1. Foley JA, Ramankutty N, Brauman KA, Cassidy ES, Gerber JS, et al. (2011) Solutions for a cultivated planet. Nature 478: 337–342. [PubMed]
2. Robertson GP, Swinton SM (2005) Reconciling agricultural productivity and environmental integrity: a grand challenge for agriculture. Front Ecol Environ 3: 38–46.
3. Dubrovsky NM, Burow KR, Clark GM, Gronber JM, Hamilton PA, et al. . (2010) The quality of our nation’s waters: Nutrients in the nation’s streams and groundwater, 1992–2004. Circular 1350. Reston, VA: U.S. Geological Survey. http://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/1350/ Accessed 2012 Jul 10. 4. Gilliom RJ, Barbash JE, Crawford CG, Hamilton PA, Martin JD, et al. . (2006) The quality of our nation's waters: pesticides in the nation's streams and ground water, 1992–2001. Circular 1291. Reston, VA: U.S. Geological Survey. http://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/2005/1291/ Accessed 2012 Jul 10.
5. Relyea RA (2005) The impact of insecticides and herbicides on the biodiversity and productivity of aquatic communities. Ecol Appl 15: 618–627.
6. Rohr JR, McCoy KA (2010) A qualitative meta-analysis reveals consistent effects of atrazine on freshwater fish and amphibians. Environ Health Persp 118: 20–32. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 7. Tilman D, Cassman KG, Matson PA, Naylor R, Polasky S (2002) Agricultural sustainability and intensive production practices. Nature 418: 671–677. [PubMed]
8. Liebman M, Staver CP (2001) Crop diversification for weed management. In: Liebman M, Mohler CL, Staver CP, editors. Ecological management of agricultural weeds. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 322–374.
9. Bennett AJ, Bending GD, Chandler D, Hilton S, Mills P (2012) Meeting the demand for crop production: the challenge of yield decline in crops grown in short rotations. Biol Rev 87: 52–71. [PubMed]
10. Karlen DL, Varvel GE, Bullock DG, Cruse RM (1994) Crop rotations for the 21st century. Adv Agron 53: 1–45.
11. Grigg DB (1974) The agricultural systems of the world: An evolutionary approach. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 358 pp.
12. Grigg DB (1989) English agriculture: An historical perspective. Oxford: Basil Blackwell. 320 pp.
13. Magdoff F, Lanyon L, Liebhardt B (1997) Nutrient cycling, transformations, and flows: implications for a more sustainable agriculture. Adv Agron 60: 1–73.
14. Naylor R, Steinfeid H, Falcon W, Galloways J, Smil V, et al. (2005) Losing the links between livestock and land. Science 310: 1621–1622. [PubMed]
17. Mortensen DA, Egan JF, Maxwell BD, Ryan MR, Smith RG (2012) Navigating a critical juncture for sustainable weed management. BioSci 62: 75–84.
18. Jordan N, Warner KD (2010) Enhancing the multifunctionality of US agriculture. BioSci 60: 60–66.
19. Seufert V, Ramankutty N, Foley JA (2012) Comparing the yields of organic and conventional agriculture. Nature 485: 229–232. [PubMed]
20. Liebman M, Davis AS (2009) Managing weeds in organic farming systems: an ecological approach. In: Organic farming: The ecological system. Francis C, editor. Madison: American Society of Agronomy. 173–196.
21. Hayes TB, Collins A, Lee M, Mendoza M, Noriega N, et al. (2002) Hermaphroditic, demasculinized frogs after exposure to the herbicide atrazine at low, ecologically relevant doses. Proc Nat Acad Sci USA 99: 54376–55480. [PubMed] 22. Orton F, Lutz I, Kloas W, Rutledge EJ (2009) Endocrine disrupting effects of herbicides and pentachlorophenol: in vitro and in vivo evidence. Environ Sci Technol 43: 2144–2150. [PubMed]
23. Relyea RA (2005) The lethal impact of Roundup on aquatic and terrestrial amphibians. Ecol Appl 15: 1118–1124.
24. Egan JF, Mortensen DA (2012) Quantifying vapor drift of dicamba herbicides applied to soybean. Envir Toxicol Chem 31: 1023–1031. [PubMed]
25. Freemark K, Boutin C (1995) Impacts of agricultural herbicide use on terrestrial wildlife in temperate landscapes - a review with special reference to North America. Agric Ecosyst Environ 52: 67–91.
