1. Young L. Improving quality and oversight of methadone treatment. SAMHSA News, 1999. Available at:http://www.samhsa.gov/press/99/990722fs.htm.Accessed August 10, 2001.
2. Appel PW, Joseph H, Kott A, Nottingham W, Tasiny E, Habel E. Selected in-treatment outcomes of long-term methadone maintenance treatment patients in New York State. Mt Sinai Med. 2001;68:55–61.
3. Dillman DA. Mail and Telephone Surveys: The Total Design Method. New York, NY: John Wiley and Sons; 1978.
4. Stephan JJ. Census of Jails, 1999. Washington, DC: US Dept of Justice; August; 2001.
5. Annual Report 2000: Arrestee Drug Abuse Monitoring. Washington, DC: US Dept of Justice; 2003.
6. O’Connor PG, Kosten TR. Management of opioid intoxication and withdrawal. In: Graham AW, Schulz TK, editors. Principles of Addiction Medicine. Chevy Chase, MD: American Society of Addiction Medicine; 2000. pp. 457–464.
7. Seal KH, Kral AH, Gee L, et al. Predictors and prevention of nonfatal overdose among street-recruited injection heroin users in the San Francisco Bay Area, 1998–1999. Am J Public Health. 2001;91:1842–1846. [PubMed] 8. Tomasino V, Swanson AJ, Nolan J, Shuman HI. The Key Extended Entry Program (KEEP): a methadone treatment program for opiate-dependent inmates. Mt Sinai J Med. 2001;68:14–20. [PubMed] 9. Bach PB, Lantos J. Methadone dosing, heroin affordability, and the severity of addiction. Am J Public Health. 1999;89:662–665. [PubMed]
10. American Psychiatric Association Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with substance use disorders: alcohol, cocaine, opioids. Am J Psychiatry. 1995;152:1–59.
11. Clinical Practice Guidelines: Detoxification of Chemically Dependent Persons. Washington, DC: National Institute of Corrections; 2000. pp. 1–44.
12. O’Connor PG, Carroll KM, Shi JM, Schottenfeld RS, Kosten TR, Rounsaville BJ. Three methods of opioid detoxification in a primary care setting. A randomized trial. Ann Intern Med. 1997;127:526–530. [PubMed] 13. San L, Cami J, Peri JM, Mata R, Porta M. Efficacy of clonidine, guanfacine and methadone in the rapid detoxification of heroin addicts: a controlled clinical trial. Br J Addict. 1990;85:141–147. doi: 10.1111/j.1360-0443.1990.tb00634.x. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 14. Armenian SH, Chutuape MA, Stitzer ML. Predictors of discharges against medical advice from a short-term hospital detoxification unit. Drug Alcohol Depend. 1999;56:1–8. doi: 10.1016/S0376-8716(99)00027-7. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 15. Ghodse H, Myles J, Smith SE. Clonidine is not a useful adjunct to methadone gradual detoxification in opioid addiction. Br J Psychiatry. 1994;165:370–374. doi: 10.1192/bjp.165.3.370. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 16. Kosten TR, Rounsaville BJ, Kleber HD. Comparison of clinician ratings to self reports of withdrawal during clonidine detoxification of opiate addicts. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 1985;11:1–10. [PubMed] 17. Gowing LR, Farrell M, Ali RL, White JM. Alpha2-adrenergic agonists in opioid with-drawal. Addiction. 2002;97:49–58. doi: 10.1046/j.1360-0443.2002.00037.x. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 18. McCann MJ, Miotto K, Rawson RA, Huber A, Shoptaw S, Ling W. Outpatient non-opioid detoxification for opioid withdrawal. Who is likely to benefit? Am J Addict. 1997;6:218–223. doi: 10.3109/10550499709136988. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 19. Dole VP. Detoxification of sick addicts in prison. JAMA. 1972;220:366–369. doi: 10.1001/jama.220.3.366. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 20. Magura S, Rosenblum A, Joseph H. Evaluation of in-jail methadone maintenance: preliminary results. NIDA Res Monogr. 1992;118:192–210. [PubMed]
21. Mattick RP, Kimber J, Breen C, Davoli M. Buprenorphine maintenance versus placebo or methadone maintenance for opioid dependence. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2002; CD002207.
22. Gowing L, Ali R, White J. Buprenorphine for the management of opioid withdrawal. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2002;CD002025.
23. McLellan AT, Lewis DC, O’Brien CP, Kleber HD. Drug dependence, a chronic medical illness: implications for treatment, insurance, and outcomes evaluation. JAMA. 2000;284:1689–1695. doi: 10.1001/jama.284.13.1689. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 24. Fiscella K, Pless N, Meldrum S, Fiscella P. Benign neglect or neglected abuse: drug and alcohol withdrawal in US jails. J Law Med Ethics. 2004;32:129–136. [PubMed]
25. Curitis HP. Medical examiner feels pressure; Dr. William Anderson said his ruling in a jail death invited repercussions from orange. Orlando Sentinel. July 4, 2002: A1.
26. Substance Abuse Treatment In Adult and Juvenile Correctional Facilities: Findings from the Uniform Facilities Data Set 1997 Survey of Correctional Facilities. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Office of Applied Studies; 2000.
27. Wilson DJ. Drug Use, Testing, and Treatment in Jails. Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office, Bureau of Justice Statistics; 2000.