1. Breslau N, Kessler RC, Chilcoat HD, Schultz LR, Davis GC, Andreski P. Trauma and posttraumatic stress disorder in the community: The 1996 Detroit Area Survey of Trauma. Arch Gen Psychiat. 1998;55:626–31. [PubMed]
2. Feeny N, Foa E, Treadwell K, March J. Posttraumatic stress disorder in youth: a critical review of the cognitive and behavioral treatment outcome literature. Prof Psychol-Res Pr. 2004;35:466–76.
3. Caffo E, Foresi B, Lievers LS. The impact, psychological sequelae and management of trauma affecting children and adolescents. Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2005;18:422–8. [PubMed]
4. Dyregrov A, Yule W. A review of PTSD in children. J Child Adolesc Ment Health. 2006;11:176–84.
5. Niclasen B, Köhler L. National indicators of child health and well-being in Greenland. Scand J Public Healt. 2009;37:347–56. [PubMed] 6. Curtis T, Larsen FB, Helweg-Larsen K, Bjerregaard P. Violence, sexual abuse and health in Greenland. Int J Circumpolar Health. 2002;61:110–22. [PubMed]
8. Bjerregaard P, Lynge I. Suicide: a challenge in modern Greenland. Arch Sui Res. 2006;10:109–220.
9. Yeomans PD, Forman EM. Cultural factors in traumatic stress. In: Eshun S, Gurung R, editors. Sociocultural influences on mental health. Boston: Blackwell; 2009. pp. 221–44.
10. Herbert JD, Forman EM. Cross-cultural perspectives on posttraumatic stress. In: Rosen GM, Frueh BC, editors. Clinician's guide to posttraumatic stress disorder. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley; 2010. pp. 235–61.
11. Elklit A. Victimization and PTSD in a Danish national youth probability sample. J Am Acad Child Psy. 2002;41:174–81. [PubMed] 12. Bödvarsdóttir Í, Elklit A. Victimization and PTSD-like states in an Icelandic youth probability sample. BMC Psychiatry. 2007;7:1–26. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
13. Rhiger M, Elklit A, Lasgaard M. Trauma in an Israeli youth sample: an investigation of the prevalence and psychological impact of exposure to traumatic experiences. Nord Psychol. 2008;60:101–13.
14. Domanskaité-Gota V, Elklit A, Christiansen DM. Victimization and PTSD in a Lithuanian national youth probability sample. Nord Psychol. 2009;61:66–81.
15. Petersen T, Elklit A, Olesen JG. Victimization and PTSD in a Faroese youth total-population sample. Scand J Psychol. 2010;51:56–62. [PubMed]
16. Rasmussen D, Elklit A. Indian Journal of Psychiatry. Victimization and PTSD in an Indian youth sample. (Submitted)
17. Karsberg S, Elklit A. Clinical Practice and Epidemiology in Mental Health. Victimization and PTSD in a Rural Kenyan youth sample. In press.
18. Kjær L. Mail correspondence with Lotte Kjær, governmental supervisor of education and research in Greenland. 2012
19. Balvig F. København: Det kriminalpræventive Råd; RisikoUngdom – Ungdomsundersøgelse 1999. 2000.
20. American Psychiatric Association. 4th Edition. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association; Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders.
