1. Black SA. Diabetes, diversity, and disparity: what do we do with the evidence? Am J Public Health. 2002;92:543–548. [PubMed]
2. New York University Center for Health and Public Service Research analysis of New York State Department of Health Statewide Planning and Research Cooperative System (SPARCS) database. 1998. Available at: http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/sparcs/ sparcs.htm.
3. Summary of Vital Statistics 1999. The City of New York: Bureau of Vital Statistics, New York City Department of Health; 2000.
4. Gwiasda V, Taluc N, Popkin SJ. Data collection in dangerous neighborhoods: lessons from a survey of public housing residents in Chicago. Eval Rev. 1997;21:77–93.
5. Michigan Diabetes Research and Training Center, The University of Michigan. Diabetes care profile. 1998. Available at: http://www.med.umich.edu/mdrtc/textonly/educmats/ dcp.doc.Accessed August 22, 2001.
6. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. A survey about your diabetes care. October 2001. Available at: http://www.meps.ahrq.gov/DiabetesCare/DiabetesCare.htm. Accessed August 22, 2001.
7. Schulz AJ, Parker EA, Israel BA, Becker AB, Maciak BJ, Hollis R. Conducting a participatory community-based survey. J Public Health Manag Pract. 1998;4:10–24. [PubMed] 8. Cunningham PJ, Kemper P. Ability to obtain medical care for the uninsured: how much does it vary across communities? JAMA. 1998;280:921–927. doi: 10.1001/jama.280.10.921. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 9. Israel BA, Schulz AJ, Parker EA, Becker AB. Review of community-based research: assessing partnership approaches to improve public health. Annu Rev Public Health. 1998;19:173–202. doi: 10.1146/annurev.publhealth.19.1.173. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 10. Israel BA, Schulz AJ, Parker EA, Becker AB. Review of community-based research: assessing partnership approaches to improve public health. Annu Rev Public Health. 1998;19:173–202. doi: 10.1146/annurev.publhealth.19.1.173. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
11. Sullivan M, Kelly JG, editors. Collaborative Research: Community-University Partnership. Washington, DC: American Public Health Association; 2001.
12. Nyden P, Figert A, Shibley M, Burrows D. Building Community: Social Science in Action. Thousand Oaks, CA: Pine Forge Press; 1997.
13. Minkler M, Thompson M, Bell J, Rose K. Contributions of community involvement to organizational-level empowerment: the federal healthy start experience. Health Educ Behav. 2001;28:783–807. [PubMed] 14. Giachello AL, Arrom JO, Davis M, et al. Reducing diabetes health disparities through community-based participatory action research: the Chicago Southeast Diabetes Community Action Coalition. Public Health Rep. 2003;118:309–324. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 15. Altman DG. Sustaining interventions in community systems: on the relationship between researchers and communities. Health Psychol. 1995;14:526–536. doi: 10.1037/0278-6126.96.36.1996. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 16. Eng E, Parker EA. Measuring community competence in the Mississippi Delta: the interface between program evaluation and empowerment. Health Educ Q. 1994;21:199–220. [PubMed] 17. Florin P, Wandersman A. An introduction to citizen participation, voluntary organizations, and community development: insights for empowerment through research. A, J Community Psychol. 1990;18:41–55. doi: 10.1007/BF00922688. [Cross Ref]
18. Bailey D. Using participatory research in community consortia development and evaluation: lessons from the beginning of a story. Am Sociol. 1992;6:197–205.
19. Ornelas A. Regional community development in northern Morelos. In: Frideres J, editor. A World of Communities: Participatory Research Perspectives. Concord, Ontario, Canada: Captus University Publications; 1992.
20. Ledogar RJ, Garden Acosta L, Penchaszadeh A. Building international public health vision through local community research: the El Puente-CIET partnership. Am J Public Health. 1999;90:1795–1797. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.89.12.1795. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
21. Census 2000 Summary File 1 (SF1) 100=Percent Data. Prepared by the U.S. Census Bureau, 2001. Available at: http://factfinder.census.gov.
22. Holahan D, Cordova M, Haslanger K, Birnbaum M. Health Insurance Coverage in New York 2000. New York: United Hospital Fund; 2002.
23. Israel BA, Schulz AJ, Parker EA, Becker AB. Review of community-based research: assessing partnership approaches to improve public health. Annu Rev Public Health. 1998;19:173–202. doi: 10.1146/annurev.publhealth.19.1.173. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 24. O’Toole TP, Aaron KF, Chin MH, Horowitz C, Tyson F. Community-based participatory research: opportunities, challenges, and the need for a common language. J Gen Intern Med. 2002;18:592–594. doi: 10.1046/j.1525-1497.2003.30416.x. [PMC free article] [Cross Ref] 25. Green L, Daniel M, Novick L. Partnerships and coalitions for community-based research. Public Health Rep. 2001;116:20–31. doi: 10.1093/phr/116.S1.20. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 26. Minkler M, Blackwell AG, Thompson M, Tamir H. Community-based participatory research: implications for public health funding. Am J Public Health. 2003;93:1210–1213. [PubMed]