Cytomegalovirus infection is ubiquitous but often remains asymptomatic in affected patients. Symptomatic cytomegalovirus infection usually occurs in immunocompromised patients— patients who are infected with the Human Immunodeficiency Virus, have received organ transplantations, or are on immunosuppressive therapies. Cytomegalovirus colitis can present with abdominal pain, diarrhea and significant per rectal blood loss. It is a rare entity in immunocompetent patients and can often be missed unless one has a high index of suspicion. We describe a case of CMV colitis in a 78-year-old patient with no known risk factors for immunosuppression who was admitted for respiratory diseases and then subsequently developed transfusion dependent lower gastrointestinal bleeding. She ultimately required surgical resection of her colon. A literature review on CMV colitis, its myriad manifestations and therapeutic outcomes was conducted, with particular emphasis on its occurrence in immunocompetent patients.
The Full Text of this article is available as a PDF
These references are in PubMed. This may not be the complete list of references from this article.
1. Goodgame R.W. Gastrointestinal cytomegalovirus disease. Ann Int Med. 1993;119:924–935. [PubMed]
2. Fish K.N., Stenglein S.G., Ibanez C., Nelson J.A. Cytomegalovirus persistence in macrophages and endothelial cells. Scand J Infect Dis. 1995;99:34–40.
3. Hinnant K.L., Rotterdam H.Z., Bell E.T., Tapper M.L. Cytomegalovirus infection of the alimentary tract: a clinicopathological correlation. Am J Gastroenterol. 1986;81:944–950. [PubMed] 4. Rotterdam H., Tsang P. Gastrointestinal disease in the immunocompromised patient. Hum Pathol. 1994;25:1123. doi: 10.1016/0046-8177(94)90029-9. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 5. Vogel F.S. Enhanced susceptibility of proliferating endothelium to salivary gland virus under naturally occurring and experimental conditions. Am J Pathol. 1958;34:1069–1079. [PubMed] 6. Lee C.S., Low A.H., Ender P.T., Bodenheimer H.C., Jr Cytomegalovirus colitis in an immunocompetent patient with Amebiasis: case report and review of the literature. Mt Sinai J Med. 2004;71:347–350. [PubMed] 7. Klauber E., Briski L.E., Khatib R. Cytomegalovirus colitis in the immunocompetent host: an overview. Scand J Infect Dis. 1998;30:559–564. doi: 10.1080/00365549850161098. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 8. Karakozis S., Gongora E., Caceres M., Brun E., Cook J.W. Life-threatening cytomegalovirus colitis in the immunocompetent patient. Report of a case and review of the literature. Dis Colon Rectum. 2001;44:1716–1720. doi: 10.1007/BF02234398. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 9. Sakamoto I., Shirai T., Kamide T., Igarashi M., Koike J., Ito A., et al. Cytomegalovirus enterocolitis in an immunocompetent individual. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2002;34:243–246. doi: 10.1097/00004836-200203000-00010. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 10. Patel S.M., Cohen P., Pickering M.C., Gazzard B.G., Andreyev J. Successful treatment of acute hemorrhagic cytomegalovirus colitis with ganciclovir in an individual without overt immunocompromised. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2003;15:1055–1060. doi: 10.1097/00042737-200309000-00020. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 11. Chow P.K., Ho J.M., Ling A.E., Goh H.S. CMV colitis masquerading as colon cancer—an unusual presentation of acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Singapore Med J. 1997;38:32–34. [PubMed]
12. Dieterich D.T., Rahmin M. Cytomegalovirus Colitis in AIDS: presentation in 44 patients and a review of the literature. J Acqu Immune Defic Syndr. 1991;4:S29–S35.
13. Swansiger B., Orchard J.L. A colonic mass lesion due to cytomegalovirus in an immunocompromised patient. J Clin Gastroenterol. 1996;22:41–44. doi: 10.1097/00004836-199601000-00012. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 14. Crespo M.G., Arnal F.M., Gomez M., Monserrat L., Suarez F., Rodriguez J.A., et al. Cytomegalovirus colitis mimicking a colonic neoplasm or ischemic colitis 4 years after heart transplantation. Transplantation. 1998;66:1562–1565. doi: 10.1097/00007890-199812150-00023. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 15. Iwasaki T. Alimentary tract lesions in cytomegalovirus infection. Acta Pathol Jpn. 1987;37:549–565. [PubMed] 16. Nomura K., Kamitsuji Y., Kono E., Matsumoto Y., Yoshida N., Konishi H., et al. Case Report: Severe Cytomegalovirus Enterocolitis after standard chemotherapy for non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. SCD J Gastroenterol. 2005;40:604–606. doi: 10.1080/00365520510015395. [Cross Ref] 17. Keates J., Lagahee S., Crilley P., Haber M., Kowalski T. CMV enteritis causing segmental ischemia and massive intestinal hemorrhage. Gastrointest Endosc. 2001;53:355–359. [PubMed] 18. Galiatsatos P., Shrier I., Lamoureux E., Szilagyi A. Meta-analysis of outcome of cytomegalovirus colitis in immunocompetent hosts. Dig Dis Sci. 2005;50:609–616. doi: 10.1007/s10620-005-2544-6. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]