1. Backer Dirks O, Houwink B, Kwant GW. The results of 6 1/2 years of artificial fluoridation of drinking water in the Netherlands. The Tiel-Culemborg experiment. Arch Oral Biol. 1961;5:284–300. [PubMed] 2. Groeneveld A, Van Eck AA, Backer Dirks O. Fluoride in caries prevention: is the effect pre- or post-eruptive? J Dent Res. 1990;69:751–755. [PubMed] 3. Marinho VC. Evidence-based effectiveness of topical fluorides. Adv Dent Res. 2008;20:3–7. [PubMed] 4. Fejerskov O. Changing paradigms in concepts on dental caries: consequences for oral health care. Caries Res. 2004;38:182–191. [PubMed]
5. Frencken JE, Holmgren CJ, van Palenstein Helderman. WHO Collaborating Centre for Oral Health Care Planning and Future Scenarios, Nijmegen; 2002. Basic Package of Oral Care.
6. Elderton R. Principles in the management and treatment of dental caries. In: Elderton R, editor. The dentition and dental care. Oxford: Heinemann Medical Books; 1990. pp. 237–262.
7. Peters MC, McLean ME. Minimally invasive operative care. I. Minimal intervention and concepts for minimally invasive cavity preparations. J Adhes Dent. 2001;3:7–16. [PubMed] 8. Massler M. Pulpal reactions to dental caries. Int Dent J. 1967;17:441–460. [PubMed] 9. Fusayama T. The process and results of revolution in dental caries treatment. Int Dent J. 1997;47:157–166. [PubMed] 10. Ngo HC, Mount G, Mc Intyre J, Tuisuva J, Von Doussa RJ. Chemical exchange between glass-ionomer restorations and residual carious dentine in permanent molars: an in vivo study. J Dent. 2006;34:608–613. [PubMed] 11. Alves LS, Fontanella V, Damo AC, Ferreira de Oliveira E, Maltz M. Qualitative and quantitative radiographic assessment of sealed carious dentin: a 10-year prospective study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2010;109:135–141. [PubMed] 12. Peters MC, Bresciani E, Barata TJ, Fagundes TC, Navarro RL, Navarro MF, Dickens SH. In vivo dentin remineralization by calcium-phosphate cement. J Dent Res. 2010;89:286–291. [PubMed] 13. Mount GJ. Minimal treatment of the carious lesion. Int Dent J. 1991;41:55–59. [PubMed] 14. Dawson AS, Makinson OF. Dental treatment and dental health. Part 1. A review of studies in support of a philosophy of Minimum Intervention Dentistry. Aust Dent J. 1992;37:126–132. [PubMed] 15. Dawson AS, Makinson OF. Dental treatment and dental health. Part 2. An alternative philosophy and some new treatment modalities in operative dentistry. Aust Dent J. 1992b;37:205–210. [PubMed] 16. Horowitz AM. Introduction to the symposium on minimal intervention techniques for caries. J Public Health Dent. 1996;56:133–134. [PubMed] 17. Tyas MJ, Anusavice KJ, Frencken JE, Mount GJ. Minimal intervention dentistry--a review. FDI Commission Project 1–97. Int Dent J. 2000;50:1–12. [PubMed] 18. McIntyre J. Minimal intervention dentistry. Ann R Australas Coll Dent Surg. 1994;12:72–79. [PubMed] 19. Burke FJT. Minimal intervention isn't just small cavities! Dent Update. 2008;35:509. [PubMed] 20. Ricketts DN, Kidd EA, Smith BG, Wilson RF. Clinical and radiographic diagnosis of occlusal caries: a study in vitro. J Oral Rehabil. 1995;22:15–20. [PubMed] 21. Ricketts DN, Whaites EJ, Kidd EA, Brown JE, Wilson RF. An evaluation of the diagnostic yield from bitewing radiographs of small approximal and occlusal carious lesions in a low prevalence sample in vitro using different film types and speeds. Br Dent J. 1997;182:51–58. [PubMed] 22. Angnes V, Angnes G, Batisttella M, Grande RH, Loguercio AD, Reis A. Clinical effectiveness of laser fluorescence, visual inspection and radiography in the detection of occlusal caries. Caries Res. 2005;39:490–495. [PubMed] 23. Davies GM, Worthington HV, Clarkson JE, Thomas P, Davies RM. The use of fibre-optic transillumination in general dental practice. Br Dent J. 2001;191:145–147. [PubMed] 24. Hamilton JC, Gregory WA, Valentine JB. DIAGNOdent measurements and correlation with the depth and volume of minimally invasive cavity preparations. Oper Dent. 2006;31:291–296. [PubMed] 25. Neves AA, Coutinho E, De Munck J, Lambrechts P, Van Meerbeek B. Does DIAGNOdent provide a reliable caries-removal endpoint? J Dent. 2011;39:351–360. [PubMed] 26. Zandona AF, Zero DT. Diagnostic tools for early caries detection. J Am Dent Assoc. 2006;137:1675–1684. [PubMed] 27. Diniz MB, Boldieri T, Rodrigues JA, Santos-Pinto L, Lussi A, Cordeiro RC. The performance of conventional and fluorescence-based methods for occlusal caries detection: An in vivo study with histologic validation. J Am Dent Assoc. 2012;143:339–350. [PubMed] 28. Chawla N, Messer LB, Adams GG, Manton DJ. An in vitro comparison of detection methods for approximal carious lesions in primary molars. Caries Res. 2012 in print. [PubMed]
29. World Health Organization. Basic Methods, Second Edition. Geneva: WHO; 1977. Oral health surveys.
30. Pitts N. ICDAS - an international system for caries detection and assessment being developed to facilitate caries epidemiology, research and appropriate clinical management. Community Dent Health. 2004;21:193–198. [PubMed] 31. de Amorim RG, Figueiredo MJ, Leal SC, Mulder J, Frencken JE. Caries experience in a child population in a deprived area of Brazil, using ICDAS II. Clin Oral Investig. 2012;16:513–520. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 32. Cadavid AS, Lince CM, Jaramillo MC. Dental caries in the primary dentition of a Colombian population according to the ICDAS criteria. Braz Oral Res. 2010;24:211–216. [PubMed] 33. Agustsdottir H, Gudmundsdottir H, Eggertsson H, Jonsson SH, Gudlaugsson JO, Saemundsson SR, Eliasson ST, Arnadottir IB, Holbrook WP. Caries prevalence of permanent teeth: a national survey of children in Iceland using ICDAS. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2010;38:299–309. [PubMed] 34. Nyvad B, Machiulskiene V, Baelum V. Reliability of a new caries diagnostic system differentiating between active and inactive caries lesions. Caries Res. 1999;33:252–260. [PubMed] 35. Nyvad B, Machiulskiene V, Fejerskov O, Baelum V. Diagnosing dental caries in populations with different levels of dental fluorosis. Eur J Oral Sci. 2009;117:161–168. [PubMed] 36. Séllos MC, Soviero VM. Reliability of the Nyvad criteria for caries assessment in primary teeth. Eur J Oral Sci. 2011;119:225–231. [PubMed] 37. Monse B, Heinrich-Weltzien R, Benzian H, Holmgren C, van Palenstein Helderman W. PUFA - An index of clinical consequences of untreated dental caries. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2010;38:77–82. [PubMed] 38. Frencken JE, de Amorim RG, Faber J, Leal SC. The Caries Assessment Spectrum and Treatment (CAST) index: rational and development. Int Dent J. 2011;61:117–123. [PubMed] 39. Figueiredo MJ, de Amorim RG, Leal SC, Mulder J, Frencken JE. Prevalence and severity of clinical consequences of untreated dentine carious lesions in children from a deprived area of Brazil. Caries Res. 2011;45:435–442. [PubMed] 40. de Souza AL, van der Sanden WJM, Leal SC, Frencken JE. Caries Assessment Spectrum and Treatment (CAST) index: Face and content validation. 2012 Submitted. [PubMed] 41. Demers M, Brodeur JM, Simard PL, Mouton C, Veilleux G, Frechette S. Caries predictors suitable for mass-screenings in children: a literature review. Community Dent Health. 1990;7:11–21. [PubMed] 42. Powell LV. Caries prediction: a review of the literature. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1998;26:361–371. [PubMed] 43. Harris R, Nicoll AD, Adair PM, Pine CM. Risk factors for dental caries in young children: a systematic review of the literature. Community Dent Health. 2004;21:71–85. [PubMed] 44. Twetman S, Fontana M. Patient caries risk assessment. Monogr Oral Sci. 2009;21:91–101. [PubMed] 45. Bratthall D, Hansel Petersson G. Cariogram--a multifactorial risk assessment model for a multifactorial disease. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2005;33:256–264. [PubMed]
46. Bratthall D, Hänsel Petersson G, Stjernswärd JR. CARIOGRAM Manual. Malmö, Sweden: Malmö University; 2004. 2004-04-02 ed.
47. Fontana M, Zero DT. Assessing patients' caries risk. J Am Dent Assoc. 2006;137:1231–1239. [PubMed] 48. Batchelor PA, Sheiham A. The distribution of burden of dental caries in schoolchildren: a critique of the high-risk caries prevention strategy for populations. BMC Oral Health. 2006;6:3. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 49. Rose G. Sick individuals and sick populations. Int J Epidemiol. 1985;14:32–38. [PubMed] 50. Rose G. Sick individuals and sick populations. Int J Epidemiol. 2001;30:427–432. [PubMed] 51. Page J, Weld JA, Kidd EA. Caries control in health service practice. Br Dent J. 2010;208:449–450. [PubMed] 52. Hausen H, Seppa L, Poutanen R, Niinimaa A, Lahti S, Karkkainen S, et al. Noninvasive control of dental caries in children with active initial lesions. A randomized clinical trial. Caries Res. 2007;41:384–391. [PubMed] 53. Selwitz RH, Ismail AI, Pitts NB. Dental caries. Lancet. 2007;369:51–59. [PubMed] 54. Loesche WJ. Clinical and Microbiological Aspects of Chemotherapeutic Agents Used According to the Specific Plaque Hypothesis. J Dent Res. 1979;58:2404–2412. [PubMed] 55. Kidd EAM, Fejerskov O. What constitutes dental caries? Histopathology of carious enamel and dentin related to the action of cariogenic biofilms. J Dent Res. 2004;83(Spec Iss C):C35–C38. 2004. [PubMed] 56. Geddes DA, Jenkins GN. Intrinsic and extrinsic factors influencing the flora of the mouth. Soc Appl Bacteriol Symp Ser. 1974;3:85–100. [PubMed] 57. Geddes DA. Diet patterns and caries. Adv Dent Res. 1994;8:221–224. [PubMed] 58. van Houte J, Sansone C, Joshipura K, Kent R. Mutans streptococci and non mutans streptococci acidogenic at low pH, and in vitro acidogenic potential of dental plaque in two different areas of the human dentition. J Dent Res. 1991;70:1503–1507. [PubMed] 59. Takahashi N, Nyvad B. Caries ecology revisited: microbial dynamics and the caries process. Caries Res. 2008;42:409–418. [PubMed] 60. Modesto M, Biavati B, Mattarelli P. Occurrence of the family Bifidobacteriaceae in human dental caries and plaque. Caries Res. 2006;40:271–276. [PubMed] 61. Haukioja A, Söderling E, Tenovuo J. Acid production from sugars and sugar alcohols by probiotic Lactobacilli and Bifidobacteria in vitro. Caries Res. 2008;42:449–453. [PubMed] 62. Ruby J, Goldner M. Nature of symbiosis in oral disease. J Dent Res. 2007;86:8–11. [PubMed] 63. Kidd E. The implications of the new paradigm of dental caries. J Dent. 2011;39(Suppl 2):S3–S8. [PubMed] 64. Aoba T, Fejerskov O. Dental fluorosis: Chemistry and biology. Critical Reviews in Oral Biol Med. 2002;13:155–170. [PubMed] 65. Featherstone JDB. The continuum of dental caries--evidence for a dynamic disease process. J Dent Res. 2004;83(Spec No C):C39–C42. [PubMed] 66. Vale GC, Tabchoury CPM, Arthur RA, Del Bel Cury AA, Leme AFP, Cury JA. Temporal relationship between sucrose-associated changes in dental biofilm composition and enamel demineralization. Caries Res. 2007;41:406–412. [PubMed] 67. ten Cate JM. Current concepts on the theories of the mechanism of action of fluoride. Acta Odontol Scand. 1999;57:325–329. [PubMed] 68. Yamazaki H, Litman A, Margolis HC. Effect of fluoride on artificial caries lesion progression and repair in human enamel: Regulation of mineral deposition and dissolution under in vivo-like conditions. Arch Oral Biol. 2007;52:110–120. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
69. de Leeuw NH. Resisting the onset of hydroxyapatite dissolution through the incorporation of fluoride. J Physic Chem B. 2004;108:1809–1811.
