1. Osundiji MA, Evans ML. Hypothalamic glucose sensing and glycaemic disease. Curr Diabetes Rev. 2011;7:84–98. [PubMed] 2. Kalsbeek A, Bruinstroop E, Yi CX, Klieverik LP, La Fleur SE, Fliers E. Hypothalamic control of energy metabolism via the autonomic nervous system. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2010;1212:114–29. [PubMed] 3. Delaere F, Magnan C, Mithieux G. Hypothalamic integration of portal glucose signals and control of food intake and insulin sensitivity. Diabetes Metab. 2010;36:257–562. [PubMed] 4. Rhee SY, Woo JT. The prediabetic period: review of clinical aspects. Diabetes Metab J. 2011;35:107–16. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 5. Nyenwe EA, Dagogo-Jack S. Metabolic syndrome, prediabetes and the science of primary prevention. Minerva Endocrinol. 2011;36:129–45. [PubMed] 6. Kolb H, Eizirik DL. Resistance to type 2 diabetes mellitus: a matter of hormesis? Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2011 [Epub ahead of print] [PubMed] 7. Berenson GS, Agirbasli M, Nguyen QM, Chen W, Srinivasan SR. Glycemic status, metabolic syndrome, and cardiovascular risk in children. Med Clin North Am. 2011;95:409–17. [PubMed] 8. Dhingra R, Vasan RS. Diabetes and the risk of heart failure. Heart Fail Clin. 2012;8:125–33. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 9. Milman S, Crandall JP. Mechanisms of vascular complications in prediabetes. Med Clin North Am. 2011;95:309–25. [PubMed] 10. Colagiuri S. Epidemiology of prediabetes. Med Clin North Am. 2011;95:299–307. [PubMed] 11. Chen L, Magliano DJ, Zimmet PZ. The worldwide epidemiology of type 2 diabetes mellitus-present and future perspectives. Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2011 [Epub ahead of print] [PubMed] 12. Ho J, Leung AK, Rabi D. Hypoglycemic agents in the management of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Recent Pat Endocr Metab Immune Drug Discov. 2011;5:66–73. [PubMed] 13. Levetan C. Oral antidiabetic agents in type 2 diabetes. Curr Med Res Opin. 2007;23:945–52. [PubMed] 14. Plutzky J. Macrovascular effects and safety issues of therapies for type 2 diabetes. Am J Cardiol. 2011;108:25B–32B. [PubMed] 15. Madsbad S, Kielgast U, Asmar M, Deacon CF, Torekov SS, Holst JJ. An overview of once-weekly glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists-available efficacy and safety data and perspectives for the future. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2011;13:394–407. [PubMed] 16. Hollander P, Raslova K, Skjøth TV, Råstam J, Liutkus JF. Efficacy and safety of insulin detemir once daily in combination with sita-gliptin and metformin: the TRANSITION randomized controlled trial. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2011;13:268–75. [PubMed] 17. Starner CI, Schafer JA, Heaton AH, Gleason PP. Rosiglitazone and pioglitazone utilization from January 2007 through May 2008 associated with five risk-warning events. J Manag Care Pharm. 2008;14:523–31. [PubMed] 18. Home P. The challenge of poorly controlled diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Metab. 2003;29:101–9. [PubMed] 19. Lee T, Dugoua JJ. Nutritional supplements and their effect on glucose control. Curr Diab Rep. 2011;11:142–8. [PubMed] 20. Davì G, Santilli F, Patrono C. Nutraceuticals in diabetes and metabolic syndrome. Cardiovasc Ther. 2010;28:216–26. [PubMed] 21. Najm W, Lie D. Herbals used for diabetes, obesity, and metabolic syndrome. Prim Care. 2010;37:237–54. [PubMed] 22. Bartlett HE, Eperjesi F. Nutritional supplementation for type 2 diabetes: a systematic review. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2008;28:503–23. [PubMed] 23. Jadad AR, Moore RA, Carroll D, Jenkinson C, Reynolds DJ, Gavaghan DJ, et al. Assessing the quality of reports of randomized clinical trials: is blinding necessary? Controlled Clin Trials. 1996;17:1–12. [PubMed]
24. Patell VM. Screening method (metabolite grid) for therapeutic extracts and molecules for diabetes. 20110159118. US. 2011
25. Mazed MA, Mazed S. Nutritional supplement for the prevention of cardiovascular disease, alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, and regulation and reduction of blood sugar and insulin resistance. 8017147. US. 2011
26. Mitra A. Effects of a composite of tulsi leaves, amla bitter gourd, gurmur leaves, jamun fruit and seed in type 2 diabetic patients. J Clinical Diagnostic Research. 2007;6:511–20.
