1. Kochupillai V, Bhardwaj N. Proceedings National symposium on Science of Holistic Living and Its Global Application. Arogyadham, Sevagram, MGIMS; 2006. Science of Holistic Living and Its Global Application; pp. 11–13.
3. Brown RP, Gerbarg PL. Sudarshan kriya yogic breathing in the treatment of stress, anxiety, and depression: Part I-neurophysiologic model. J Altern Complement Med. 2005;11:189–201. [PubMed] 5. Brown RP, Gerbarg PL. Sudarshan kriya yogic breathing in the treatment of stress, anxiety, and depression: Part II-clinical applications and guidelines. J Altern Complement Med. 2005;11:711–7. [PubMed]
6. Tasman A, Lieberman J, Kay J. Complementary and Alternative Treatments in Psychiatry. In: Brown P, Gerbarg PL, Muskin PR, editors. Neurophysiological Model of Vagus Nerve Stimulation Pathways. 2nd ed. London UK: Wiley and Sons Ltd; 2003. pp. 2171–2.
7. Fokkema DS. The psychobiology of strained breathing and its cardiovascular implications: A functional system review. Psychophysiology. 1999;36:164–75. [PubMed] 8. Sovik R. The science of breathing - the yogic view. Prog Brain Res. 2000;122:491–505. [PubMed] 9. Spicuzza L, Gabutti A, Porta C, Montano N, Bernardi L. Yoga and chemoreflex response to hypoxia and hypercapnia. Lancet. 2000;356:1495–6. [PubMed] 10. Roldan E, Dostalek C. Description of an EEG pattern evoked in central-parietal areas by the Hathayogic exercise Agnisara. Act Nerv Super (Praha) 1983;25:241–6. [PubMed] 11. Roldan E, Dostalek C. EEG patterns suggestive of shifted levels of excitation effected by hathayogic exercises. Act Nerv Super (Praha) 1985;27:81–8. [PubMed] 12. Kwon JS, O’Donnell BF, Wallenstein GV, Greene RW, Hirayasu Y, Nestor PG, et al. Gamma frequency-range abnormalities to auditory stimulation in schizophrenia. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1999;56:1001–5. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 13. Kumar S, Nagendra H, Manjunath N, Naveen K, Telles S. Mediation on OM: Relevance from ancient texts and contemporary science. Int J Yoga. 2010;3:2–5. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 14. Bhatia M, Kumar A, Kumar N, Pandey RM, Kochupillai V. EEG study; BAER study; P300 study. Electrophysiologic evaluation of Sudarshan Kriya: An EEG, BAER, P300 study. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 2003;47:157–63. [PubMed]
15. Janakiramaiah N, Gangadhar BN, Naga Venkatesha Murthy PJ, Harish MG, Subbakrishna DK, Vedamurthachar A. Therapeutic efficacy of Sudarshan Kriya Yoga (SKY) in dysthymic disorder. NIMHANS J. 1998;17:21–28.
16. Vedamurthachar A, Janakiramaiah N, Hegde JM, Shetty TK, Subbakrishna DK, Sureshbabu SV, et al. Antidepressant efficacy and hormonal effects of Sudarshana Kriya Yoga (SKY) in alcohol dependent individuals. J Affect Disord. 2006;94:249–53. [PubMed]
17. Gangadhar BN, Janakiramaiah N, Sudarshan B, Shety KT. Stress-Related Biochemical Effects of Sudarshan Kriya Yoga in Depressed Patients Study #6. Presented at The Conference on Biological Psychiatry. New York NY: UN NGO Mental Health Committee; 2000.
18. Pan NL, Liao CF, Jiang MJ, HP Lu, CL Wang, AM Huang. Proceedings World Conference Expanding Paradigms: Science, Consciousness and Spirituality. New Delhi, India: All India Institute of Medical Sciences; 2006. Serum levels of brain derived neurotrophic factor before and after the practice of Sudarshan Kriya; pp. 156–60.
19. Agte VV. Sudarshan Kriya Yoga for Improving Antioxidant Status and Reducing Anxiety in Adults. Alternative and Complementary Therapies. 2008;14(2):96–100.