26. Powles SB, Yu Q (2010) Evolution in action: plants resistant to herbicides. Ann Rev Plant Biol 61: 317–347. [PubMed] 27. Tranel PJ, Riggins CW, Bell MS, Hager AG (2011) Herbicide resistances in Amaranthus tuberculatus: A call for new options. J Agric Food Chem 59: 5808–5812. [PubMed] 28. Chase JM, Leibold MA (2002) Spatial scale dictates the productivity-biodiversity relationship. Nature 416: 427–430. [PubMed] 29. Tilman D, Reich PB, Knops J, Wedin D, Mielke T, et al. (2001) Diversity and productivity in a long-term grassland experiment. Science 294: 843–845. [PubMed] 30. Tilman D, Hill J, Lehman C (2006) Carbon-negative biofuels from low-input high-diversity grassland biomass. Science 314: 1598–1600. [PubMed]
31. Smith RG, Gross KL, Robertson GP (2008) Effects of crop diversity on agroecosystem function: Crop yield response. Ecosyst 11: 355–366.
32. Smith RG, Mortensen DA, Ryan MR (2010) A new hypothesis for the functional role of diversity in mediating resource pools and weed-crop competition in agroecosystems. Weed Res 50: 185–185.
33. Jackson LL, Keeney DR, Gilbert EM (2000) Swine manure management plans in north-central Iowa: Nutrient loading and policy implications. J Soil Water Cons 55: 205–212.
34. Olmstead J (2011) Feeding the world? Twelve years later, U.S. grain exports are up, so too is hunger. Minneapolis, MN: Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy. http://www.iatp org/documents/feeding-the-world. Accessed 2012 Jul 10.
35. Heichel GH, Barnes DK, Vance CP, Henjum KI (1984) N2 fixation, and N and dry matter partitioning during a 4-year alfalfa stand. Crop Sci 24: 811–815.
36. Heichel GH, Vance CP, Barnes DK, Henjum KI (1985) Dinitrogen fixation, and N and dry matter distribution during 4-year stands of birdsfoot trefoil and red clover. Crop Sci 25: 101–105.
37. Fox RH, Piekielek WP (1988) Fertilizer N equivalence of alfalfa, birdsfoot trefoil, and red clover for succeeding corn crops. J Prod Agric 1: 313–317.
39. Liebman M, Gibson LR, Sundberg DN, Heggenstaller AH, Westerman PR, et al. (2008) Agronomic and economic performance characteristics of conventional and low-external-input cropping systems in the central corn belt. Agron. J. 100: 600–610.
40. Berthoud A, Maupu P, Huet C, Poupart A (2011) Assessing freshwater ecotoxicity of agricultural products in life cycle assessment (LCA): a case study of wheat using French agricultural practices databases and USEtox model. Int J Life Cycle Assess 16: 841–847.
41. Hauschild MZ, Huijbregts M, Jolliet O, MacLeod M, Margni M, et al. (2008) Building a model based on scientific consensus for life cycle impact assessment of chemicals: The search for harmony and parsimony. Environ Sci Technol 42: 7032–7037. [PubMed]
42. Rosenbaum RK, Bachmann TM, Gold LS, Huijbregts MAJ, Jolliet O, et al. (2008) USEtox-the UNEP-SETAC toxicity model: recommended characterisation factors for human toxicity and freshwater ecotoxicity in life cycle impact assessment. Int J Life Cycle Assess 13: 532–546.
43. Cornell PMEP (2008) Pesticide management education program. http://pmep.cce cornell.edu/. Accessed 2012 Jul 10.
44. Crawley MJ (2007) The R Book. West Sussex: John Wiley and Sons. 942 pp.
45. R Development Core Team (2009) R: A language and environment for statistical computing (R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria).