1. Krug EG, Dahlberg LL, Mercy JA, Zwi A, Lozano R (2002) World report on violence and health. Geneva: World Health Organization. [PubMed]
2. Pinheiro PS (2006) World report on violence against children. New York: United Nations.
3. Andrews G, Corry J, Slade T, Issakidis C, Swanston H (2004) Child sexual abuse. In: Ezzati M, Lopez AD, Rodgers A, Murray CJL, editors. Comparative quantification of health risks: global and regional burden of disease attributable to selected major risk factors. Geneva: World Health Organization. pp. 1851–1940.
4. Gilbert R, Widom CS, Browne K, Fergusson D, Webb E, et al. (2009) Burden and consequences of child maltreatment in high-income countries. Lancet 373: 68–81. [PubMed]
5. Butchart A, Phinney Harvey A, Kahane T, Mian M, Furniss T (2006) Preventing child maltreatment: a guide to action and generating evidence. Geneva: World Health Organization and International Society for Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect.
6. Norman R, Schneider M, Bradshaw D, Jewkes R, Abrahams N, et al. (2010) Interpersonal violence: an important risk factor for disease and injury in South Africa. Popul Health Metr 8: 32. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 7. Browne A, Finkelhor DA (1986) Impact of child sexual abuse: a review of the research. Psychol Bull 99: 66–77. [PubMed] 8. Kendall-Tackett K, Williams L, Finkelhor D (1993) Impact of sexual abuse on children: a review and synthesis of recent empirical studies. Psychol Bull 113: 164–180. [PubMed]
9. Polusny M, Follette V (1995) Long-term correlates of child sexual abuse: theory and review of the empirical literature. Appl Prev Psychol 4: 143–166.
10. Murray CJ, Lopez AD, Black R, Mathers CD, Shibuya K, et al. (2007) Global burden of disease 2005: call for collaborators. Lancet 370: 109–110. [PubMed] 11. Desai S, Arias I, Thompson MP, Basile KC (2002) Childhood victimization and subsequent adult revictimization assessed in a nationally representative sample of women and men. Violence Vict 17: 639–653. [PubMed] 12. Felitti VJ, Anda RF, Nordenberg D, Williamson DF, Spitz AM, et al. (1998) Relationship of childhood abuse and household dysfunction to many of the leading causes of death in adults: the Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) study. Am J Prev Med 14: 245–258. [PubMed] 13. Jewkes RK, Dunkle K, Nduna M, Jama PN, Puren A (2010) Associations between childhood adversity and depression, substance abuse and HIV and HSV2 incident infections in rural South African youth. Child Abuse Negl 34: 833–841. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
14. Runyan D, Wattam C, Ikeda R, Hassan F, Ramiro L (2002) Child abuse and neglect by parents and other caregivers. In: Krug EG Dahlberg LL, Mercy JA, Zwi AB, Lozano R, editors. World report on violence and health. Geneva: World Health Organization.
16. Stroup D, Berlin J, Morton S, Ingram O, Williamson G, et al. (2000) Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology. A proposal for reporting. JAMA 283: 2008–2012. [PubMed] 17. Wells G, Shea B, O'Connell D, Petersen J, Welch V, et al. . (2012) The Newcastle-Ottawa Scale (NOS) for assessing the quality of nonrandomized studies in meta-analyses. Ottawa: Ottawa Hospital Research Institute. Available: http://www.ohri.ca/programs/clinical_epidemiology/oxford.asp Accessed 1 November 2012.
18. Barendregt J, Doi SA (2012) MetaXL version 1.2 [computer program]. Brisbane: EpiGear International.
19. Sterne JAC, Egger M (2001) Funnel plots for detecting bias in meta-analysis: guidelines on choice of axis. J Clin Epidemiol 54: 1046–1055. [PubMed] 21. Doi SAR, Barendregt JJ, Mozurkewich EL (2011) Meta-analysis of heterogeneous clinical trials: an empirical example. Contemp Clin Trials 32: 288–298. [PubMed] 22. Hovens JGFM, Wiersma JE, Giltay EJ, van Oppen P, Spinhoven P, et al. (2010) Childhood life events and childhood trauma in adult patients with depressive, anxiety and comorbid disorders vs. controls. Acta Psychiatr Scand 122: 66–74. [PubMed] 23. Johnson JG, Cohen P, Kasen S, Brook JS (2002) Childhood adversities associated with risk for eating disorders or weight problems during adolescence or early adulthood. Am J Psychiatry 159: 394–400. [PubMed] 24. Welch SL, Fairburn CG (1996) Childhood sexual and physical abuse as risk factors for the development of bulimia nervosa: a community-based case control study. Child Abuse Negl 20: 633–642. [PubMed] 25. Yates TM, Carlson EA, Egeland B (2008) A prospective study of child maltreatment and self-injurious behavior in a community sample. Dev Psychopathol 20: 651–671. [PubMed] 26. Afifi TO, Enns MW, Cox BJ, Asmundson GJG, Stein MB, et al. (2008) Population attributable fractions of psychiatric disorders and suicide ideation and attempts associated with adverse childhood experiences. Am J Public Health 98: 946–952. [PubMed] 27. Brezo J, Paris J, Vitaro F, Hébert M, Tremblay RE, et al. (2008) Predicting suicide attempts in young adults with histories of childhood abuse. Br J Psychiatry 193: 134–139. [PubMed] 28. Duke NN, Pettingell SL, McMorris BJ, Borowsky IW (2010) Adolescent violence perpetration: associations with multiple types of adverse childhood experiences. Pediatrics 125: e778–e786. [PubMed] 29. Mullen PE, Martin JL, Anderson JC, Romans SE, Herbison GP (1996) The long-term impact of the physical, emotional, and sexual abuse of children: a community study. Child Abuse Negl 20: 7–21. [PubMed] 30. Silverman AB, Reinherz HZ, Giaconia RM (1996) The long-term sequelae of child and adolescent abuse: a longitudinal community study. Child Abuse Negl 20: 709–723. [PubMed] 31. Williamson DF, Thompson TJ, Anda RF, Dietz WH, Felitti V (2002) Body weight and obesity in adults and self-reported abuse in childhood. Int J Obes 26: 1075–1082. [PubMed] 32. Roberts ME, Fuemmeler BF, McClernon FJ, Beckham JC (2008) Association between trauma exposure and smoking in a population-based sample of young adults. J Adolesc Health 42: 266–274. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 33. Widom CS, Czaja SJ, Bentley T, Johnson MS (2012) A prospective investigation of physical health outcomes in abused and neglected children: new findings from a 30-year follow-up. Am J Public Health 102: 1135–1144. [PubMed] 34. Hill AB (1965) The environment and disease: association or causation? Proc R Soc Med 58: 295–300. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
35. Fergusson DM, Mullen PE (1999) Childhood sexual abuse: an evidence based perspective. Thousand Oaks (California): SAGE.
