directorate General of Health Services, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare; 2012. Central TB Division. Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme.
12. Extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR-TB): recommendations for prevention and control. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2006;81:430–2. [No authors listed] [PubMed] 13. Migliori GB, De Iaco G, Besozzi G, Centis R, Cirillo DM. First tuberculosis cases in Italy resistant to all tested drugs. Euro Surveill. 2007;12:E070517.1. [PubMed] 14. Migliori GB, Loddenkemper R, Blasi F, Raviglione MC. 125 years after Robert Koch's discovery of the tubercle bacillus: the new XDR-TB threat. Is “science” enough to tackle the epidemic? Eur Respir J. 2007;29:423–7. [PubMed] 15. Velayati AA, Masjedi MR, Farnia P, Tabarsi P, Ghanavi J, Ziazarifi AH, et al. Emergence of new forms of totally drug-resistant tuberculosis bacilli: super extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis or totally drug-resistant strains in Iran. Chest. 2009;136:420–5. [PubMed] 16. Velayati AA, Farnia P, Masjedi MR, Ibrahim TA, Tabarsi P, Haroun RZ, et al. Totally drug-resistant tuberculosis strains: evidence of adaptation at the cellular level. Eur Respir J. 2009;34:1202–3. [PubMed] 17. Udwadia ZF, Amale RA, Ajbani KK, Rodrigues C. Totally drug-resistant tuberculosis in India. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;54:579–81. [PubMed] 18. Mudur G. Indian health ministry challenges report of totally drug resistant tuberculosis. BMJ. 2012;344:e702. [PubMed] 19. Hill AR, Premkumar S, Brustein S, Vaidya K, Powell S, Li PW, et al. Disseminated tuberculosis in the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome era. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1991;144:1164–70. [PubMed] 20. Sharma SK, Mohan A, Gupta R, Kumar A, Gupta AK, Singhal VK, et al. Clinical presentation of tuberculosis in patients with AIDS: an Indian experience. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci. 1997;39:213–20. [PubMed] 21. Wang JY, Hsueh PR, Wang SK, Jan IS, Lee LN, Liaw YS, et al. Disseminated tuberculosis: a 10-year experience in a medical center. Medicine (Baltimore) 2007;86:39–46. [PubMed]
22. Sharma SK, Mohan A. Miliary tuberculosis. In: Agarwal AK, editor. Clinical medicine update - 2006. New Delhi: Indian Academy of Clinical Medicine; 2006. pp. 353–60.
23. Sharma SK, Mohan A, Sharma A, Mitra DK. Miliary tuberculosis: new insights into an old disease. Lancet Infect Dis. 2005;5:415–30. [PubMed] 24. Sahn SA, Neff TA. Miliary tuberculosis. Am J Med. 1974;56:494–505. [PubMed]
25. Sharma SK, Mohan A. Disseminated and miliary tuberculosis. In: Sharma SK, Mohan A, editors. Tuberculosis. 2nd ed. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers; 2009. pp. 494–518.
26. Baker SK, Glassroth J. Miliary tuberculosis. In: Rom WN, Garay SM, editors. Tuberculosis. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2004. pp. 427–44.
27. Sharma SK, Mohan A. Miliary tuberculosis. In: Schlossberg D, editor. Tuberculosis and non-tuberculous mycobacterial diseases. 6th ed. Washington: ASM Press; 2011. pp. 415–35.
28. Sharma SK, Mohan A, Sharma A. Challenges in the diagnosis & treatment of miliary tuberculosis. Indian J Med Res. 2012;135:703–30. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
29. Treatment of tuberculosis. Guidelines. 4th ed. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2010. World Health Organization. WHO/HTM/ TB/2009.420.
30. Revised National TB Control Programme. Annual Status Report. New Delhi: Central TB Division, Directorate General of Health Services, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare; 2012. [accessed on February 28, 2013]. Central TB Division, Government of India. TB India 2012. Available from: http://tbcindia.nic.in/pdfs/TB%20India%202012-%20Annual%20Report.pdf . 31. Frieden TR, Munsiff SS. The DOTS strategy for controlling the global tuberculosis epidemic. Clin Chest Med. 2005;26:197–205. v. [PubMed] 32. Banerjee R, Allen J, Westenhouse J, Oh P, Elms W, Desmond E, et al. Extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis in california, 1993-2006. Clin Infect Dis. 2008;47:450–7. [PubMed] 33. Kim DH, Kim HJ, Park SK, Kong SJ, Kim YS, Kim TH, et al. Treatment outcomes and survival based on drug resistance patterns in multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010;182:113–9. [PubMed] 34. Migliori GB, Centis R, D’Ambrosio L, Spanevello A, Borroni E, Cirillo DM, et al. Totally drug-resistant and extremely drug-resistant tuberculosis: the same disease? Clin Infect Dis. 2012;54:1379–80. [PubMed] 35. Zumla A, Abubakar I, Raviglione M, Hoelscher M, Ditiu L, McHugh TD, et al. Drug-resistant tuberculosis--current dilemmas, unanswered questions, challenges, and priority needs. J Infect Dis. 2012;205(Suppl 2):S228–40. [PubMed] 38. Chadha VK, Kumar P, Jagannatha PS, Vaidyanathan PS, Unnikrishnan KP. Average annual risk of tuberculous infection in India. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2005;9:116–8. [PubMed] 39. Chadha VK, Sarin R, Narang P, John KR, Chopra KK, Jitendra R, et al. Trends in the annual risk of tuberculous infection in India. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2013;17:312–9. [PubMed] 40. Zignol M, van Gemert W, Falzon D, Sismanidis C, Glaziou P, Floyd K, et al. Surveillance of anti-tuberculosis drug resistance in the world: an updated analysis, 2007-2010. Bull World Health Organ. 2012;90:111–119D. [PubMed] 42. Ramachandran R, Nalini S, Chandrasekar V, Dave PV, Sanghvi AS, Wares F, et al. Surveillance of drug-resistant tuberculosis in the state of Gujarat, India. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2009;13:1154–60. [PubMed]
43. Paramasivan CN. Antituberculosis drug resistance surveillance. In: Sharma SK, Mohan A, editors. Tuberculosis. 2nd ed. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers; 2009. pp. 714–33.
