1. Erdeve O, Arsan S, Canpolat FE, Ertem IO, Karagol BS, et al. (2009) Does individual room implemented family centered care contribute to mother-infant interaction in preterm deliveries necessitating neonatal intensive care unit hospitalization? Am J Perinatol 26: 159–164. [PubMed] 2. Glazebrook C, Marlow N, Israel C, Croudace T, Johnson S, et al. (2007) Randomised trial of a parenting intervention during neonatal intensive care. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 92: F438–F443. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 3. Singer LT, Fulton S, Kirchner HL, Eisengart S, Lewis B, et al. (2007) Parenting very low birth weight children at school age: Maternal stress and coping. J Pediatr 151: 463–469. [PubMed] 4. Trombini E, Surcinelli P, Piccioni A, Alessandroni R, Faldella G (2008) Environmental factors associated with stress in mothers of preterm newborns. Acta Paediatr 97: 894–898. [PubMed]
5. Van der Pal SM, Maguire CM, Le Cessie S, Veen S, Wit JM, et al. (2008b) Parental stress and child behavior and temperament in the first year after the Newborn Individualized Developemental Care and Assessment Program. J Early Interv 30: 102–115.
6. Foster J, Bidewell J, Buckmaster A, Lees S, Henderson-Smart D (2008) Parental stress and satisfaction in the non-tertiary special care nursery. J Adv Nurs 61: 522–530. [PubMed] 7. Melnyk BM, Feinstein NF (2009) Reducing hospital expenditures with the COPE (Creating Opportunities for Parent Empowerment) program for parents and premature infants. Nurs Adm Q 33: 32–37. [PubMed]
8. Sloan K, Rowe J, Jones L (2008) Stress and coping in fathers following the birth of a preterm infant. J Neonatal Nurs 14: 108–115.
9. Turan T, Başbakkal Z, Özbek S (2008) Effect of nursing interventions on stressors of parents of premature infants in neonatal intensive care unit. J Clin Nurs 17: 2856–2866. [PubMed] 10. Halpern LF, Brand KL, Malone AF (2001) Parenting stress in mothers of Very-Low-Birth-Weight (VLBW) and full-term infants: A function of infant behavioral characteristics and childrearing attitudes. J Pediatr Psychol 26: 93–104. [PubMed] 11. Olafsen KS, Rønning JA, Dahl LB, Ulvund SE, Handegård BH, et al. (2007) Infant responsiveness and maternal confidence in the neonatal period. Scand J Psychol 48: 499–509. [PubMed] 12. Kaaresen PI, Rønning JA, Ulvund SE, Dahl LB (2006) A randomized, controlled trial of the effectiveness of an early-intervention program in reducing parenting stress after preterm birth. Pediatrics 118: e9–e19. [PubMed] 13. Grunau RE, Whitfield MF, Petrie-Thomas J, Synnes AR, Cepeda IL, et al. (2009) Neonatal pain, parenting stress and interaction, in relation to cognitive and motor development at 8 and 18 months in preterm infants. Pain 143: 138–146. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
14. Singer LT, Davillier M, Bruening P, Hawkins S, Yamashita TS (1996) Social support, psychological distress, and parenting strains in mothers of very low birthweight infants. Fam Relat 45: 343–350.
15. Cobiella CW, Mabe PA, Forehand RL (1990) A comparison of two stress-reduction treatments for mothers of neonates hospitalized in a neonatal intensive care unit. Child Health Care 19: 93–100. [PubMed] 16. Crnic KA, Greenberg MT, Ragozin AS, Robinson NM, Basham RB (1983) Effects of stress and social support on mothers and premature and full-term infants. Child Dev 54: 209–217. [PubMed] 17. Harrison MJ, Magill-Evans J (1996) Mother and father interactions over the first year with term and preterm infants. Res Nurs Health 19: 451–459. [PubMed] 18. Ong LC, Chandran V, Boo NY (2001) Comparison of parenting stress between Malaysian mothers of four-year-old very low birthweight and normal birthweight children. Acta Paediatr 90: 1464–1469. [PubMed] 19. Taylor HG, Klein N, Minich NM, Hack M (2001) Long-term family outcomes for children with very low birth weights. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 155: 155–161. [PubMed] 20. Tommiska V, Östberg M, Fellman V (2002) Parental stress in families of 2 year old extremely low birthweight infants. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 86: F161–F164. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 21. Bhutta AT, Cleves MA, Casey PH, Cradock MM, Anand KJS (2002) Cognitive and behavioral outcomes of school-aged children who were born preterm: A meta-analysis. JAMA 288: 728–737. [PubMed] 22. Reijneveld SA, De Kleine MJK, Van Baar AL, Kollée LAA, Verhaak CM, et al. (2006) Behavioral and emotional problems in very preterm and very low birthweight infants at age 5 years. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 91: F423–F428. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
23. Carter JD, Mulder RT, Darlow BA (2007) Parental stress in the NICU: The influence of personality, psychological, pregnancy, and family factors. Personal Ment Health 1: 40–50.
24. Jackson K, Ternestedt B, Schollin J (2003) From alienation to familiarity: Experiences of mothers and fathers of preterm infants. J Adv Nurs 43: 120–129. [PubMed] 25. Miles MS, Funk SG, Kasper MA (1992) The stress response of mothers and fathers of preterm infants. Res Nurs Health 15: 261–269. [PubMed] 26. Trause MA, Kramer LI (1983) The effects of premature birth on parents and their relationship. Dev Med Child Neurol 25: 459–465. [PubMed] 27. Van der Pal SM, Maguire CM, Le Cessie S, Wit JM, Walther FJ, et al. (2007) Parental experiences during the first period at the neonatal unit after two developmental care interventions. Acta Paediatr 96: 1611–1616. [PubMed] 28. Singer LT, Salvator A, Guo S, Collin M, Lilien L, et al. (1999) Maternal psychological distress and parenting stress after the birth of a very low-birth-weight infant. JAMA 281: 799–805. [PubMed] 29. Singer LT, Fulton S, Kirchner HL, Eisengart S, Lewis B, et al. (2010) Longitudinal predictors of maternal stress and coping after very low-birth-weight birth. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 164: 518–524. [PubMed]
30. Lau R, Morse CA (2003) Stress experiences of parents with premature infants in a special care nursery. Stress Health 19: 69–78.
31. Doussard-Roosevelt JA, Porges SW, Scanlon JW, Alemi B, Scanlon KB (1997) Vagal regulation of heart rate in the prediction of developmental outcome for very low birth weight preterm infants. Child Dev 68: 173–186. [PubMed] 32. Jensen AM, Harper DC (1991) Correlates of concern in parents of high-risk infants at age five. J Pediatr Psychol 16: 429–445. [PubMed] 33. Meyer EC, Coll CTG, Seifer R, Ramos A, Kilis E, et al. (1995) Psychological distress in mothers of preterm infants. J Dev Behav Pediatr 16: 412–417. [PubMed] 34. Tobey GY, Schraeder BD (1990) Impact of caretaker stress on behavioral adjustment of very low birth weight preschool children. Nurs Res 39: 84–89. [PubMed]
35. Wijnroks L (1999) Maternal recollected anxiety and mother-infant interaction in preterm infants. Infant Ment Health J 20: 393–409.
36. Thompson RJ, Goldstein RF, Oehler JM, Gustafson KE, Catlett AT, et al. (1994) Developmental outcome of very low birth weight infants as a function of biological risk and psychosocial risk. J Dev Behav Pediatr 15: 232–238. [PubMed]
37. Beckman PJ, Pokorni JL (1988) A longitudinal study of families of preterm infants: Changes in stress and support over the first two years. J Spec Educ 22: 55–65.
38. Larroque B, Bréart G, Kaminski M, Dehan M, André M, et al. (2004) Survival of very preterm infants: Epipage, a population based study. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 89: F139–F144. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 39. Saigal S, Doyle LW (2008) An overview of mortality and sequelae of preterm birth from infancy to adulthood. Lancet 371: 261–269. [PubMed]
40. Abidin RR (1983) Parenting Stress Index: Manual, Administration Booklet, and Research Update. Charlottesville, VA: Pediatric Psychology Press.
41. Abidin RR (1986) Parenting Stress Index. Charlottesville, VA: Pediatric Psychology Press.
42. Abidin RR (1990) Parenting Stress Index Manual. Charlottesville, VA: Pediatric Psychology Press.
43. Abidin RR (1995) Parenting Stress Index. Odessa, FL: Psychological Assessment Resources.
44. Miles MS, Funk SG, Carlson J (1993) Parental Stressor Scale: Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Nurs Res 42: 148–152. [PubMed] 45. Badr LK (2001) Quantitative and qualitative predictors of development for low-birth weight infants of Latino background. Appl Nurs Res 14: 125–135. [PubMed] 46. Onufrak B, Saylor CF, Taylor MJ, Eyberg SM, Boyce GC (1995) Determinants of responsiveness in mothers of children with intraventricular hemorrhage. J Pediatr Psychol 20: 587–599. [PubMed] 47. Saylor CF, Boyce GC, Price C (2003) Early predictors of school-age behavior problems and social skills in children with Intraventricular Hemorrhage (IVH) and/or Extremely Low Birthweight (ELBW). Child Psychiatry Hum Dev 33: 175–192. [PubMed] 48. Saylor CF, Casto G, Huntington L (1996) Predictors of developmental outcomes for medically fragile early intervention participants. J Pediatr Psychol 21: 869–887. [PubMed] 49. Secco ML, Askin D, Yu CT, Garinger J, Mulaire-Cloutier C, et al. (2006) Factors affecting parenting stress among biologically vulnerable toddlers. Issues Compr Pediatr Nurs 29: 131–156. [PubMed]
50. Zahr LK (2000) Home-based intervention after discharge for Latino families of low-birth-weight infants. Infant Ment Health J 21: 448–463.
51. Carter JD, Mulder RT, Bartram AF, Darlow BA (2005) Infants in a neonatal intensive care unit: Parental response. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 90: F109–F113. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
52. Denney MK, Okamoto Y, Singer GHS, Brenner ME, Barkley SC (2006) Maternal stress and efficacy for Latina mothers with infants in neonatal intensive care. Res Pract Persons Severe Disabl 31: 255–266.
53. Dudek-Shriber L (2004) Parent stress in the neonatal intensive care unit and the influence of parent and infant characteristics. Am J Occup Ther 58: 509–520. [PubMed] 54. Farel AM, Hooper SR (1998) Relationship between the maternal social support index and the parenting stress index in mothers of very-low-birthweight children now age 7. Psychol Rep 83: 173–174. [PubMed] 55. Farel AM, Hooper SR, Teplin SW, Henry MM, Kraybill EN (1998) Very-low-birthweight infants at seven years: An assessment of the health and neurodevelopmental risk conveyed by chronic lung disease. J Learn Disabil 31: 118–126. [PubMed] 56. Miles MS (1989) Parents of critically ill premature infants: Sources of stress. Crit Care Nurs Q 12: 69–74. [PubMed] 57. Seideman RY, Watson MA, Corff KE, Odle P, Haase J, et al. (1997) Parent stress and coping in NICU and PICU. J Pediatr Nurs 12: 169–177. [PubMed] 58. Shields-Poë D, Pinelli J (1997) Variables associated with parental stress in neonatal intensive care units. Neonatal Netw 16: 29–37. [PubMed] 59. Miceli PJ, Goeke-Morey MC, Whitman TL, Kolberg KS, Miller-Loncar C, et al. (2000) Brief report: Birth status, medical complications, and social environment: Individual differences in development of preterm, very low birth weight infants. J Pediatr Psychol 25: 353–358. [PubMed]
60. Bendell D, Goldberg MS, Urbano MT, Urbano RC, Bauer C (1987) Differential impact of parenting sick infants. Infant Ment Health J 8: 28–36.
61. Als H, Gilkerson L, Duffy FH, McAnulty GB, Buehler DM, et al. (2003) A three-center, randomized, controlled trial of individualized developmental care for very low birth weight preterm infants: Medical, neurodevelopmental, parenting, and caregiving effects. J Dev Behav Pediatr 24: 399–408. [PubMed]
62. Barrera ME, Kitching KJ (1991) A 3-year early home intervention follow-up study with low birthweight infants and their parents. Topics Early Child Spec Educ 10: 14–28.
63. Candelaria MA, O’Connell MA, Teti DM (2006) Cumulative psychosocial and medical risk as predictors of early infant development and parenting stress in an African-American preterm sample. J Appl Dev Psychol 27: 588–597.