70. Watson PS, Pontefract HA, Devine DA, Shore RC, Nattress BR, Kirkham J, et al. Penetration of fluoride into natural plaque biofilms. J Dent Res. 2005;84:451–455. [PubMed] 71. Featherstone JD. The caries balance: contributing factors and early detection. J Calif Dent Assoc. 2003;31:129–133. [PubMed] 72. Featherstone JD. Caries prevention and reversal based on the caries balance. Pediat Dent. 2006;28:128–132. [PubMed] 73. Reynolds EC. Calcium phosphate-based remineralization systems: scientific evidence? Austr Dent J. 2008;53:268–273. [PubMed] 74. Kato K, Nakagaki H, Arai K, Pearce EI. The influence of salivary variables on fluoride retention in dental plaque exposed to a mineral-enriching solution. Caries Res. 2002;36:58–63. [PubMed] 75. Reynolds EC. Casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate: The scientific evidence. Adv Dent Res. 2009;21:25–29. [PubMed] 76. Reynolds EC, del Rio A. Effect of casein and whey-protein solutions on caries experience and feeding patterns of the rat. Arch Oral Biol. 1984;29:927–933. [PubMed] 77. Cochrane NJ, Saranathan S, Cai F, Cross KJ, Reynolds EC. Enamel subsurface lesion remineralisation with casein phosphopeptide stabilised solutions of calcium, phosphate and fluoride. Caries Res. 2008;42:88–97. [PubMed] 78. Reynolds EC, Cai F, Cochrane NJ, Walker GD, Morgan MV, Reynolds C. Fluoride and casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate. J Dent Res. 2008;87:344–348. [PubMed] 79. Morgan MV, Adams GG, Bailey DL, Tsao CE, Fischman SL, Reynolds EC. The anticariogenic effect of sugar-free gum containing CPP-ACP nanocomplexes on approximal caries determined using digital bitewing radiography. Caries Res. 2008;42:171–184. [PubMed] 80. Bailey D, Adams G, Tsao C, Hyslop A, Escobar K, Manton D, et al. Regression of post-orthodontic lesions by a remineralizing crème. J Dent Res. 2009;88:1148–1153. [PubMed] 81. Reynolds EC, Cai F, Shen P, Walker GD. Retention in plaque and remineralization of enamel lesions by various forms of calcium in a mouthrinse or sugar-free chewing gum. J Dent Res. 2003;82:206–211. [PubMed] 82. Holt C, Wahlgren NM, Drakenburg T. Ability of a b-casein phosphopeptide to modulate the precipitation of calcium phosphate by forming amorphous dicalcium phosphate nanoclusters. Biochemic J. 1996;314:1035–1039. [PubMed] 83. Reynolds EC. Anticariogenic complexes of amorphous calcium phosphate stabilized by casein phosphopeptides: a review. J Spec Care Dent. 1998;18:8–16. [PubMed]
84. Peters MC. Strategies for non-invasive demineralized tissue repair. In: Young DA, Fontana M, Wolff MS, editors. Dent Clin N Amer. Vol. 54. 2010. pp. 507–525. Current concepts in cariology. Guest Eds:
85. Nyvad B, Fejerskov O. Active root surface caries converted into inactive caries as a response to oral hygiene. Scand J Dent Res. 1986;94:281–284. [PubMed] 86. Burt BA, Pai S. Sugar consumption and caries risk: A systematic review. J Den Educ. 2001;65:1017–1023. [PubMed] 87. van Loveren C, Duggal MS. The role of diet in caries prevention. Int Dent J. 2001;51:399–406. [PubMed] 88. Ly KA, Milgrom P, Rothen M. Xylitol, sweeteners and dental caries. Pediatr Dent. 2006;28:154–163. [PubMed] 89. Mickenaustch S, Leal SC, Yengopal V, Bezerra AC, Cruvinel V. Sugar free chewing gum and dental caries: a systematic review. J Appl Oral Sci. 2007;15:83–88. [PubMed] 90. Ly KA, Milgrom P, Rothen M. The potential of dental protective chewing gum in oral interventions. J Am Dent Assoc. 2008a;139:553–563. [PubMed] 91. Ly A, Riedy CA, Milgrom P, Rothen M, Roberts MC, Zhou L. Xylitol gummy bear snacks: a school-based randomized clinical trial. BMC Oral Health. 2008b;8:20. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 92. Antonio AG, Pierro VS, Maia LC. Caries preventive effects of xylitol-based candies and lozenges: a systematic review. J Public Health Dent. 2011;71:117–124. [PubMed] 93. Nadimi H, Wesamaa H, Janket SJ, Bollu P, Meurman JH. Are sugar-free confections really beneficial for dental health? Br Dent J. 2011;211:E15. [PubMed] 94. Kalsbeek H, Verrips GH. Consumption of sweet snacks and caries experience of primary school children. Caries Res. 1994;28:477–483. [PubMed]
96. National Health and Medical Council Research. Australia: Canberra; 2007. A Systematic review of the efficacy and safety of fluoridation. Part A: review of methodology and results.