44. Sharma SK, Kumar S, Saha PK, George N, Arora SK, Gupta D, et al. Prevalence of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis among category II pulmonary tuberculosis patients. Indian J Med Res. 2011;133:312–5. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 45. Sharma SK, Kaushik G, Jha B, George N, Arora SK, Gupta D, et al. Prevalence of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis among newly diagnosed cases of sputum-positive pulmonary tuberculosis. Indian J Med Res. 2011;133:308–11. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 46. Thomas A, Ramachandran R, Rehaman F, Jaggarajamma K, Santha T, Selvakumar N, et al. Management of multi drug resistance tuberculosis in the field: Tuberculosis Research Centre experience. Indian J Tuberc. 2007;54:117–24. [PubMed] 47. Sharma SK, George N, Kadhiravan T, Saha PK, Mishra HK, Hanif M. Prevalence of extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis among patients with multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: a retrospective hospital-based study. Indian J Med Res. 2009;130:392–5. [PubMed] 48. Rajasekaran S, Chandrasekar C, Mahilmaran A, Kanakaraj K, Karthikeyan DS, Suriakumar J. HIV coinfection among multidrug resistant and extensively drug resistant tuberculosis patients - a trend. J Indian Med Assoc. 2009;107:281. [PubMed] 49. Paramasivan CN, Rehman F, Wares F, Sundar Mohan N, Sundar S, Devi S, et al. First- and second-line drug resistance patterns among previously treated tuberculosis patients in India. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2010;14:243–6. [PubMed] 50. Thomas A, Joseph P, Nair D, Rao DV, Rekha VV, Selvakumar N, et al. Extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis: experience at the Tuberculosis Research Centre, Chennai, India. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2011;15:1323–5. [PubMed] 51. Myneedu VP, Visalakshi P, Verma AK, Behera D, Bhalla M. Prevalence of XDR TB cases - a retrospective study from a tertiary care TB hospital. Indian J Tuberc. 2011;58:54–9. [PubMed] 52. Joseph P, Desai VB, Mohan NS, Fredrick JS, Ramachandran R, Raman B, et al. Outcome of standardized treatment for patients with MDR-TB from Tamil Nadu, India. Indian J Med Res. 2011;133:529–34. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 53. Balaji V, Daley P, Anand AA, Sudarsanam T, Michael JS, Sahni RD, et al. Risk factors for MDR and XDR-TB in a tertiary referral hospital in India. PLoS One. 2010;5:e9527. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
54. Jain S, Rodrigues C, Mehta A, Udwadia ZF. High prevalence of XDR-TB from a tertiary care hospital in India. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2007;175:A510.
55. Datta BS, Hassan G, Kadri SM, Qureshi W, Kamili MA, Singh H, et al. Multidrug-resistant and extensively drug resistant tuberculosis in Kashmir, India. J Infect Dev Ctries. 2009;4:19–23. [PubMed] 56. Murray M, Oxlade O, Lin HH. Modeling social, environmental and biological determinants of tuberculosis. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2011;15(Suppl 2):S64–70. [PubMed] 57. Lawn SD, Zumla AI. Tuberculosis. Lancet. 2011;378:57–72. [PubMed] 58. Möller M, de Wit E, Hoal EG. Past, present and future directions in human genetic susceptibility to tuberculosis. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol. 2010;58:3–26. [PubMed] 59. Najmi N, Kaur G, Sharma SK, Mehra NK. Human Toll-like receptor 4 polymorphisms TLR4 Asp299Gly and Thr399Ile influence susceptibility and severity of pulmonary tuberculosis in the Asian Indian population. Tissue Antigens. 2010;76:102–9. [PubMed] 60. Sharma S, Rathored J, Ghosh B, Sharma SK. Genetic polymorphisms in TNF genes and tuberculosis in North Indians. BMC Infect Dis. 2010;10:165. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 61. Rathored J, Sharma SK, Singh B, Banavaliker JN, Sreenivas V, Srivastava AK, et al. Risk and outcome of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: vitamin D receptor polymorphisms and serum 25(OH)D. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2012;16:1522–8. [PubMed] 62. Sharma SK, Mohan A, Kadhiravan T. HIV-TB co-infection: epidemiology, diagnosis & management. Indian J Med Res. 2005;121:550–67. [PubMed] 63. Padmapriyadarsini C, Narendran G, Swaminathan S. Diagnosis & treatment of tuberculosis in HIV co-infected patients. Indian J Med Res. 2011;134:850–65. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 64. Pawlowski A, Jansson M, Sköld M, Rottenberg ME, Källenius G. Tuberculosis and HIV co-infection. PLoS Pathog. 2012;8:e1002464. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 65. Whalen C, Horsburgh CR, Hom D, Lahart C, Simberkoff M, Ellner J. Accelerated course of human immunodeficiency virus infection after tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1995;151:129–35. [PubMed] 66. Daley CL, Small PM, Schecter GF, Schoolnik GK, McAdam RA, Jacobs WR, Jr, et al. An outbreak of tuberculosis with accelerated progression among persons infected with the human immunodeficiency virus: an analysis using restriction fragment length polymorphisms. N Engl J Med. 1992;326:231–5. [PubMed] 67. Modjarrad K, Vermund SH. Effect of treating co-infections on HIV-1 viral load: a systematic review. Lancet Infect Dis. 2010;10:455–63. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 68. Sonnenberg P, Murray J, Glynn JR, Shearer S, Kambashi B, Godfrey-Faussett P. HIV-1 and recurrence, relapse, and reinfection of tuberculosis after cure: a cohort study in South African mineworkers. Lancet. 2001;358:1687–93. [PubMed] 69. Small PM, Shafer RW, Hopewell PC, Singh SP, Murphy MJ, Desmond E, et al. Exogenous reinfection with multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis in patients with advanced HIV infection. N Engl J Med. 1993;328:1137–44. [PubMed] 70. Korenromp EL, Scano F, Williams BG, Dye C, Nunn P. Effects of human immunodeficiency virus infection on recurrence of tuberculosis after rifampin-based treatment: an analytical review. Clin Infect Dis. 2003;37:101–12. [PubMed] 71. Corbett EL, Watt CJ, Walker N, Maher D, Williams BG, Raviglione MC, et al. The growing burden of tuberculosis: global trends and interactions with the HIV epidemic. Arch Intern Med. 2003;163:1009–21. [PubMed] 72. Narain JP, Raviglione MC, Kochi A. HIV-associated tuberculosis in developing countries: epidemiology and strategies for prevention. Tuber Lung Dis. 1992;73:311–21. [PubMed] 73. Toossi Z. Virological and immunological impact of tuberculosis on human immunodeficiency virus type 1 disease. J Infect Dis. 2003;188:1146–55. [PubMed] 74. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Transmission of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis among immunocompromised persons in a correctional system- New York, 1991. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1992;41:507–9. [PubMed] 75. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Outbreak of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis at a hospital - New York City, 1991. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1993;42(427):433–4. [PubMed] 76. Pearson ML, Jereb JA, Frieden TR, Crawford JT, Davis BJ, Dooley SW, et al. Nosocomial transmission of multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis. A risk to patients and health care workers. Ann Intern Med. 1992;117:191–6. [PubMed] 77. Beck-Sague C, Dooley SW, Hutton MD, Otten J, Breeden A, Crawford JT, et al. Hospital outbreak of multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis infections. Factors in transmission to staff and HIV-infected patients. JAMA. 1992;268:1280–6. [PubMed] 78. Fischl MA, Daikos GL, Uttamchandani RB, Poblete RB, Moreno JN, Reyes RR, et al. Clinical presentation and outcome of patients with HIV infection and tuberculosis caused by multiple-drug-resistant bacilli. Ann Intern Med. 1992;117:184–90. [PubMed] 79. Swaminathan S, Paramasivan CN, Ponnuraja C, Iliayas S, Rajasekaran S, Narayanan PR. Anti-tuberculosis drug resistance in patients with HIV and tuberculosis in South India. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2005;9:896–900. [PubMed] 80. Pereira M, Tripathy S, Inamdar V, Ramesh K, Bhavsar M, Date A, et al. Drug resistance pattern of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in seropositive and seronegative HIV-TB patients in Pune, India. Indian J Med Res. 2005;121:235–9. [PubMed] 81. Wells CD, Cegielski P, Nelson LJ, Laserson KF, Holtz TH, Finlay A, et al. HIV infection and multidrug resistant tuberculosis: the perfect storm. J Infect Dis. 2007;196(Suppl 1):S86–S107. [PubMed] 82. Jeon CY, Murray MB. Diabetes mellitus increases the risk of active tuberculosis: a systematic review of 13 observational studies. PLoS Med. 2008;5:e152. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 83. Harries AD, Billo N, Kapur A. Links between diabetes mellitus and tuberculosis: should we integrate screening and care? Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2009;103:1–2. [PubMed] 84. Stevenson CR, Forouhi NG, Roglic G, Williams BG, Lauer JA, Dye C, et al. Diabetes and tuberculosis: the impact of the diabetes epidemic on tuberculosis incidence. BMC Public Health. 2007;7:234. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 85. Solovic I, Sester M, Gomez-Reino JJ, Rieder HL, Ehlers S, Milburn HJ, et al. The risk of tuberculosis related to tumour necrosis factor antagonist therapies: a TBNET consensus statement. Eur Respir J. 2010;36:1185–206. [PubMed] 86. Dixon WG, Hyrich KL, Watson KD, Lunt M, Galloway J, Ustianowski A. BSR BR Control Centre Consortium, Symmons DP; BSR Biologics Register. Drug-specific risk of tuberculosis in patients with rheumatoid arthritis treated with anti-TNF therapy: results from the British Society for Rheumatology Biologics Register (BSRBR) Ann Rheum Dis. 2010;69:522–8. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 87. Pai M, Mohan A, Dheda K, Leung CC, Yew WW, Christopher DJ, et al. Lethal interaction: the colliding epidemics of tobacco and tuberculosis. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2007;5:385–91. [PubMed] 88. Ferrara G, Murray M, Winthrop K, Centis R, Sotgiu G, Migliori GB, et al. Risk factors associated with pulmonary tuberculosis: smoking, diabetes and anti-TNF alpha drugs. Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2012;18:233–40. [PubMed] 89. Gajalakshmi V, Peto R, Kanaka TS, Jha P. Smoking and mortality from tuberculosis and other diseases in India: retrospective study of 43000 adult male deaths and 35000 controls. Lancet. 2003;362:507–15. [PubMed] 90. Lin H-H, Ezzati M, Murray M. Tobacco smoke, indoor air pollution and tuberculosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS Med. 2007;4:e20. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 91. Slama K, Chiang CY, Enarson DA, Hassmiller K, Fanning A, Gupta P, et al. Tobacco and tuberculosis: a qualitative systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2007;11:1049–61. [PubMed] 92. Sharma SK, Mohanan S, Sharma A. Relevance of latent TB infection in areas of high TB prevalence. Chest. 2012;142:761–73. [PubMed] 93. Tiemersma EW, van der Werf MJ, Borgdorff MW, Williams BG, Nagelkerke NJ. Natural history of tuberculosis: duration and fatality of untreated pulmonary tuberculosis in HIV negative patients: a systematic review. PLoS One. 2011;6:e17601. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 94. Sharma SK, Mohan A. Extrapulmonary tuberculosis. Indian J Med Res. 2004;120:316–53. [PubMed] 95. Marais BJ. Childhood tuberculosis: epidemiology and natural history of disease. Indian J Pediatr. 2011;78:321–7. [PubMed] 96. Sharma SK, Kadhiravan T, Banga A. A clinical prediction rule to identify patients with tuberculosis at high risk for HIV co-infection. Indian J Med Res. 2009;130:51–7. [PubMed] 97. Sharma SK, Mohan A, Pande JN, Prasad KL, Gupta AK, Khilnani GC. Clinical profile, laboratory characteristics and outcome in miliary tuberculosis. QJM. 1995;88:29–37. [PubMed] 98. Proudfoot AT, Akhtar AJ, Douglas AC, Horne NW. Miliary tuberculosis in adults. Br Med J. 1969;2:273–6. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 99. Yu YL, Chow WH, Humphries MJ, Wong RW, Gabriel M. Cryptic miliary tuberculosis. QJM. 1986;59:421–8. [PubMed] 100. Deng W, Yu M, Ma H, Hu LA, Chen G, Wang Y, et al. Predictors and outcome of patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome caused by miliary tuberculosis: a retrospective study in Chongqing, China. BMC Infect Dis. 2012;12:121. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 101. Lee K, Kim JH, Lee JH, Lee WY, Park MS, Kim JY, et al. Acute respiratory distress syndrome caused by miliary tuberculosis: a multicentre survey in South Korea. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2011;15:1099–103. [PubMed] 102. Sharma SK, Mohan A, Banga A, Saha PK, Guntupalli KK. Predictors of development and outcome in patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome due to tuberculosis. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2006;10:429–35. [PubMed] 103. Mohan A, Sharma SK, Pande JN. Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) in miliary tuberculosis: a twelve year experience. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci. 1996;38:157–62. [PubMed] 104. Hayakawa K, Ramasamy B, Chandrasekar PH. Fever of unknown origin: an evidence-based Review. Am J Med Sci. 2012;344:307–16. [PubMed] 105. Bandyopadhyay D, Bandyopadhyay R, Paul R, Roy D. Etiological study of fever of unknown origin in patients admitted to medicine ward of a teaching hospital of eastern India. J Glob Infect Dis. 2011;3:329–33. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 106. Grossman C, Kushinka J, Brath LK. A 41-year-old woman with AIDS, mediastinal lymphadenopathy, and fever of unknown origin. Am J Med Sci. 2008;336:349–52. [PubMed] 107. Sharma SK, Smith-Rohrberg D, Tahir M, Mohan A, Seith A. Radiological manifestations of splenic tuberculosis: a 23-patient case series from India. Indian J Med Res. 2007;125:669–78. [PubMed] 108. Kingma BJ, van den Berg W, Schuurmans MM, Molenaar AH. A patient with back pain and fever. Eur Respir J. 1992;5:1292–5. [PubMed] 109. Ibrarullah M, Mohan A, Sarkari A, Srinivas M, Mishra A, Sundar TS. Abdominal tuberculosis: diagnosis by laparoscopy and colonoscopy. Trop Gastroenterol. 2002;23:150–3. [PubMed] 110. Arch-Ferrer JE, Velázquez-Fernández D, Sierra-Madero J, López-Karpovitch X, Angeles-Angeles A, Gamino R, et al. Laparoscopic approach to fever of unknown origin. Surg Endosc. 2003;17:494–7. [PubMed] 111. Liu A, Hu Y, Coates A. Sudden cardiac death and tuberculosis - How much do we know? Tuberculosis (Edinb) 2012;92:307–13. [PubMed] 112. Biedrzycki OJ, Baithun SI. TB-related sudden death (TBRSD) due to myocarditis complicating miliary TB: a case report and review of the literature. Am J Forensic Med Pathol. 2006;27:335–6. [PubMed] 113. Breton G, Leclerc S, Longuet P, Leport C, Vildé JL, Laissy JP. Myocardial localisation of tuberculosis: the diagnostic value of cardiac MRI. Presse Med. 2005;34:293–6. [PubMed] 114. Bansal M, Mehrotra R, Kasliwal RR. Loss of left ventricular torsion as the predominant mechanism of left ventricular systolic dysfunction in a patient with tubercular cardiomyopathy. Echocardiography. 2012;29:E221–5. [PubMed] 115. Baussano I, Nunn P, Williams B, Pivetta E, Bugiani M, Scano F. Tuberculosis among health care workers. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011;17:488–94. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 116. Jarand J, Shean K, O’Donnell M, Loveday M, Kvasnovsky C, Van der Walt M, et al. Extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR-TB) among health care workers in South Africa. Trop Med Int Health. 2010;15:1179–84. [PubMed] 117. Welbel SF, French AL, Bush P, DeGuzman D, Weinstein RA. Protecting health care workers from tuberculosis: a 10-year experience. Am J Infect Control. 2009;37:668–73. [PubMed] 118. Screening for tuberculosis and tuberculosis infection in high risk populations. Recommendations of the Advisory Council for the Elimination of Tuberculosis. MMWR Recomm Rep. 1995;44:19–34. [No authors listed] [PubMed] 119. Pinto LM, Grenier J, Schumacher SG, Denkinger CM, Steingart KR, Pai M. Immunodiagnosis of tuberculosis: state of the art. Med Princ Pract. 2012;21:4–13. [PubMed] 120. Denkinger CM, Dheda K, Pai M. Guidelines on interferon-gamma release assays for tuberculosis infection: concordance, discordance or confusion? Clin Microbiol Infect. 2011;17:806–14. [PubMed] 121. Metcalfe JZ, Everett CK, Steingart KR, Cattamanchi A, Huang L, Hopewell PC, et al. Interferon-γ release assays for active pulmonary tuberculosis diagnosis in adults in low- and middle-income countries: systematic review and meta-analysis. J Infect Dis. 2011;204(Suppl 4):S1120–9. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 122. Rangaka MX, Wilkinson KA, Glynn JR, Ling D, Menzies D, Mwansa-Kambafwile J, et al. Predictive value of interferon- g release assays for incident active tuberculosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2012;12:45–55. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 123. Tuberculosis: Clinical Diagnosis and Management of Tuberculosis, and Measures for Its Prevention and Control. NICE clinical guideline 117. London, England: Royal College of Physicians of London; 2011. [accessed on February 28, 2013]. National Collaborating Centre for Chronic Conditions and the Centre for Clinical Practice at NICE. Available from: http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/13422/53642/53642.pdf . 125. Use of tuberculosis interferongamma release assays (IGRAs) in Low- and Middle-Income Countries: Policy Statement. WHO/HTM/TB/ 2011.18. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2011. [accessed on February 28, 2013]. World Health Organization. Available from: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2011/9789241502672_eng.pdf . 126. Dheda K, Ruhwald M, Theron G, Peter J, Yam WC. Point-of-care diagnosis of tuberculosis: past, present and future. Respirology. 2013;18:217–32. [PubMed] 127. Palomino JC. Current developments and future perspectives for TB diagnostics. Future Microbiol. 2012;7:59–71. [PubMed] 128. Maiga M, Abaza A, Bishai WR. Current tuberculosis diagnostic tools & role of urease breath test. Indian J Med Res. 2012;135:731–6. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 129. Rodrigues C, Shenai S, Sadani M, Sukhadia N, Jani M, Ajbani K, et al. Evaluation of the Bactec MGIT 960 TB system for recovery and identification of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex in a high through put tertiary care centre. Indian J Med Microbiol. 2009;27:217–21. [PubMed] 130. Shen GH, Chen CH, Hung CH, Wu KM, Lin CF, Sun YW, et al. Combining the Capilia TB assay with smear morphology for the identification of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2009;13:371–6. [PubMed] 131. Tortoli E, Marcelli F. Use of the INNO LiPA Rif. TB for detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis DNA directly in clinical specimens and for simultaneous determination of rifampin susceptibility. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2007;26:51–5. [PubMed] 132. Brossier F, Veziris N, Aubry A, Jarlier V, Sougakoff W. Detection by GenoType MTBDRsl test of complex mechanisms of resistance to second-line drugs and ethambutol in multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex isolates. J Clin Microbiol. 