64. Elgen I, Sommerfelt K (2002) Low birthweight children: Coping in school? Acta Paediatr 91: 939–945. [PubMed] 65. Elgen I, Sommerfelt K, Markestad T (2002) Population based, controlled study of behavioural problems and psychiatric disorders in low birthweight children at 11 years of age. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 87: F128–F132. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 66. Feldman R, Weller A, Sirota L, Eidelman AI (2003) Testing a family intervention hypothesis: The contribution of mother-infant skin-to-skin contact (kangaroo care) to family interaction, proximity, and touch. J Fam Psychol 17: 94–107. [PubMed]
67. Geva R, Eshel R, Leitner Y, Fattal-Valevski A, Harel S (2005) Prenatal diagnosis and management of intrauterine growth restriction: A long-term prospective study on outcome and maternal stress. Infant Ment Health J 26: 481–497.
68. Spear ML, Leef K, Epps S, Locke R (2002) Family reactions during infants’ hospitalization in the neonatal intensive care unit. Am J Perinatol 19: 205–213. [PubMed]
69. Rimmerman A, Sheran H (2001) The transition of Israeli men to fatherhood: A comparison between new fathers of pre-term/full-term infants. Child Fam Social Work 6: 261–267.
70. Tallandini MA, Scalembra C (2006) Kangaroo mother care and mother-premature infant dyadic interaction. Infant Ment Health J 27: 251–275.
71. Lee CF, Hwang FM, Chen CJ, Chien LY (2009) The interrelationships among parenting stress and quality of life of the caregiver and preschool child with very low birth weight. Fam Community Health 32: 228–237. [PubMed] 72. Beck SJ, Young GH, Tarnowski KJ (1990) Maternal characteristics and perceptions of pervasive and situational hyperactives and normal controls. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 29: 558–565. [PubMed]
73. Cameron SJ, Orr RR (1989) Stress in families of school-aged children with delayed mental development. Can J Rehabil 3: 134–144.
74. Holden EW, Ritchie KL (1991) Linking extreme marital discord, child rearing, and child behavior problems: Evidence from battered women. Child Dev 62: 311–327. [PubMed]
75. Innocenti MS, Huh K, Boyce GC (1992) Families of children with disabilities: Normative data and other considerations on parenting stress. Topics Early Child Spec Educ 12: 403–427.
76. Solis ML, Abidin RR (1991) The Spanish version of the Parenting Stress Index: A psychometric study. J Clin Child Psychol 20: 372–378.
77. Magnusson D (1982) Situational determinants of stress: An interactional perspective. In: Goldberger L, Breznitz S, editors. Handbook of Stress: Theoretical and Clinical Aspects. New York: Free Press. pp. 231–253.
78. Miles MS, Funk SG, Kasper MA (1991) The neonatal intensive care unit environment: Sources of stress for parents. AACN Adv Crit Care 2: 346–354. [PubMed]
79. Borenstein M, Hedges LV, Higgins JPT, Rothstein HR (2005) Comprehensive Meta-Analysis. 2 ed. Englewood NJ: Biostat.
80. Borenstein M, Hedges LV, Higgins JPT, Rothstein HR (2009) Introduction to Meta-Analysis. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons.
81. Higgins JPT, Thompson SG, Deeks JJ, Altman DG (2003) Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses. Br Med J 327: 557–560. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 82. Bakermans-Kranenburg MJ, Van IJzendoorn MH, Juffer F (2003) Less is more: Meta-analyses of sensitivity and attachment interventions in early childhood. Psychol Bull 129: 195–215. [PubMed] 83. Egger M, Smith GD, Schneider M, Minder C (1997) Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test. Br Med J 315: 629–634. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 84. De Groot FM, Voogt-Bode A, Passchier J, Berger MY, Koes BW, et al. (2011) Headache: The placebo effects in the control groups in randomized clinical trials; an analysis of systematic reviews. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 34: 297–305. [PubMed] 85. Linhart Y, Bashiri A, Maymon E, Shoham-Vardi I, Furman B, et al. (2000) Congenital anomalies are an independent risk factor for neonatal morbidity and perinatal mortality in preterm birth. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 90: 43–49. [PubMed]
86. Van Beek Y, Genta ML, Costabile A, Sansavini A (2006) Maternal expectations about infant development of pre-term and full-term infants: A cross-national comparison. Infant Child Dev 15: 41–58.
