1. Devita VT, Hellman S, Resenberg SA. Cancer: Priciple and Practice of Oncology. New York, NY, USA: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2001.
2. Wang D, Lippard SJ. Cellular processing of platinum anticancer drugs. Nature Reviews Drug Discovery. 2005;4(4):307–320. [PubMed] 3. Kelland L. The resurgence of platinum-based cancer chemotherapy. Nature Reviews Cancer. 2007;7(8):573–584. [PubMed] 4. Wong E, Giandornenico CM. Current status of platinum-based antitumor drugs. Chemical Reviews. 1999;99(9):2451–2466. [PubMed] 5. Zheng Y, Hunting DJ, Ayotte P, Sanche L. Role of secondary low-energy electrons in the concomitant chemoradiation therapy of cancer. Physical Review Letters. 2008;100(19):198101–198104. [PubMed]
6. Sanche L. Role of secondary low energy electrons in radiobiology and chemoradiation therapy of cancer. Chemical Physics Letters. 2009;474(1–3):1–6.
7. Fichtinger-Schepman AJ, van Oosterom AT, Lohman PM, Berends F. cis-Diamminedichloroplatinum(II)-induced DNA adducts in peripheral leukocytes from seven cancer patients: quantitative immunochemical detection of the adduct induction and removal after a single dose of cis-diamminedichloroplatinum(II) Cancer Research. 1987;47(11):3000–3004. [PubMed] 8. Hartinger CG, Schuluga P, Galanski M, Timerbaev AR, Keppler BK. Tumor-inhibiting platinum(II) complexes with aminoalcohol ligands: comparison of the mode of action by capillary electrophoresis and electrospray ionization-mass spectrometry. Electrophoresis. 2003;24(12-13):2038–2044. [PubMed] 9. Hartinger CG, Keppler BK. CE in anticancer metallodrug research-an update. Electrophoresis. 2007;28(19):3436–3446. [PubMed] 10. Zenker A, Galanski M, Bereuter TL, Keppler BK, Lindner W. Capillary electrophoretic study of cisplatin interaction with nucleoside monophosphates, di- and trinucleotides. Journal of Chromatography A. 1999;852(1):337–346. [PubMed] 11. Hartinger CG, Timerbaev AR, Keppler BK. Capillary electrophoresis in anti-cancer metallodrug research: advances and future challenges. Electrophoresis. 2003;24(12-13):2023–2037. [PubMed] 12. Reeder F, Guo Z, Murdoch PDS, et al. Platination of a GG site on single-stranded and double-stranded forms of a 14-base oligonucleotide with diaqua cisplatin followed by NMR and HPLC. Influence of the platinum ligands and base sequence on 5'-G versus 3'-G platination selectivity. European Journal of Biochemistry. 1997;249(2):370–382. [PubMed] 13. Volckova E, Dudones LP, Bose RN. HPLC determination of binding of cisplatin to DNA in the presence of biological thiols: implications of dominant platinum-thiol binding to its anticancer action. Pharmaceutical Research. 2002;19(2):124–131. [PubMed] 14. Sherman SE, Gibson D, Wang AHJ, Lippard SJ. X-ray structure of the major adduct of the anticancer drug cisplatin with DNA: Cis-[Pt(NH3)2(d(pGpG))] Science. 1985;230(4724):412–417. [PubMed]
15. Sherman SE, Gibson D, Wang AHJ, Lippard SJ. Crystal and molecular structure of cis-[Pt(NH3)2[d(pGpG)]], the principal adduct formed by cis-diamminedichloroplatinum(II) with DNA. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 1988;110(22):7368–7381.
16. Takahara PM, Rosenzweig AC, Frederick CA, Lippard SJ. Crystal structure of double-stranded DNA containing the major adduct of the anticancer drug cisplatin. Nature. 1995;377(6550):649–652. [PubMed]
17. Takahara PM, Frederick CA, Lippard SJ. Crystal structure of the anticancer drug cisplatin bound to duplex DNA. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 1996;118(49):12309–12321.
18. Komeda S, Moulaei T, Woods KK, Chikuma M, Farrell NP, Williams LD. A third mode of DNA binding: phosphate clamps by a polynuclear platinum complex. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 2006;128(50):16092–16103. [PubMed] 19. Van Garderen CJ, Van Houte LPA. The solution structure of a DNA duplex containing the cis-Pt(NH3)2[d(-GTG-)-N7(G), N7(G)] adduct, as determined with high-field NMR and molecular mechanics/dynamics. European Journal of Biochemistry. 1994;225(3):1169–1179. [PubMed] 20. Huang H, Zhu L, Reid BR, Drobny GP, Hopkins PB. Solution structure of a cisplatin-induced DNA interstrand cross-link. Science. 1995;270(5243):1842–1845. [PubMed]
21. Ano SO, Intini FP, Natile G, Marzilli LG. A novel head-to-head conformer of d(GpG) cross-linked by Pt: new light on the conformation of such cross-links formed by Pt anticancer drugs. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 1998;120(46):12017–12022.
