2. Lobstein T, Jackson-Leach R. Child overweight and obesity in the USA: prevalence rates according to IOTF definitions. Int J Pediatr Obes. 2007;2(1):62–64. [PubMed] 5. J Jha P, Chaloupka FJ, Corrao M, Jacob B. Reducing the burden of smoking world-wide: effectiveness of interventions and their coverage. Drug Alcohol Rev. 2006;25:597–609. [PubMed] 6. Levy DT, Mabry PL, Graham AL, Orleans CT, Abrams DB. Reaching Healthy People 2010 by 2013: A SimSmoke simulation. Am J Prev Med. 2010;38(3 Suppl):S373–S381. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 7. Swinburn B, Sacks G, Hall KD, McPherson K, Finegood DT, Moodie M, Gortmaker S. The global obesity pandemic: shaped by global drivers and local vironments. Lancet Obesity Series Paper 1 [PubMed]
8. Cutler DM, Glaeser EL, Shapiro JM. Why have Americans become more obese? J Econ Perspect. 2003;17:93–118.
9. McCrory MA, Suen VM, Roberts SB. Biobehavioral influences on energy intake and adult weight gain. J Nutr. 2002;132:S3830–S3834. [PubMed] 10. Prentice A, Jebb S. Energy intake/physical activity interactions in the homeostasis of body weight regulation. Nutr Rev. 2004;62:S98–S104. [PubMed] 11. Hall KD, Guo J, Dore M, Chow CC. The progressive increase of food waste in America and its environmental impact. PLoS One. 2009;4:e7940. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 12. Bleich S, Cutler D, Murray C, Adams A. Why is the developed world obese? Annu Rev Publ Health. 2008;29:273–295. [PubMed]
13. Food marketing to children and youth: Threat or opportunity? Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2006. Institute of Medicine, Committee on Food Marketing and the Diets of Children and Youth, Food and Nutrition Board.
14. Cairns G, Angus K, Hastings G. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2009. The extent, nature and effects of food promotion to children: a review of the evidence to December 2008.
15. Goris JM, Petersen S, Stamatakis E, Veerman JL. Television food advertising and the prevalence of childhood overweight and obesity: a multicountry comparison. Public Health Nutr. 2010;13:1003–1012. [PubMed] 17. Bouchard C. Gene-environment interactions in the etiology of obesity: defining the fundamentals. Obesity. 2008;16(Supplement 3s):S5–S10. [PubMed] 18. Ahmed F. Epigenetics: tales of adversity. Nature. 2010;468(7327):S20. [PubMed]
19. David Kessler. The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite. MacMillan. 2009
20. Sallis JF. Age-related decline in physical activity: a synthesis of human and animal studies. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2000;32:1598–1600. [PubMed] 22. Lang T, Rayner G. Overcoming policy cacophony on obesity: an ecological public health framework for policymakers. Ob Rev. 2007;8(S1):165–181. [PubMed]
23. Finegood DT. The Complex Systems Science of Obesity. In: Cawley J, editor. Handbook of the Social Science of Obesity. Oxford University Press; 2011. (in press)
24. Levy DT, Mabry PL, Wang YC, Gortmaker S, Huang TT-K, Marsh T, Moodie M, Swinburn B. Simulation Models of Obesity: A Review of the Literature and Implications for Research and Policy. Obes Rev. 2010;12:378–394. [PubMed]
25. Hall KD, Sacks G, Chandramohan D, Chow CC, Wang YC, Gortmaker S, Swinburn B. Quantifying the effect of energy imbalance on body weight change. Lancet Obesity Series Paper 3
