1. Byock I. The meaning and value of death. J Pall Med. 2002;5:279–288. [PubMed] 2. Block SD. Psychological issues in end-of-life care. J Pall Med. 2006;9:751–772. [PubMed]
3. Becker E. The denial of death. Free Press; 1973.
4. Chochinov HM, Hack T, Hassard T, Kristjanson LJ, McClement S, Harlos M. Dignity therapy: a novel psychotherapeutic intervention for patients near the end of life. J Clin Onc. 2005;23(24):5520–5. [PubMed] 5. Block SD. Psychological considerations, growth, and transcendence at the end-of-life: the art of the possible. JAMA. 2001;285(22):2898–2905. [PubMed]
6. Roberts LJ, Wise M, DuBenske L. Compassionate caregiving in the light and shadow of death. In: Fehr B, Sprecher S, Underwood L, editors. The Science of Compassionate Love: Research, Theory and Application. Blackwell Publishers; 2008. pp. 311–344.
7. Kierkegaard SK. In: The sickness unto death. Translated. Lowrie W, editor. Doubleday; New York: 1954.
8. Frankl VE. Man’s search for meaning. Hodder & Stoughton; London, England: 1964.
9. Kuebler-Ross E. On death and dying. Collier Books/Macmillan Publishing Co.; 1970.
10. Tedeschi RG, Calhoun LG. The posttraumatic growth inventory: Measuring the positive legacy of trauma. J Trauma Stress. 1996;9(3):455–471. [PubMed] 11. Carpenter JS, Brockopp DY, Andrykowski MA. Self-transformation as a factor in the self-esteem and well-being of breast cancer survivors. J Adv Nurs. 1999;29(6):1402–11. [PubMed] 12. Cordova M, Cunningham L, Carlson C, Andrykowski M. Posttraumatic growth following breast cancer: a controlled comparison study. Health Psych. 2001;20(3):176–185. [PubMed] 13. Bellizzi KM. Expressions of generativity and posttraumatic growth in adult cancer survivors. Intl J Aging Human Devel. 2004;58(4):267–288. [PubMed]
14. Yalom I. Existential psychotherapy. Basic Books; New York, NY: 1980.
16. Classen C, Butler L, Koopman C, et al. Supportive-expressive group therapy and distress in patients with metastatic breast cancer. Arch Gen Psych. 2001;58:494–501. [PubMed]
18. Spiegel D, Classen C. Group Therapy for Cancer Patients. Basic Books; New York: 2000.
19. Spiegel D, Bloom JR, Kraemer HC, Gottheil Effect of psychosocial treatment on survival of patients with metastatic breast cancer. Lancet. 1989;2:888–891. [PubMed] 20. Breitbart W, Heller KS. Reframing hope: meaning-centered care for patients near the end of life. Innovations in End-of-Life Care. 2002;4(6) www.edc.org/lastacts [PubMed]
21. Frank A. The Wounded Storyteller. University of Chicago Press; Chicago: 1995.
22. Kleinman A. The Illness Narratives: Suffering, Healing, and the Human Condition. Basic Books; New York: 1988. [PubMed] 23. McQuellon RP, Cowan MA. Turning toward death together: conversations in mortal time. Am J Hospice Pall Care. 2000;17:312–318. [PubMed]
24. Keeley MP. “Turning Toward Death Together”: The Functions of Messages during Final conversations in close relationships. J Soc Pers Rel. 2007;24:225–253.
25. Polkinghorne DE. Transformative narratives: From passive to agentic life plots. American Jlf Occup Therapy. 1996;50(4):299–305. [PubMed] 26. Butler R. The life review: an interpretation of reminiscence in the aged. Psychiatry. 1963;26:65–76. [PubMed]
28. Erikson EM. Childhood and Society. 2nd Ed. W. W. Norton & Co.; New York: 1963. The eight stages of man; pp. 247–74. ch. 7.
29. Erikson EH, Erikson JM, Kivnick HQ. Vital Involvement in Old Age. W. W. Norton & Company; New York: 1986.
30. Ezzy D. Illness narratives: time, hope, and HIV. Soc Sci Med. 2000;50(5):605–617. [PubMed] 31. Carlick A, Biley FC. Thoughts on the therapeutic use of narrative in the promotion of coping with cancer. Eur J Can Care. 2004;13:308–317. [PubMed] 32. Pennebaker JW. Telling stories: the health benefits of narrative. Lit & Med. 2000;19(1):3–18. [PubMed]
33. Radley A. The aesthetics of illness: narrative, horror and the sublime. Sociol Health Ill. 1999;21(6):778–796.
34. Labouvie-Vief G. Wisdom as integrated thought: Historical and developmental perspectives. In: Sternberg R, editor. Wisdom: It’s Nature, Origins, and Development. Cambridge University Press; New York: 1990. pp. 52–85.
