1. United Nations. Geneva: United Nations Human Rights, Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights; 1989. United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. [cited 2011 June 2]. Available from: http://www2.ohchr.org/english/law/pdf/crc.pdf.
3. Arnstein S. A ladder of citizen participation. J Am I Planners. 1969;35:216–24.
4. Shier H. Pathways to participation: openings, opportunities and obligations. Child Soc. 2001;15:107–17.
5. MacDonald JA, Gagnon AJ, Mitchell C, Di Meglio G, Rennick JE, Cox J. Include them and they will tell you: learnings from a participatory process with youth. Qual Health Res. 2011;21:1127–35. [PubMed]
6. Mason J, Hood S. Exploring issues of children as actors in social research. Child Youth Serv Rev. 2011;33:490–5.
7. Wang CC. Youth participation in photovoice as a strategy for community change. J Commun Prac. 2006;14:147–61.
8. Findholt NE, Michael YL, Davis MM. Photovoice engages rural youth in childhood obesity prevention. Public Health Nurs. 2010;28:186–92. [PubMed]
9. Cheney KE. Children as ethnographers: reflections on the importance of participatory research in assessing orphans’ needs. Childhood. 2011;18:166–79.
10. Linnan LA, Lopez M, Moore DS, Daniel M, McAlister E, Wang C. Power of Photovoice: Voices of the ‘voice-less’ in the aftermath of Hurricane Floyd. Abstract #27096. Atlanta: The 129th Annual Meeting of the American Public Health Association; 2001. [cited 2011 June 2]. Available from: http://apha.confex.com/apha/129am/techprogram/paper_27096.htm. 11. Wang C, Burris MA. Empowerment through Photo Novella: portraits of participation. Health Educ Q. 1994;21:171–86. [PubMed] 12. Wang CC, Burris MA. Photovoice: concept, methodology, and use for participatory needs assessment. Health Educ Behav. 1997;24:369–87. [PubMed] 13. Moffitt P, Vollman AR. Photovoice: picturing the health of aboriginal women in a remote northern community. Can J Nurs Res. 2004;36:189–201. [PubMed] 14. Castleden H, Garvin T. Huu-ay-aht First Nation. Modifying Photovoice for community-based participatory Indigenous research. Soc Sci Med. 2008;66:1393–405. [PubMed]
15. Healey GK, Magner KM, Ritter R, Kamookak R, Aningmiuq A, Issaluk B, et al. Community perspectives on the impact of climate change on health in Nunavut, Canada. Arctic. 2011;64:89–97.
16. Wang CC, Morrel-Samuels S, Hutchison PM, Bell L, Pestronk RM. Flint photovoice: Community building among youths, adults, and policymakers. Am J Public Health. 2004;94:911–3. [PubMed] 17. Strack RW, Magill C, McDonagh K. Engaging youth through photovoice. Health Promot Pract. 2004;5:49–58. [PubMed]
18. Wilson N, Dasho S, Martin AC, Wallerstein N, Wang CC, Minkler M. Engaging young adolescents in social action through photovoice: the Youth Empowerment Strategies (YES!) Project. J Early Adolesc. 2007;27:241–61.
19. Vaughn LM, Rojas-Guyler L, Howell B. “Picturing’’ health: a photovoice pilot of Latina girls’ perceptions of health. Fam Commun Health. 2008;31:305–16. [PubMed]
20. Gant LM, Shimshock K, Allen-Meares P, Smith L, Miller P, Hollingsworth LA, et al. Effects of photovoice: civic engagement among older youth in urban communities. J Commun Prac. 2009;17:358–76.
21. Woodgate RL, Leach J. Youth's perspectives on the determinants of health. Qual Health Res. 2010;20:1173–82. [PubMed] 22. Foster-Fishman PG, Law KM, Lichty LF, Aoun C. Youth ReACT for social change: a method for youth participatory action research. Am J Commun Psychol. 2010;46:67–83. [PubMed]
23. Green E, Kloos B. Facilitating youth participation in a context of forced migration: a Photovoice project in northern Uganda. J Refug Stud. 2009;22:461–82.
24. Wilson N, Minkler M, Dasho S, Carillo R, Wallerstien N, Garcia D. Training students as facilitators in the Youth Empowerment Strategies (YES!) project. J Commun Prac. 2006;14:201–17.
25. Jardine CG, Furgal C. Ottawa: Health Canada Health Policy Research Program; 2006. Factors affecting the communication and understanding of known and potential/theoretical risks to health in northern Aboriginal communities; p. 178. + App.
28. Retnakaran R, Hanley AJG, Connelly PW, Harris SB, Zinman B. Cigarette smoking and cardiovascular risk factors among Aboriginal Canadian youths. CMAJ. 2005;173:885–9. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 30. Wang CC, Redwood-Jones Y. Photovoice ethics: perspectives from flint photovoice. Health Educ Behav. 2001;28:560–72. [PubMed] 31. Horsburgh D. Evaluation of qualitative research. J Clin Nurs. 2003;12:307–12. [PubMed]
32. Guba EG, Lincoln YS. Fourth generation evaluation. Newbury Park: Sage; 1989. p. 294.
33. Daly K. Re-placing theory in ethnography: a postmodern view. Qual Inq. 1997;3:343–65.
34. Lincoln YS, Guba EG. Naturalistic inquiry. Newbury Park: Sage; 1985. p. 419.
35. Eagly A, Chaiken S. The psychology of attitudes. Orlando: Harcourt Brace-Jovanovich, Inc; 1993. p. 794.
36. Greenwald AG. Cognitive learning, cognitive response to persuasion, and attitude change. In: Greenwald AG, Brock TC, Ostrom TM, editors. Psychological foundations of attitudes. San Diego: Academic Press; 1968. pp. 147–70.
37. Petty RE, Cacioppo JT, Goldman R. Personal involvement as a determinant of argument-based persuasion. J Pers Soc Psychol. 1981;41:847–55.
38. Ross L. Sustaining youth participation in a long-term tobacco control initiative: consideration of a social justice perspective. Youth Soc. 2011;43:681–704.
39. Festinger L. A theory of cognitive dissonance. Evanston: Row, Peterson; 1957. p. 293.
40. Varcoe C, Bottorff JL, Carey J, Sullivan D, Williams W. Wisdom and influence of elders: possibilities for health promotion and decreasing tobacco exposure in First Nations communities. Can J Public Health. 2010;101:154–8. [PubMed]
41. Morrow V, Richards M. The ethics of social research with children: an overview. Child Soc. 1996;10:90–105.
42. Canadian Institutes of Health Research. CIHR guidelines for health research involving Aboriginal people. Ottawa: Canadian Institutes of Health Research; 2007. p. 44.
43. Godel J. Use and misuse of tobacco among Aboriginal peoples – Update 2006. Paediatr Child Health. 2006;11:681–5.
44. Checkoway BN, Gutierrez LM. Youth participation and community change: an introduction. J Commun Prac. 2006;14:1–9.
45. Suleiman AB, Soleimanpour S, London J. Youth action for health through youth-led research. J Commun Prac. 2006;14:125–45.
46. Viswanathan M, Ammerman A, Eng E, Gartlehner G, Lohr KN, Griffith D. AHRQ Publication No. 04-E022-2. Rockville: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, US Department of Health and Human Services; 2004. Community-based participatory research: assessing the evidence; p. 109. +App.