26. Wang YC, McPherson K, Marsh T, Gortmaker S, Brown M. Health and economic burden of the projected obesity trends in the US and the UK. Lancet Obesity Series Paper 2 [PubMed] 27. Finucane MM, Stevens GA, Cowan MJ, Danaei G, Lin JK, Paciorek CJ, Singh GM, Gutierrez HR, Lu Y, Bahalim AN, Farzadfar F, Riley LM, Ezzati M. Global Burden of Metabolic Risk Factors of Chronic Diseases Collaborating Group (Body Mass Index). National, regional, and global trends in body-mass index since 1980: systematic analysis of health examination surveys and epidemiological studies with 960 country-years and 9·1 million participants. Lancet. 2011 Feb 12;377:557–567. [PubMed] 28. Gracey M, King M. Indigenous health part 1: determinants and disease patterns. Lancet. 2009 Jul 4;374:65–75. [PubMed] 29. Flegal KM, Ogden CL, Yanovski JA, Freedman DS, Shepherd JA, Graubard BI, Borrud LG. High adiposity and high body mass index-for-age in US children and adolescents overall and by race-ethnic group. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010;91:1020–1026. [PubMed] 30. Flegal KM, Carroll MD, Ogden CL, Curtin LR. Prevalence and trends in obesity among US adults, 1999–2008. JAMA. 2010;303:235–241. [PubMed] 31. Subramanian SV, Perkins JM, Özaltin E, Davey Smith G. Weight of nations: a socioeconomic analysis of women in low- to middle-income countries. Am J Clin Nutr. 2011 Feb;93:413–421. [PubMed] 32. Rokholm B, Baker JL, Sørensen TI. The levelling off of the obesity epidemic since the year 1999--a review of evidence and perspectives. Obes Rev. 2010 Dec;11:835–846. [PubMed] 33. Whitlock G, Lewington S, Sherliker P, Clarke R, Emberson J, Halsey J, Qizilbash N, Collins R, Peto R. Prospective Studies Collaboration. Body-mass index and cause-specific mortality in 900 000 adults: collaborative analyses of 57 prospective studies. Lancet. 2009 Mar 28;373:1083–1096. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 34. Olshansky SJ, Passaro DJ, Hershow RC, Layden J, Carnes BA, Brody J, Hayflick L, Butler RN, Allison DB, Ludwig DS. A potential decline in life expectancy in the United States in the 21st century. N Engl J Med. 2005 Mar 17;352:1138–1145. [PubMed] 35. Stewart ST, Cutler DM, Rosen AB. Forecasting the effects of obesity and smoking on U.S. life expectancy. N Engl J Med. 2009 Dec 3;361:2252–2260. [PubMed] 36. Howard DH, Thorpe KE, Busch SH. Understanding recent increases in chronic disease treatment rates: more disease or more detection? Health Econ Policy Law. 2010 Oct;5:411–435. [PubMed] 37. Finkelstein EA, Trogdon JG, Brown DS, Allaire BT, Dellea PS, Kamal-Bahl SJ. The lifetime medical cost burden of overweight and obesity: implications for obesity prevention. Obesity. 2008 Aug;16:1843–1848. [PubMed] 38. Kelly T, Yang W, Chen C-S, et al. Global burden of obesity in 2005 and projections to 2030. Int J Obes. 2008;32:1431–1437. [PubMed] 39. Lightwood J, Bibbins-Domingo K, Coxson P, Wang YC, Williams L, Goldman L. Forecasting the future economic burden of current adolescent overweight: an estimate of the coronary heart disease policy model. Am J Public Health. 2009;99:2230–2237. [PubMed] 40. Eriksson J, Forsén T, Osmond C, Barker D. Obesity from cradle to grave. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2003 Jun;27:722–727. [PubMed] 41. Gillman MW, Rifas-Shiman SL, Kleinman K, Oken E, Rich-Edwards JW, Taveras EM. Developmental origins of childhood overweight: potential public health impact. Obesity. 2008 Jul;16:1651–1656. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 42. Van Cleave J, Gortmaker SL, Perrin JM. Dynamics of obesity and chronic health conditions among children and youth. JAMA. 2010 Feb 17;303:623–630. [PubMed]
43. Homer J, Milstein B, Dietz W, Buchner D, Majestic E. The Netherlands: Nijmegen; Jul, Obesity Population Dynamics: Exploring Historical Growth and Plausible Futures in the U.S. Paper presented at the 24th International System Dynamics Conference.
