1. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Results from the 2009 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Mental Health Findings. NSDUH Series H-39, HHS Publication No. SMA 10-4609. Rockville, MD: Office of Applied Studies; 2010.
2. Strada MJ, Donohue B, Lefforge NL. Examination of ethnicity in controlled treatment outcome studies involving substance abusers: A comprehensive literature review. Psychol Addict Behav. 2006;20(1):11–27. [PubMed] 3. Iguchi M. How criminal system racial disparities may translate into health disparities. J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2005;16(4 Supplement B):48–56. [PubMed] 4. Campbell CI, Weisner C, Sterling S. Adolescents entering chemical dependency treatment in private managed care: Ethnic differences in treatment initiation and retention. J Adolesc Health. 2006;38(4):343–350. [PubMed]
5. Jackson-Gilfort A, Liddle HA, Tejeda MJ, Dakor GA. Facilitating engagement of African American male adolescents in family therapy: a cultural theme process study. J Black Psychol. 2001;27(3):321–340.
8. Chambliss D, Sanderson W, Shoham V, et al. An update on empirically validated therapies. Clin Psychol. 1996;49(2):5–18.
9. APA Presidential Task Force on Evidence-Based Therapy. Evidence-based practice in psychology. Amer Psycholo. 2006;61(4):271–285. [PubMed] 10. Hall GCN. Psychotherapy research with ethnic minorities: Empirical, ethical, and conceptual issues. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2001;69(3):502–510. [PubMed] 11. Aisenberg E. Evidence-Based Practice in Mental Health Care to Ethnic Minority Communities: Has Its Practice Fallen Short of Its Evidence? Social Work. 2008;53:297–306. [PubMed]
12. Nathan PE, Gorman JM. Treatments that work – and what convinces us they do. In: Nathan PE, Gorman JM, editors. A Guide to Treatments that Work. New York: Oxford; 1998. pp. 3–25.
13. Burlew AK, Feaster D, Brecht M, Hubbard R. Measurement and data analysis in research addressing health disparities in substance abuse. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2009;36(1):25–43. [PubMed] 14. Mason S. Offering African Americans opportunities to participate in Clinical Trials Research: How social workers can help. Health & Social Work. 2005;30:296–304. [PubMed] 15. Yancey AK, Ortega AN, Kumanyika SK. Effective recruitment and retention of minority research participants. Annu Rev Public Health. 2006;27:1–28. [PubMed] 16. Milligan CO, Nich C, Carroll KM. Ethnic Differences in Substance Abuse Treatment Retention, Compliance and Outcome from Two Clinical Trials . Psychiatric Services. 2004;55(2):167–173. [PubMed] 17. Stitzer M, Polk T, Bowles S, Kosten T. Drug users’ adherence to a 6-month vaccination protocol: Effects of motivational incentives. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2010;107:76–79. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 18. Shillington A, Clapp J. Self report stability of adolescent substance abuse: Are there differences for gender, ethnicity and age. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2000;60:19–27. [PubMed] 19. Arean PA, Alvidrez J, Nery R, Estes C, Linkins K. Recruitment and retention of older minorities in mental health services research. Gerontologist. 2003;43:36–44. [PubMed] 20. Moreno-Black G, Shor-Posner G, Miguez MJ, Burbano X, O’Mellan S, Yovanoff P. I will miss the study, God bless you all: Participation in a nutritional chemoprevention trial. Ethnicity and Disease. 2004;14(4):469–475. [PubMed] 21. Wallerstein NB, Duran B. Using community-based participatory research to address health disparities. Health Promot Pract. 2006;7(3):312–323. [PubMed]
22. Botvin G, Schinke S, Epstein J, Diaz T, Botvin E. Effectiveness of culturally focused and generic skills training approaches to alcohol and drug abuse prevention among minority adolescents: Two year follow up results. Psychol Addict Behav. 1995;9:183–194.
