1. Jaffe HW, Valdiserri RO, De Cock KM. The re-emerging HIV/AIDS epidemic in Men who have Sex with Men. JAMA. 2007;298:2412–4. [PubMed]
3. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention HIV/AIDS Surveillance Report, 2009. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; Atlanta, GA: 2011.
5. Tydén T, Rogala C. Sexual behaviour among men in Sweden and the impact of pornography. Int J STD AIDS. 2004;15:590–3. [PubMed]
6. Egan T. Erotica Inc. -- A special report: Technology sent Wall Street into market for pornography. NY Times. 2000 Oct 23;
7. Cooper A, Delmonico DL, Burg R. Cybersex users, abusers, and compulsives: New findings and implications. Sex Addct Compls. 2000;7:5–29.
8. Stulhofer A, Busko V, Landripet I. Pornography, sexual socialization and satisfaction among young men. Arch Sex Behav. 2008;39(1):168–78. [PubMed]
10. Watney S. Policing Desire - Pornography, AIDS and the Media. 3rd Edition University of Minnesota Press; Minneapolis, MN: 1996.
11. Linz D. Exposure to sexually explicit materials and attitudes towards rape. J Sex Res. 1989;26:50–84.
12. Atwood F. What do people do with porn? Qualitative research into the consumption, use and experience of pornography and other sexually explicit media. Sex Cult. 2005;9:65–86.
13. Brown JD, L'Engle KL. X-rated: Sexual attitudes and behaviors associated with U.S. early exposure to sexually explicit media. Communication Research. 2009;36:129–51.
14. Hald GM, Malamuth NM. Self-perceived effects of pornography consumption. Arch Sex Behav. 2008;37(4):614–25. [PubMed]
15. Brown B. Watney S, editor. A feminist interest in pornography - some modest proposals. Policing Desire. 1981.
16. Feree MC. Women and the web: Cybersex activity and implications. Sex Relat Thera. 2003;18(3):385–93.
17. Escoffier J. Gay-for-Pay: Straight men and the making of gay pornography. Qual Sociol. 2003;26(4):531–55.
18. Chen W. Web 547 is launched to combat pornography in cyberspace. China Times. 1999 Jul 22; Sect. 7.
19. Hapgood F. Sex sells, Inc. Technology. 1996;4:45–51.
21. Carroll JS, Padilla-Walker LM, Nelson LJ, Olson CD, Barry CN, Madsen SD. Pornography acceptance and use among emerging adults. J Adolescent Res. 2008;23(1):6–30.
22. Rich F. Naked capitalists. NY Times Mag. 2001 May 20; Sect. 51-5, 80-1, 92.
23. Thomas JA. Gay male video pornography: Past, present and future. In: Weitzer R, editor. Sex for sale: Prostitution, pornography, and the sex industry. Routledge; New York, NY: 2000. pp. 49–66.
24. Morrison TG, Morrison MA, Bradley BA. Correlates of gay men's self-reported exposure to pornography. Int J Sex Hlth. 2007;19(2):33–43.
25. Purcell DW, Johnson C, Lansky A, et al. Calculating HIV and syphilis rates for risk groups: Estimating the national population size of Men who have Sex with Men. Abstract# 22896.. Presented at the 2010 National STD Prevention Conference; Atlanta, GA. 2010.
26. Laumann EO, Gagnon JH, Michael RT, Michaels S. The social organization of sexuality: Sexual practices in the United States. University of Chicago Press; Chicago, IL: 1994.
27. Herbenick D, Reece M, Schick V, Sanders A, Dodge B, Fortenberry JD. Sexual behavior in the United States: Results from a national probability sample of men and women ages 14-94. J Sex Med. 2010;7(255-266) [PubMed]