44. Seidell JC, Nooyens AJ, Visscher TL. Cost-effective measures to prevent obesity: epidemiological basis and appropriate target groups. Proc Nutr Soc. 2005;64:1–5. [PubMed] 45. Lobstein T, Baur L, Uauy R. IASO International Obesity Task Force. Obesity in children and young people: a crisis in public health. Obes Rev. 2004 May;5(1 Suppl):4–104. [PubMed]
46. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The Surgeon General’s Vision for a Healthy and Fit Nation. 2010
47. World Health Organization. Global Strategy on Diet, Physical Activity and Health: A Framework to Monitor and Evaluate Implementation. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2006. Global Strategy on Diet, Physical Activity and Health: A framework to monitor and evaluate implementation. Geneva, 2008. World Health Organization (WHO)
48. Beaglehole R, Ebrahim S, Reddy S, Voûte J, Leeder S. Chronic Disease Action Group. Prevention of chronic diseases: a call to action. Lancet. 2007 Dec 22;370:2152–2157. [PubMed] 49. Summerbell CD, Waters E, Edmunds L, Kelly SAM, Brown T, Campbell KJ. Interventions for preventing obesity in children. Cochrane Db Syst Rev. 2005;3:CD001871. [PubMed] 51. Thomas D, Elliott EJ, Baur L. Low glycaemic index or low glycaemic load diets for overweight and obesity. Cochrane Db Syst Rev. 2007;3:CD005105. [PubMed] 52. Shaw KA, Gennat HC, O’Rourke P, Del Mar C. Exercise for overweight or obesity. Cochrane Db Syst Rev. 2006;4:CD003817. [PubMed] 53. Padwal RS, Rucker D, Li SK, Curioni C, Lau DCW. Long-term pharmacotherapy for obesity and overweight. Cochrane Db Syst Rev. 2003;4:CD004094. [PubMed] 54. Colquitt JL, Picot J, Loveman E, Clegg AJ. Surgery for obesity. Cochrane Db Syst Rev. 2009;2:CD003641. [PubMed] 55. Norris SL, Zhang X, Avenell A, Gregg E, Schmid CH, Lau J. Long-term non-pharmacological weight loss interventions for adults with prediabetes. Cochrane Db Syst Rev. 2005;2:CD005270. [PubMed] 56. Oude Luttikhuis H, Baur L, Jansen H, Shrewsbury VA, O’Malley C, Stolk RP, Summerbell CD. Interventions for treating obesity in children. Cochrane Db Syst Rev. 2009;1:CD001872. [PubMed] 57. Hoehner CM, Soares J, Parra Perez D, Ribeiro IC, Joshu CE, Pratt M, Legetic BD, Malta DC, Matsudo VR, Ramos LR, Simões EJ, Brownson RC. Physical activity interventions in Latin America: a systematic review. Am J Prev Med. 2008 Mar;34:224–233. [PubMed]
58. Irizarry Laura M, Rivera Juan A. Developing countries perspective on interventions to prevent overweight and obesity in children. In: Waters Elizabeth, Swinburn Boyd, Seidell Jacob, Uauy Ricardo., editors. Preventing Childhood Obesity: Evidence Policy and Practice. Blackwell Publishing, Ltd; 2010.
59. Reilly JJ, McDowell ZC. Physical activity interventions in the prevention and treatment of paediatric obesity: systematic review and critical appraisal. P Nut Soc. 2003;62:611–619. [PubMed] 60. Ciampa PJ, Kumar D, Barkin SL, Sanders LM, Yin HS, Perrin EM, Rothman RL. Interventions aimed at decreasing obesity in children younger than 2 years: a systematic review. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2010;164:1098–1104. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 61. Flodmark CE, Marcus C, Britton M. Interventions to prevent obesity in children and adolescents: a systematic literature review. Int Journal Obesity. 2006;30:579–589. [PubMed]
62. Crowle J, Turner E. Childhood Obesity: An Economic Perspective. Melbourne: Productivity Commission Staff Working Paper; 2010.