23. Castro F, Barrera M, Holleran L. Issues and challenges in the design of culturally adapted evidence-based interventions. Annu. Rev. Clin. Psychol. 2010;6:213–39. [PubMed]
24. Longshore D, Grills C. Motivating illegal drug use recovery: Evidence for a culturally congruent intervention. Journal of Black Psychology. 2000;26:288–301.
25. Resnicow K, Soler R, Braithwaite RL, Ahluwalia JS, Butler J. Cultural sensitivity in substance use prevention. Journal of Community Psychology. 2000;28(3):271–290. 2000.
26. Weekes JC. Race-matching in Psychotherapy: Findings, Inconsistencies, and Future Directions. Graduate Student Journal of Psychology. 2010;12:8–13.
27. Ramirez M, Ford M, Steward A, Teresi J. Measurement issues in health disparities research. Health Research and Educational Trust. 2005;40:1640–1657. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
28. Widaman KF, Reise S. Exploring the measurement invariance of psychological instruments: Applications in the substance use domain. In: Bryant KJ, Windle M, West SG, editors. The Science of Prevention: Methodological Advances from Alcohol and Substance Abuse. Washington, DC: Am Psychol. Assoc; 1997. pp. 281–324.
29. Bravo M. Instrument development: Cultural adaptations in ethnic minority research. In: Bernal G, Trimble J, Burlew A, Leong F, editors. Handbook of racial ethnic minority psychology. Newbury Park, CA: Sage; 2003.
30. Hughes D, Dumon K. Using focus groups to facilitate culturally anchored methodology. Am J Community Psychol. 1993;21:727–746.
31. Wu LT, Pan JJ, Blazer DG, Tai B, Stitzer ML, Woody GE. Using a latent variable approach to inform gender and racial/ethnic differences in cocaine dependence: A National Drug Abuse Treatment Clinical Trials Network study. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2010;38(Suppl 1):S70–S79. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 32. Huey S, Polo A. Evidence-based psychosocial treatments for ethnic minority youth. J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol. 2008;37(1):262–301. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 33. Foley K, Pallas D, Forcehimes AA, et al. Effect of Job Skills training on employment and job seeking behaviors in an American Indian substance abuse treatment sample. Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation. 2010;33:181–192. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 34. Cabral DN, Nápoles-Springer AM, Miike R, McMillan, et al. Population and community-based recruitment of African Americans and Latinos: The San Francisco Bay area lung cancer study. Am J Epidemiol. 2003;158:272–279. [PubMed] 35. Alvarez RA, Vasquez E, Mayorga CC, Feaster DJ, Mitrani VB. Increasing minority research participation through community organization outreach. West J Nurs Res. 2006;28:541–560. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
36. Israel BA, Eng E, Schulz AJ, Parker EA. Methods in Community-based Participatory Research for Health. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass; 2005.
37. Minkler M, Wallerstein N, editors. Community-Based Participatory Research in Health, Process to Outcomes, 2nd edition. SF, Jossey-Bass Publishers; 2008.
38. Shalowitz MU, Isacco A, Barquin N, et al. Community-based participatory research: a review of the literature with strategies for community engagement. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2009;30(4):350–61. [PubMed] 39. Bisaga A, Aharonoivh E, Garawi F, et al. A randomized placebo-controlled trial of gabapentin for cocaine dependence. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 2006;81(3):267–274. [PubMed] 40. Bisaga A, Aharonoivh E, Cheng WYF, et al. A placebo controlled trial of memantine for cocaine dependence with high-value voucher incentives during a pre-randomized lead-in period. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2010;111:97–104. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 41. Mcgruder KM, Ouyang B, Miller S, Tilley BC. Retention of under-represented minorities in drug abuse treatment studies. Clinical Trials. 2009;6(3):252–260. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 42. Szapocznik J, Prado G, Burlew AK, Williams R, Santisteban D. Drug abuse in African American and Hispanic adolescents: Culture, development, and behavior. Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2007;3:77–105. [PubMed] 43. Warden D, Rush AJ, Wisniewski SR, et al. Income and Attrition in the Treatment of Depression: A STAR*D Report. Depression and Anxiety. 2009;26:622–633. [PubMed] 44. Prado G, Pantin H, Schwartz SJ, Lupei NS, Szapocznik J. Predictors of engagement and retention into a parent-centered, ecodevelopmental HIV preventive intervention for Hispanic adolescents and their families. J Pediatr Psychol. 2006;31(9):874–890. [PubMed] 45. Halliday-Boykins CA, Schoenwald SK, Letourneau EJ. Caregiver-therapist ethnic similarity predicts youth outcomes from an empirically based treatment. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2005;73(5):808–818. [PubMed] 46. Sterling RC, Gottheil E, Weinstein SP, Serota R. Therapist/patient race and sex matching: Treatment retention and 9-month follow-up outcome. Addiction. 1998;93(7):1043–1050. [PubMed] 47. Robbins MA, Szapocznik J, Horigian VE, et al. Brief Strategic Family Therapy for adolescent drug abusers: A multi-site effectiveness study. Contemp Clin Trials. 2009;30(3):269–278. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
48. Ruglass LM, Hien DA, Hu MC, et al. Ethnic match, therapeutic alliance, and treatment outcomes among women with trauma and addictions. Unpublished Manuscript.