21. Višnikar H, Meško G. Proceedings Science of Breath Internatinal symposium on Sudarshan kriya, Pranayam and Consciousness. New Delhi, India: All India Institute of Medical Sciences; 2002. Evaluation of The Art of Living Basic Course as the Anti-stress Program for Police Officers in the Slovenian Police; pp. 64–70.
22. Newman RI. The Utility of Ancient Complementary Therapies in Modern Mental Health Treatment; Spring/2008. Georgia Psychologist. 2008 Spring;:11–12.
23. Carter JJ, Byrne GG, Brown RP, Gerbarg PL. Multi-component Yoga Breath Based Program Reduces PTSD in Australian Vietnam War Veterans: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Los Angeles, CA: Symposium on Yoga Therapy and Research; 2009.
24. Sageman S, How SK. International Symposium on Sudarshan Kriya, Pranayam and Consciousness. New Delhi: All India Institute of Medical Sciences; 2002. Can treat the cognitive, psychodynamic, and neuropsychiatric problems of post traumatic stress disorder. Proceedings: Science of Breath; pp. 28–31.
25. Gerbarg PL, Brown RP. Yoga: A breath of relief for hurricane katrina refugees. Curr Psychiatr. 2005;4:55–67.
26. Descilo T, Vedamurtachar A, Gerbarg PL, Nagaraja D, Gangadhar BN, Damodaran B, et al. Effects of a yoga breath intervention alone and in combination with an exposure therapy for post-traumatic stress disorder and depression in survivors of the 2004 South-East Asia tsunami. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2010;121:289–300. [PubMed]
27. Deepak KK. International Symposium on Sudarshan Kriya, Pranayam and Consciousness. New Delhi: All India Institute of Medical Sciences; 2002. The Role of Autonomic Nervous System in Rapid Breathing Practices. Proceedings: Science of Breath; pp. 42–45.
28. Bloch S, Lemeignan M, Aguilera N. Specific respiratory patterns distinguish among human basic emotions. Int J Psychophysiol. 1991;11:141–54. [PubMed]
29. Suarez V. Proceedings Science of Breath International Symposium on Sudarshan Kriya, Pranayam and Consciousness. AIIMS. New Delhi, India: Institute Rotary Cancer Hospital All India Institute of Medical Sciences; 2002. Anxiety study at Lance Alternative Program; pp. 32–3.
30. Naga Venkatesha Murthy PJ, Janakiramaiah N, Gangadhar BN, Subbakrishna DK. P300 amplitude and antidepressant response to Sudarshan Kriya Yoga (SKY) J Affect Disord. 1998;50:45–8. [PubMed] 31. Murthy PJ, Gangadhar BN, Janakiramaiah N, Subbakrishna DK. Normalization of P300 amplitude following treatment in dysthymia. Biol Psychiatry. 1997;15(42):740–3. [PubMed] 32. Janakiramaiah N, Gangadhar BN, Naga Venkatesha Murthy PJ, Harish MG, Subbakrishna DK, Vedamurthachar A. Antidepressant efficacy of Sudarshan Kriya Yoga (SKY) in melancholia: A randomized comparison with electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) and imipramine. J Affect Disord. 2000;57:255–9. [PubMed] 33. Little H. Behavioral mechanisms underlying the link between smoking and drinking. Alcohol Res Health. 2000;24:215–24. [PubMed] 34. Wu D, Cederbaum AI. Alcohol, oxidative stress, and free radical damage. Alcohol Res Health. 2003;27:277–84. [PubMed] 35. Cooper RG, Magwere T. Nitric oxide-mediated pathogenesis during nicotine and alcohol consumption. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 2008;52:11–8. [PubMed] 36. Kochupillai V, Kumar P, Singh D, Aggarwal D, Bhardwaj N, Bhutani M, et al. Effect of rhythmic breathing (Sudarshan kriya and pranayam) on immune functions and tobacco addiction. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005;1056:242–52. [PubMed] 37. Sharma H, Datta P, Singh A, Sen S, Bhardwaj NK, Kochupillai V, et al. Gene expression profiling in practitioners of Sudarshan Kriya. J Psychosom Res. 2008;64:213–8. [PubMed] 38. Djuric Z, Bird CE, Furumoto-Dawson A, Rauscher GH, Ruffin MT, 4th, Stowe RP, et al. Biomarkers of psychological stress in health disparities research. Open Biomark J. 2008;1:7–19. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 39. Sharma H, Sen S, Singh A, Bhardwaj NK, Kochupillai V, Singh N. Sudarshan Kriya practitioners exhibit better antioxidant status and lower blood lactate levels. Biol Psychol. 2003;63:281–91. [PubMed]
40. Geetha H, Chitra H, Kubera NS. Proceedings World Conference Expanding Paradigms: Science, Consciousness and Spirituality. New Delhi, India: All India Institute of Medical Sciences; 2006. Effect of Sudarshan Kriya on menopausal women.