87. Saisto T, Salmela-Aro K, Nurmi J, Halmesmäki E (2008) Longitudinal study on the predictors of parental stress in mothers and fathers of toddlers. J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol 29: 213–222. [PubMed] 88. Kaplan DM, Mason EA (1960) Maternal reactions to premature birth viewed as an acute emotional disorder. Am J Orthopsychiatry 30: 539–547. [PubMed] 89. Kaaresen PI, Rønning JA, Tunby J, Nordhov SM, Ulvund SE, et al. (2008) A randomized controlled trial of an early intervention program in low birth weight children: Outcome at 2 years. Early Hum Dev 84: 201–209. [PubMed] 90. Petrou S, Sach T, Davidson L (2001) The long-term costs of preterm birth and low birth weight: Results of a systematic review. Child Care Health Dev 27: 97–115. [PubMed] 91. Swaminathan S, Alexander GR, Boulet S (2006) Delivering a very low birth weight infant and the subsequent risk of divorce or separation. Matern Child Health J 10: 473–479. [PubMed] 92. Bardin C, Zelkowitz P, Papageorgiou A (1997) Outcome of small-for-gestational age and appropriate-for-gestational age infants born before 27 weeks of gestation. Pediatrics 100: e4–e8. [PubMed] 93. Kok JH, Den Ouden AL, Verloove-Vanhorick SP, Brand R (1998) Outcome of very preterm small for gestational age infants: The first nine years of life. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 105: 162–168. [PubMed] 94. Elsmén E, Hansen Pupp I, Hellström-Westas L (2004) Preterm male infants need more initial respiratory and circulatory support than female infants. Acta Paediatr 93: 529–533. [PubMed]
95. Raley S, Bianchi S (2006) Sons, daughters, and family process: Does gender of children matter? Annu Rev Sociol 32: 401–421.
96. Goldberg S, DiVitto B (1995) Parenting children born preterm. In: Bornstein MH, editor. Handbook of Parenting: Children and Parenting. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
98. Östberg M, Hagekull B, Wettergren S (1997) A measure of parental stress in mothers with small children: Dimensionality, stability and validity. Scand J Psychol 38: 199–208. [PubMed] 99. Horbar JD, Wright EC, Onstad L (1993) Decreasing mortality associated with the introduction of surfactant therapy: An observational study of neonates weighing 601 to 1300 grams at birth. Pediatrics 92: 191–196. [PubMed] 100. Stoelhorst GMSJ, Rijken M, Martens SE, Brand R, Den Ouden AL, et al. (2005) Changes in neonatology: Comparison of two cohorts of very preterm infants (gestational age <32 weeks): The project on preterm and small for gestational age infants 1983 and the Leiden follow-up project on prematurity 1996–1997. Pediatrics 115: 396–405. [PubMed] 101. Vohr BR, Wright LL, Poole WK, McDonald SA (2005) Neurodevelopmental outcomes of extremely low birth weight infants <32 weeks’ gestation between 1993 and 1998. Pediatrics 116: 635–643. [PubMed] 102. Charpak N, Ruiz JG, Zupan J, Cattaneo A, Figueroa Z, et al. (2005) Kangaroo mother care: 25 years after. Acta Paediatr 94: 514–522. [PubMed]