97. Kumar J. Is water fluoridation still necessary? Adv Dent Res. 2008;20:8–12. [PubMed] 98. Armfield JM. Community effectiveness of public water fluoridation in reducing children's dental disease. Public Health Rep. 2010;125:655–664. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 99. McDonagh MS, Whitining PF, Wilson PM, Sutton AJ, Chestnutt I, Cooper J, Misso K, Bradley M, Treasure E, Kleijnen J. Systematic review on water fluoridation. Br Med J. 2000;321:855–859. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 100. Griffin SO, Regnier E, Griffin PM, Huntley V. Effectiveness of fluoride in preventing caries in adults. J Dent Res. 2007;86:410–415. [PubMed] 101. Yeung A, Hitchings JL, Macfarlane TV, Threfall A, Tickle M, Glenny AM. Fluoridated milk for preventing dental caries. Cochrane database for systematic review. Cochrane Library. (Issue 3) Art. No. CD 003876. [PubMed]
102. Ellwood R, Fejerskov O, Cury JA, Clarkson B. Fluorides in caries control. In: Fejerskov O, Kidd E, editors. Dental caries. The disease and its clinical management. Oxford: Blackwell Munksgaard Ltd; 2008. p. 308.
103. Yengopal V, Chikte UM, Mickenautsch S, Oliveira LB, Bhayat A. Salt fluoridation: a meta-analysis of its efficacy for caries prevention. South Afr Dent J. 2010;65:60–67. [PubMed] 104. Petersson GH, Bratthall D. The caries decline: a review of reviews. Eur J Oral Sci. 1996;104:436–443. [PubMed] 105. Carvalho JC, Nieuwenhuysen JP, D'Hoore W. The decline in dental caries among Belgian children between 1983 and 1998. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2001;29:55–61. [PubMed] 106. Walsh T, Worthington HV, Glenny AM, Appelbe P, Marinho VC, Shi X. Fluoride toothpaste of different concentrations for preventing dental caries in children and adolescents. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010;20 CD007868. [PubMed] 107. Wong MC, Clarkson J, Glenny AM, Lo EC, marinho VC, Tsang BW, Walsh T, Worthington HV. Cochrane reviews on the benefits/risks of fluoride toothpastes. J Dent Res. 2011;90:573–579. [PubMed] 108. Zhang Q, van Palenstein WH, van't Hof MA, Truin GJ. Chlorhexidine varnish for preventing dental caries in children, adolescents and young adults: a systematic review. Eur J Oral Sci. 2006;114:449–455. [PubMed] 109. Slot DE, Vaandrager NC, van Loveren C, van Palenstein Helderman WH, van der Weijden GA. The effect of chlorhexidine varnish on root caries: a systematic review. Caries Res. 2011;45:162–173. [PubMed] 110. James P, Parnell C, Whelton H. The caries-preventive effect of chlorhexidine varnish in children and adolescents: a systematic review. Caries Res. 2010;44:333–340. [PubMed] 111. Whelton H, O'Mullane D. The use of combinations of caries preventive procedures. J Dent Edu. 2001;65:1110–1113. [PubMed] 112. Du MQ, Tai BJ, Jiang H, Lo ECM, Fan MW, Bian Z. A two-year randomized clinical trial of chlorhexidine varnish on dental caries in Chinese preschool children. J Dent Res. 2006;85:557–559. [PubMed] 113. Amorim RG, Leal SC, Bezerra AC, Amorim FP, Toledo OA. Association of chlorhexidine and fluoride for plaque control and white spot lesion remineralization in primary dentition. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2008;18:446–451. [PubMed] 114. Knight GM, McIntyre JM, Craig GG, Mulyani, Zilm PS, Gully NJ. Differences between normal and demineralized dentine pretreated with silver fluoride and potassium iodide after an in vitro challenge by Streptococcus mutans. Aust Dent J. 2007;52:16–21. [PubMed] 115. Braga MM, Mendes FM, De Benedetto, Imparato JPC. Effect of silver diammine fluoride on incipient caries lesions in erupting permanent first molars: a pilot study. J Dent Child. 2009;76:28–33. [PubMed] 116. Tan HP, Lo EC, Dyson JE, Luo Y, Corbet EF. A randomized trial on root caries prevention in elders. J Dent Res. 2010;89:1086–1090. [PubMed] 117. Yengopal V, Mickenaustch S. Caries preventive effect of casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate (CPP-ACP): a meta-analysis. Acta odontol Scand. 2009;21:1–12. [PubMed] 118. Andersson A, Sköld-Larsson K, Hallgren A, Petersson LG, Twetman S. Effect of a dental cream containing amorphous calcium phosphate complexes on white spot lesion regression assessed by laser fluorescence. Oral Health Prev Dent. 2007;5:229–233. 2007. [PubMed] 119. Cai F, Shen P, Walker GD, Reynolds C, Yuan Y, Reynolds EC. Remineralizing of enamel subsurface lesions by chewing gum with added calcium. J Dent. 2009;37:763–768. [PubMed] 120. Rao SK, Bhat GS, Aradhya S, Devi A, Bhat M. Study of the efficacy of toothpaste containing casein phosphopeptide in the prevention of dental caries: a randomized controlled trial in 12- to 15-year-old high caries risk children in Bangalore, India. Caries Res. 2009;43:430–435. [PubMed] 121. Bröchner A, Christensen C, Kristensen B, Tranaeus S, Karlsson L, Sonnesen L, Twetman S. Treatment of post-orthodontic white spot lesions with casein phosphopeptide-stabilised amorphous calcium phosphate. Clin Oral Investig. 