28. Kuchment A, Springen K. The tangled web of porn in the office. Newsweek. 2008 Dec;8:14.
29. Zillmann D, Bryant J. Pornography, sexual callousness, and the trivialization of rape. J Community Health. 1982;32(4):10–21. [PubMed] 30. Paul B. Predicting internet pornography use and arousal: the role of individual difference variables. J Sex Res. 2009;46(4):344–57. [PubMed] 31. Wolak J, Ybarra ML, Mitchell K, Finkelhor D. Current research knowledge about adolescent victimization via the Internet. Adolescent Medicine State of the Art Review. 2007;18(2):325–41, xi. [PubMed] 32. Mitchell KJ, Wolak J, Finkelhor D. Trends in youth reports of sexual solicitations, harassment and unwanted exposure to pornography on the Internet. J Adolesc Health. 2007;40(2):116–26. [PubMed] 33. Jackson LA, Samona R, Moomaw J, et al. What children do on the Internet: domains visited and their relationship to socio-demographic characteristics and academic performance. Cyberpsychol Behav. 2007;10(2):182–90. [PubMed] 34. Albright JM. Sex in America online: an exploration of sex, marital status, and sexual identity in internet sex seeking and its impacts. J Sex Res. 2008;45(2):175–86. [PubMed] 35. Braun-Courville DK, Rojas M. Exposure to sexually explicit web sites and adolescent sexual attitudes and behaviors. J Adolesc Health. 2009;45(2):156–62. [PubMed] 36. Dowell EB, Burgess AW, Cavanaugh DJ. Clustering of internet risk behaviors in a middle school population. J Sch Health. 2009;79(11):547–53. [PubMed] 37. Mitchell KJ, Wells M. Problematic internet experiences: primary or secondary presenting problems in persons seeking mental health care? Soc Sci Med. 2007;65(6):1136–41. [PubMed] 38. Wolak J, Mitchell K, Finkelhor D. Unwanted and wanted exposure to online pornography in a national sample of youth Internet users. Pediatrics. 2007;119(2):247–57. [PubMed] 39. Ybarra ML, Mitchell KJ. Exposure to internet pornography among children and adolescents: a national survey. Cyberpsychol Behav. 2005;8(5):473–86. [PubMed] 40. Zillmann D. Influence of unrestrained access to erotica on adolescents’ and young adults’ dispositions toward sexuality. J Adolesc Health. 2000;27(Supp 2):41–4. [PubMed] 41. Odeyemi K, Onajole A, Ogunowo B. Sexual behavior and the influencing factors among out of school female adolescents in Mushin market, Lagos, Nigeria. Int J Adolesc Med Hlth. 2009;21(1):101–9. [PubMed] 42. Lofgren-Martenson L, Mansson SA. Lust, love, and life: a qualitative study of Swedish adolescents’ perceptions and experiences with pornography. J Sex Res. 2009;3:1–12. (Sept) [PubMed] 43. Hald GM, Malamuth NM, Yuen C. Pornography and attitudes supporting violence against women: revisiting the relationship in nonexperimental studies. Journal of Aggressive Behavior. 2010;36(1):14–20. [PubMed] 44. Haggstrom-Nordin E, Tyden T, Hanson U, Larsson M. Experiences of and attitudes towards pornography among a group of Swedish high school students. Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care. 2009;14(4):277–84. [PubMed] 45. Haggstrom-Nordin E, Hanson U, Tyden T. Associations between pornography consumption and sexual practices among adolescents in Sweden. Int J STD AIDS. 2005;16(2):102–7. [PubMed] 46. Haggstrom-Nordin E, Sandberg J, Hanson U, Tyden T. ‘It's everywhere!’ young Swedish people's thoughts and reflections about pornography. Scand J Caring Sci. 2006;20(4):386–93. [PubMed] 47. Hald GM. Gender differences in pornography consumption among young heterosexual Danish adults. Arch Sex Behav. 2006;35:577–85. [PubMed] 48. Lam CB, Chan DK. The use of cyberpornography by young men in Hong Kong: some psychosocial correlates. Arch Sex Behav. 2007;36(4):588–98. [PubMed] 49. Martin P. ‘These days virginity is just a feeling’: heterosexuality and change in young urban Vietnamese men. Cult Health Sex. 2010;12(Supp 1):S1–S18. [PubMed] 50. Palesh O, Saltzman K, Koopman C. Internet use and attitudes towards illicit internet use behavior in a sample of Russian college students. Cyberpsychol Behav. 2004;7(5):553–8. [PubMed] 51. Wallmyr G, Welin C, Wallmyr G, Welin C. Young people, pornography, and sexuality: sources and attitudes. J Sch Nurs. 2006;22(5):290–5. [PubMed]
52. Demare D, Lips H, Briere J. Sexually violent pornography, anti-women attitudes, and sexual aggression: a structural equation model. J Res Pers. 1993;1993(27):3. 285-300.
53. Gunther A. Overrating the X-rating: the third-person perception and support for censorship of pornography. J Commun. 1995;45(1):27–38.