41. Sayyed A. Study of lipid profile and pulmonary functions in subjects participated in Sudarshan Kriya Yoga. Al Ameen J Med Sci. 2010;3:429.
42. Agte VV, Tarwadi K. Sudarshan Kriya yoga for treating type 2 diabetes. Alternat Complement Ther. 2004;10:220–2.
43. Subramanian S, Elango T, Malligarjunan H, Kochupillai V, Dayalan H. Role of sudarshan kriya and pranayam on lipid profile and blood cell parameters during exam stress: A randomized controlled trial. Int J Yoga. 2012;5:21–7. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
44. Larsen S, Yee WK, Gerbarg P, Brown RP, Gunkelman J, Sherlin L. Proceedings World Conference of expanding Paradigms: Science, Consciousness and Spirituality. New Delhi, India: All India Institute of Medical Sciences; 2006. Neurophysiological Markers of Sudarshan Kriya Yoga Practices: A Pilot Study; pp. 36–48.
46. Agte VV, Jahagirdar MU, Tarwadi KV. The effects of sudarshan kriya yoga on some Physiological and biochemical parameters In mild hypertensive patients. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 2011;55:183–7. [PubMed]
47. Vallabh VG, Asmaljee A, Victor N. Proceedings: Science of breath. International symposium on sudarshan kriya, pranayam and consciousness. New Delhi: All India Institute of Medical Sciences; 2002. The effects of stress reduction and stress inducing techniques on the visual system.Proceedings: Science of breath; pp. 71–5.
48. Das SN, Kochupillai V. Proceedings: Science of Breath. International Symposium on Sudarshan Kriya, Pranayam and Consciousness. New Delhi: All India Institute of Medical Sciences; 2002. Flowcytometric Study of T-cell Subset And Natural Killer Cells in Peripheral Blood of Art of Living Teachers, Normal Subjects and Cancer Patients; pp. 46–7.
49. Rao RM, Nagendra HR, Raghuram N, Vinay C, Chandrashekara S, Gopinath KS, et al. Influence of yoga on mood staes, distress, quality of life and immune outcomes in early stage breast cancer patients undergoing surgery. Int J Yoga. 2008;1:11–20. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 50. Rao RM, Nagendra HR, Raghuram N, Vinay C, Chandrashekara S, Gopinath KS, et al. Influence of yoga on postoperative outcomes and wound healing in early operablestage breast cancer patients undergoing surgery. Int J Yoga. 2008;1:33–41. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
51. Warne AS. Exploration of psychological and spiritual well-being of women with breast cancer participating in the art of living program. Diss Abstr Int B Sci Eng. 2007;67:4122.
52. Sengar M. Cancer treatment: Role of yoga, naturopathy and prayer. Health Administrator. Xii(1):151–7.
53. Brazier A, Mulkins A, Verhoef M. Evaluating a yogic breathing and meditation intervention for individuals living with HIV/AIDS. Am J Health Promot. 2006;20:192–5. [PubMed]
54. Kaul A. Human transformation and the art of living. Acta Oeconomica et Informatica. 2010;13:26–8.