2011;15:369–373. [PubMed] 122. Beerens MW, van der Veen MH, van Beek H, ten Cate JM. Effects of casein phosphopeptide amorphous calcium fluoride phosphate paste on white spot lesions and dental palque after orthodontic treatment: a 3-month follow-up. Eur J Oral Sci. 2010;118:610–617. [PubMed] 123. Brazzelli M, McKenzie L, Fielding S, Fraser C, Clarckson J, Kilonzo M, Waugh N. Systematic review of the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of HealOzone for the treatment of occlusal pi/fissure caries and root caries. Health Technol Assess. 2006;10:16. [PubMed] 124. Rickard GD, Richardson RJ, Johnson TM, McColl DC, Hooper L. Ozone therapy for the treatment of dental caries. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2004;(Issue 3) Art. No.: CD004153. [PubMed] 125. Azarpazhooh A, Limeback H. The application of ozone in dentistry: a systematic review of the literature. J Dent. 2008;36:104–116. [PubMed] 126. Robinson C, Hallsworth AS, Weatherell JA, Künzel W. Arrest and control of carious lesions: A study based on preliminary experiments with resorcinol-formaldehyde resin. J Dent Res. 1976;55:812–818. [PubMed] 127. Paris S, Meyer-Lueckel H, Kielbassa AM. Resin infiltration of natural caries lesions. J Dent Res. 2007;86:662–666. [PubMed] 128. Meyer-Lueckel H, Paris S, Kielbassa AM. Surface layer erosin of natural caries lesions with phosphoric and hydrochloric gels in preparation for resin infiltration. Caries Res. 2007;41:223–230. [PubMed] 129. Paris S, Meyer-Lueckel H. Infiltrants inhibit progression of natural caries lesions in vitro. J Dent Res. 2010;89:1276–1280. [PubMed] 130. Paris S, Meyer-Lueckel H. Inhibition of caries progression by resin infiltration in situ. Caries Res. 2010a;44:47–54. [PubMed] 131. Ekstrand KR, Luna LE, Promisiero L, Cortes A, Cuevas S, Reyes JF, Torres CE, Martignon S. The reliability and accuracy of two methods for proximal caries detection and depth on directly visible proximal surfaces: an in vitro study. Caries Res. 2011;45:93–99. [PubMed] 132. Martignon S, Ekstrand KR, Gomez J, Lara JS, Cortes A. Infiltrating/sealing proximal caries lesions: a 3-year randomized clinical trial. J Dent Res. 2012;91:288–292. [PubMed] 133. Kielbassa AM, Muller J, Gernhardt CR. Closing the gap between oral hygiene and minimally invaisve dentistry: a review on the resin infiltration technique of incipient (proximal) enamel lesions. Quintessence Int. 2009;40:663–681. [PubMed] 134. Carvalho JC, Ekstrand KR, Thylstrup A. Dental plaque and caries on occlusal surfaces of first permanent molar in relation to stage of eruption. J Dent Res. 1989;68:773–779. [PubMed] 135. Powell LV. Caries prediction: a review of the literature. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1998;26:361–371. [PubMed] 136. Disney JA, Graves RC, Stamm JW, Bohannan HM, Abernathy JR, Zack DD. The University of North Carolina Caries Risk Assessment study: further developments in caries risk prediction. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1992;20:64–75. [PubMed] 137. Feigal RJ. The use of pits and fissure sealants. Pediatr Dent. 2002;24:415–422. [PubMed] 138. Griffin SO, Oong E, Kohn W, Vidakovic B, Gooch BF, Bader J, Clarkson J, Fontana MR, Meyer DM, Rozier RG, Weintraub JA, Zero DT. CDC Dental Sealant Systematic Review Work Group. The effectiveness of sealants in managing caries lesions. J Dent Res. 2008;87:169–174. [PubMed] 139. Hiiri A, Ahovuo-Saloranta A, Nordblad A, Mäkelä M. Pit and fissure sealants versus fluoride varnishes for preventing dental decay in children and adolescents. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010;17 CD003067. [PubMed] 140. Simonsen RJ. Pit and fissure sealants: review of the literature. Pediatr Dent. 2002;24:393–414. [PubMed] 141. Locker D, Jokovic A, Kay EJ. Prevention. Part 8: The use of pit and fissure sealants in preventing caries in the permanent dentition of children. Br Dent J. 2003;195:375–378. [PubMed] 142. Beiruti N, Frencken JE, van ‘t Hof MA, van Palenstein Helderman WH. Caries preventive effect of resin-based and glass ionomer sealants over time: A systematic review. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2006;34:403–409. [PubMed] 143. Yengopal V, Mickenautsch S, Bezerra AC, Leal SC. Caries-preventive effect of glass ionomer and resin-based fissure sealants on permanent teeth: a meta-analysis. J Oral Sci. 2009;51:373–382. [PubMed] 144. Mickenautsch S, Yengopal V. Caries-preventive effect of glass ionomer and resin-based fissure sealants on permanent teeth: an update of systematic review evidence. BMC Res Notes. 2011;4:22. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 145. Yengopal V, Mickenautsch S. Resin-modified glass-ionomer cements versus resin-based materials as fissure sealants: a meta-analysis of clinical trials. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent. 2010;11:18–25. [PubMed] 146. van ‘t Hof MA, Frencken JE, van Palenstein WH, Holmgren CJ. The ART approach for managing dental caries: A meta-analysis. Int Dent J. 2006;56:345–351. [PubMed] 147. de Amorim RG, Leal SC, Frencken JE. Survival of atraumatic restorative treatment (ART) sealants and restorations: a meta-analysis. Clin Oral Investig. 2012;16:429–441. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 148. Ahovuo-Saloranta A, Hiiri A, Nordblad A, Mäkelä M, Worthington HV. Pit and fissure sealants for preventing dental decay in the permanent teeth of children and adolescents. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008;4 CD001830. [PubMed] 149. Beiruti N, Frencken JE, van ‘t Hof MA, Taifour D, van Palenstein Helderman WH. Caries-preventive effect of a one-time application of composite resin and glass-ionomer sealants after 5 years. Caries Res. 2006;40:52–59. [PubMed] 150. Chen X, Du MQ, Fan M, Mulder J, Huysmans MCDNJM, Frencken JE. Caries preventive effect of sealants produced with altered glass-ionomer materials after 2 years. Dental Materials. 2012;28:554–560. [PubMed] 151. Mejàre I, Mjör IA. Glass ionomer and resin-based fissure sealants: a clinical study. Scand J Dent Res. 1990;98:345–350. [PubMed] 152. Övrebö RS, Raadal M. Microleakage in fissures sealed with resin or glass ionomer cement. Scand J Dent Res. 1990;98:66–69. [PubMed] 153. Williams B, Laxton L, Holt RD, Winter GB. Fissure sealants: a 4-year clinical trial comparing an experimental glass polyalkenoate cement with a bis glycidyl methacrylate resin used as fissure sealants. Br Dent J. 1996;180:104–108. [PubMed] 154. Frencken JE, Wolke J. Clinical and SEM assessment of ART high-viscosity glass-ionomer sealants after 8–13 years in 4 teeth. J Dent. 2010;38:59–64. [PubMed] 155. Bjørndal L, Larsen T, Thylstrup A. A clinical and microbiological study of deep carious lesions during stepwise excavation using long treatment intervals. Caries Res. 1997;31:411–417. [PubMed] 156. Mertz-Fairhurst EJ, Curtis JW, jr, Ergle JW, Rueggeberg FA, Adair SM. Ultraconservative and cariostatic sealed restorations: results at year 10. J Amer Dent Ass. 1998;129:55–66. [PubMed] 157. Ribeiro CC, Baratieri LN, Perdigão J, Baratieri NM, Ritter AV. A clinical, radiographic, and scanning electron microscopic evaluation of adhesive restorations on carious dentin in primary teeth. Quintessence Int. 1999;30:591–599. [PubMed] 158. Massara MLA, Alves JB, Brandao PR. Atraumatic restorative treatment: clinical, ultrastructural and chemical analysis. Caries Res. 2002;36:430–436. [PubMed] 159. Santiago BM, Ventin DA, Primo LG, Barcelos R. Microhardness of dentine underlying ART restorations in primary molars: an in vivo pilot study. Br Dent J. 2005;199:103–106. [PubMed]
160. Fusayama T. A simple pain-free adhesive restorative system by minimal reduction and total etching. Tokyo: Ishiyaku EuroAmerica Inc Tokyo; 1993. pp. 1–21.
161. Mertz-Fairhurst EJ, Schuster GS, Williams JE, Fairhurst CW. Clinical progress of sealed and unsealed caries. Part I: Depth changes and bacterial counts. J Prosthet Dent. 1979;42:521–526. [PubMed] 162. Handelman SL, Leverett DH, Espeland M, Curzon J. Retention of sealants over carious and sound tooth surfaces. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1987;15:1–5. [PubMed] 163. Weerheijm KL, Groen HJ. The residual caries dilemma. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1999;27:436–441. [PubMed] 164. Oong EM, Griffin SO, Kohn WG, Gooch BF, Caufield PW. The effect of dental sealants on bacteria levels in caries lesions: a review of the evidence. J Am Dent Assoc. 2008;139:271–278. [PubMed] 165. Boston DW, Graver HT. Histological study of an acid red caries-disclosing dye. Oper Dent. 1989;14:186–192. [PubMed] 166. Yip HK, Stevenson AG, Beeley JA. The specificity of caries detector dyes in cavity preparation. Br Dent J. 1994;176:417–421. [PubMed] 167. Banerjee A, Kidd EA, Watson TF. In vitro evaluation of five alternative methods of carious dentine excavation. Caries Res. 2000;34:144–150. [PubMed] 168. Celeberti P, Francescut P, Lussi A. Performance of four dentine excavation methods in deciduous teeth. Caries Res. 2006;40:117–123. [PubMed] 169. Neves Ade A, Coutinho E, De Munck J, Van Meerbeek B. Caries-removal effectiveness and minimal-invasiveness potential of caries-excavation techniques: a micro-CT investigation. J Dent. 2011;39:154–162. [PubMed] 170. Fluckiger L, Waltimo T, Stich H, Lussi A. Comparison of chemomechanical caries removal using Carisolv or conventional hand excavation in deciduous teeth in vitro. J Dent. 2005;33:87–90. [PubMed] 171. Magalhães CS, Moreira AN, Campos WR, Rossi FM, Castilho GA, Ferreira RC. Effectiveness and efficiency of chemomechanical carious dentin removal. Braz Dent J. 2006;17:63–67. [PubMed] 172. Nadanovsky P, Cohen Carneiro F, Souza de Mello F. Removal of caries using only hand instruments: a comparison of mechanical and chemo-mechanical methods. Caries Res. 2001;35:384–389. [PubMed]
173. de Amorim GG, Leal SC, Mulder J, Creugers NHJ, Frencken JE. Amalgam and ART restorations in children: a controlled clinical trial. 2012 submitted.
174. Eden E, Topaloglu-Ak A, Frencken JE, van ’t Hof MA. Survival of self-etch adhesive Class II composite restorations using ART and conventional cavity preparations in deciduous teeth. Am J Dent. 2006;19:359–363. [PubMed] 175. Ersin NK, Uzel A, Aykut A, Candan U, Eronat C. Inhibition of cultivable bacteria by chlorhexidine treatment of dentin lesions treated with the ART technique. Caries Res. 2006;40:172–177. [PubMed] 176. Farag A, van der Sanden WJ, Abdelwahab H, Mulder J, Frencken JE. 5-Year survival of ART restorations with and without cavity disinfection. J Dent. 2009;37:468–474. [PubMed] 177. Mickenautsch S, Yengopal V, Banerjee A. Atraumatic restorative treatment versus amalgam restoration longevity: a systematic review. Clin Oral Investig. 2010;14:233–240. [PubMed] 178. Hickel R, Kaaden C, Paschos E, Buerkle V, Garcia-Godoy F, Manhart J. Longevity of occlusally-stressed restorations in posterior primary teeth. Am J Dent. 2005;18:198–211. [PubMed] 179. Frencken JE, Pilot T, Songpaisan Y, Phantumvanit P. Atraumatic Restorative Treatment (ART): Rationale, technique and development. J Publ Health Dent. 1996;56:135–140. [PubMed] 180. Peters MC, McLean ME. Minimally invasive operative care. I. Minimal intervention and concepts for minimally invasive cavity preparations. J Adhes Dent. 2001;3:7–16. [PubMed] 181. Taifour D, Frencken JE, Beiruti N, van 't Hof MA, Truin GJ. Effectiveness of glass-ionomer (ART) and amalgam restorations in the deciduous dentition: results after 3 years. Caries Res. 2002;36:437–444. [PubMed] 182. Lenters M, van Amerongen WE, Mandari GJ. Iatrogenic damage to the adjacent surfaces of primary molars, in three different ways of cavity preparation. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent. 2006;7:6–10. [PubMed] 183. Leal SC, Abreu DM, Frencken JE. Dental anxiety and pain related to ART. J Appl Oral Sci. 2009;17:84–88. [PubMed] 184. Farag A, van der Sanden WJ, Abdelwahab H, Frencken JE. Survival of ART restorations assessed using selected FDI and modified ART restoration criteria. Clin Oral Investig. 2011;15:409–415. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 185. Zanata RL, Fagundes TC, Freitas MC, Lauris JR, Navarro MF. Ten-year survival of ART restorations in permanent posterior teeth. Clin Oral Investig. 2011;15:265–271. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 186. Innes NP, Evans DJ, Stirrups DR. The Hall Technique: a randomized controlled clinical trial of a novel method of managing carious primary molars in general dental practice: acceptability of the technique and outcomes at 23 months. BMC Oral Health. 2007;20:7–18. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 187. Innes NP, Evans DJ, Stirrups DR. Sealing caries in primary molars: randomized control trial, 5-year results. J Dent Res. 2011;90:1405–1410. [PubMed]
188. Baelum V, van Palenstein Helderman W, Hugoson A, Yee R, Fejerskov O. The role of dentistry in controlling caries and periodontitis globally. In: Fejerskov O, Kidd E, editors. Dental Caries. The disease and its clinical management. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Munksgaard; 2008.
189. de Amorim GG, Leal SC, Mulder J, Creugers NHJ, Frencken JE. Two year survival rates of primary molars treated according to three treatment protocols: a controlled clinical trial. 2012 submitted. [PubMed] 190. Levine RS, Pitts NB, Nutgent ZJl. The fate of 1,587 unrestored carious deciduous teeth: a retrospective general dental practice based study from northern England. Brit Dent J. 2002;193:99–103. [PubMed] 191. Chu CH, Lo EC, Lin HC. Effectiveness of silver diamine fluoride and sodium fluoride varnish in arresting dentin caries in Chinese pre-school children. J Dent Res. 2002;81:767–770. [PubMed] 192. Llodra JC, Rodriguez A, Ferrer B, Menardia V, Ramos T, Morato M. Efficacy of silver diamine fluoride for caries reduction in primary teeth and first permanent molars of schoolchildren: 36-month clinical trial. J Dent Res. 2005;84:721–724. [PubMed] 193. Yee R, Holmgren C, Mulder J, Lama D, Walker D, van Palenstein WH. Efficacy of silver diamine fluoride for Arresting Caries Treatment. J Dent Res. 2009;88:644–647. [PubMed] 194. Peumans M, Kanumilli P, De Munck J, Van Landuyt K, Lambrechts P, Van Meerbeek B. Clinical effectiveness of contemporary adhesives: a systematic review of current clinical trials. Dent Mater. 2005;21:864–881. [PubMed] 195. Manhart J, Chen H, Hamm G, Hickel R. Buonocore Memorial Lecture. Review of the clinical survival of direct and indirect restorations in posterior teeth of the permanent dentition. Oper Dent. 2004;29:481–508. [PubMed] 196. Kay E, Watts A, Paterson R, Blinkhorn A. Preliminary investigation into the validity of dentists’ decisions to restore occlusal surfaces of permanent teeth. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1988;16:91–94. [PubMed] 197. Noar SJ, Smith BGN. Diagnosis of caries and treatment decisions in approximal surfaces of posterior teeth in vitro. J Oral Rehabil. 1990;17:209–218. [PubMed] 198. Bader JD, Shugars DA. Agreement among dentists’ recommendations for restorative treatment. J Dent Res. 1993;72:891–896. [PubMed] 199. Elderton RJ, Nuttall NM. Variation among dentists in planning treatment. Br Dent J. 1983;154:201–206. [PubMed] 200. Davies JA. The relationship between change in dentist and treatment received in the general dental service. Br Dent J. 1984;157:322–324. [PubMed] 201. Bader JD, Shugars DA. Understanding dentists’ restorative treatment decisions. J Public Health Dent. 1992;52:102–110. [PubMed] 202. Gordan VV, Riley JL, III, Geraldeli S, Rindal DB, Qvist V, Fellows JL, Kellum HP, Gilbert GH. for The DPBRN Collaborative Group. Repair or replacement of defective restorations by dentists in The Dental PBRN. [accepted on 08 13 11];J Amer Dent Assoc. 2012 [PMC free article] [PubMed] 203. Mjör IA, Moorhead JE, Dahl JE. Reasons for replacement of restorations in permanent teeth in general dental practice. Int Dent J. 2000;50:360–366. [PubMed] 204. Mjör IA, Shen C, Eliasson ST, Richter S. Placement and replacement of restorations in general dental practice in Iceland. Oper Dent. 2002;27:117–123. [PubMed] 205. Pink FE, Minden NJ, Simmonds S. Decisions of practitioners regarding placement of amalgam and composite restorations in general practice settings. Oper Dent. 1994;19:127–132. [PubMed] 206. Deligeorgi V, Wilson NH, Fouzas D, Kouklaki E, Burke FJ, Mjor IA. Reasons for placement and replacement of restorations in student clinics in Manchester and Athens. Euro J Dent Educ. 2000;4:153–159. [PubMed] 207. Mjör IA, Toffenetti F. Secondary caries: a literature review with case reports. Quintessence Int. 2000;31:165–179. [PubMed] 208. Kidd EA. Microleakage: a review. J Dent. 1976;4:199–206. [PubMed]
209. Kidd EA. Caries diagnosis within restored teeth. In: Anusavice KJ, editor. Quality evaluation of dental restorations. Chicago: Quintessence; 1989. pp. 111–121.
