1. International Maritime Organization. 1997. MARPOL 73/78, consolidated ed. IMO 1997 419. London, UK.
2. Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act of 1980. 42 U.S.C. 9601.
3. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 1994. National oil and hazardous substances pollution contingency plan: Final Rule. Federal registration doc 94-22347. Washington, DC.
4. Huguenin MT, Haury DH, Weiss JC, Helton D, Manen C-A, Reinharz E, Michel J. 1996. Injury assessment. Guidance document for Natural Resource Damage Assessment under the Oil Polluion Act of 1990. Report prepared for National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Silver Spring, MD, USA.
5. Jones CA, Pease KA. Restoration-based compensation measures in natural resource liability statutes. Contemp Econ Policy. 1997;15:111–122.
6. Eureopean Parliament and Council of the European Union. 2004. European Liability Directive. Directive 2004/35/CE, article 14 (2), Luxembourg.
7. Viehman S, Thur SM, Piniak GA. Coral reef metrics and habitat equivalency analysis. Ocean Coast Manage. 2009;52:181–188.
8. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Summary for Policymakers. In: Solomon S, Qin D, Manning M, Chen Z, Marquis M, Averyt KB, Tignor M, Miller HL, editors. Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press; 2007.
9. Schiedek D, Sundelin B, Readman JW, Macdonald RW. Interactions between climate change and contaminants. Mar Pollut Bull. 2007;54:1845–1856. [PubMed] 10. Gouin T, Armitage JM, Cousins IT, Muir DGC, Ng CA, Reid L, Tao S. Influence of global climate change on chemical fate and bioaccumulation: The role of multimedia models. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2012;32:20–32. (this issue) [PubMed]
11. Symon C, Arris L, Heal B. Arctic Climate Impact Assessment. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press; 2005.
12. Arctic Council. 2009. Arctic marine shipping assessment 2009 report. Arctic Council, Oslo, Norway.
13. Macdonald RW, Harner T, Fyfe J, Loeng H, Weingartner T. 2003. AMAP Assessment 2002: The Influence of Global Change on Hazardous substance Pathways to, within, and from the Arctic. Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programme (AMAP), Oslo, Norway.
14. Mazhitova G, Karstkarel N, Oberman N, Romanovsky V, Kuhry P. Permafrost and infrastructure in the Usa basin (northeast European Russia): Possible impacts of global warming. Ambio. 2004;33:289–294. [PubMed] 15. Emanuel K. Increasing destructiveness of tropical cyclones over the past 30 years. Nature. 2005;436:686–688. [PubMed] 16. Webster PJ, Holland GJ, Curry JA, Chang H-R. Changes in tropical cyclone number, duration, and intensity in a warming environment. Science. 2005;309:1844–1846. [PubMed]
17. Cruz AM, Krausmann E. Hazardous-materials releases from offshore oil and gas facilities and emergency response following Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. J Loss Prevent Proc. 2009;22:59–65.
18. Westerling AL, Hidalgo HG, Cayan DR, Swetnam TW. Warming and earlier spring increase western U.S. forest wildfire activity. Science. 2006;313:940–943. [PubMed] 19. Noyes PD, McElwee MK, Miller HD, Clark BW, Van Tiem LA, Walcott KC, Erwin KN, Levin ED. The toxicology of climate change: Environmental contaminants in a warming world. Environ Int. 2009;35:971–986. [PubMed]
20. Lee K, de Mora S. In situ bioremediation strategies for oiled shoreline environments. Environ Technol. 1999;20:783–794.
21. Rask M, Verta M, Korhonen M, Salo S, Forsius M, Arvola L, Jones RI, Kiljunen M. Does lake thermocline depth affect methyl mercury concentrations in fish. Biogeochemistry. 2010;101:311–322.
