1. The MPOWER packge, warning about the dangers of tobacco. Geneva: WHO; 2011. WHO Report on The Global Tobacco Epidemic, 2011.
2. Jha P, Jacob B, Gajalakshmi V, Gupta PC, Dhingra N, Kumar R, et al. A nationally representative case–control study of smoking and death in India. N Engl J Med. 2008;358:1137–47. [PubMed] 3. Gupta PC, Pednekar MS, Parkin DM, Sankaranarayanan R. Tobacco associated mortality in Mumbai (Bombay) India.Results of the Bombay Cohort Study. Int J Epidemiol. 2005;34:1395–402. [PubMed] 4. Ramadas K, Sauvaget C, Thomas G, Fayette JM, Thara S, Sankaranarayanan R. Effect of tobacco chewing, tobacco smoking and alcohol on all-cause and cancer mortality: A cohort study from Trivandrum, India. Cancer Epidemiol. 2010;34(4):405–12. [PubMed]
5. Morbidity and Health Care. Vol. 1. Mumbai: IIPS; 2007. International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS) and Macro International. 2007. National Family Health Survey (NFHS-3), 2005-06: India; pp. 426–8.
7. Gajalakshmi V, Kanimozhi CV. A Survey of 24,000 Students Aged 13–15 Years in India: Global Youth Tobacco Survey 2006 and 2009. Tobacco Use Insights. 2010;3:23–3.
8. Reddy KS, Gupta PC, editors. Report on Tobacco Control in India (New Delhi, India) New Delhi, India: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare; 2004.
10. IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans. IARC; 2002. Tobacco Smoke and Involuntary Smoking; p. 83.
11. A WHO / The Union monograph on TB and tobacco control: Joining efforts to control two related global epidemics. 2010:8–10.
12. Pednekar MS, Gupta PC. Prospective study of smoking and tuberculosis in India. Prev Med. 2007;44:496–8. [PubMed] 13. Pednekar MS, Gupta PC, Yeole BB, Hébert JR. Association of tobacco habits, including bidi smoking, with overall and site-specific cancer incidence: Results from the Mumbai cohort study. Cancer Causes Control. 2011;22:859–68. [PubMed] 14. Goud ML, Mohapatra SC, Mohapatra P, Gaur SD, Pant GC, Knanna MN. Epidemiological Correlates between Consumption of Indian Chewing Tobacco and Oral Cancer. Eur J Epidemiol. 1990;6(2):219–22. [PubMed] 15. Boffetta P, Hecht S, Gray N, Gupta P, Straif K. Smokeless tobacco and cancer. Lancet Oncol. 2008;9:667–75. [PubMed]
17. WHO Report on The Global Tobacco Epidemic, 2009. Implementing smoke-free environments. fresh and alive mpower, WHO. 2009
18. WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. World Health Organization. 2003 (updated reprint 2005) ISBN 978 9241591010.
24. Manual for Tobacco Cessation. National Cancer Control Programme. Directorate General of Health Services. Government of India: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. 2005
25. Mishra GA, Majmudar PV, Gupta SD, Rane PS, Hardikar NM, Shastri SS. Call Centre Employees and Tobacco Dependence – Making a Difference. Indian J Cancer. 2010;47(5):43–52. [PubMed] 26. Mishra GA, Majmudar PV, Gupta SD, Rane PS, Uplap PA, Shastri SS. Workplace tobacco cessation program in India: A success story. Indian J Occup Environ Med. 2009;13:146–53. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 27. Murthy P, Saddichha S. Tobacco cessation services in India: Recent developments and the need for expansion. Indian J Cancer. 2010;47:69–74. [PubMed] 28. Ross H, Chaloupka FJ. Economic policies for tobacco control in developing countries. salud pública de méxico. 2006;48:113–20. [PubMed]
30. Government and the Economics of Tobacco Control. Washington, DC: A World Bank Publication; 1999. Development in Practice. Curbing the Epidemic.
31. Tobacco in India. FAO Corporate Document Repository ISSN 1810-0783. Produced by Economic and Social development department. Issues in the Global tobacco Economy. United Nations Rome. 2003. [Last cited on 2011 Jun 17]. available from:
http://www.fao.org/docrep/006/y4997e/y4997e0h.htm#TopOfPage . 32. Shimkhada R, Peabody JW. Tobacco control in India. Bull World Health Organ. 2003;81:48–52. [PubMed] 33. Rao V, Chaturvedi P. Tobacco and health in India. Indian Journal of Cancer. 2010;47(5):3–8. [PubMed]
34. Rath GK, Chaudhry K. Estimation of cost of management of tobacco related cancers Report of an ICMR Task Force Study (1990-1996) New Delhi, India: Institute of Rotary Cancer Hospital, All India Institute of Medical Sciences; 1999.
35. John RM, Sung HY, Max W. Economic cost of tobacco use in India, 2004. Tob Control. 2009;18:138–43. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 36. Ranson MK, Jha P, Chaloupka FJ, Nguyen SN. Global and regional estimates of the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of price increases and other tobacco control policies. Nicotine Tob Res. 2002;4:311–9. [PubMed]
37. Chaloupka FJ, Warner KE. The economics of smoking. In: Newhouse JP, Cuyler AJ, editors. The handbook of health economics. New York: North-Holland; 2000.
38. Jha P, Chaloupka FJ, Chaloupka FJ, Hu TW, Warner KE, Jacobs R, et al. The taxation of tobacco products. In: Jha P, Chaloupka FJ, editors. Tobacco control in developing countries. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2000. pp. 237–72.
39. Hu TW, Mao Z. Effects of cigarette tax on cigarette consumption and the Chinese economy. Tob control. 2002;11:105–8. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
40. John RM, Rao RK, Rao MG, Moore J, Deshpande RS, Sengupta J, et al. The Economics of Tobacco and Tobacco Taxation in India. Paris: International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease; 2010.
41. Laxminarayan R, Deolalikar A. Tobacco initiation, cessation and change: Evidence from Vietnam. Health Econ. 2004;13:1191–201. [PubMed]
43. Chaloupka FJ, Hu T, Warner LE, Jacobs R, Yurekli A. In: The taxation of tobacco products. Jha P, Chaloupka FJ, editors. 2000. Ch 10.
44. Sunley EM, Yurekli A, Chaloupka FJ. The design, administration and potential revenue of tobacco excises. In: Jha P, Chaloupka FJ, editors. Tobacco Control in developing countries. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2000. pp. 409–26.
45. Corrao MA, Guindon GE, Sharma N, Shokoohi DF, editors. Tobacco Control in developing countries. Atlanta, GA: American Cancer Society; 2000.
46. Chaloupka F, Jha P, Corrao M, Costa e Silva VL, Ross H, Czart C, et al. WHO Commission on Macroeconomics and Health Working Paper Series, June 25 2001. Smoking-Related Mortality.
47. International Tobacco Control Policy Evaluation Project. [Last accessed on 2011 Nov 17]. Available from: