1. Carette S, Fehlings MG (2005) Clinical practice. Cervical radiculopathy. N Engl J Med 353: 392–399. [PubMed] 2. Reitman CA, Hipp JA, Nguyen L, Esses SI (2004) Changes in segmental intervertebral motion adjacent to cervical arthrodesis: a prospective study. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29: E221–226. [PubMed] 3. Chen J, Wang X, Bai W, Shen X, Yuan W (2012) Prevalence of heterotopic ossification after cervical total disc arthroplasty: a meta-analysis. Eur Spine J 21: 674–680. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 4. Bartels RH, Donk R, Verbeek AL (2010) No justification for cervical disk prostheses in clinical practice: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Neurosurgery 66: 1153–1160; discussion 1160. [PubMed] 5. Sasso RC, Anderson PA, Riew KD, Heller JG (2011) Results of cervical arthroplasty compared with anterior discectomy and fusion: four-year clinical outcomes in a prospective, randomized controlled trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am 93: 1684–1692. [PubMed] 6. Coric D, Nunley PD, Guyer RD, Musante D, Carmody CN, et al. (2011) Prospective, randomized, multicenter study of cervical arthroplasty: 269 patients from the Kineflex|C artificial disc investigational device exemption study with a minimum 2-year follow-up: clinical article. J Neurosurg Spine 15: 348–358. [PubMed] 7. Murrey D, Janssen M, Delamarter R, Goldstein J, Zigler J, et al. (2009) Results of the prospective, randomized, controlled multicenter Food and Drug Administration investigational device exemption study of the ProDisc-C total disc replacement versus anterior discectomy and fusion for the treatment of 1-level symptomatic cervical disc disease. Spine J 9: 275–286. [PubMed] 8. Heller JG, Sasso RC, Papadopoulos SM, Anderson PA, Fessler RG, et al. (2009) Comparison of BRYAN cervical disc arthroplasty with anterior cervical decompression and fusion: clinical and radiographic results of a randomized, controlled, clinical trial. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34: 101–107. [PubMed] 9. Mummaneni PV, Burkus JK, Haid RW, Traynelis VC, Zdeblick TA (2007) Clinical and radiographic analysis of cervical disc arthroplasty compared with allograft fusion: a randomized controlled clinical trial. J Neurosurg Spine 6: 198–209. [PubMed] 10. Upadhyaya CD, Wu JC, Trost G, Haid RW, Traynelis VC, et al. . (2011) Analysis of the three United States Food and Drug Administration investigational device exemption cervical arthroplasty trials. J Neurosurg Spine. [PubMed] 11. Guyatt GH, Oxman AD, Schunemann HJ, Tugwell P, Knottnerus A (2011) GRADE guidelines: a new series of articles in the Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. J Clin Epidemiol 64: 380–382. [PubMed] 12. Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG (2009) Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. J Clin Epidemiol 62: 1006–1012. [PubMed] 13. Botelho RV, Moraes OJ, Fernandes GA, Buscariolli Ydos S, Bernardo WM (2010) A systematic review of randomized trials on the effect of cervical disc arthroplasty on reducing adjacent-level degeneration. Neurosurg Focus 28: E5. [PubMed]
14. Lefebvre C, Clarke MJ (2001) Identifying randomised trials. In: Egger M, Smith D, Altman DG, editors. Systematic reviews in healthcare. 2nd edition ed. London: BMJ Publishing Group.
15. Bhandari M, Busse JW, Jackowski D, Montori VM, Schunemann H, et al. (2004) Association between industry funding and statistically significant pro-industry findings in medical and surgical randomized trials. CMAJ 170: 477–480. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
16. Higgins JPT, Altman DG, Sterne JAC (2011) Chapter 8: Assessing risk of bias in included studies. In: Higgins JPT, Green S, editors. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 510 (updated March 2011): The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011.
17. Akl EA, Sun X, Busse JW, Johnston BC, Briel M, et al. (2012) Specific instructions for estimating unclearly reported blinding status in randomized trials were reliable and valid. J Clin Epidemiol 65: 262–267. [PubMed]
18. Guyatt GH, Busse JW (2011) Modification of Cochrane Too to assess risk of bias in randomized trials.
19. Deeks JJ, Higgins JPT, Altman DG (2011) Chapter 9: Analysing data and undertaking meta-analyses. In: Higgins JPT, Green S, editors. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 510 (updated March 2011). Deeks JJ, Higgins JPT, Altman DG (editors). Chapter 9: Analysing data and undertaking meta-analyses. In: Higgins JPT, Green S (editors). Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.1.0 (updated March 2011). The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011. Available from www.cochrane-handbook.org ed: The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011. 20. McAfee PC, Cappuccino A, Cunningham BW, Devine JG, Phillips FM, et al. (2010) Lower incidence of dysphagia with cervical arthroplasty compared with ACDF in a prospective randomized clinical trial. 23: 1–8. [PubMed] 21. McAfee PC, Reah C, Gilder K, Eisermann L, Cunningham B (2011) A Meta-Analysis of Comparative Outcomes Following Cervical Arthroplasty or Anterior Cervical Fusion: Results from Four Prospective Multi-center Randomized Clinical Trials and up to 1226 Patients. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). [PubMed] 22. Wang Y, Cai B, Zhang XS, Xiao SH, Wang Z, et al. (2008) Clinical outcomes of single level Bryan cervical disc arthroplasty: a prospective controlled study. 46: 328–332. [PubMed] 23. Burkus JK, Haid RW, Traynelis VC, Mummaneni PV (2010) Long-term clinical and radiographic outcomes of cervical disc replacement with the Prestige disc: results from a prospective randomized controlled clinical trial. 13: 308–318. [PubMed] 24. Nabhan A, Steudel WI, Nabhan A, Pape D, Ishak B (2007) Segmental kinematics and adjacent level degeneration following disc replacement versus fusion: RCT with three years of follow-up. Journal of long-term effects of medical implants 17: 229–236. [PubMed]
25. Delamarter RB, Murrey D, Janssen ME, Goldstein JA, Zigler J, et al. (2010) Results at 24 months from the prospective, randomized, multicenter Investigational Device Exemption trial of ProDisc-C versus anterior cervical discectomy and fusion with 4-year follow-up and continued access patients. 4: 122–128.
26. Nabhan A, Ishak B, Steudel WI, Ramadhan S, Steimer O (2011) Assessment of adjacent-segment mobility after cervical disc replacement versus fusion: RCT with 1 year's results. 20: 934–941. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 27. Carreon LY, Glassman SD, Campbell MJ, Anderson PA (2010) Neck Disability Index, short form-36 physical component summary, and pain scales for neck and arm pain: the minimum clinically important difference and substantial clinical benefit after cervical spine fusion. Spine J 10: 469–474. [PubMed] 28. Young IA, Cleland JA, Michener LA, Brown C (2010) Reliability, construct validity, and responsiveness of the neck disability index, patient-specific functional scale, and numeric pain rating scale in patients with cervical radiculopathy. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 89: 831–839. [PubMed] 29. Anderson PA, Puschak TJ, Sasso RC (2009) Comparison of short-term SF-36 results between total joint arthroplasty and cervical spine decompression and fusion or arthroplasty. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34: 176–183. [PubMed] 30. Jiang H, Zhu Z, Qiu Y, Qian B, Qiu X, et al. (2012) Cervical disc arthroplasty versus fusion for single-level symptomatic cervical disc disease: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 132: 141–151. [PubMed] 31. Upadhyaya CD, Wu JC, Trost G, Haid RW, Traynelis VC, et al. (2012) Analysis of the three United States Food and Drug Administration investigational device exemption cervical arthroplasty trials. J Neurosurg Spine 16: 216–228. [PubMed] 32. Yu L, Song Y, Yang X, Lv C (2011) Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials: comparison of total disk replacement with anterior cervical decompression and fusion. Orthopedics 34: e651–658. [PubMed]
33. Cepoiu-Martin M, Faris P, Lorenzetti D, Prefontaine E, Noseworhty T, et al. . (2011) Artificial Cervical Disc Arthroplasty (ACDA): a systematic review. Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
34. Egger M, Zellweger-Zahner T, Schneider M, Junker C, Lengeler C, et al. (1997) Language bias in randomised controlled trials published in English and German. Lancet 350: 326–329. [PubMed] 35. Robertson JT, Papadopoulos SM, Traynelis VC (2005) Assessment of adjacent-segment disease in patients treated with cervical fusion or arthroplasty: a prospective 2-year study. J Neurosurg Spine 3: 417–423. [PubMed] 36. Anderson PA, Sasso RC, Riew KD (2008) Comparison of adverse events between the Bryan artificial cervical disc and anterior cervical arthrodesis. 33: 1305–1312. [PubMed] 37. Coric D, Finger F, Boltes P (2006) Prospective randomized controlled study of the Bryan Cervical Disc: early clinical results from a single investigational site. 4: 31–35. [PubMed] 38. Garrido BJ, Taha TA, Sasso RC (2010) Clinical outcomes of Bryan cervical disc arthroplasty a prospective, randomized, controlled, single site trial with 48-month follow-up. 23: 367–371. [PubMed] 39. Hacker RJ (2005) Cervical disc arthroplasty: a controlled randomized prospective study with intermediate follow-up results. Invited submission from the joint section meeting on disorders of the spine and peripheral nerves, March 2005. 3: 424–428. [PubMed] 40. Peng-Fei S, Yu-Hua J (2008) Cervical disc prosthesis replacement and interbody fusion: a comparative study. 32: 103–106. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 41. Sasso RC, Metcalf NH, Hipp JA, Wharton ND, Anderson PA (2011) Sagittal alignment after Bryan cervical arthroplasty. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 36: 991–996. [PubMed] 42. Sasso RC, Best NM, Metcalf NH, Anderson PA (2008) Motion analysis of bryan cervical disc arthroplasty versus anterior discectomy and fusion: Results from a prospective, randomized, multicenter, clinical trial. 21: 393–399. [PubMed] 43. Sasso RC, Smucker JD, Hacker RJ, Heller JG (2007) Clinical outcomes of BRYAN Cervical Disc arthroplasty: A prospective, randomized, controlled, multicenter trial with 24-month follow-up. 20: 481–491. [PubMed] 44. Sasso RC, Smucker JD, Hacker RJ, Heller JG (2007) Artificial disc versus fusion: a prospective, randomized study with 2-year follow-up on 99 patients. 32: 2933–2932. [PubMed] 45. Xu JX, Zhang YZ, Shen Y, Ding WY (2009) Effect of modified techniques in bryan cervical disc arthroplasty. 34: 1012–1017. [PubMed]
46. Guyer R, Lauryssen C, Blementhal S (2008) A prospective randomized comparison of cervical total disc replacement to anterior cervical fusion. Abstractbook Spineweek Geneva C73: 45–46.