103. Johnson BH (2000) Family-centered care: Four decades of progress. Fam Syst Health 18: 137–156.
104. Power N, Franck L (2008) Parent participation in the care of hospitalized children: A systematic review. J Adv Nurs 62: 622–641. [PubMed] 105. Van Haastert IC, Groenendaal F, Uiterwaal CSPM, Termote JUM, Van der Heide-Jalving M, et al. (2011) Decreasing incidence and severity of cerebral palsy in prematurely born children. J Pediatr 159: 86–91. [PubMed] 106. Branum AM, Schoendorf KC (2002) Changing patterns of low birthweight and preterm birth in the United States, 1981–98. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 16: 8–15. [PubMed] 107. Klebanoff MA, Keim SA (2011) Epidemiology: The changing face of preterm birth. Clin Perinatol 38: 339–350. [PubMed] 108. Baker BL, McIntyre LL, Blacher J, Crnic K, Edelbrock C, et al. (2003) Pre-school children with and without developmental delay: Behaviour problems and parenting stress over time. J Intellect Disabil Res 47: 217–230. [PubMed] 109. Goldberg S, Morris P, Simmons RJ, Fowler RS, Levison H (1990) Chronic illness in infancy and parenting stress: A comparison of three groups of parents. J Pediatr Psychol 15: 347–358. [PubMed] 110. Glazebrook C, Sheard C, Cox S, Oates M, Ndukwe G (2004) Parenting stress in first-time mothers of twins and triplets conceived after in vitro fertilization. Fertil Steril 81: 505–511. [PubMed] 111. Kanner AD, Coyne JC, Schaefer C, Lazarus RS (1981) Comparison of two modes of stress measurement: Daily hassles and uplifts versus major life events. J Behav Med 4: 1–39. [PubMed]
112. Schraeder BD, Heverly MA, O’Brien CM (1996) Home and classroom behavioral adjustment in very low birthweight children: The influence of caregiver stress and goodness of fit. Child Health Care 25: 117–131.
113. Treyvaud K, Rogers S, Matthews J, Allen B (2010) Maternal factors and experiences associated with observed parenting behavior in mothers attending a residential parenting program. Infant Ment Health J 31: 58–70.
114. Lovibond PF, Lovibond SH (1995) The structure of negative emotional states: Comparison of the Depression Anxiety Stress Scales (DASS) with the Beck depression and anxiety inventories. Behav Res Ther 33: 335–343. [PubMed] 115. Davis L, Edwards H, Mohay H, Wollin J (2003) The impact of very premature birth on the psychological health of mothers. Early Hum Dev 73: 61–70. [PubMed] 116. Sarason IG, Johnson JH, Siegel JM (1978) Assessing the impact of life changes: Development of the Life Experiences Survey. J Consult Clin Psychol 46: 932–946. [PubMed]
117. Crnic KA, Greenberg MT, Slough NM (1986) Early stress and social support influences on mothers’ and high-risk infants’ functioning in late infancy. Infant Ment Health J 7: 19–33.
118. Reid T, Bramwell R, Booth N, Weindling AM (2007) A new stressor scale for parents experiencing neonatal intensive care: The NUPS (Neonatal Unit Parental Stress) scale. J Reprod Infant Psychol 25: 66–82.
119. De Brock AJLL, Vermulst AA, Gerris JRM, Abidin RR (1992) NOSI: Nijmeegse Ouderlijke Stress Index. Handleiding. Lisse: Swets and Zeitlinger.
120. Colpin H, De Munter A, Nys K, Vandemeulebroecke L (1999) Parenting stress and psychosocial well-being among parents with twins conceived naturally or by reproductive technology. Hum Reprod 14: 3133–3137. [PubMed]
121. Van der Pal SM, Maguire CM, Bruil J, Le Cessie S, Van Zwieten P, et al. (2008a) Very pre-term infants’ behaviour at 1 and 2 years of age and parental stress following basic developmental care. Br J Dev Psychol 26: 103–115.
122. Miles MS, Brunssen SH (2003) Psychometric properties of the Parental Stressor Scale: Infant Hospitalization. Adv Neonatal Care 3: 189–196. [PubMed] 123. Mackley AB, Locke RG, Spear ML, Joseph R (2010) Forgotten parent: NICU paternal emotional response. Adv Neonatal Care 10: 200–203. [PubMed] 124. Cohen S, Kamarck T, Mermelstein R (1983) A global measure of perceived stress. J Health Soc Behav 24: 385–396. [PubMed] 125. Liu CH, Chao YH, Huang CM, Wei FC, Chien LY (2010) Effectiveness of applying empowerment strategies when establishing a support group for parents of preterm infants. J Clin Nurs 19: 1729–1737. [PubMed]
126. Holroyd J (1974) The Questionnaire on Resources and Stress: An instrument to measure family response to a handicapped family member. J Community Psychol 2: 92–94.
127. Tarsitani L, Biondi M (1999) Sviluppo e validazione della scala VRS (Valutazione Rapida dello Stress). Development and validation of the VRS, a rating scale for rapid stress assessment. Med Psicosom 44: 163–178.