36. Maughan B, Rutter M (1997) Retrospective reporting of childhood adversity: issues in assessing long-term recall. J Personal Disord 11: 19–33. [PubMed] 37. Widom CS, Raphael KG, DuMont KA (2004) The case for prospective longitudinal studies in child maltreatment research: commentary on Dube, Williamson, Thompson, Felitti, and Anda (2004). Child Abuse Negl 28: 715–722. [PubMed] 38. Kendall-Tackett K, Becker-Blease K (2004) The importance of retrospective findings in child maltreatment research. Child Abuse Negl 28: 723–727. [PubMed] 39. Wise LA, Zierler S, Krieger N, Harlow BL (2001) Adult onset of major depressive disorder in relation to early life violent victimisation: a case-control study. Lancet 358: 881–887. [PubMed] 40. Chapman DP, Whitfield CL, Felitti VJ, Dube SR, Edwards VJ, et al. (2004) Adverse childhood experiences and the risk of depressive disorders in adulthood. J Affect Disord 82: 217–225. [PubMed] 41. Fergusson D, Boden J, Horwood L (2008) Exposure to childhood sexual and physical abuse and adjustment in early adulthood. Child Abuse Negl 32: 607–619. [PubMed] 42. Schoemaker C, Smit F, Bijl RV, Vollebergh WAM (2002) Bulimia nervosa following psychological and multiple child abuse: support for the self-medication hypothesis in a population-based cohort study. Int J Eat Disord 32: 381–388. [PubMed] 43. Widom CS, DuMont K, Czaja SJ (2007) A prospective investigation of major depressive disorder and comorbidity in abused and neglected children grown up. Arch Gen Psychiatry 64: 49–56. [PubMed] 44. Wijma K, Samelius L, Wingren G, Wijma B (2007) The association between ill-health and abuse: a cross-sectional population based study. Scand J Psychol 48: 567–575. [PubMed] 45. Glaser D (2000) Child abuse and neglect and the brain—a review. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 41: 97–116. [PubMed] 46. Lee V, Hoaken P (2007) Cognition, emotion, and neurobiological development: mediating the relation between maltreatment and aggression. Child Maltreat 12: 281–298. [PubMed] 47. Shevlin M, Dorahy MJ, Adamson G (2007) Trauma and psychosis: an analysis of the National Comorbidity Survey. Am J Psychiatry 164: 166–169. [PubMed] 48. Shonkoff JP, Boyce WT, McEwen BS (2009) Neuroscience, molecular biology, and the childhood roots of health disparities. Building a new framework for health promotion and disease prevention. JAMA 301: 2252–2259. [PubMed] 49. Horwitz AV, Widom CS, McLaughlin J, White HR (2001) The impact of childhood abuse and neglect on adult mental health: a prospective study. J Health Soc Behav 42: 184–201. [PubMed] 50. Mullen P, Martin J, Anderson J, Romans S, Herbison GP (1993) Childhood sexual abuse and mental health in adult life. Br J Psychiatry 163: 721–732. [PubMed]
51. Turner R, Wheaton B, Lloyd D (1995) The epidemiology of stress. Am Sociol Rev 60: 104–125.
52. Young S, Bang H (2004) The file-drawer problem, revisited. Science 306: 1133–1134. [PubMed]
53. Barnett D, Manly JT, Cicchetti D (1993) Defining child maltreatment: the interface between policy and research. In: Cicchetti D, Toth SL, editors. Advances in applied developmental psychology: child abuse, child development and social policy. Norwood (New Jersey): Ablex Publishing.