21. Elklit A, Petersen T. Exposure to traumatic events among adolescents in four nations. Torture. 2008;18:2–11. [PubMed] 22. Mollica RF, Caspi-Yavin Y, Billini P, Truong T, Tor S, Lavelle J. The Harvard Trauma Questionnaire: validating a cross-cultural instrument for measuring torture, trauma, and post traumatic stress disorder in Indochinese refugees. J Nerv Ment Dis. 1992;180:111–6. [PubMed] 23. Kleijn WC, Hovens JE, Rodenburg JJ. Posttraumatic stress symptoms in refugees: assessments with the Harvard Trauma Questionnaire and the Hopkins Symptom Checklist-25 in different languages. Psychol Rep. 2001;88:527–32. [PubMed] 24. Kirmayer LJ, Brass GM, Tait CL. The mental health of Aboriginal peoples: transformations of identity and community. Can J Psychiatry. 2000;45:607–16. [PubMed] 25. Kirmayer LJ, Boothroyd LJ, Hodgins S. Attempted suicide among Inuit youth: psychosocial correlates and implications for prevention. Can J Psychiatry. 1998;43:816–22. [PubMed] 26. Boothroyd LJ, Kirmayer LJ, Spreng S, Malus M, Hodgins S. Completed suicides among the Inuit of northern Quebec, 1982–1996: a case control study. CMAJ. 2001;165:749–55. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 27. Haggarty JM, Cernovsky Z, Bedard M, Merskey H. Suicidality in a sample of Arctic households. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2008;38(6):699–707. [PubMed]
28. Kirmayer LJ, Simpson C, Cargo M. Healing traditions: mental health promotion with Canadian Aboriginal peoples. Australas Psychiatry. 2003;11:15–23.
29. Lynge I. Mental disorders and conditions of life in childhood in Greenlanders. Arctic Med Res. 1995;54:60–7. [PubMed] 30. Kassam A. Encounters with the North: psychiatric consultation with Inuit youth. J Can Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2006;15(4):174–8. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 31. Furr JM, Comer JS, Edmunds JM, Kendall PC. Disasters and youth: a meta-analytic examination of posttraumatic stress. J Consult Clin Psych. 2010;78:765–80. [PubMed] 32. Kaysen D, Rosen G, Bowman M, Resick PA. Duration of trauma exposure and the dose-response model of PTSD. J Interpers Violence. 2010;25:63–74. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 33. Hoge CW, Castro CA, Messer SC, McGurk D, Cotting DI, Koffman RL. Combat duty in Iraq and Afghanistan, mental health problems, and barriers to care. N Engl J Med. 2004;351:13–22. [PubMed] 34. Goenjian AK, Walling D, Steinberg AM, Karayan I, Najarian LM, Pynoos R. A prospective study of posttraumatic stress and depressive reactions among treated and untreated adolescents 5 years after a catastrophic disaster. Am J Psychiatry. 2005;162(12):2302–8. [PubMed]
35. Bowman ML, Yehuda R. Risk factors and the adversity-stress model. In: Rosen GM, editor. Posttraumatic stress disorder: issues and controversies. Chichester, UK: Wiley; 2004. pp. 39–61.
36. Brewin CR, Andrews B, Valentine JD. Meta-analysis of risk factors for posttraumatic stress disorder in trauma-exposed adults. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2000;68:748–66. [PubMed] 37. Ozer EJ, Best SR, Lipsey TL, Weiss DS. Predictors of posttraumatic stress disorder and symptoms in adults: a meta-analysis. Psychol Bull. 2003;129:52–73. [PubMed] 38. Ditlevsen DN, Elklit A. The combined effect of gender and age on posttraumatic stress disorder: do men and women show differences in the lifespan distribution of the disorder? Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2010;9:32. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 39. Brewin CR, Andrews B, Valentine JD. Meta-analysis of risk factors for posttraumatic stress disorder in trauma-exposed adults. J Consult Clin Psych. 2000;68:748–66. [PubMed]
40. Kimerling R, Ouimette P, Wolfe J, editors. Gender and PTSD. New York: The Guilford Press; 2002.
42. Norris FH, Perilla J, Ibañez GE, Murphy AD. Placing age differences in cultural context: a comparison of the effects of age on PTSD after disasters in the United States, Mexico, and Poland. J Clin Geropsych. 2002;8(3):153–73.
43. Willis GB, Gonzalez A. Methodological issues in the use of survey questionnaires to assess the health effects of torture. J Nerv Ment Dis. 1998;186:283–9. [PubMed]