22. Bouvet D, Michalowicz A, Crauste-Manciet S, Brossard D, Provost K. EXAFS and IR structural study of platinum-based anticancer drugs' degradation by diethyl dithiocarbamate. Inorganic Chemistry. 2006;45(8):3393–3398. [PubMed] 23. Beck JL, Colgrave ML, Ralph SF, Sheil MM. Electrospray ionization mass spectrometry of oligonucleotide complexes with drugs, metals, and proteins. Mass Spectrometry Reviews. 2001;20(2):61–87. [PubMed] 24. Dorcier A, Hartinger CG, Scopelliti R, Fish RH, Keppler BK, Dyson PJ. Studies on the reactivity of organometallic Ru-, Rh- and Os-pta complexes with DNA model compounds. Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry. 2008;102(5-6):1066–1076. [PubMed] 25. Hartinger CG, Tsybin YO, Fuchser J, Dyson PJ. Characterization of platinum anticancer drug protein-binding sites using a top-down mass spectrometric approach. Inorganic Chemistry. 2008;47(1):17–19. [PubMed] 26. Allardyce CS, Dyson PJ, Coffey J, Johnson N. Determination of drug binding sites to proteins by electrospray ionisation mass spectrometry: the interaction of cisplatin with transferrin. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry. 2002;16(10):933–935. [PubMed]
27. Hartinger CG, Ang WH, Casini A, Messori L, Keppler BK, Dyson PJ. Mass spectrometric analysis of ubiquitin-platinum interactions of leading anticancer drugs: MALDI versus ESI. Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry. 2007;22(8):960–967.
28. Groessl M, Hartinger CG, Polec-Pawlak K, Jarosz M, Keppler BK. Capillary electrophoresis hyphenated to inductively coupled plasma-mass spectrometry: a novel approach for the analysis of anticancer metallodrugs in human serum and plasma. Electrophoresis. 2008;29(10):2224–2232. [PubMed]
29. Da Col R, Silvestro L, Baiocchi C, Giacosa D, Viano I. High-performance liquid chromatographic-mass spectrometric analysis of cis-dichlorodiamineplatinum-DNA complexes using an ionspray interface. Journal of Chromatography. 1993;633(1-2):119–128.
30. Warnke U, Rappel C, Meier H, et al. Analysis of platinum adducts with DNA nucleotides and nucleosides by capillary electrophoresis coupled to ESI-MS: indications of guanosine 5′-monophosphate O6-N7 chelation. ChemBioChem. 2004;5(11):1543–1549. [PubMed] 31. Will J, Kyas A, Sheldrick WS, Wolters D. Identification of (η6-arene)ruthenium(II) protein binding sites in E. coli cells by combined multidimensional liquid chromatography and ESI tandem mass spectrometry: specific binding of [(η6-p-cymene) RuCl2(DMSO)] to stress-regulated proteins and to helicases. Journal of Biological Inorganic Chemistry. 2007;12(6):883–894. [PubMed] 32. Hah SS, Stivers KM, de Vere White RW, Henderson PT. Kinetics of carboplatin-DNA binding in genomic DNA and bladder cancer cells as determined by accelerator mass spectrometry. Chemical Research in Toxicology. 2006;19(5):622–626. [PubMed] 33. Lu QB. Molecular reaction mechanisms of combination treatments of low-dose cisplatin with radiotherapy and photodynamic therapy. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2007;50(11):2601–2604. [PubMed] 34. Millard MM, Macquet JP, Theophanides T. X ray photoelectron spectroscopy of DNA. Pt complexes. Evidence of O6 (Gua). N7 (Gua) chelation of DNA with cis dichlorodiamine platinum (II) Biochimica et Biophysica Acta. 1975;402(2):166–170. [PubMed] 35. Crul M, Schellens JHM, Beijnen JH, Maliepaard M. Cisplatin resistance and DNA repair. Cancer Treatment Reviews. 1997;23(5-6):341–366. [PubMed] 36. Malina J, Vrana O, Brabec V. Mechanistic studies of the modulation of cleavage activity of topoisomerase I by DNA adducts of mono- and bi-functional PtII complexes. Nucleic Acids Research. 2009;37(16):5432–5442. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 37. Onoa GB, Moreno V. Study of the modifications caused by cisplatin, transplatin, and Pd(II) and Pt(II) mepirizole derivatives on pBR322 DNA by atomic force microscopy. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2002;245(1-2):55–65. [PubMed]
38. Wagner CD, Riggs WM, Davis LE, Moulder JF, Muilenberg GE. Handbook of X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy. Eden Prairie, Minn, USA: Perkin-Elmer; 1979.
