1. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association; 2000.
2. Markou A, Kenny PJ. Neuroadaptations to chronic exposure to drugs of abuse: relevance to depressive symptomatology seen across psychiatric diagnostic categories. Neurotoxicol Res. 2002;4:297–313. doi: 10.1080/10298420290023963. [Cross Ref] 3. Rawson RA, Gonzales R, Brethen P. Treatment of methamphetamine use disorders: an update. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2002;23:145–150. doi: 10.1016/S0740-5472(02)00256-8. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
4. Kalechstein AD, Newton TF, Longshore D, Anglin MD, Gorp WG, Gawin FH. Psychiatric comorbidity of methamphetamine dependence in a forensic sample. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci Fall. 2000;12:480–484.
5. Huber A, Shoptaw S, Roll JM, Rawson RA, Ling W. Randomized trial of sertraline and contingency management for methamphetamine dependence. Paper presented at: American Psychological Association. Annual Convention; August 22–25, 2002; Chicago, IL.
6. Golloway GP, Newmeyer J, Knapp T, Stalcup SA, Smith D. A controlled trial of imipramine for the treatment of methamphetamine dependence. J Subst Abuse Treat. 1996;13:493–497. doi: 10.1016/S0740-5472(96)00154-7. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 7. Rawson RA, Huber A, Brethen P, et al. Status of methamphetamine users 2–5 years after outpatient treatment. J Addict Dis. 2002;21:107–119. doi: 10.1300/J069v21n01_09. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 8. Stall R, Paul JP, Greenwood G, et al. Alconol use, drug use and alcohol-related problems among men who have sex with men: the Urban Men’s Health Study. Addiction. 2001;96:1589–1601. doi: 10.1046/j.1360-0443.2001.961115896.x. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 9. Cochran SD, Mays VM, Sullivan JG. Prevalence of mental disorders, psychological distress, and mental health services use among lesbian, gay, and bisexual adults in the United States. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2003;71:53–61. [PubMed] 10. Deren S, Beardsley M, Coyle S, Singer M. HIV serostatus and risk behaviors in a multisite sample of drug users. J Psychoactive Drugs. 1998;30:239–245. [PubMed] 11. Molitor F, Truax SR, Ruiz JD, Sun RK. Association of methamphetamine use during sex with risky sexual behaviors and HIV infection among non-injection drug users. West J Med. 1998;168:93–97. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
12. Spitzer RL, William JB, Gibbon M, First MB. The Structured Clinical Interview for the DSM-IV (SCID) Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press; 1995.
13. Shoptaw S, Reback CJ, Peck JA, et al. Behavioral treatment approaches for methamphetamine dependence and HIV-related sexual risk behaviors among urban gay and bisexual men. In press, Drug and Alcohol Dependence.
14. Stout RL, Wirtz PW, Carbonari JP, Boca FK. Ensuring balanced distribution of prognostic factors in treatment outcome research. J Stud Alcohol. 1994;12:70–75.
15. Beck AT. Depression. Philadelphia, PA: University of Pennsylvania Press; 1967.
16. McLellan AT, Kushner H, Metzger D. The fifth edition of the Addiction Severity Index. J Subst Abuse Treat. 1992;9:199–213. doi: 10.1016/0740-5472(92)90062-S. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 17. Rawson RA, Shoptaw S, Obert JL, et al. An intensive outpatient approach for cocaine abuse treatment: the matrix model. J Subst Abuse Treat. 1995;12:117–127. doi: 10.1016/0740-5472(94)00080-B. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 18. Higgins ST, Budney AJ, Bickel WK, Hughes JR, Foerg F, Badjer G. Achieving cocaine abstinence with a behavioral approach. Am J Psychiatry. 1993;150:763–769. [PubMed] 19. Shoptaw S, Peck J, Reback CJ, Rotheram-Fuller E. Psychiatric and substance dependence comorbidities, sexually transmitted diseases, and risk behaviors among methamphetaminedependent gay and bisexual men seeking outpatient drug abuse treatment. J Psychoactive Drugs. 2003;35:161–168. [PubMed]