54. Afifi TO, Brownridge DA, Cox BJ, Sareen J (2006) Physical punishment, childhood abuse and psychiatric disorders. Child Abuse Negl 30: 1093–1103. [PubMed] 55. Afifi TO, Mota NP, Dasiewicz P, MacMillan HL, Sareen J (2012) Physical punishment and mental disorders: results from a nationally representative US sample. Pediatrics 130: 1–9. [PubMed] 56. Straus MA, Kantor GK (1994) Corporal punishment of adolescents by parents: a risk factor in the epidemiology of depression, suicide, alcohol abuse, child abuse, and wife beating. Adolescence 29: 543–561. [PubMed] 57. Duncan RD, Saunders BE, Kilpatrick DG, Hanson RF, Resnick HS (1996) Childhood physical assault as a risk factor for PTSD, depression, and substance abuse: findings from a national survey. Am J Orthopsychiatry 66: 437–448. [PubMed] 58. Finkelhor D (1994) Current information on the scope and nature of child sexual abuse. Future Child 4: 31–53. [PubMed]
59. Giavonnoni JM (1989) Definitional issues in child maltreatment. In: Cicchetti D, Carlson V, editors. Child maltreatment: theory and research on the causes and consequences of child abuse and neglect. New York: Cambridge University Press. pp. 3–37.
60. Mash EJ, Wolfe DA (1991) Methodological issues in research on physical child abuse. Crim Justice Behav 18: 8–29.
61. Fuller-Thomson E, Baker TM, Brennenstuhl S (2010) Investigating the association between childhood physical abuse and migraine. Headache 50: 749–760. [PubMed] 62. Fuller-Thomson E, Brennenstuhl S (2009) Making a link between childhood physical abuse and cancer: results from a regional representative survey. Cancer 115: 3341–3350. [PubMed] 63. Fuller-Thomson E, Brennenstuhl S, Frank J (2010) The association between childhood physical abuse and heart disease in adulthood: findings from a representative community sample. Child Abuse Negl 34: 689–698. [PubMed] 64. Goodwin RD, Fergusson DM, Horwood LJ (2005) Childhood abuse and familial violence and the risk of panic attacks and panic disorder in young adulthood. Psychol Med 35: 881–890. [PubMed] 65. Goodwin RD, Hoven CW, Murison R, Hotopf M (2003) Association between childhood physical abuse and gastrointestinal disorders and migraine in adulthood. Am J Public Health 93: 1065–1067. [PubMed] 66. Goodwin RD, Stein MB (2004) Association between childhood trauma and physical disorders among adults in the United States. Psychol Med 34: 509–520. [PubMed] 67. Goodwin RD, Wamboldt FS (2012) Childhood physical abuse and respiratory disease in the community: the role of mental health and cigarette smoking. Nicotine Tob Res 14: 91–97. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 68. Goodwin RD, Wamboldt MZ, Pine DS (2003) Lung disease and internalizing disorders: is childhood abuse a shared etiologic factor? J Psychosom Res 55: 215–219. [PubMed] 69. Libby AM, Orton HD, Novins DK, Spicer P, Buchwald D, et al. (2004) Childhood physical and sexual abuse and subsequent alcohol and drug use disorders in two American-Indian tribes. J Stud Alcohol 65: 74–83. [PubMed] 70. Macmillan HL, Fleming JE, Streiner DL, Lin E, Boyle MH, et al. (2001) Childhood abuse and lifetime psychopathology in a community sample. Am J Psychiatry 158: 1878–1883. [PubMed] 71. Nichols HB, Harlow BL (2004) Childhood abuse and risk of smoking onset. J Epidemiol Community Health 58: 402–406. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 72. Strine TW, Dube SR, Edwards VJ, Prehn AW, Rasmussen S, et al. (2012) Associations between adverse childhood experiences, psychological distress, and adult alcohol problems. Am J Health Behav 36: 408–423. [PubMed] 73. Cougle JR, Timpano KR, Sachs-Ericsson N, Keough ME, Riccardi CJ (2010) Examining the unique relationships between anxiety disorders and childhood physical and sexual abuse in the National Comorbidity Survey-Replication. Psychiatry Res 177: 150–155. [PubMed] 74. Fuemmeler BF, Dedert E, McClernon FJ, Beckham JC (2009) Adverse childhood events are associated with obesity and disordered eating: results from a U.S. population-based survey of young adults. J Trauma Stress 22: 329–333. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 75. Griffin ML, Amodeo M (2010) Predicting long-term outcomes for women physically abused in childhood: contribution of abuse severity versus family environment. Child Abuse Negl 34: 724–733. [PubMed] 76. Haydon AA, Hussey JM, Halpern CT (2011) Childhood abuse and neglect and the risk of STDs in early adulthood. Perspect Sex Reprod Health 43: 16–22. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 77. Jirapramukpitak T, Prince M, Harpham T (2005) The experience of abuse and mental health in the young Thai population. A preliminary survey. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 40: 955–963. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 78. Rich-Edwards JW, Spiegelman D, Hibert ENL, Jun H-J, Todd TJ, et al. (2010) Abuse in childhood and adolescence as a predictor of type 2 diabetes in adult women. Am J Prev Med 39: 529–536. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 79. Schneider R, Baumrind N, Kimerling R (2007) Exposure to child abuse and risk for mental health problems in women. Violence Vict 22: 620–631. [PubMed] 80. Finkelhor D (1994) The international epidemiology of child sexual abuse. Child Abuse Negl 18: 409–417. [PubMed] 81. Stoltenborgh M, van Ljzendoorn MH, Euser EM, Bakermans-Kranenburg MJ (2011) A global perspective on child sexual abuse: meta-analysis of prevalence around the world. Child Maltreat 16: 79–101. [PubMed] 82. Anda RF, Butchart A, Felitti VJ, Brown DW (2010) Building a framework for global surveillance of the public health implications of adverse childhood experiences. Am J Prev Med 39: 93–98. [PubMed] 83. Runyan DK, Dunne MP, Zolotor AJ (2009) Introduction to the development of the ISPCAN child abuse screening tools. Child Abuse Negl 33: 842–845. [PubMed] 84. Scott J, Varghese D, McGrath J (2010) As the twig is bent, the tree inclines: adult mental health consequences of childhood adversity. Arch Gen Psychiatry 67: 111–112. [PubMed] 85. Masten AS (2001) Ordinary magic. Resilience processes in development. Am Psychol 56: 227–238. [PubMed] 86. Masten AS (2007) Resilience in developing systems: progress and promise as the fourth wave rises. Dev Psychopathol 19: 921–930. [PubMed] 87. Caspi A, Sugden K, Moffitt TE, Taylor A, Craig IW, et al. (2003) Influence of life stress on depression: moderation by a polymorphism in the 5-HTT gene. Science 301: 386–389. [PubMed] 88. Cicchetti D (2010) Resilience under conditions of extreme stress: a multilevel perspective. World Psychiatry 9: 145–154. [PubMed] 89. Yehuda R, Flory JD, Pratchett LC, Buxbaum J, Ising M, et al. (2010) Putative biological mechanisms for the association between early life adversity and the subsequent development of PTSD. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 212: 405–417. [PubMed] 90. Meaney MJ (2010) Epigenetics and the biological definition of gene x environment interactions. Child Dev 81: 41–79. [PubMed] 91. Sapienza JK, Masten AS (2011) Understanding and promoting resilience in children and youth. Curr Opin Psychiatry 24: 267–273. [PubMed] 92. Ezzati M, Lopez A, Rodgers A, Vander Hoorn S, Murray C (2002) Selected major risk factors and global and regional burden of disease. Lancet 360: 1347–1360. [PubMed] 93. Butchart A (2008) Epidemiology: the major missing element in the global response to child maltreatment? Am J Prev Med 34: S103–S105. [PubMed] 94. Anda RF, Croft JB, Felitti VJ, Nordenberg D, Giles WH, et al. (1999) Adverse childhood experiences and smoking during adolescence and adulthood. JAMA 282: 1652–1658. [PubMed] 95. Astin MC, Ogland-Hand SM, Coleman EM, Foy DS (1995) Posttraumatic stress disorder and childhood abuse in battered women: comparisons with maritally distressed women. J Consult Clin Psychol 63: 308–312. [PubMed] 96. Bennett EM, Kemper KJ (1994) Is abuse during childhood a risk factor for developing substance abuse problems as an adult? J Dev Behav Pediatr 15: 426–429. [PubMed] 97. Bensley LS, Van Eenwyk J, Simmons KW (2000) Self-reported childhood sexual and physical abuse and adult HIV-risk behaviors and heavy drinking. Am J Prev Med 18: 151–158. [PubMed] 98. Bentley T, Widom CS (2009) A 30-year follow-up of the effects of child abuse and neglect on obesity in adulthood. Obesity (Silver Spring) 17: 1900–1905. [PubMed] 99. Bonomi AE, Cannon EA, Anderson ML, Rivara FP, Thompson RS (2008) Association between self-reported health and physical and/or sexual abuse experienced before age 18. Child Abuse Negl 32: 693–701. [PubMed] 100. Boynton-Jarrett R, Rich-Edwards JW, Jun H-J, Hibert EN, Wright RJ (2011) Abuse in childhood and risk of uterine leiomyoma: the role of emotional support in biologic resilience. Epidemiology 22: 6–14. [PubMed] 101. Bremner JD, Southwick SM, Johnson DR, Yehuda R, Charney DS (1993) Childhood physical abuse and combat-related posttraumatic stress disorder in Vietnam veterans. Am J Psychiatry 150: 235–239. [PubMed] 102. Brown J, Cohen P, Johnson JG, Smailes EM (1999) Childhood abuse and neglect: specificity and effects on adolescent and young adult depression and suicidality. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 38: 1490–1496. [PubMed] 103. Chartier MJ, Walker JR, Naimark B (2009) Health risk behaviors and mental health problems as mediators of the relationship between childhood abuse and adult health. Am J Public Health 99: 847–854. [PubMed] 104. Cohen P, Brown J, Smailes E (2001) Child abuse and neglect and the development of mental disorders in the general population. Dev Psychopathol 13: 981–999. [PubMed] 105. Coid J, Petruckevitch A, Chung W-S, Richardson J, Moorey S, et al. (2003) Abusive experiences and psychiatric morbidity in women primary care attenders. Br J Psychiatry 183: 332–339. [PubMed] 106. Conroy E, Degenhardt L, Mattick RP, Nelson EC (2009) Child maltreatment as a risk factor for opioid dependence: comparison of family characteristics and type and severity of child maltreatment with a matched control group. Child Abuse Negl 33: 343–352. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
107. Courtney EA, Kushwaha M, Johnson JG (2008) Childhood emotional abuse and risk for hopelessness and depressive symptoms during adolescence. J Emot Abuse 8: 281–298.