39. Olson ES, Crocker CR, Benson SA, Pavlish JH, Holmes MJ. Surface compositions of carbon sorbents exposed to simulated low-rank coal flue gases. Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association. 2005;55(6):747–754. [PubMed]
40. Balakrishnan T, Murugan E. Preparation and spectroscopic characterization of surface-enriched (with active sites) polymer-supported phase-transfer catalysts and their efficiency in organic addition reactions: a kinetic study. Journal of Polymer Science A. 2003;41(2):347–364.
41. Davies MS, Berners-Price SJ, Hambley TW. Slowing of cisplatin aquation in the presence of DNA but not in the presence of phosphate: improved understanding of sequence selectivity and the roles of monoaquated and diaquated species in the binding of cisplatin to DNA. Inorganic Chemistry. 2000;39(25):5603–5613. [PubMed]
42. Yu WH, Kang ET, Neoh KG. Functionalization of hydrogen-terminated Si(100) substrate by surface-initiated RAFT polymerization of 4-vinylbenzyl chloride and subsequent derivatization for photoinduced metallization. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research. 2004;43(17):5194–5202.
43. Moulder JF, Stickle WF, Sobol PE, Bomben KD, Chastian J. X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy. Eden Prairie, Minn, USA: Perkin-Elmer; 1992.
44. Beamson G, Briggs D. High-Resolution XPS of Organic Polymers: The Scienta ESCA300 Database. Chichester, UK: John Wiley; 1992.
45. Neoh KG, Kang ET. Structural study of polyaniiine films in reprotonatlon/deprotonation cycles. The Journal of Physical Chemistry. 1991;95(24):10151–10157.
46. Tan KL, Tan BTG, Kang ET, Neoh KG. X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy studies of the chemical structure of polyaniline. Physical Review B. 1989;39(11):8070–8073. [PubMed]
47. Yuan SJ, Xu FJ, Kang ET, Pehkonen SO. Modification of surface-oxidized copper alloy by coupling of viologens for inhibiting microbiologically influenced corrosion. Journal of the Electrochemical Society. 2007;154(11):C645–C657.
48. Neoh KG, Kang ET, Tan KL. Limitations of the X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy technique in the study of electroactive polymers. Journal of Physical Chemistry B. 1997;101(5):726–731.
49. Chamoulaud G, Bélanger D. Chemical modification of the surface of a sulfonated membrane by formation of a sulfonamide bond. Langmuir. 2004;20(12):4989–4995. [PubMed]
50. Tan S, Forgue AL, Belanger D. Characterization of a cation-exchange/polyailine composite membrane. Langmuir. 2003;19(3):744–751.
51. Liu X, Neoh KG, Kang ET. Redox-sensitive microporous membranes prepared from poly(vinylidene fluoride) grafted with viologen-containing polymer side chains. Macromolecules. 2003;36(22):8361–8367.
52. Brouwers EEM, Tibben M, Rosing H, Schellen JHM, Beijnen JH. The application of inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry in clinical pharmacological oncology research. Mass Spectrometry Reviews. 2008;27(2):67–100. [PubMed] 53. Lee CY, Gong P, Harbers GM, Grainger DW, Castner DG, Gamble LJ. Surface coverage and structure of mixed DNA/Alkylthiol monolayers on gold: characterization by XPS, NEXAFS, and fluorescence intensity measurements. Analytical Chemistry. 2006;78(10):3316–3325. [PubMed] 54. Ptasińska S, Stypczyńska A, Nixon T, Mason NJ, Klyachko DV, Sanche L. X-ray induced damage in DNA monitored by X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy. Journal of Chemical Physics. 2008;129(6):129–134. [PubMed] 55. Dinsmore MJ, Lee JS. Characteristic differences in the X-ray photoelectron spectrum between B-DNA and M-DNA monolayers on gold. Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry. 2008;102(8):1599–1606. [PubMed] 56. Vilar MR, do Rego AMB, Ferraria AM, et al. Interaction of self-assembled monolayers of DNA with electrons: HREELS and XPS studies. Journal of Physical Chemistry B. 2008;112(23):6957–6964. [PubMed] 57. Sharma VM, Wilson WR. Radiosensitization of advanced squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck with cisplatin during concomitant radiation therapy. European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology. 1999;256(9):462–465. [PubMed] 58. Fichtinger-Schepman AJ, Van Oosterom AT, Lohman PHM, Berends F. Cis-Diamminedichloroplatinum(II)-induced DNA adducts in peripheral leukocytes from seven cancer patients: quantitative immunochemical detection of the adduct induction and removal after a single dose of cis-diamminedichloroplatinum(II) Cancer Research. 1987;47(11):3000–3004. [PubMed] 59. Macquet JP, Theophanides T. DNA platinum interactions in vitro with trans and cis Pt(NH3)2Cl2. Bioinorganic Chemistry. 1975;5(1):59–66. [PubMed] 60. Paraskar A, Soni S, Basu S, et al. Rationally engineered polymeric cisplatin nanoparticles for improved antitumor efficacy. Nanotechnology. 2011;22(26)265101 [PMC free article] [PubMed]