2010;48:1683–9. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 133. Dorman SE. New diagnostic tests for tuberculosis: bench, bedside, and beyond. Clin Infect Dis. 2010;50(Suppl 3):S173–7. [PubMed] 134. Parsons LM, Somoskövi A, Gutierrez C, Lee E, Paramasivan CN, Abimiku A, et al. Laboratory diagnosis of tuberculosis in resource-poor countries: challenges and opportunities. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2011;24:314–50. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 135. Shikama Mde L, Silva RR, Martins MC, Giampaglia CM, Oliveira RS, Silva RF, et al. Rapid detection of resistant tuberculosis by nitrate reductase assay performed in three settings in Brazil. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2009;64:794–6. [PubMed] 136. Martin A, Portaels F, Palomino JC. Colorimetric redox-indicator methods for the rapid detection of multidrug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2007;59:175–83. [PubMed] 137. Lawn SD, Nicol MP. Xpert® MTB/RIF assay: development, evaluation and implementation of a new rapid molecular diagnostic for tuberculosis and rifampicin resistance. Future Microbiol. 2011;6:1067–82. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 138. Theron G, Pinto L, Peter J, Mishra HK, Mishra HK, van Zyl-Smit R, et al. The use of an automated quantitative polymerase chain reaction (Xpert MTB/RIF) to predict the sputum smear status of tuberculosis patients. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;54:384–8. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 139. van Zyl-Smit RN, Binder A, Meldau R, Mishra H, Semple PL, Theron G, et al. Comparison of quantitative techniques including Xpert MTB/RIF to evaluate mycobacterial burden. PLoS One. 2011;6:e28815. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 140. Ling DI, Zwerling AA, Pai M. GenoType MTBDR assays for the diagnosis of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: a metaanalysis. Eur Respir J. 2008;32:1165–74. [PubMed] 141. Martin A, Panaiotov S, Portaels F, Hoffner S, Palomino JC, Angeby K. The nitrate reductase assay for the rapid detection of isoniazid and rifampicin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2008;62:56–64. [PubMed] 142. Ling DI, Flores LL, Riley LW, Pai M. Commercial nucleic-acid amplification tests for diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis in respiratory specimens: meta-analysis and meta-regression. PLoS One. 2008;3:e1536. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 143. Neonakis IK, Spandidos DA, Petinaki E. Use of loop-mediated isothermal amplification of DNA for the rapid detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in clinical specimens. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2011;30:937–42. [PubMed] 144. Boehme CC, Nabeta P, Henostroza G, Raqib R, Rahim Z, Gerhardt M, et al. Operational feasibility of using loop-mediated isothermal amplification for diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis in microscopy centers of developing countries. J Clin Microbiol. 2007;45:1936–40. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 145. Phillips M, Basa-Dalay V, Bothamley G, Cataneo RN, Lam PK, Natividad MP, et al. Breath biomarkers of active pulmonary tuberculosis. Tuberculosis (Edinb) 2010;90:145–51. [PubMed] 146. Phillips M, Basa-Dalay V, Blais J, Bothamley G, Chaturvedi A, Modi KD, et al. Point-of-care breath test for biomarkers of active pulmonary tuberculosis. Tuberculosis (Edinb) 2012;92:314–20. [PubMed]
147. Commercial serodiagnostic tests for diagnosis of tuberculosis: policy statement. WHO/HTM/TB/2011.5. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2011. World Health Organization.
149. Seibert AF, Haynes J, Jr, Middleton R, Bass JB., Jr Tuberculous pleural effusion. Twenty-year experience. Chest. 1991;99:883–6. [PubMed] 150. Escudero Bueno C, Garcia Clemente M, Cuesta Castro B, Molinos Martin L, Rodriguez Ramos S, Gonzalez Panizo A, et al. Cytologic and bacteriologic analysis of fluid and pleural biopsy specimens with Cope's needle. Study of 414 patients. Arch Intern Med. 1990;150:1190–4. [PubMed] 151. Gopi A, Madhavan SM, Sharma SK, Sahn SA. Diagnosis and treatment of tuberculous pleural effusion in 2006. Chest. 2007;131:880–9. [PubMed] 152. Sharma SK, Suresh V, Mohan A, Kaur P, Saha P, Kumar A, et al. A prospective study of sensitivity and specificity of adenosine deaminase estimation in the diagnosis of tuberculosis pleural effusion. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci. 2001;43:149–55. [PubMed] 153. Sharma SK, Banga A. Pleural fluid interferon-gamma and adenosine deaminase levels in tuberculosis pleural effusion: a cost-effectiveness analysis. J Clin Lab Anal. 2005;19:40–6. [PubMed] 154. Marshall JB. Tuberculosis of the gastrointestinal tract and peritoneum. Am J Gastroenterol. 1993;88:989–99. [PubMed] 155. Guirat A, Koubaa M, Mzali R, Abid B, Ellouz S, Affes N, et al. Peritoneal tuberculosis. Clin Res Hepatol Gastroenterol. 2011;35:60–9. [PubMed] 156. Sharma SK, Tahir M, Mohan A, Smith-Rohrberg D, Mishra HK, Pandey RM. Diagnostic accuracy of ascitic fluid IFN-gamma and adenosine deaminase assays in the diagnosis of tuberculous ascites. J Interferon Cytokine Res. 2006;26:484–8. [PubMed] 157. Fowler NO. Tuberculous pericarditis. JAMA. 1991;266:99–103. [PubMed] 158. Reuter H, Burgess L, van Vuuren W, Doubell A. Diagnosing tuberculous pericarditis. QJM. 2006;99:827–39. [PubMed] 159. Galimi R. Extrapulmonary tuberculosis: tuberculous meningitis new developments. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2011;15:365–86. [PubMed] 160. Cherian A, Thomas SV. Central nervous system tuberculosis. Afr Health Sci. 2011;11:116–27. [PubMed] 161. Murthy JM. Tuberculous meningitis: the challenges. Neurol India. 2010;58:716–22. [PubMed] 162. Tuon FF, Higashino HR, Lopes MI, Litvoc MN, Atomiya AN, Antonangelo L, et al. Adenosine deaminase and tuberculous meningitis - a systematic review with meta-analysis. Scand J Infect Dis. 2010;42:198–207. [PubMed] 163. Xu HB, Jiang RH, Li L, Sha W, Xiao HP. Diagnostic value of adenosine deaminase in cerebrospinal fluid for tuberculous meningitis: a meta-analysis. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2010;14:1382–7. [PubMed]
164. Stop TB Partnership and WHO. The global plan to stop TB, 20112015: transforming the fight towards elimination of tuberculosis. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2010. World Health Organization.