108. Dong M, Giles WH, Felitti VJ, Dube SR, Williams JE, et al. (2004) Insights into causal pathways for ischemic heart disease: adverse childhood experiences study. Circulation 110: 1761–1766. [PubMed] 109. Draper B, Pfaff JJ, Pirkis J, Snowdon J, Lautenschlager NT, et al. (2008) Long-term effects of childhood abuse on the quality of life and health of older people: results from the depression and early prevention of suicide in general practice project. J Am Geriatr Soc 56: 262–271. [PubMed] 110. Dube SR, Anda RF, Felitti VJ, Chapman DP, Williamson DF, et al. (2001) Childhood abuse, household dysfunction, and the risk of attempted suicide throughout the life span: findings from the adverse childhood experiences study. JAMA 286: 3089–3096. [PubMed] 111. Dube SR, Felitti VJ, Dong M, Chapman DP, Giles WH, et al. (2003) Childhood abuse, neglect, and household dysfunction and the risk of illicit drug use: the adverse childhood experiences study. Pediatrics 111: 564–572. [PubMed] 112. Dube SR, Miller JW, Brown DW, Giles WH, Felitti VJ, et al. (2006) Adverse childhood experiences and the association with ever using alcohol and initiating alcohol use during adolescence. J Adolesc Health 38: 444.e441–444.e410. [PubMed]
113. Egeland B, Yates T, Appleyard K, van Dulmen M (2002) The long-term consequences of maltreatment in the early years: a developmental pathway model to antisocial behavior. Child Serv: Soc Pol Res Prac 5: 249–260.
114. Enns MW, Cox BJ, Afifi TO, De Graaf R, Ten Have M, et al. (2006) Childhood adversities and risk for suicidal ideation and attempts: a longitudinal population-based study. Psychol Med 36: 1769–1778. [PubMed] 115. Evans-Campbell T, Lindhorst T, Huang B, Walters KL (2006) Interpersonal violence in the lives of urban American Indian and Alaska Native women: implications for health, mental health, and help-seeking. Am J Public Health 96: 1416–1422. [PubMed] 116. Fergusson DM, Boden JM, Horwood LJ (2008) The developmental antecedents of illicit drug use: evidence from a 25-year longitudinal study. Drug Alcohol Depend 96: 165–177. [PubMed] 117. Flisher A, Ziervogel C, Chalton D, Leger P, Robertson B (1996) Risk-taking behaviour of Cape Peninsula high-school students. Part X. Multivariate relationships among behaviours. S Afr Med J 86: 1094–1098. [PubMed] 118. Fujiwara T, Kawakami N (2011) World Mental Health Japan Survey Group (2011) Association of childhood adversities with the first onset of mental disorders in Japan: results from the World Mental Health Japan, 2002–2004. J Psychiatr Res 45: 481–487. [PubMed] 119. Fuller-Thomson E, Stefanyk M, Brennenstuhl S (2009) The robust association between childhood physical abuse and osteoarthritis in adulthood: findings from a representative community sample. Arthritis Rheum 61: 1554–1562. [PubMed] 120. Fuller-Thomson E, Bottoms J, Brennenstuhl S, Hurd M (2011) Is childhood physical abuse associated with peptic ulcer disease? Findings from a population-based study. J Interpers Violence 26: 3225–3247. [PubMed] 121. Gal G, Levav I, Gross R (2011) Psychopathology among adults abused during childhood or adolescence: results from the Israel-based World Mental Health Survey. J Nerv Ment Dis 199: 222–229. [PubMed] 122. Goodwin RD, Weisberg SP (2002) Childhood abuse and diabetes in the community. Diabetes Care 25: 801–802. [PubMed] 123. Gould DA, Stevens NG, Ward NG, Carlin AS, Sowell HE, et al. (1994) Self-reported childhood abuse in an adult population in a primary care setting. Prevalence, correlates, and associated suicide attempts. Arch Fam Med 3: 252–256. [PubMed] 124. Green JG, McLaughlin KA, Berglund PA, Gruber MJ, Sampson NA, et al. (2010) Childhood adversities and adult psychiatric disorders in the national comorbidity survey replication I: associations with first onset of DSM-IV disorders. Arch Gen Psychiatry 67: 113–123. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 125. Gunstad J, Paul RH, Spitznagel MB, Cohen RA, Williams LM, et al. (2006) Exposure to early life trauma is associated with adult obesity. Psychiatry Res 142: 31–37. [PubMed] 126. Hamburger ME, Leeb RT, Swahn MH (2008) Childhood maltreatment and early alcohol use among high-risk adolescents. J Stud Alcohol Drugs 69: 291–295. [PubMed] 127. Hanson RF, Saunders B, Kilpatrick D, Resnick H, Crouch JA, et al. (2001) Impact of childhood rape and aggravated assault on adult mental health. Am J Orthopsychiatry 71: 108–119. [PubMed] 128. Hillis SD, Anda RF, Felitti V, Nordenberg D, Marchbanks P (2000) Adverse childhood experiences and sexually transmitted diseases in men and women: a retrospective study. Pediatrics 106: E11. [PubMed] 129. Huang S, Trapido E, Fleming L, Arheart K, Crandall L, et al. (2011) The long-term effects of childhood maltreatment experiences on subsequent illicit drug use and drug-related problems in young adulthood. Addict Behav 36: 95–102. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 130. Jeon HJ, Roh M-S, Kim K-H, Lee J-R, Lee D, et al. (2009) Early trauma and lifetime suicidal behavior in a nationwide sample of Korean medical students. J Affect Disord 119: 210–214. [PubMed] 131. Juang KD, Wang SJ, Fuh JL, Lu SR, Chen YS (2004) Association between adolescent chronic daily headache and childhood adversity: a community-based study. Cephalalgia 24: 54–59. [PubMed] 132. Jun H-J, Rich-Edwards JW, Boynton-Jarrett R, Austin SB, Frazier AL, et al. (2008) Child abuse and smoking among young women: the importance of severity, accumulation, and timing. J Adolesc Health 43: 55–63. [PubMed] 133. Kaplan SJ, Pelcovitz D, Salzinger S, Weiner M, Mandel FS, et al. (1998) Adolescent physical abuse: risk for adolescent psychiatric disorders. Am J Psychiatry 155: 954–959. [PubMed] 134. Kerr T, Stoltz J-A, Marshall BDL, Lai C, Strathdee SA, et al. (2009) Childhood trauma and injection drug use among high-risk youth. J Adolesc Health 45: 300–302. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 135. Lau JTF, Chan KK, Lam PKW, Choi PYW, Lai KYC (2003) Psychological correlates of physical abuse in Hong Kong Chinese adolescents. Child Abuse Negl 27: 63–75. [PubMed] 136. Levitan RD, Rector NA, Sheldon T, Goering P (2003) Childhood adversities associated with major depression and/or anxiety disorders in a community sample of Ontario: issues of co-morbidity and specificity. Depress Anxiety 17: 34–42. [PubMed] 137. Libby AM, Orton HD, Novins DK, Beals J, Manson SM, et al. (2005) Childhood physical and sexual abuse and subsequent depressive and anxiety disorders for two American Indian tribes. Psychol Med 35: 329–340. [PubMed] 138. Lissau I, Sorensen TI (1994) Parental neglect during childhood and increased risk of obesity in young adulthood. Lancet 343: 324–327. [PubMed] 139. Logan JE, Leeb RT, Barker LE (2009) Gender-specific mental and behavioral outcomes among physically abused high-risk seventh-grade youths. Public Health Reports 124: 234–245. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 140. Nikulina V, Widom CS, Czaja S (2011) The role of childhood neglect and childhood poverty in predicting mental health, academic achievement and crime in adulthood. Am J Community Psychol 48: 309–321. [PubMed]
141. Perkins DF, Luster T, Jank W (2002) Protective factors, physical abuse, and purging from community-wide surveys of female adolescents. J Adolesc Res 17: 377–400.
142. Pillai A, Andrews T, Patel V (2009) Violence, psychological distress and the risk of suicidal behaviour in young people in India. Int J Epidemiol 38: 459–469. [PubMed] 143. Ramiro LS, Madrid BJ, Brown DW (2010) Adverse childhood experiences (ACE) and health-risk behaviors among adults in a developing country setting. Child Abuse Negl 34: 842–855. [PubMed] 144. Riley EH, Wright RJ, Jun HJ, Hibert EN, Rich-Edwards JW (2010) Hypertension in adult survivors of child abuse: observations from the Nurses' Health Study II. J Epidemiol Community Health 64: 413–418. [PubMed] 145. Ritchie K, Jaussent I, Stewart R, Dupuy A-M, Courtet P, et al. (2009) Association of adverse childhood environment and 5-HTTLPR genotype with late-life depression. J Clin Psychiatry 70: 1281–1288. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 146. Rohde P, Ichikawa L, Simon GE, Ludman EJ, Linde JA, et al. (2008) Associations of child sexual and physical abuse with obesity and depression in middle-aged women. Child Abuse Negl 32: 878–887. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 147. Romans S, Belaise C, Martin J, Morris E, Raffi A (2002) Childhood abuse and later medical disorders in women: an epidemiological study. Psychother Psychosom 71: 141–150. [PubMed] 148. Rubino IA, Nanni RC, Pozzi DM, Siracusano A (2009) Early adverse experiences in schizophrenia and unipolar depression. J Nerv Ment Dis 197: 65–68. [PubMed] 149. Scott KM, Von Korff M, Alonso J, Angermeyer MC, Benjet C, et al. (2008) Childhood adversity, early-onset depressive/anxiety disorders, and adult-onset asthma. Psychosom Med 70: 1035–1043. [PubMed] 150. Scott KM, Von Korff M, Angermeyer MC, Benjet C, Bruffaerts R, et al. (2011) Association of childhood adversities and early-onset mental disorders with adult-onset chronic physical conditions. Arch Gen Psychiatry 68: 838–844. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 151. Sidhartha T, Jena S (2006) Suicidal behaviors in adolescents. Indian J Pediatr 73: 783–788. [PubMed] 152. Smith CA, Ireland TO, Thornberry TP (2005) Adolescent maltreatment and its impact on young adult antisocial behavior. Child Abuse Negl 29: 1099–1119. [PubMed] 153. Springer KW, Sheridan J, Kuo D, Carnes M (2007) Long-term physical and mental health consequences of childhood physical abuse: results from a large population-based sample of men and women. Child Abuse Negl 31: 517–530. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 154. Springer KW (2009) Childhood physical abuse and midlife physical health: testing a multi-pathway life course model. Soc Sci Med 69: 138–146. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 155. Stein MB, Walker JR, Anderson G, Hazen AL, Ross CA, et al. (1996) Childhood physical and sexual abuse in patients with anxiety disorders and in a community sample. Am J Psychiatry 153: 275–277. [PubMed] 156. Stein DJ, Scott K, Abad JMH, Aguilar-Gaxiola S, Alonso J, et al. (2010) Early childhood adversity and later hypertension: data from the World Mental Health Survey. Ann Clin Psychiatry 22: 19–28. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 157. Thomas C, Hypponen E, Power C (2008) Obesity and type 2 diabetes risk in midadult life: the role of childhood adversity. Pediatrics 121: e1240–e1249. [PubMed]
158. Thompson MP, Arias I, Basile KC, Dejai S (2002) The association between childhood physical and sexual victimization and health problems in adulthood in a nationally representative sample of women. J Interpers Violence 17: 1115–1129.