49. Hein DH, Wells RD, Jiang H, Suarez-Morales L, Campbell ANC. Multisite randomized trial of behavioral interventions for women with co-occuring PTSD and substance use disorders. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2009;77(4):607–619. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
50. Gamst G, Dana RH, Der-Karabetian A, Aragon M, Arellano LM, Kramer T. Effects of Latino acculturation and ethnic identity on mental health outcomes. Hisp J Behav Sci. 2002;24:479–504.
51. Yeh M, Eastman K, Cheung MK. Children and adolescents in community health centers: Does the ethnicity or the language of the therapist matter? JCommunity Psychol. 1994;22:153–163.
52. Fiorentine R, Hillhouse MP. Drug treatment effectiveness and client-counselor empathy: Exploring the effects of gender and ethnic congruency. J Drug Issues. 1999;29(1):59–74.
53. Petry NM, Peirce JM, Stitzer ML, et al. Effect of prize-based incentives on outcomes in stimulant abusers in outpatient psychosocial treatment programs: A national drug abuse treatment clinical trials network study. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005;62(10):1148–1156. [PubMed] 54. Peirce JM, Petry NM, Stitzer ML, et al. Effects of lower-cost incentives on stimulant abstinence in methadone maintenance treatment: a National Drug Abuse Treatment Clinical Trials Network study. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2006;63(2):201–208. [PubMed]
55. Gorman-Smith D, Tolan PH, Zelli A, Huesmann LR. The relation of family functioning to violence among inner-city minority youths. J Fam Psychol. 1996;10(2):115–129.
56. Moos R, Moos B. Family Environment Scale Manual. 2nd ed. Palo Alto, Calif: Consulting Psychologists Press; 1986.
57. Feaster D, Robbins M, Szapocznik J, et al. Family functioning and adolescent externalizing in adolescent substance users of different race/ethnicity. J Subst Use Treat. 2010;38(Supplement 1):S113–S124. [PubMed] 58. Calsyn DA, Hatch-Maillette M, Tross S, et al. Motivational and skills training HIV/STI sexual risk reduction groups for men. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2009;37(2):138–150. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 59. Winhusen T, Kropp F, Babcock D, et al. Motivational enhancement therapy to improve treatment utilization and outcome in pregnant substance users . J Subst Treat. 2008;35(2):161–173. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 60. Covey L, Hu M, Winhusen T, Weissman J, Berlin I, Nunes E. OROS-methylphenidate or placebo for adult smokers with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Racial/ethnic differences. Drug and Alcohol Depen. (in press) [PMC free article] [PubMed]
61. Montgomery L, Burlew AK, Kosinski A, Forcehimes A. The efficacy of Motivational Enhancement Therapy for African Americans. (Unpublished Manuscript)
62. Hettema J, Steele J, Miller WR. Motivational interviewing. Ann Rev Clin Psychol. 2005;1:91–111. [PubMed]