35. Plexus Institute Stories: Complexity in action. Plexus Institute; Allentown, New Jersey: Apr 22, 2008. 08501. www.plexusinstitute.com. 36. Kreuter M, Green M, Cappella JN, Slater MD, Wise M, Storey D, Clark EM, O’Keefe DJ, Erwin DO, Holmes K, Hinyard LJ, Houston T, Wooley S. Narrative communication in cancer prevention and control: a framework to guide research and application. Ann Behav Med. 2007;33(3):221–235. [PubMed]
37. Dominice P. Learning from Our Lives. Jossey Bass; San Francisco: 2000.
38. Davis MC. Life review therapy as an intervention to manage depression and enhance life satisfaction in individuals with right hemisphere cerebral vascular accidents. Issues in Mental Health Nursing. 2004;25:503–515. [PubMed] 39. Mastel-Smith B, McFarlane J, Sierpina M, Malecha A, Haile B. Improving depressive symptoms in community-dwelling older adults: a psychosocial intervention using life using life review and writing. J Geront Nurs. 2007:13–19. [PubMed] 40. Smyth JM, Stone AA, Hurewitz A, Kaell A. Effects of writing about stressful experiences on symptom reduction in patients with asthma or rheumatoid arthritis. JAMA. 1999;28:1304–1309. [PubMed] 41. Shapiro J, Ross V. Applications of narrative theory and therapy to the practice of family medicine. Fam Med. 2002;34(2):96–100. [PubMed] 42. Marchand L, Kushner K. Death pronouncements: surviving and thriving through stories. Fam Med. 2004;36(10):702–704. [PubMed] 43. Charon R. Narrative and medicine. New Engl J Med. 2004;350(9):862–4. [PubMed] 44. Chochinov HM. Dignity-conserving care—a new model for palliative care: helping the patient feel valued. JAMA. 2002;28(17):2253–2260. [PubMed]
45. Chochinov HM. Computer Retrieval of Information on Scientific Projects. CRISP; Dignity intervention for terminally ill cancer patients CRISP. 1R01CA102201-01A1.
47. Shaw B, Gustafson D, Hawkins R, McTavish F, McDowell H, Pingree S, Ballard D. How underserved breast cancer patients use and benefit from eHealth programs: implications for closing the digital divide. Am Behav Sci. 2006;49(6):823–834.
48. Wise M, Gustafson DH, Sorkness C, Molfenter T, Meis T, Staresinic A, Shanovich KK, Walker NP. Internet telehealth for pediatric asthma case management: developing integrated computerized and case manager features for tailoring a web-based asthma education program. Health Prom Pract. 2007;8(3):282–291. DOI: 10.1177/1524839906289983. PMCID: PMC2366971. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 49. Gustafson DH, Hawkins R, Boberg EW, McTavish F, Owens B, Wise M, Berhe H, Pingree S. CHESS: ten years of research and development in consumer health informatics for populations, including the underserved. Intl J Med Informatics. 2002;65:169–177. 2002. [PubMed] 50. Wise M, Han JY, Shaw B, McTavish M, Gustafson DH. The effects of narrative and didactic information on healthcare participation for breast cancer patients. Pat Educ Counsel. 2008;70(3):348–356. [PMCID: PMC2367096] [PMC free article] [PubMed] 51. Wise M, Gustafson DH, Sorkness C, Molfenter T, Meis T, Staresinic A, Shanovich KK, Walker NP. Internet telehealth for pediatric asthma case management: developing integrated computerized and case manager features for tailoring a web-based asthma education program. Health Prom Pract. 2007;8(3):282–291. DOI: 10.1177/1524839906289983. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 52. Ryff C, Singer B. Psychological well being: Meaning, measurement, and implications for psychotherapy research. Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics. 1996;65:14–23. [PubMed]
54. Strauss A. Qualitative Analysis for Social Scientists. Cambridge University Press; Cambridge, England: 1987.
55. Bruner J. The narrative construction of reality. Critical Inquiry. 1991;18:1–21.
56. Charmaz K. In: Health, Illness and Healing: Society, Social Context, and Self. Charmaz K, Paterniti DA, editors. Roxbury Publishing Company; Los Angeles, CA: 1998. 1999. Ch 9.
57. Pennebaker JW. Telling stories: the health benefits of narrative. Lit & Med. 2000;19:3–18. [PubMed] 58. Monti DA, Peterson C, Kunkel EJS, Hauck WW, Pequignot E, Rhodes L, Brainard JC. A randomized, controlled trial of mindfulness-based art therapy (MBAT) for women with cancer. Psycho-Oncology. 2006;15(5):363–373. [PubMed] 59. Parker PA, Carl de Moor WF, Cohen Ll. Psychosocial and demographic predictors of quality of life in a large sample of cancer patients. Psycho-Oncology. 2003;12(2):183–193. 2003. [PubMed]
60. Bergin M. [accessed April 22, 2008];New Projects Help Terminally Ill Patients Share Life Stories. The Capital Times. 2007 Oct 24;