63. Shadish WR, Cook TD, Campbell DT. Experimental and quasi-experimental designs for generalized causal inference. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company; 2002.
64. Institute of Medicine. Bridging the Evidence Gap in Obesity Prevention: A Framework to Inform Decision Making. Washington, DC: The National Academy Press; 2010.
65. McKinnon RA, Orleans CT, Kumanyika SK, Haire-Joshu D, Krebs-Smith SM, Finkelstein EA, Brownell KD, Thompson JW, Ballard-Barbash R. Considerations for an obesity policy research agenda. Am J Prev Med. 2009 Apr;36:351–357. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
66. Moodie M, Carter R. Economic evaluation of obesity interventions. Chapter. In: Waters E, Seidell J, Swinburn B, Uauy R, editors. Community-based obesity prevention: evidence, practice and policy. Blackwell Publishing; 2010.
67. Thow AM, Jan S, Leeder S, Swinburn B. The effect of fiscal policy on diet, obesity and chronic disease: a systematic review. Bull World Health Organ. 2010 Aug 1;88:609–614. [PubMed] 68. Swinburn B, Gill T, Kumanyika S. Obesity prevention: a proposed framework for translating evidence into action. Obesity Rev. 2005;6:23–33. (2005) [PubMed] 71. Flegal KM, Carroll MD, Ogden CL, Curtin LR. Prevalence and trends in obesity among US adults, 1999–2008. JAMA. Jan 20;303:235–241. [PubMed] 72. Wang YC, Gortmaker SL, Sobol AM, Kuntz KM. Estimating the energy gap among US children: a counterfactual approach. Pediatrics. 2006;118:e1721–e1733. [PubMed] 73. Haby MM, Vos T, Carter R, Moodie M, Markwick A, Magnus A, Tay-Teo KS, Swinburn B. A new approach to assessing the health benefit from obesity interventions in children and adolescents: the assessing cost-effectiveness in obesity project. Int J Obes (Lond) 2006;30:1463–1475. [PubMed] 74. Vos T, Carter R, Barendregt J, Mihalopoulos C, Veerman L, Magnus A, Cobiac L, Bertram M, Wallace A. Assessing Cost-Effectiveness in Prevention (ACE– Prevention): Final Report September 2010. Melbourne: University of Queensland, Brisbane and Deakin University; [accessed April 18, 2011]. http://www.sph.uq.edu.au/docs/BODCE/ACE-P/ACE-Prevention_final_report.pdf. 75. Carter R, Moodie M, Markwick A, Magnus A, Vos T, Swinburn B, Haby MM. Assessing cost-effectiveness in obesity (ACE-obesity): an overview of the ACE approach, economic methods and cost results. BMC Public Health. 2009;9:419. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 76. Carter R, Vos T, Moodie M, Haby M, Magnus A, Mihalopoulos C. Priority setting in health: Origins, description and application of the Assessing Cost Effectiveness (ACE) Initiative. Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res. 2008;8:593–617. [PubMed]
77. Hawe P, Shiell A. Preserving innovation under increasing accountability pressures: the health promotion investment portfolio approach. Health Promot J Aust. 1995;5:4–9.
78. Rychetnik L, Frommer M, Hawe P, Shiell A. Criteria for evaluating evidence on public health interventions. J Epidemiol Commun H. 2002;56:119–127. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
79. Loxley W, Toumbourou JW, Stockwell T, et al. The Prevention of Substance Use, Risk and Harm in Australia: A Review of the Evidence. Canberra: National Drug Research Centre and The Centre for Adolescent Health; 2004.