27. Faizal P, Suresh S, Satheesh Kumar R, Augusti KT. A study on the hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic effects of an ayurvedic drug Ra-janyamalakadi in diabetic patients. Indian J Clinical Biochem. 2009;24:82–7. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
28. Iyer U, Joshi A, Dhruv S. Impact of Amla (Embilica Officinalis) supplementation on the glycemic and lipidemic status of type 2 diabetic subjects. J Herbal Medicine and Toxicol. 2009;3:15–21.
29. Chen TS, Liou SY, Wu HC, Tsai FJ, Tsai CH, Huang CY, et al. Efficacy of epigallocatechin-3-gallate and amla (Emblica officinalis) extract for the treatment of diabetic-uremic patients. J Medicinal Food. 2011;14:718–23. [PubMed]
30. Pilgaonkar PS, Rustomjee MT, Gandhi AS, Suvarnapathaki RK. Dietary fiber compositions. 20110177175. US. 2011
31. Losso JN, Finley JW, Holliday DL, Mumphrey LA. Fenugreek flour for incorporating into food products. 20100266665. US. 2010
32. Pawan GK. A novel antidabetic furostanolic saponin rich (FSR) fraction from fenugreek seeds. 2010140165. WO. 2010
33. Murthy PS, Moorthy R, Prabhu KM, Puri D. Anti-diabetic and cholesterol lowering preparation from fenugreek seeds. 7815946. US. 2010
34. Madar Z, Abel R, Samish S, Arad J. Glucose-lowering effect of fenugreek in non-insulin dependent diabetics. Eur J Clin Nutr. 1988;42:51–4. [PubMed]
35. Sharma RD, Raghuram TC. Hypoglycaemic effect of fenugreek seeds in non-insulin dependent diabetic subjects. Nutr Res. 1990;10:731–9.
36. Raghuram TC, Sharma RD, Sivakumar B, Sahay BK. Effect of fenugreek seeds on intravenous glucose disposition in non-insulin dependent diabetic patients. Phytotherapy Research. 1994;8:83–6.
37. Bordia A, Verma SK, Srivastava KC. Effect of ginger (Zingiber officinale Rosc.) and fenugreek (Trigonella foenumgraecum L) on blood lipids, blood sugar and platelet aggregation in patients with coronary artery disease. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 1997;56:379–84. [PubMed] 38. Gupta A, Gupta R, Lal B. Effect of Trigonella foenum-graecum (fenugreek) seeds on glycaemic control and insulin resistance in type 2 diabetes mellitus: a double blind placebo controlled study. J Assoc Physicians India. 2001;49:1057–61. [PubMed] 39. Kochhar A, Nagi M. Effect of supplementation of traditional medicinal plants on blood glucose in non-insulin-dependent diabetics: a pilot study. J Med Food. 2005;8:545–9. [PubMed] 40. Lu FR, Shen L, Qin Y, Gao L, Li H, Dai Y. Clinical observation on trigonella foenum-graecum L. total saponins in combination with sulfonylureas in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Chin J Integr Med. 2008;14:56–60. [PubMed] 41. Kassaian N, Azadbakht L, Forghani B, Amini M. Effect of fenugreek seeds on blood glucose and lipid profiles in type 2 diabetic patients. Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 2009;79:34–39. [PubMed] 42. Abdel-Barry JA, Abdel-Hassan IA, Jawad AM, Al-Hakiem MH. Hypoglycaemic effect of aqueous extract of the leaves of Trigonella foenum-graecum in healthy volunteers. East Mediterr Health J. 2000;6:83–8. [PubMed] 43. Mathern JR, Raatz SK, Thomas W, Slavin JL. Effect of fenugreek fiber on satiety, blood glucose and insulin response and energy intake in obese subjects. Phytother Res. 2009;23:1543–8. [PubMed] 44. Chevassus H, Gaillard JB, Farret A, Costa F, Gabillaud I, Mas E, et al. A fenugreek seed extract selectively reduces spontaneous fat intake in overweight subjects. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2010;66:449–55. [PubMed]
45. Arthur D. Dietary supplement for promoting control of blood-sugar levels and associated pathology in type 2 diabetics. 2532332. CA. 2005
46. Yan L, Zhang T, Cheng H. A functional food for diabetic. 101156689. CN. 2008