22. Verta M, Salo S, Korhonen M, Porvari P, Paloheimo A, Munthe J. Climate induced thermocline change has an effect on the methyl mercury cycle in small boreal lakes. Sci Tot Environ. 2010;408:3639–3647. [PubMed] 23. Landis WG, Durda JL, Brooks ML, Chapman PM, Menzie CA, Stahl RG, Jr, Stauber JL. Ecological risk assessment in the context of global climate change. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2012;32:79–92. (this issue) [PubMed] 24. Easterling DR, Meehl GA, Parmesan C, Changnon SA, Karl TR, Mearns LO. Climate extremes: Observations, modeling, and impacts. Science. 2000;289:2068–2074. [PubMed] 25. Rohr JR, Mahan CG, Kim K. Developing a monitoring program for invertebrates: Guidelines and a case study. Conserv Biol. 2007;21:422–433. [PubMed] 26. Balbus JB, Boxall A, Fenske RA, McKone T, Zeise L. Implications of global climate change for the assessment and management of human health risks of chemicals in the natural environment. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2012;32:62–78. (this issue) [PubMed] 27. Rohr JR, Dobson AP, Johnson PTJ, Kilpatrick AM, Paull SH, Raffel TR, Ruiz-Moreno D, Thomas MB. Frontiers in climate change disease research. Trends Ecol Evol. 2011;26:270–277. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
28. Raffel TR, Halstead NT, McMahon T, Romansic JM, Venesky MD, Rohr JR. Disease and thermal acclimation in a more variable and unpredictable climate. Nat Clim Chang. 2012 DOI: 10.1038/nclimate1659.
29. Rohr JR, Raffel TR. Linking global climate and temperature variability to widespread amphibian declines putatively caused by disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2010;107:8269–8274. [PubMed] 30. Martin LB, Hopkins WA, Mydlarz LD, Rohr JR. The effects of anthropogenic global changes on immune functions and disease resistance. Ann NY Acad Sci. 2010;1195:129–148. [PubMed] 31. Thomas CD, Cameron A, Green RE, Bakkenes M, Beaumont LJ, Collingham YC, Erasmus BFN, de Siqueira MF, Grainger A, Hannah L, Hughes L, Huntley B, van Jaarsveld AS, Midgley GF, Miles L, Ortega-Huerta MA, Peterson AT, Phillips OL, Williams SE. Extinction risk from climate change. Nature. 2004;427:145–148. [PubMed]
32. Rohr JR, Mahan CG, Kim K. Response of arthropod biodiversity to foundation species declines: The case of the eastern hemlock. For Ecol Manag. 2009;258:1503–1510.
33. Moe SJ, De Schamphelaere K, Clements WH, Sorensen MT, Van den Brink PJ, Liess M. Combined and interactive effects of global climate change and toxicants on populations and communities. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2012;32:49–61. (this issue) [PubMed]
34. Rohr JR, Elskus AA, Shepherd BS, Crowley PH, McCarthy TM, Niedzwiecki JH, Sager T, Sih A, Palmer BD. Multiple stressors and salamanders: Effects of an herbicide, food limitation, and hydroperiod. Ecol Appl. 2004;14:1028–1040.
35. Clements WH, Rohr JR. Community responses to contaminants: Using basic ecological principles to predict ecotoxicological effects. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2009;28:1789–1800. [PubMed] 36. Rohr JR, Kerby JL, Sih A. Community ecology as a framework for predicting contaminant effects. Trends Ecol Evol. 2006;21:606–613. [PubMed]
37. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 2000. Stressor identification guidance document. EPA 822/B-00/025. Washington, DC.
38. Schotthoefer AM, Rohr JR, Cole RA, Koehler AV, Johnson CM, Johnson LB, Beasley VR. Effects of wetland and landscape variables on parasite communities of Rana pipiens: Links to anthropogenic factors. Ecol Appl. 2011;12:1257–1271. [PubMed]
39. Rohr JR, Sesterhenn TM, Stieha C. Will climate change reduce the effects of a pesticide on amphibians? Partitioning effects on exposure and susceptibility to contaminants. Glob Change Biol. 2011;17:657–666.
40. Nordhaus WC. Discounting in economics and climate change—An editorial comment. Clim Change. 1997;37:315–328.
41. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Damage Assessment and Restoration Program. 1999. Discounting and the treatment of uncertainty in natural resource damage assessment. DARP Technical Paper 99-1. Silver Spring, MD, USA.
42. Hooper MJ, Ankley GT, Cristol DA, Maryoung LA, Noyes PD, Pinkerton KE. Interactions between chemical and climate stressors: A role for mechanistic toxicology in assessing climate change risks. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2012;32:32–48. (this issue) [PubMed]
43. Dayton PK, Tegner MJ, Edwards PB, Riser KL. Sliding baselines, ghosts, and reduced expectations in kelp forest communities. Ecol Appl. 1998;8:309–322.