80. NHMRC National Breast Cancer Centre Psychosocial Working Group. Guidelines for the Treatment, Support and Counselling of Women With Breast Cancer. Canberra: NHMRC National Breast Cancer Centre Psychosocial Working Group; 2000.
81. George B, Harris A, Mitchell A. Cost-effectiveness analysis and the consistency of decision making. Evidence from pharmaceutical reimbursement in Australia (1991– 1996) Pharmacoeconomics. 2001;19:1103–1109. [PubMed]
82. Australian Health Ministers’ Advisory Council. Australian Institute of Health: Prevention Program Evaluation Series No. 1. AGPS Canberra: Australian Institute of Health; 1990. Breast cancer screening in Australia: future directions.
83. Magnus A, Haby MM, Carter R, Swinburn B. The cost-effectiveness of removing television advertising of high-fat and/or high-sugar food and beverages to Australian children. Int J Obes (Lond) 2009;33:1094–1102. [PubMed] 84. Sacks G, Veerman L, Moodie M, Swinburn B. Traffic-light' nutrition labelling and 'junk-food' tax: a modelled comparison of cost-effectiveness for obesity prevention. Int J Obes (London) 2010 Nov 16; epub ahead of print. [PubMed]
85. Sassi F. Obesity and the economics of prevention: fit not fat. Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. 2010
86. Vartanian LR, Schwartz MB, Brownell KD. Effects of soft drink consumption on nutrition and health: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Public Health. 2007;97:667–675. [PubMed] 87. Bleich SN, Wang YC, Wang Y, Gortmaker SL. Increasing consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages among US adults: 1988–94 to 199–2004. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009;89:372–381. [PubMed] 88. Wang YC, Bleich SN, Gortmaker SL. Increasing caloric contribution from sugar-sweetened beverages and 100% fruit juices among US children and adolescents, 1988–2004. Pediatrics. 2008;121:e1604–e1614. [PubMed] 89. Brownell K, Chaloupka FJ, Thompson JW, Ludwig DS. The public health and economic benefits of taxing sugar-sweetened beverages. N Engl J Med. 2009;361:1599–1605. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
90. Chou S-Y, Rashad I, Grossman M. Fast-food restaurant advertising on television and its influence on childhood obesity. J Law Econ. 2008;51:599–618.
91. Sassi F, Cecchini M, Lauer J, Chisholm D. OECD Health Working Paper No. 48: Improving Lifestyles, Tackling Obesity: The Health and Economic Impact of Prevention Strategies. 2009
92. Cecchini M, Sassi F, Lauer JA, Lee YY, Guajardo-Barron V, Chisholm D. Tackling of unhealthy diets, physical inactivity, and obesity: health effects and cost-effectiveness. Lancet. 2010;376:1775–1784. [PubMed] 93. Trueman P, Haynes SM, Felicity Lyons G, Louise McCombie E, McQuigg MS, Mongia S, Noble PA, Quinn MF, Ross HM, Thompson F, Broom JI, Laws RA, Reckless JP, Kumar S, Lean ME, Frost GS, Finer N, Haslam DW, Morrison D, Sloan B. Counterweight Project Team. Long-term cost-effectiveness of weight management in primary care. Int J Clin Pract. 2010;64:775–783. [PubMed] 94. Loveman E, Frampton GK, Shepherd J, Picot J, Cooper K, Bryant J, Welch K, Clegg A. The clinical effectiveness and cost effectiveness of long-term weight management schemes for adults: a systematic review. Health Technology Assessment. 2011;15:1–182. [PubMed] 95. van Baal PH, van den Berg M, Hoogenveen RT, Vijgen SM, Engelfriet PM. Cost-effectiveness of a low-calorie diet and orlistat for obese persons: modeling long-term health gains through prevention of obesity-related chronic diseases. Value Health. 2008;11:1033–1040. [PubMed]
96. Head BW. Wicked problems in public policy. Public Policy. 2008;3:101–108.
97. World Health Organisation. Geneva: World Health Organisation; 2008. 2008–2013 Action Plan for the global strategy for the prevention and control of noncommunicable diseases.