166. McAdams HP, Erasmus J, Winter JA. Radiologic manifestations of pulmonary tuberculosis. Radiol Clin North Am. 1995;33:655–78. [PubMed] 167. Jeong YJ, Lee KS. Pulmonary tuberculosis: up-to-date imaging and management. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2008;191:834–44. [PubMed] 168. Hara T, Kosaka N, Suzuki T, Kudo K, Niino H. Uptake rates of 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose and 11C-choline in lung cancer and pulmonary tuberculosis: a positron emission tomography study. Chest. 2003;124:893–901. [PubMed] 169. Iyengar KP, Vinjamuri S. Role of 99mTc Sulesomab in the diagnosis of prosthetic joint infections. Nucl Med Commun. 2005;26:489–96. [PubMed] 170. Singh B, Prasad V, Bhattacharya A, Singh AK, Bhatnagar A, Mittal BR, et al. Diagnosis of mandibular osteomyelitis in probable coexisting tumor recurrence: role of Tc-99m ciprofloxacin imaging. Clin Nucl Med. 2008;33:525–7. [PubMed] 171. Zhang H, Jiang NY, Zhu L. Experimental studies on imaging of infected site with (99m)Tc-labeled ciprofloxacin in mice. Chin Med J (Engl) 2009;122:1907–9. [PubMed] 172. Sharma R, Tewari KN, Bhatnagar A, Mondal A, Mishra AK, Singh AK, et al. Tc-99m ciprofloxacin scans for detection of tubercular bone infection. Clin Nucl Med. 2007;32:367–70. [PubMed] 173. Bhardwaj V, Agrawal M, Suri T, Sural S, Kashyap R, Dhal A. Evaluation of adequacy of short-course chemotherapy for extraspinal osteoarticular tuberculosis using 99mTc ciprofloxacin scan. Int Orthop. 2011;35:1869–74. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
174. Donald PR, van Helden PD. Progress in Respiratory Research. Vol. 40. Basel: Karger; 2011. Antituberculosis chemotherapy.
175. Dubos RJ. Bactericidal effect of an extract of a soil bacillus on Gram positive cocci. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 1939;40:311–2.
176. Feldman WH, Hinshaw HC. Effects of streptomycin on experimental tuberculosis in guinea pigs: a preliminary report. Proc Staff Meet Mayo Clin. 1944;19:593–9.
177. Feldman W, Hinshaw HC, Mann FC. Streptomcin in experimental tuberculosis. Am Rev Tuberc. 1945;52:269–98.
178. Hinshaw HC, Feldman WH, Pfuetze KH. Treatment of tuberculosis with streptomycin: a summary of observations on one hundred cases. J Am Med Assoc. 1946;132:778–82. [PubMed] 179. Streptomycin treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis. Br Med J. 1948;2:769–82. [No authors listed] [PMC free article] [PubMed] 180. Lehmann J. Paraaminosalicylic acid in the treatment of tuberculosis. Lancet. 1946;1:15–6. [PubMed] 181. Treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis with streptomycin and para-amino-salicylic acid; a Medical Research Council investigation. Br Med J. 1950;2:1073–85. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
182. New drugs for tuberculosis. N Engl J Med. 1952;246:797–9. Anonymous.
183. Isoniazid in the treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis; Second report to the Medical Research Council by their Tuberculosis Chemotherapy Trials Committee. Br Med J. 1953;1:521–36. [No authors listed] [PMC free article] [PubMed] 184. Medical Research Council Investigation. Isoniazid in combination with streptomycin or with PAS in the treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis. Br Med J. 1953;2:1005–14. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
185. Long term chemotherapy in the treatment of chronic pulmonary tuberculosis with cavitation: a report to the Medical Research Council by their Tuberculosis Chemotherapy Trials Committee: Tubercle. 1962;43:201–67.
186. Wilkerson RG, Sheperd RG, Thomas DP, Baughn C. Stereospecificity in a new type of antituberculosis agent. J Am Chem Soc. 1961;83:2212–3.
187. Fox W. Ambulatory chemotherapy in a developing country: clinical and epidemiological studies. Adv Tuberc Res. 1963;12:28–149. [PubMed]
188. Fox W. Methods of chemotherapy in developing countries. Bull Int Union Tuberc. 1966;337:249–60.
189. Sensi P. History of the development of rifampin. Rev Infect Dis. 1983;5(Suppl 3):S402–6. [PubMed] 190. Short-course chemotherapy in pulmonary tuberculosis. A controlled trial by the British Thoracic and Tuberculosis Association. Lancet. 1976;ii:1102–4. [No authors listed] [PubMed] 191. Zhang Y, Mitchison D. The curious characteristics of pyrazinamide: a review. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2003;7:6–21. [PubMed] 192. Yeager RL, Munroe WG, Dessau FI. Pyrazinamide (Aldinamide) in the treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis. Am Rev Tuberc. 1952;65:523–46. [PubMed] 193. Controlled clinical trial of short-course (6-month) regimens of chemotherapy for treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis. Lancet. 1972;1:1079–85. [No authors listed] [PubMed] 194. A controlled trial of 6 months’ chemotherapy in pulmonary tuberculosis. Final report: results during the 36 months after the end of chemotherapy and beyond. British Thoracic Society. Br J Dis Chest. 1984;78:330–6. [No authors listed] [PubMed] 195. Chauhan LS. RNTCP: past, present and future of TB control programme in India. J Commun Dis. 2006;38:191–203. [PubMed]
196. Granich R, Chauhan LS. The Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme (RNTCP) In: Sharma SK, Mohan A, editors. Tuberculosis. 2nd ed. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers; 2009. pp. 894–917.
197. Sachdeva KS, Kumar A, Dewan P, Kumar A, Satyanarayana S. New vision for Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme (RNTCP): Universal access - “Reaching the un-reached” Indian J Med Res. 2012;135:690–4. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 198. Menzies D, Benedetti A, Paydar A, Martin I, Royce S, Pai M, et al. Effect of duration and intermittency of rifampin on tuberculosis treatment outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS Med. 2009;6:e1000146. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 199. Khan FA, Minion J, Pai M, Royce S, Burman W, Harries AD, et al. Treatment of active tuberculosis in HIV-coinfected patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Infect Dis. 2010;50:1288–99. [PubMed] 200. Swaminathan S, Narendran G, Venkatesan P, Ramachandran R, Sekar L, Iliayas S, et al. Acquired rifampicin resistance in HIV-infected and -uninfected patients with TB treated with a thrice-weekly short-course regimen. Poster presented at Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI), Montreal. 2009. [accessed on December 29, 2012]. Available from: http://www.retroconference.org/2009/Abstracts/35234.htm . 202. Sharma SK, Solanki R, Mohan A, Jain NK, Chauhan LS. Pleural Effusion Study Group. Outcomes of Category III DOTS treatment in immunocompetent patients with tuberculosis pleural effusion. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2012;16:1505–9. [PubMed] 203. Jindal SK, Aggarwal AN, Gupta D, Ahmed Z, Gupta KB, Janmeja AK, et al. Tuberculous lymphadenopathy - a multicentre operational study of 6-month, thrice weekly, directly observed therapy. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2013;17:234–9. [PubMed] 204. Antiretroviral therapy for HIV infection in adults and adolescents. Recommendations for a public health approach: 2010 revision. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2010. World Health Organization. [PubMed] 205. Pozniak AL, Coyne KM, Miller RF, Lipman MC, Freedman AR, Ormerod LP, et al. BHIVA Guidelines Subcommittee. British HIV Association guidelines for the treatment of TB/HIV coinfection 2011. HIV Med. 2011;12:517–24. [PubMed] 206. Guidelines for the programmatic management of drug-resistant tuberculosis: 2011 update. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2011. World Health Organization. [PubMed] 207. Niemi M, Backman JT, Fromm MF, Neuvonen PJ, Kivisto KT. Pharmacokinetic interactions with rifampicin: clinical relevance. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2003;42:819–50. [PubMed]
208. Yew WW. Treatment of tuberculosis. In: Sharma SK, Mohan A, editors. Tuberculosis. 2nd ed. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers; 2009. pp. 751–75.
209. Sharma SK, Mohan A. Antituberculosis treatment induced hepatotoxicity: from bench to bed-side. In: Gupta SB, editor. Medicine update. Mumbai: Association of Physicians of India; 2005. pp. 479–84.
210. Sharma SK. Antituberculosis drugs and hepatotoxicity. Infect Genet Evol. 2004;4:167–70. [PubMed] 211. Saukkonen JJ, Cohn DL, Jasmer RM, Schenker S, Jereb JA, Nolan CM, et al. ATS (American Thoracic Society) Hepatotoxicity of Antituberculosis Therapy Subcommittee. An official ATS statement: hepatotoxicity of anti tuberculosis therapy. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006;174:935–52. [PubMed] 212. Singla R, Sharma SK, Mohan A, Makharia G, Sreenivas V, Jha B, et al. Evaluation of risk factors for antituberculosis treatment induced hepatotoxicity. Indian J Med Res. 2010;132:81–6. [PubMed] 213. Sharma SK, Singla R, Sreenivas V, Kumar S, Jha B, Rathored J, Singh S. Acute viral hepatitis as a confounding factor in patients with antituberculosis treatment induced hepatotoxicity. Indian J Med Res. 2009;130:200–1. [PubMed] 214. Sarda P, Sharma SK, Mohan A, Makharia G, Jayaswal A, Pandey RM, et al. Role of acute viral hepatitis as a confounding factor in antituberculosis treatment induced hepatotoxicity. Indian J Med Res. 2009;129:64–7. [PubMed] 215. Sharma SK, Singla R, Sarda P, Mohan A, Makharia G, Jayaswal A, et al. Safety of 3 different reintroduction regimens of antituberculosis drugs after development of antituberculosis treatment-induced hepatotoxicity. Clin Infect Dis. 2010;50:833–9. [PubMed] 216. Blumberg HM, Burman WJ, Chaisson RE, Daley CL, Etkind SC, Friedman LN, et al. American Thoracic Society, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Infectious Diseases Society. American Thoracic Society/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/Infectious Diseases Society of America. Treatment of tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2003;167:603–62. [PubMed] 217. Joint Tuberculosis Committee of the British Thoracic Society. Chemotherapy and management of tuberculosis in the United Kingdom: recommendations. Thorax. 1998;53:536–48. [No authors listed] [PMC free article] [PubMed] 218. Meintjes G, Lawn SD, Scano F, Maartens G, French MA, Worodria W, et al. International Network for the Study of HIV-associated IRIS. Tuberculosis-associated immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome: case definitions for use in resource-limited settings. Lancet Infect Dis. 2008;8:516–23. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 219. Sharma SK, Soneja M. HIV & immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome (IRIS) Indian J Med Res. 2011;134:866–77. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 220. Sinha S, Sharma SK. Tuberculosis associated immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome. Indian J Tuberc. 2010;57:177–9. [PubMed] 221. Tahir M, Sinha S, Sharma SK, Mitsuyasu RT. Immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome manifesting as disseminated tuberculosis, deep venous thrombosis, encephalopathy and myelopathy. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci. 2008;50:363–4. [PubMed] 222. Tahir M, Sharma SK, Sinha S, Das CJ. Immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome in a patient with cryptococcal lymphadenitis as the first presentation of acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. J Postgrad Med. 2007;53:250–2. [PubMed] 223. Shelburne SA, Visnegarwala F, Darcourt J, Graviss EA, Giordano TP, White AC, Jr, et al. Incidence and risk factors for immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome during highly active antiretroviral therapy. AIDS. 2005;19:399–406. [PubMed] 224. Lawn SD, Myer L, Bekker LG, Wood R. Tuberculosis-associated immune reconstitution disease: incidence, risk factors and impact in an antiretroviral treatment service in South Africa. AIDS. 2007;21:335–41. [PubMed] 225. Narita M, Ashkin D, Hollender ES, Pitchenik AE. Paradoxical worsening of tuberculosis following antiretroviral therapy in patients with AIDS. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1998;158:157–61. [PubMed] 226. Kumarasamy N, Chaguturu S, Mayer KH, Solomon S, Yepthomi HT, Balakrishnan P, et al. Incidence of immune reconstitution syndrome in HIV/tuberculosis-coinfected patients after initiation of generic antiretroviral therapy in India. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2004;37:1574–6. [PubMed] 227. Sharma SK, Dhooria S, Barwad P, Kadhiravan T, Ranjan S, Miglani S, et al. A study of TB-associated immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome using the consensus case-definition. Indian J Med Res. 2010;131:804–8. [PubMed] 228. Karmakar S, Sharma SK, Vashishtha R, Sharma A, Ranjan S, Gupta D, et al. Clinical characteristics of tuberculosis associated immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome in North Indian population of HIV/AIDS patients receiving HAART. Clin Dev Immunol 2011. 2011:239021. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 229. WHO Three I's Meeting: Intensified Case Finding (ICF), Isoniazid Preventive Therapy (IPT) and TB Infection Control (IC) for People Living with HIV. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2008. [accessed on February 28, 2013]. World Health Organization, HIV/AIDS Department. Available from: http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/meetingreports/WHO_3Is_meeting_report.pdf .
230. Implementing the WHO Stop TB strategy: A handbook for national tuberculosis control programmes. WHO/HTM/TB/2008.401. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2008. World Health Organization.
231. Menzies D, Al Jahdali H, Al Otaibi B. Recent developments in treatment of latent tuberculosis infection. Indian J Med Res. 2011;133:257–66. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 232. Sterling TR, Villarino ME, Borisov AS, Shang N, Gordin F, et al. TB Trials Consortium PREVENT TB Study Team. Three months of rifapentine and isoniazid for latent tuberculosis infection. N Engl J Med. 2011;365:2155–66. [PubMed] 233. Sharma SK, Sharma A, Kadhiravan T, Tharyan P. Isoniazid monotherapy versus other monotherapies or combination chemotherapy for preventing active tuberculosis in HIVnegative persons (Protocol) Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009. [Accessed on February 28, 2013]. (1) . Art. No.: CD007545. Available from: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD007545/pdf . 234. Cain KP, Nelson LJ, Cegielski JP. Global policies and practices for managing persons exposed to multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2010;14:269–74. [PubMed] 235. Lienhardt C, Glaziou P, Uplekar M, Lönnroth K, Getahun H, Raviglione M. Global tuberculosis control: lessons learnt and future prospects. Nat Rev Microbiol. 2012;10:407–16. [PubMed]
236. Wares DF. Global tuberculosis control: the future prospects. In: Sharma SK, Mohan A, editors. Tuberculosis. 2nd ed. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers; 2009. pp. 874–93.