159. Thompson MP, Kingree JB, Desai S (2004) Gender differences in long-term health consequences of physical abuse of children: data from a nationally representative survey. Am J Public Health 94: 599–604. [PubMed] 160. Thompson R, Proctor LJ, English DJ, Dubowitz H, Narasimhan S, et al. (2012) Suicidal ideation in adolescence: examining the role of recent adverse experiences. J Adolesc 35: 175–186. [PubMed] 161. Timko C, Sutkowi A, Pavao J, Kimerling R (2008) Women's childhood and adult adverse experiences, mental health, and binge drinking: the California Women's Health Survey. Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy 3: 15. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 162. Trent L, Stander V, Thomsen C, Merrill L (2007) Alcohol abuse among U.S. Navy recruits who were maltreated in childhood. Alcohol Alcohol 42: 370–375. [PubMed] 163. Turner C, Russell A, Brown W (2003) Prevalence of illicit drug use in young Australian women, patterns of use and associated risk factors. Addiction 98: 1419–1426. [PubMed] 164. Vander Weg MW (2011) Adverse childhood experiences and cigarette smoking: the 2009 Arkansas and Louisiana Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance Systems. Nicotine Tob Res 13: 616–622. [PubMed] 165. Von Korff M, Alonso J, Ormel J, Angermeyer M, Bruffaerts R, et al. (2009) Childhood psychosocial stressors and adult onset arthritis: broad spectrum risk factors and allostatic load. Pain 143: 76–83. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 166. Wainwright NWJ, Surtees PG (2002) Childhood adversity, gender and depression over the life-course. J Affect Disord 72: 33–44. [PubMed] 167. Wan GWY, Leung PWL (2010) Factors accounting for youth suicide attempt in Hong Kong: a model building. J Adolesc 33: 575–582. [PubMed] 168. Widom CS, Ireland T, Glynn PJ (1995) Alcohol abuse in abused and neglected children followed-up: are they at increased risk? J Stud Alcohol 56: 207–217. [PubMed] 169. Widom C, Kuhns J (1996) Childhood victimization and subsequent risk for promiscuity, prostitution, and teenage pregnancy: a prospective study. Am J Public Health 86: 1607–1612. [PubMed] 170. Widom CS, Weiler BL, Cottler LB (1999) Childhood victimization and drug abuse: a comparison of prospective and retrospective findings. J Consult Clin Psychol 67: 867–880. [PubMed] 171. Widom CS (1999) Posttraumatic stress disorder in abused and neglected children grown up. Am J Psychiatry 156: 1223–1229. [PubMed] 172. Wilson H, Widom CS (2008) An examination of risky sexual behavior and HIV in victims of child abuse and neglect: a 30-year follow-up. Health Psychol 27: 149–158. [PubMed] 173. Wilson HW, Widom CS (2009) Sexually transmitted diseases among adults who had been abused and neglected as children: a 30-year prospective study. Am J Public Health 99Suppl 1S197–S203. [PubMed] 174. Wilson HW, Widom CS (2011) Pathways from childhood abuse and neglect to HIV-risk sexual behavior in middle adulthood. J Consult Clin Psychol 79: 236–246. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 175. Wise LA, Palmer JR, Boggs DA, Adams-Campbell LL, Rosenberg L (2011) Abuse victimization and risk of breast cancer in the Black Women's Health Study [corrected]. Cancer Causes Control 22: 659–669. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 176. Young SYN, Hansen CJ, Gibson RL, Ryan MAK (2006) Risky alcohol use, age at onset of drinking, and adverse childhood experiences in young men entering the US marine corps. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 160: 1207–1214. [PubMed]
177. Benson PL (1990) The troubled journey: a portrait of 6th- to 12th-grade youth. Minneapolis (Minnesota): Search Institute.
178. Sinha A, Singh R (1993) The Adjustment Inventory for School Students (AISS). Agra (India): National Psychological Corporation.
179. Grant BF, Dawson DA, Stinson FS, Chou PS, Kay W, et al. (2003) The Alcohol Use Disorder and Associated Disabilities Interview Schedule-IV (AUDADIS-IV): reliability of alcohol consumption, tobacco use, family history of depression and psychiatric diagnostic modules in a general population sample. Drug Alcohol Depend 71: 7–16. [PubMed] 180. Saunders J, Aasland O, Babor TF, de la Fuente J, Grant M (1993) Development of the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT): WHO collaborative project on early detection of persons with harmful alcohol consumption—II. Addiction 88: 791–804. [PubMed] 181. Bush K, Kivlahan DR, McDonell MB, Fihn SD, Bradley KA (1998) The AUDIT alcohol consumption questions (AUDIT-C): an effective brief screening test for problem drinking. Ambulatory Care Quality Improvement Project (ACQUIP). Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test. Arch Intern Med 158: 1789–1795. [PubMed]
182. Beck AT, Steer RA, Brown GK (1996) Manual for the Beck Depression Inventory-II. San Antonio (Texas): Psychological Corporation.
183. Mayfield D, McLeod G, Hall P (1974) The CAGE questionnaire: validation of a new alcoholism screening instrument. Am J Psychiatry 131: 1121–1123. [PubMed]
184. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2000) Measuring healthy days: population assessment of health-related quality of life. Atlanta (Georgia): Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
185. Kovacs M (1992) Children's depression inventory manual. North Tonawanda (New York): Multi-Health Systems.
186. Radloff LS (1977) The CES-D scale: a self-report depression scale for research in the general population. Appl Psychol Meas 1: 385–401.