210. Soderholm KJ, Antonson DE, Fishlschweiger W. Correlation between marginal discrepancies at the amalgam tooth interface and recurrent caries. In: Anusavice KJ, editor. Quality evaluation of dental restorations. Chicago: Quintessence; 1989. pp. 85–108.
211. Kidd EA, O’Hara JW. Caries status of occlusal amalgam restorations with marginal defects. J Dent Res. 1990;69:1275–1277. [PubMed] 212. Kidd EAM, Joyston-Bechal S, Beighton D. Marginal ditching and staining as a predictor of secondary caries around amalgam restorations: A clinical and microbiological study. J Dent Res. 1995;74:1206–1211. [PubMed] 213. Gordan VV. In vitro evaluation of margins of replaced resin based composite restorations. J Esthet Dent. 2000;12:217–223. [PubMed] 214. Gordan VV. Clinical evaluation of replacement of Class V resin based composite restorations. J Dent. 2001;29:485–488. [PubMed] 215. Gordan VV, Mondragon E, Shen C. Evaluation of the cavity design, cavity depth, and shade matching in the replacement of resin based composite restorations. Quintessence Int. 2002;32:273–278. [PubMed] 216. Bissada NF. Symptomatology and clinical features of hypersensitive teeth. Arch Oral Biol. 1994;39:31S–32S. [PubMed] 217. Hirata K, Nakashima M, Sekine I, Mukouyama Y, Kimura K. Dentinal fluid movement associated with loading of restorations. J Dent Res. 1991;70:975–978. [PubMed] 218. Gordan VV, Garvan CW, Blaser PK, Mondragon E, Mjor IA. A long-term evaluation of alternative treatments to replacement of resin-based composite restorations: results of a seven-year study. J Amer Dent Assoc. 2009;140:1476–1484a. [PubMed] 219. Gordan VV, Riley JL, III, Garvan CW, Mondragon E, Blaser PK, Mjor IA. 7-Year results of alternative treatments to defective amalgam restorations. J Amer Dent Assoc. 2011;142:842–849. [PubMed] 220. Moncada G, Martin J, Fernández E, Hempel MC, Mjör I, Gordan VV. Sealing, repair and refurbishment of class I and class II defective restorations: a three-year clinical trial. J Amer Dent Assoc. 2009;140:425–432. [PubMed] 221. Campain AC, Morgan MV, Evans RW, Ugoni A, Adams GG, Conn JA, Watson MJ. Sugar-starch combinations in food and the relationship to dental caries in low-risk adolescents. Eur J Oral Sci. 2003;111:316–325. [PubMed] 222. Mettes TG, van der Sanden WJ, Mokkink HG, Wensing M, Grol RP, Plasschaert AJ. Routine oral examinations in primary care: which predictors determine what is done? A prospective clinical case recording study. J Dent. 2008;36:435–443. [PubMed] 223. Tezvergil A, Lassila LV, Yli-Urpo A, Vallittu PK. Repair bond strength of restorative resin composite applied to fiber-reinforced composite substrate. Acta Odont Scand. 2004;62:51–60. [PubMed] 224. Gordan VV, Shen C, Mjor IA. Marginal gap repair with flowable resin-based composites. Gen Dent. 2004;52:390–394. [PubMed] 225. Shen C, Mondragon E, Mjör IA, Gordan VV. Effect of mechanical undercut on the strength of composite repair. J Amer Dent Assoc. 2004;135:1406–1412. [PubMed]
226. Blum IR, Lynch CD, Wilson NHF. New horizons in minimally invasive dentistry: contemporary teaching of repair versus replacement of defective direct composite restorations in UK and Irish dental schools. Eur J Dent Educ. 2012 (in-press)a.
227. Blum IR, Lynch CD, Wilson NHF. Minimally invasive management of defective composite restorations: Contemporary teaching of composite restoration repair in Scandinavian dental schools. J Oral Rehab. 2012 (in-press)b.
228. Blum IR, Lynch CD, Schreiver A, Heidemann D, Wilson NHF. Repair versus replacement of defective composite restorations in German dental schools. Eur J Prosth Rest Dent. 2011;19:56–61. [PubMed] 229. Gordan VV, Mjör IA, Blum I, Wilson NHF. Teaching students the repair of resin based composite restorations: A survey of North American dental schools. J Amer Dent Assoc. 2003;134:317–323. [PubMed] 230. Gordan VV, Garvan CW, Richman JS, Fellows JL, Rindal DB, Qvist V, heft MW, Williams OD, Gilbert GH. for The DPBRN collaborative group. How dentists diagnose and treat defective restorations: evidence from The Dental Practice-based Research Network. Oper Dent. 2009;34:664–673b. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 231. Dennison JB, Sarrett DC. Prediction and diagnosis of clinical outcomes affecting restoration margins. J Oral Rehabil. 2012;39:301–318. [PubMed]