47. Davis R (2011) Comparison of the Mobi C cervical artificial disc to anterior cervical discectomy and fusion in the treatment of symptomatic cervical degenerative disc disease at two levels. 11: 135S.
48. Hisey MS, Bae HW, Davis R, Gaede S, Hoffman G, et al. . (2011) Reduction in the incidence of adjacent segment degeneration at 2 years: results of a multicenter, prospective, randomized, controlled trial comparing Mobi C cervical artificial disc to anterior cervical discectomy and fusion. Eurospine 2011.
49. Nunley P, Jawahar A, Bae H, Davis R, Hisey M, et al. (2011) A prospective randomized controlled trial to assess the efficacy of the Mobi-Cbeta artificial cervical disc in the management of intractable cervical myelo-radiculopathy at one or two contiguous level. 11: 47S–48S.
50. Park DK, Lin EL, Phillips FM (2011) Index and adjacent level kinematics after cervical disc replacement and anterior fusion: In vivo quantitative radiographic analysis. 36: 721–730. [PubMed]
51. Howell K, Phillips F, Cappuccino A, Geisler F, Chaput C, et al. (2011) A prospective, randomized clinical investigation of the porous coated motion (PCM) artificial cervical disc: Two-year results from the US IDE study. 11: 18S.
52. Porchet F, Metcalf NH (2004) Clinical outcomes with the Prestige II cervical disc: preliminary results from a prospective randomized clinical trial. 17: E6. [PubMed] 53. Riina J, Patel A, Dietz JW, Hoskins JS, Trammell TR, et al. (2008) Comparison of single-level cervical fusion and a metal-on-metal cervical disc replacement device. 37: E71–77. [PubMed] 54. Anakwenze OA, Auerbach JD, Milby AH, Lonner BS, Balderston RA (2009) Sagittal cervical alignment after cervical disc arthroplasty and anterior cervical discectomy and fusion: results of a prospective, randomized, controlled trial. 34: 2001–2007. [PubMed] 55. Auerbach JD, Anakwenze OA, Milby AH, Lonner BS, Balderston RA (2011) Segmental contribution toward total cervical range of motion: A comparison of cervical disc arthroplasty and fusion: A comparison of cervical disc arthroplasty and fusion. 36: E1593–E1599. [PubMed] 56. Nabhan A, Ahlhelm F, Pitzen T, Steudel WI, Jung J, et al. (2007) Disc replacement using Pro-Disc C versus fusion: a prospective randomised and controlled radiographic and clinical study. 16: 423–430. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 57. Nabhan A, Steudel WI, Nabhan A, Pape D, Ishak B (2007) Segmental kinematics and adjacent level degeneration following disc replacement versus fusion: RCT with three years of follow-up. Journal of long-term effects of medical implants 17: 229–236. [PubMed] 58. Nabhan A, Ahlhelm F, Shariat K, Pitzen T, Steimer O, et al. (2007) The ProDisc-C prosthesis: clinical and radiological experience 1 year after surgery. 32: 1935–1941. [PubMed]
59. Marzluff J, McConnell J, Tomaras C, Peppelman W, Volcan I, et al. . (2010) 2-Year Multicenter Follow-up in a Prospective Randomized Clinical Trial: Comparison of a Cervical Artificial Disc to an ACDF Treatment. NASS Conference.
60. Coric D, Cassis J, Carew JD, Boltes MO (2010) Prospective study of cervical arthroplasty in 98 patients involved in 1 of 3 separate investigational device exemption studies from a single investigational site with a minimum 2-year follow-up: Clinical article. 13: 715–721. [PubMed] 61. Jawahar A, Cavanaugh DA, Kerr EJ 3rd, Birdsong EM, Nunley PD (2010) Total disc arthroplasty does not affect the incidence of adjacent segment degeneration in cervical spine: results of 93 patients in three prospective randomized clinical trials. 10: 1043–1048. [PubMed]
62. Utter PA, Jawahar A, Cavanaugh DA, Kerr EJ, Nunley PD (2011) Does total disc arthroplasty in cervical spine reduce the incidence of symptomatic adjacent segment disease? Analysis from multiple randomized trials. 153: 1886–1887.
63. Abibtol JJ, Baldwin NG, Youssef JA, Wright NM (2008) Cervicore disc replacement vs fusion for cervical nerve root compression: functional and occupational outcomes from a prospective, randomized multicenter trial. Abstractbook Spineweek Geneva C74: 46.