128. Peacock EJ, Wong PTP (1990) The Stress Appraisal Measure (SAM): A multidimensional approach to cognitive appraisal. Stress Health 6: 227–236.
129. Feldman ReichmanSR, Miller AC, Gordon RM, Hendricks-Munoz KD (2000) Stress appraisal and coping in mothers of NICU infants. Child Health Care 29: 279–293.
130. Rowe J, Jones L (2010) Discharge and beyond. A longitudinal study comparing stress and coping in parents of preterm infants. J Neonatal Nurs 16: 258–266.
131. Gotts G, Cox T (1988) Stress Arousal Checklist. A Manual for its Administration, Scoring and Interpretation. Melbourne: Swinburne.
132. Harding TW, De Arango V, Baltazar J, Climent CE, Ibrahim HHA, et al. (1980) Mental disorders in primary health care: A study of their frequency and diagnosis in four developing countries. Psychol Med 10: 231–241. [PubMed] 133. Khan NZ, Muslima H, Bhattacharya M, Parvin R, Begum N, et al. (2008) Stress in mothers of preterm infants in Bangladesh: Associations with family, child and maternal factors and children’s neuro-development. Child Care Health Dev 34: 657–664. [PubMed] 134. Askie LM, Henderson-Smart DJ, Irwig L, Simpson JM (2003) Oxygen-saturation targets and outcomes in extremely preterm infants. N Engl J Med 349: 959–967. [PubMed] 135. Badr LK, Bookheimer S, Purdy I, Deeb M (2009) Predictors of neurodevelopmental outcome for preterm infants with brain injury: MRI, medical and environmental factors. Early Hum Dev 85: 279–284. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 136. Benzies KM, Harrison MJ, Magill-Evans J (2004) Parenting stress, marital quality, and child behavior problems at 7 years. Public Health Nurs 21: 111–121. [PubMed]
137. Magill-Evans J, Harrison MJ (2001) Parent-child interactions, parenting stress, and developmental outcomes at 4 years. Child Health Care 30: 135–150.
138. Browne JV, Talmi A (2005) Family-based intervention to enhance infant-parent relationships in the neonatal intensive care unit. J Pediatr Psychol 30: 667–677. [PubMed]
139. Greco LA, Heffner M, Poe S, Ritchie S, Polak M, et al. (2005) Maternal adjustment following preterm birth: Contributions of experiential avoidance. Behav Ther 36: 177–184.
140. Olafsen KS, Kaaresen PI, Handegård BH, Ulvund SE, Dahl LB, et al. (2008) Maternal ratings of infant regulatory competence from 6 to 12 months: Influence of perceived stress, birth-weight, and intervention. A randomized controlled trial. Infant Behav Dev 31: 408–421. [PubMed] 141. Miles R, Cowan F, Glover V, Stevenson J, Modi N (2006) A controlled trial of skin-to-skin contact in extremely preterm infants. Early Hum Dev 82: 447–455. [PubMed] 142. Newnham CA, Milgrom J, Skouteris H (2009) Effectiveness of a modified mother-infant transaction program on outcomes for preterm infants from 3 to 24 months of age. Infant Behav Dev 32: 17–26. [PubMed] 143. Ong LC, Boo NY, Chandran V (2001) Predictors of neurodevelopmental outcome of Malaysian very low birthweight children at 4 years of age. J Paediatr Child Health 37: 363–368. [PubMed] 144. Robson AL (1997) Low birth weight and parenting stress during early childhood. J Pediatr Psychol 22: 297–311. [PubMed] 145. Thomas KA, Renaud MT, DePaul D (2004) Use of the Parenting Stress Index in mothers of preterm infants. Adv Neonatal Care 4: 33–41. [PubMed]
146. Veddovi M, Gibson F, Kenny DT, Bowen J, Starte D (2004) Preterm behavior, maternal adjustment, and competencies in the newborn period: What influence do they have at 12 months postnatal age? Infant Ment Health J 25: 580–599.
147. Youngblut JM, Singer LT, Madigan EA, Swegart LA, Rodgers WL (1997) Mother, child, and family factors related to employment of single mothers with LBW preschoolers. Psychol Women Q 21: 247–263.