187. Kessler RC, Ustün TB (2004) The World Mental Health (WMH) survey initiative version of the World Health Organization (WHO) Composite International Diagnostic Interview (CIDI). Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 13: 93–121. [PubMed] 188. Lewis G, Pelosi A, Araya R, Dunn G (1992) Measuring psychiatric disorder in the community: a standardized assessment for use by lay interviewers. Psychol Med 22: 465–486. [PubMed] 189. Berk E, Black J, Locastro J, Wickis J, Simpson T, et al. (1989) Traumatogenicity: effects of self-reported noncombat trauma on MMPIs of male Vietnam combat and noncombat veterans treated for substance abuse. J Clin Psychol 45: 704–708. [PubMed] 190. Bernstein DP, Fink L, Handelsman L, Foote J, Lovejoy M, et al. (1994) Initial reliability and validity of a new retrospective measure of child abuse and neglect. Am J Psychiatry 151: 1132–1136. [PubMed]
191. Straus MA (1979) Measuring intrafamily conflict and violence: the Conflict Tactics (CT) Scales. J Marriage Fam 41: 75–88.
192. Costello EJ, Edelbrock CS, Duncan MK, Kalas R (1984) Testing of the NIMH Diagnostic Interview Schedule for Children (DISC) in a clinical population: final report to the Center for Epidemiological Studies, NIMH. Pittsburgh (Pennsylvania): University of Pittsburgh.
193. Breton J, Bergeron L, Valla J, Berthiaume C, St-Georges M (1998) Diagnostic interview schedule for children (DISC–2.25) in Quebec: reliability findings in light of the MECA study. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 37: 1167–1174. [PubMed]
194. Robins LN, Helzer JE, Cottler L, Goldring E (1989) National Institute of Mental Health Diagnostic Interview Schedule Version III Revised (DIS-III-R). St Louis (Missouri): Washington University.
195. Cooper Z, Fairburn CG (1987) The Eating Disorder Examination: a semi-structured interview for the assessment of the specific psychopathology of eating disorders. Int J Eat Disord 8: 1–8.
196. Bremner J, Bolus R, Mayer E (2007) Psychometric properties of the Early Trauma Inventory-Self Report. J Nerv Ment Dis 195: 211–218. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 197. Rey J, Singh M, Hung S, Dossetor D, Newman L, et al. (1997) A global scale to measure the quality of the family environment. Arch Gen Psychiatry 54: 817–822. [PubMed]
198. Kilpatrick DG, Saunders BE, Amick-McMullan A, Best CL, Veronen LJ, et al. (1989) Victim and crime factors associated with the development of crime-related post-traumatic stress disorder. Behav Ther 20: 199–214.
199. Puig-Antich J, Chambers W (1978) The schedule of affective disorders and schizophrenia for school-aged children. New York: New York Psychiatric Institute.
200. Seltzer ML (1971) The Michigan Alcoholism Screening Test: the quest for a new diagnostic instrument. Am J Psychiatry 127: 89–94. [PubMed]
201. Lecrubier Y, Sheehan DV, Weiller E, Amorim P, Bonora I, et al. (1997) The Mini International Neuropsychiatric Interview (MINI). A short diagnostic structured interview: reliability and validity according to the CIDI. Eur Psychiatry 12: 224–231.
202. Parker G, Tupling H, Brown LB (1979) A parental bonding instrument. Br J Med Psychol 52: 1–10.
203. Prins A, Ouimette PC, Kimerling R, Thrailkill A, Cameron R, et al. (2004) The Primary Care PTSD Screen (PC-PTSD): development, operating characteristics and clinical utility. Primary Care Psychiatry 9: 9–14.
204. Dohrenwend BS, Kranoff L, Askenasy AR, Dohrenwend BP (1978) Exemplification of a method for scaling life events: the PERI Life Events Scale. J Health Soc Behav 19: 205–229. [PubMed] 205. Newmann JP (1984) Sex differences in symptoms of depression: clinical disorder or normal distress. J Health Soc Behav 25: 136–159. [PubMed]
206. Wing JK, Cooper JE, Sartorius N (1974) The measurement and classification of psychiatric symptoms. London: Cambridge University Press.
207. Beck A, Kovacs M, Weissman A (1979) Assessment of suicidal intention: the Scale for Suicide Ideation. J Consult Clin Psychol 47: 343–352. [PubMed]
208. Yates TM, Carlson EA (2003) Self-Injurious Behavior Questionnaire. Minneapolis (Minnesota): University of Minnesota.
209. Silberstein S, Lipton R, Sliwinski M (1996) Classification of daily and near-daily headaches: field trial of revised IHS criteria. Neurology 47: 871–875. [PubMed]
210. Spitzer RL, Williams JB, Gibbon M, First M (1990) Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-III-R (nonpatient edition). Washington (District of Columbia): American Psychiatric Press.
211. First M, Spitzer R, Williams J, Gibbon M (1995) Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV–Patient Edition (SCID-P). Washington (District of Columbia): American Psychiatric Press.
212. Norris FH (1990) Screening for traumatic stress: a scale for use in the general population. J Appl Soc Psychol 20: 1704–1718.
213. Achenbach TM (1991) Manual of the Youth Self-Report and 1991 profile. Burlington (Vermont): Department of Psychiatry, University of Vermont.