47. Lelas A, Cepanec I. Formulation based micronized zeolite, green tea extract, and genistein as a therapeutic agent for reduction of body weight and cellulite. 2010097643. WO. 2010
48. Roozendaal A. Kit of parts comprising L-glutamine and EGCG. 2010107307. WO. 2010
49. Fukino Y, Shimbo M, Aoki N, Okubo T, Iso H. Randomized controlled trial for an effect of green tea consumption on insulin resistance and inflammation markers. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 2005;51:335–42. [PubMed] 50. Mackenzie T, Leary L, Brooks WB. The effect of an extract of green and black tea on glucose control in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus: double-blind randomized study. Metabolism. 2007;56:1340–4. [PubMed] 51. Nagao T, Meguro S, Hase T, Otsuka K, Komikado M, Tokimitsu I, et al. A catechin-rich beverage improves obesity and blood glucose control in patients with type 2 diabetes. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2009;17:310–7. [PubMed] 52. Hsu CH, Liao YL, Lin SC, Tsai TH, Huang CJ, Chou P. Does supplementation with green tea extract improve insulin resistance in obese type 2 diabetics? A randomized, double-blind, and placebo-controlled clinical trial. Altern Med Rev. 2011;16:157–63. [PubMed] 53. Fukino Y, Ikeda A, Maruyama K, Aoki N, Okubo T, Iso H. Randomized controlled trial for an effect of green tea-extract powder supplementation on glucose abnormalities. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2008;62:953–60. [PubMed] 54. Venables MC, Hulston CJ, Cox HR, Jeukendrup AE. Green tea extract ingestion, fat oxidation, and glucose tolerance in healthy humans. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008;87:778–84. [PubMed] 55. Brown AL, Lane J, Coverly J, Stocks J, Jackson S, Stephen A, et al. Effects of dietary supplementation with the green tea polyphenol epigallocatechin-3-gallate on insulin resistance and associated metabolic risk factors: randomized controlled trial. Br J Nutr. 2009;101:886–94. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 56. Josic J, Olsson AT, Wickeberg J, Lindstedt S, Hlebowicz J. Does green tea affect postprandial glucose, insulin and satiety in healthy subjects: a randomized controlled trial. Nutr J. 2010;9:63. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
57. Ye Y, James DE, Tan M, Cooney GJ, Ke C, Kraegen EW, Chen T, Ye J, Li X. Use of compounds extracted from momordica Charantia L. in the manufacture of medicaments for prevention and treatment of diabetes and obesity. 20110152208. US. 2011
58. Dixit A, Vashishta A, Sahu T, Choudhary SK, Murugesan A. Antidiabetic protein. 20110046054. US. 2011
59. Ye Y, James DE, Tan M, Cooney GJ, Ke C, Kraegen EW, Chen T, Ye J, LI X. Use of compounds extracted from momordica charantia L. in the manufacture of medicamedicaments for prevention and treatment of diabetes and obesity. 2255816. EP. 2010
60. Lee SY. Composition comprising an extract of herbal combination thereof for preventing and treating diabetes mellitus. 20110027305. US. 2011
61. Baldwa VS, Bhandari CM, Pangaria A, Goyal RK. Clinical trials in patients with diabetes mellitus of an insulin-like compound obtained from plant source. Ups J Med Sci. 1977;82:39–41. [PubMed] 62. Leatherdale BA, Panesar RK, Singh G, Atkins TW, Bailey CJ, Bignell AH. Improvement in glucose tolerance due to Momordica charantia (karela) Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1981;282:1823–4. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 63. Ahmad N, Hassan MR, Halder H, Bennoor KS. Effect of Momordica charantia (Karolla) extracts on fasting and postprandial serum glucose levels in NIDDM patients. Bangladesh Med Res Counc Bull. 1999;25:11–3. [PubMed] 64. John AJ, Cherian R, Subhash HS, Cherian AM. Evaluation of the efficacy of bitter gourd (momordica charantia) as an oral hypoglycemic agent--a randomized controlled clinical trial. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 2003;47:363–5. [PubMed] 65. Dans AM, Villarruz MV, Jimeno CA, Javelosa MA, Chua J, Bautista R, et al. The effect of Momordica charantia capsule preparation on glycemic control in type 2 diabetes mellitus needs further studies. J Clin Epidemiol. 2007;60:554–9. [PubMed] 66. Tongia A, Tongia SK, Dave M. Phytochemical determination and extraction of Momordica charantia fruit and its hypoglycemic potentiation of oral hypoglycemic drugs in diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 2004;48:241–4. [PubMed] 67. Fuangchan A, Sonthisombat P, Seubnukarn T, Chanouan R, Chotchaisuwat P, Sirigulsatien V, et al. Hypoglycemic effect of bitter melon compared with metformin in newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes patients. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011;134:422–8. [PubMed]
68. Hayes KC, Greenberg NA, Troup JP, Falk AL, Biolo G. Method and composition for nutritionally improving glucose control and insulin action. 20110305791. US. 2011
69. Romero T, Miller P. Methods and materials for reducing or eliminating risk factors associated with syndrome x. 20110052736. US. 2011
70. Tjandrawinata RR, Sinambela JM, Mayasari O, Deasy Diah Dwi RW, Puspasari M. Herbal extract as sensitivity enhancer toward insulin and antidiabetes. 20110177177. US. 2011
71. Patell VM, Henjarappa JB, Siddaiah CB, Ullant R. Synergistic herbal composition and process of preparation thereof. 20110064833. US. 2011
72. Khan A, Khattak KN, Safdar M, Anderson RA, Ali Khan MM. Cinnamon improves glucose and lipids of people with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2003;26:3215–8. [PubMed] 73. Mang B, Wolters M, Schmitt B, Kelb K, Lichtinghagen R, Stichtenoth DO, et al. Effects of a cinnamon extract on plasma glucose, HbA1c, and serum lipids in diabetes mellitus type 2. Eur J Clin Invest. 2006;36:340–4. [PubMed] 74. Crawford P. Effectiveness of cinnamon for lowering hemoglobin A1C in patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomized, controlled trial. J Am Board Fam Med. 2009;22:507–12. [PubMed] 75. Akilen R, Tsiami A, Devendra D, Robinson N. Glycated haemoglobin and blood pressure-lowering effect of cinnamon in multi-ethnic Type 2 diabetic patients in the UK: a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind clinical trial. Diabet Med. 2010;27:1159–67. [PubMed] 76. Vanschoonbeek K, Thomassen BL, Senden JM, Wodzig WK, van Loon LJ. Cinnamon supplementation does not improve glycemic control in postmenopausal type 2 diabetes patients. J Nutr. 2006;136:977–80. [PubMed] 77. Altschuler JA, Casella SJ, MacKenzie TA, Curtis KM. The effect of cinnamon on A1C among adolescents with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2007;30:813–6. [PubMed] 78. Blevins SM, Leyva MJ, Brown J, Wright J, Scofield RH, Aston CE. Effect of cinnamon on glucose and lipid levels in non insulin-dependent type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2007;30:2236–7. [PubMed] 79. Mettler S, Schwarz I, Colombani PC. Additive postprandial blood glucose-attenuating and satiety-enhancing effect of cinnamon and acetic acid. Nutr Res. 2009;29:723–7. [PubMed] 80. Solomon TP, Blannin AK. Changes in glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity following 2 weeks of daily cinnamon ingestion in healthy humans. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2009;105:969–76. [PubMed] 81. Hlebowicz J, Hlebowicz A, Lindstedt S, Björgell O, Höglund P, Holst JJ, et al. Effects of 1 and 3 g cinnamon on gastric emptying, satiety, and postprandial blood glucose, insulin, glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide, glucagon-like peptide 1, and ghrelin concentrations in healthy subjects. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009;89:815–21. [PubMed]