238. Sharma SK, Mohan A, Chauhan LS, Narain JP, Behera D, Kumar A, et al. for Task Force for Involvement of Medical Colleges in the Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme, Govt. of India. Contribution of medical colleges to tuberculosis control in India under the Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme (RNTCP): lessons learnt & challenges ahead. Indian J Med Res. 2013;137:283–94. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 239. WHO policy on TB infection control in health-care facilities, congregate settings and households. WHO/HTM/TB/2009.419. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2009. World Health Organization. [PubMed]
240. New Delhi: Directorate General of Health Services, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare; 2010. Directorate General of Health Services, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. Guidelines on airborne infection control in healthcare and other settings in the context of tuberculosis and other airborne infections April 2010 (Provisional)
241. Ottenhoff TH, Kaufmann SH. Vaccines against tuberculosis: where are we and where do we need to go? PLoS Pathog. 2012;8:e1002607. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 242. Brennan MJ, Thole J. Tuberculosis vaccines: a strategic blueprint for the next decade. Tuberculosis (Edinb) 2012;92(Suppl 1):S6–S13. [PubMed] 243. Trial of BCG vaccines in south India for tuberculosis prevention. Indian J Med Res. 1979;70:349–63. [PubMed] 244. Fifteen year follow up of trial of BCG vaccines in south India for tuberculosis prevention. Tuberculosis Research Centre (ICMR), Chennai. Indian J Med Res. 1999;110:56–69. [PubMed] 245. Colditz GA, Brewer TF, Berkey CS, Wilson ME, Burdick E, Fineberg HV, et al. Efficacy of BCG vaccine in the prevention of tuberculosis. Meta-analysis of the published literature. JAMA. 1994;271:698–702. [PubMed] 246. Trunz BB, Fine P, Dye C. Effect of BCG vaccination on childhood tuberculous meningitis and miliary tuberculosis worldwide: a meta-analysis and assessment of cost-effectiveness. Lancet. 2006;367:1173–80. [PubMed] 247. Tameris MD, Hatherill M, Landry BS, Scriba TJ, Snowden MA, Lockhart S, et al. the MVA85A 020 Trial Study Team. Safety and efficacy of MVA85A, a new tuberculosis vaccine, in infants previously vaccinated with BCG: a randomised, placebo-controlled phase 2b trial. Lancet. 2013;381:1021–8. [PubMed] 248. Wallis RS, Pai M, Menzies D, Doherty TM, Walzl G, Perkins MD, et al. Biomarkers and diagnostics for tuberculosis: progress, needs, and translation into practice. Lancet. 2010;375:1920–37. [PubMed] 249. Wallis RS, Wang C, Doherty TM, Onyebujoh P, Vahedi M, Laang H, et al. Biomarkers for tuberculosis disease activity, cure, and relapse. Lancet Infect Dis. 2010;10:68–9. [PubMed] 251. Zumla A, Hafner R, Lienhardt C, Hoelscher M, Nunn A. Advancing the development of tuberculosis therapy. Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2012;11:171–2. [PubMed] 252. Villemagne B, Crauste C, Flipo M, Baulard AR, Déprez B, Willand N. Tuberculosis: the drug development pipeline at a glance. Eur J Med Chem. 2012;51:1–16. [PubMed] 253. Koul A, Arnoult E, Lounis N, Guillemont J, Andries K. The challenge of new drug discovery for tuberculosis. Nature. 2011;469:483–90. [PubMed] 254. Kaufmann SH. Fact and fiction in tuberculosis vaccine research: 10 years later. Lancet Infect Dis. 2011;11:633–40. [PubMed] 255. McShane H. Tuberculosis vaccines: beyond bacille Calmette-Guerin. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2011;366:2782–9. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 256. Ottenhoff TH, Kaufmann SH. Vaccines against tuberculosis: where are we and where do we need to go? PLoS Pathog. 2012;8:e1002607. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 257. Brennan MJ, Thole J. Tuberculosis vaccines: a strategic blueprint for the next decade. Tuberculosis (Edinb) 2012;92(Suppl 1):S6–13. [PubMed] 258. Lee H, Yoon TJ, Weissleder R. Ultrasensitive detection of bacteria using core-shell nanoparticles and an NMR-filter system. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2009;48:5657–60. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 259. Qin D, He X, Wang K, Tan W. Using fluorescent nanoparticles and SYBR Green I based two-color flow cytometry to determine Mycobacterium tuberculosis avoiding false positives. Biosens Bioelectron. 2008;24:626–31. [PubMed] 260. Veigas B, Machado D, Perdigão J, Portugal I, Couto I, Viveiros M, et al. Au-nanoprobes for detection of SNPs associated with antibiotic resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Nanotechnology. 2010;21:415101. [PubMed] 262. Gler MT, Skripconoka V, Sanchez-Garavito E, Xiao H, Cabrera-Rivero JL, Vargas-Vasquez DE, et al. Delamanid for multidrug-resistant pulmonary tuberculosis. N Engl J Med. 2012;366:2151–60. [PubMed] 263. Diacon AH, Donald PR, Pym A, Grobusch M, Patientia RF, Mahanyele R, et al. Randomized pilot trial of eight weeks of bedaquiline (TMC207) treatment for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: long-term outcome, tolerability, and effect on emergence of drug resistance. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012;56:3271–6. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 264. Diacon AH, Dawson R, du Bois J, Narunsky K, Venter A, Donald PR, et al. Phase II dose-ranging trial of the early bactericidal activity of PA-824. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012;56:3027–31. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 265. Hartkoorn RC, Sala C, Neres J, Pojer F, Magnet S, Mukherjee R, et al. Towards a new tuberculosis drug: pyridomycin - nature's isoniazid. EMBO Mol Med. 2012;4:1032–42. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 266. Spigelman M, Woosley R, Gheuens J. New initiative speeds tuberculosis drug development: novel drug regimens become possible in years, not decades. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2010;14:663–4. [PubMed] 267. Dye C, Glaziou P, Floyd K, Raviglione M. Prospects for tuberculosis elimination. Annu Rev Public Health. 2013;34:271–86. [PubMed]