98. Sacks G, Swinburn B, Lawrence M. Obesity Policy Action framework and analysis grids for a comprehensive policy approach to reducing obesity. Obes Rev. 2009;10:76–86. [PubMed] 99. Sacks G, Swinburn B, Lawrence M. A systematic policy approach to changing the food system and physical activity environments to prevent obesity. Australia and New Zealand Health Policy. 2008;5:13. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
100. World Cancer Research Fund / American Institute for Cancer Research. A Global Perspective, 2007. Washington, DC: American Institute for Cancer Research; 2007. Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity, and the Prevention of Cancer.
101. Koplan J, Liverman C, Kraak V, editors. Preventing Childhood Obesity: Health in the Balance. Washington, DC, USA: Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, The National Academies Press; 2005.
102. World Health Organisation. Interventions on diet and physical activity: what works. Geneva: World Health Organisation; 2009.
103. WHO. Report of the WHO Forum and Technical Meeting. Geneva: WHO; 2010. Population-based prevention strategies for childhood obesity.
104. Beaglehole R, Bonita R, Horton R, Adams C, Alleyne G, Asaria P, Baugh V, Bekedam H, Billo N, Casswell S, Cecchini M, Colagiuri R, Colagiuri S, Collins T, Ebrahim S, Engelgau M, Galea G, Gaziano T, Geneau R, Haines A, Hospedales J, Jha P, Keeling A, Leeder S, Lincoln P, McKee M, Mackay J, Magnusson R, Moodie R, Mwatsama M, Nishtar S, Norrving B, Patterson D, Piot P, Ralston J, Rani M, Reddy KS, Sassi F, Sheron N, Stuckler D, Suh I, Torode J, Varghese C, Watt J. The Lancet NCD Action Group and the NCD Alliance. Priority actions for the non-communicable disease crisis. Lancet. 2011;377:1438–1447. [PubMed]
105. World Health Organization. Center for Health Development. Intersectoral Action on Health: Impact on noncommunicable diseases through diet and physical activity Report of an Expert Consultation 6–7 September 2010
106. Cattaneo A, Monasta L, Stamatakis E, Lioret S, Castetbon K, Frenken F, Manios Y, Moschonis G, Savva S, Zaborskis A, Rito AI, Nanu M, Vignerová J, Caroli M, Ludvigsson J, Koch FS, Serra-Majem L, Szponar L, van Lenthe F, Brug J. Overweight and obesity in infants and pre-school children in the European Union: a review of existing data. Obes Rev. 2010;11:389–398. [PubMed] 107. Let’s Move: America’s move to raise a healthier generation of kids. [accessed April 18, 2011]; http://www.letsmove.gov.
110. World Health Organisation. Global burden of disease 2004 update. Geneva: World Health Organisation; 2008.
111. Stuckler D, King L, Robinson H, McKee M. WHO’s budgetary allocations and burden of disease: a comparative analysis. Lancet. 2008;372:1563–1569. [PubMed] 112. Yach D, Khan M, Bradley D, Hargrove R, Kehoe S, Mensah G. The role and challenges of the food industry in addressing chronic disease. Globalisation and Health. 2010;6:10. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 113. Ananthapavan J, Moodie M, Haby M, Carter R. Assessing cost-effectiveness in obesity: laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding for severely obese adolescents. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2010;6:377–385. [PubMed] 114. Moodie M, Haby M, Wake M, Gold L, Carter R. ACE: Obesity - Cost-effectiveness of a family-based GP-mediated intervention targeting overweight and moderately obese children. Econ Hum Biol. 2008;6:363–376. [PubMed] 115. Moodie M, Carter R, Swinburn B, Haby M. The cost-effectiveness of Australia’s Active After-School Communities Program. Obesity. 2010;8:1585–1592. [PubMed]