44. Scheffer M, Bascompte J, Brock WA, Brovkin V, Carpenter SR, Dakos V, Held H, van Nes EH, Rietkerk M, Sugihara G. Early-warning signals for critical transitions. Nature. 2009;461:53–59. [PubMed]
45. Lenton TM. Early warning of climate tipping points. Nat Clim Change. 2011;1:201–209.
46. Barnosky AD, Hadly EA, Bascompte J, Berlow EL, Brown JH, Fortelius M, Getz WM, Harte J, Hastings A, Marquet PA, Martinez ND, Mooers A, Roopnarine P, Vermeij G, Williams JW, Gillespie R, Kitzes J, Marshall C, Matzke N, Mindell DP, Revilla E, Smith AB. Approaching a state shift in earth's biosphere. Nature. 2012;486:52–58. [PubMed]
47. Harris JA, Hobbs RJ, Higgs E, Aronson J. Ecological restoration and global climate change. Restor Ecol. 2006;14:170–176.
48. Walther GR, Post E, Convey P, Menzel A, Parmesan C, Beebee TJC, Fromentin JM, Hoegh-Guldberg O, Bairlein F. Ecological responses to recent climate change. Nature. 2002;416:389–395. [PubMed] 49. Hoegh-Guldberg O, Hughes L, McIntyre S, Lindenmayer DB, Parmesan C, Possingham HP, Thomas CD. Assisted colonization and rapid climate change. Science. 2008;321:345–346. [PubMed]
50. Seddon PJ. From reintroduction to assisted colonization: Moving along the conservation translocation spectrum. Restor Ecol. 2010;18:796–802.
51. Dunwiddie PW, Hall SA, Ingraham MW, Bakker JD, Nelson KS, Fuller R, Gray E. Rethinking conservation practice in light of climate change. Ecol Restor. 2009;27:320–329.
52. Rice KJ, Emery NC. Managing microevolution: Restoration in the face of global change. Front Ecol Environ. 2003;1:469–478.
53. Hobbs RJ. Setting effective and realistic restoration goals: Key directions for research. Restor Ecol. 2007;15:354–357.
54. McMahon TA, Halstead NT, Johnson S, Raffel TR, Romansic JM, Crumrine PW, Rohr JR. Fungicide-induced declines of freshwater biodiversity modify ecosystem functions and services. Ecol Lett. 2012;15:714–722. [PubMed]
55. Governing Council of the United Nations Environment Programme. 2010. Guidelines for the development of domestic legislation on liability, response action and compensation for damage caused by activities dangerous to the environment. Eleventh special session of the Governing Council/ Global Ministerial Environment Forum, Bali, Indonesia. Report UNEP/GCSS.XI/8/Add.1.
56. Oil Pollution Act of 1990. 33 U.S.C. 101st Cong., 1st Sess. (1990)
57. Australian Government Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts. 2009. The Australian Environment Act: Report of the independent review of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act of 1999. Canberra. Australia.
58. New Zealand Government Ministry of the Environment. 1996. Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act of 1996. Wellington, New Zealand.
59. Department of Justice Canada. 1999. Canadian Environmental Protection Act of 1999: New substances notification regulations of the Canadian Environmental Protection Act. Ottawa, ON, Canada.
60. Huntington HP. Arctic Oil and Gas 2007. Oslo, Norway: Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programme; 2007.
61. Mazhitova G, Karstkarel N, Oberman N, Romanovsky V, Kuhry P. Permafrost and infrastructure in the Usa Basin (Northeast European Russia): Possible impacts of global warming. AMBIO: J Hum Environ. 2004;33:289–294. [PubMed]
62. Bates BC, Kundzewicz ZW, Wu S, Palutikof JP. Climate Change and Water. Geneva, Switzerland: Technical Paper of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, IPCC Secretariat; 2008.
63. Palmer MA, Reidy Liermann CA, Nilsson C, Flörke M, Alcamo J, Lake PS, Bond N. Climate change and the world's river basins: Anticipating management options. Front Ecol Environ. 2008;6:81–89.
64. Krausmann E, Renni E, Campedel M, Cozzani V. Industrial accidents triggered by earthquakes, floods and lightning: Lessons learned from a database analysis. Natural Hazards. 2011;59:285–300.
65. Balshi MS, Mcguire AD, Duffy P, Flannigan M, Kicklighter DW, Melillo J. Vulnerability of carbon storage in North American boreal forests to wildfires during the 21st century. Global Change Biology. 2009;15:1491–1510.
66. Flannigan M, Stocks B, Turetsky M, Wotton M. Impacts of climate change on fire activity and fire management in the circumboreal forest. Glob Change Biol. 2009;15:549–560.