148. Youngblut JM, Singer LT, Madigan EA, Swegart LA, Rodgers WL (1998) Maternal employment and parent-child relationships in single-parent families of low-birth-weight preschoolers. Nurs Res 47: 114–121. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 149. Bell PL (1997) Adolescent mother’s perceptions of the neonatal intensive care unit. J Perinat Neonatal Nurs 11: 77–84. [PubMed]
150. D’Souza SRB, Karkada S, Lewis LE, Mayya S, Guddattu V (2009) Relationship between stress, coping and nursing support of parents of preterm infants admitted to tertiary level neonatal intensive care units of Karnataka, India: A cross-sectional survey. J Neonatal Nurs 15: 152–158.
151. Franck LS, Cox S, Allen A, Winter I (2004) Parental concern and distress about infant pain. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 89: F71–F75. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 152. Franck LS, Cox S, Allen A, Winter I (2005) Measuring neonatal intensive care unit-related parental stress. J Adv Nurs 608–615. [PubMed] 153. Holditch-Davis D, Bartlett TR, Blickman AL, Miles MS (2003) Posttraumatic stress symptoms in mothers of premature infants. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 32: 161–171. [PubMed] 154. Holditch-Davis D, Miles MS, Weaver MA, Black B, Beeber L, et al. (2009) Patterns of distress in African-American mothers of preterm infants. J Dev Behav Pediatr 30: 193–205. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 155. Holditch-Davis D, Schwartz T, Black B, Scher M (2007) Correlates of mother-premature infant interactions. Res Nurs Health 30: 333–346. [PubMed] 156. Miles MS, Holditch-Davis D, Schwartz TA, Scher M (2007) Depressive symptoms in mothers of prematurely born infants. J Dev Behav Pediatr 28: 36–44. [PubMed] 157. Ichijima E, Kirk R, Hornblow A (2011) Parental support in neonatal intensive care units: A cross-cultural comparison between New Zealand and Japan. J Pediatr Nurs 26: 206–215. [PubMed] 158. Lau C, Hurst NM, Smith EO, Schanler RJ (2007) Ethnic/racial diversity, maternal stress, lactation and very low birthweight infants. J Perinatol 27: 399–408. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 159. Melnyk BM, Alpert-Gillis L, Feinstein NF, Fairbanks E, Schultz-Czarniak J, et al. (2001) Improving cognitive development of low-birth-weight premature infants with the COPE program: A pilot study of the benefit of early NICU intervention with mothers. Res Nurs Health 24: 373–389. [PubMed] 160. Melnyk BM, Crean HF, Feinstein NF, Fairbanks E (2008) Maternal anxiety and depression after a premature infant’s discharge from the neonatal intensive care unit. Nurs Res 57: 383–394. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 161. Melnyk BM, Feinstein NF, Alpert-Gillis L, Fairbanks E, Crean HF, et al. (2006) Reducing premature infants’ length of stay and improving parents’ mental health outcomes with the Creating Opportunities for Parent Empowerment (COPE) neonatal intensive care unit program: A randomized, controlled trial. Pediatrics 118: e1414–e1427. [PubMed] 162. Meyer EC, Coll CTG, Lester BM, Boukydis CFZ, McDonough SM, et al. (1994) Family-based intervention improves maternal well-being and feeding interaction of preterm infants. Pediatrics 93: 241–246. [PubMed] 163. Preyde M, Ardal F (2003) Effectiveness of a parent “buddy” program for mothers of very preterm infants in a neonatal intensive care unit. Can Med Assoc J 15: 969–973. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
164. Reid T, Bramwell R (2003) Using the Parental Stressor Scale: NICU with a British sample of mothers of moderate risk preterm infants. J Reprod Infant Psychol 21: 279–291.
165. Roberts KL, Paynter C, McEwan B (2000) A comparison of kangaroo mother care and conventional cuddling care. Neonatal Netw 19: 31–35. [PubMed] 166. Shaw RJ, Deblois T, Ikuta L, Ginzburg K, Fleisher B, et al. (2006) Acute stress disorder among parents of infants in the neonatal intensive care nursery. Psychosomatics 47: 206–212. [PubMed] 167. Sisk PM, Lovelady CA, Dillard RG, Gruber KJ (2006) Lactation counseling for mothers of very low birth weight infants: Effect on maternal anxiety and infant intake of human milk. Pediatrics 117: e67–e75. [PubMed]