54. Traeen B, Spinznogle K, Beverfjord A. Attitudes and use of pornography in the Norwegian population 2002. J Sex Res. 2004;41:193–200. [PubMed] 55. Petersen JL, Hyde JS. A meta-analytic review of research on gender differences in sexuality, 1993-2007. Psychol Bull. 2010;36(1):21–38. [PubMed]
56. Lewin B. Part 2: Pornography -- Attitudes and use. In: Lewin B, editor. Sex in Sweden. On the Swedish sexual life. National Institute of Public Health; Stockholm: 1997. pp. 252–63.
57. Peter J, Valkenburg PM. The use of sexual explicit internet material and its antecedents: A longitudinal comparison of adolescents and adults. Arch Sex Behav. 2011;40(5):1015–25. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 58. Traeen B, Nilsen TS, Stigum H. Use of pornography in traditional media and on the Internet in Norway. J Sex Res. 2006;43(3):245–54. [PubMed]
59. United States Council on Obscenity and Pornography Pornography: technical report of the Commission on Obscenity and Pornography. Washington, DC: 1971.
60. United States Government The [U.S.] Report of the Commission on Obscenity and Pornography. Second Ed. Bantam Books; New York, NY: 1970.
61. Bensimon P. The role of pornography in sexual offending. Sex Addct Compl. 2007;14(2):95–117.
62. Fisher WA, Barak A. Pornography, erotica, and behavior: more questions than answers. Int J Law Psychiatry. 1991;14(2):65–83. [PubMed]
63. Isaacs CR, Fisher WA. A computer-based educational intervention to address potential negative effects of Internet pornography. Commun Stud. 2008;59(1):1–18.
64. Kutchinsky B. Pornography and rape: Theory and practice? Evidence from crime data in four countries where pornography is easily available. Int J Law Psychiatry. 1991;14:47–64. [PubMed] 65. Weinberg MS, Williams CJ, Kleiner S, Irizarry Y. Pornography, normalization, and empowerment. Arch Sex Behav. 2010;39(6):1389–401. [PubMed]
66. Allen M, d'Alessio D, Brezgel K. A meta-analysis summarizing the effects of pornography II: Aggression after exposure. Hum Commun Res. 1995;22:258–83.
67. He N, Detels R, Chen Z, et al. Sexual behavior among employed male rural migrants in Shanghai, China. AIDS Educ Prev. 2006;18(2):176–86. [PubMed] 68. Kraus SW, Russell B. Early sexual experiences: the role of internet access and sexually explicit material. Cyberpsychol Behav. 2008;11(2):162–8. [PubMed] 69. Duggan SJ, McCreary DR. Body image, eating disorders, and the drive for mascularity in gay and heterosexual men: The influence of media images. J Homosex. 2004;47(3-4)(45-58) [PubMed] 70. Parsons JT, Kelly BC, Bimbi DS, Muench F, Morgenstern J. Accounting for the social triggers of sexual compulsivity. J Addict Dis. 2007;26:5–16. [PubMed] 71. Stein D, Silvera R, Hagerty R, Marmor M. Viewing pornography depicting unprotected anal intercourse: Are there implications for HIV prevention among men who have sex with men. Arch Sex Behav. 2011 online first: 14 July 2011. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 72. Hooper S, Rosser BRS, Horvath KJ, Oakes JM, Danilenko G., Men's INTernet Sex II (MINTS-II) Team An online needs assessment of a virtual community: What men who use the Internet to seek sex with men want in Internet-based HIV prevention. AIDS Behav. 2008;12:867–75. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
73. Lucas M. On gay porn. Yale Journal of Law and Feminism. 2006;18:299–302.
74. Kubicek K, Beyer WJ, Weiss G, Iverson E, Kipke MD. In the dark: young men's stories of sexual initiation in the absence of relevant sexual health information. Health Educ Behav. 2010;37(2):243–63. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 75. Kubicek K, Carpineto J, McDavitt B, Weiss G, Kipke M. Use and perceptions of the internet for sexual information and partners: a study of young men who have wex with men. Arch Sex Behav. 2010;40(4):803–16. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 76. Morrison TG. “He was treating me like trash, and I was loving it...”: perspectives in gay male pornography. J Homosex. 2004;47(3-4):167–83. [PubMed] 77. Duggan S, McCreary DR. Body image, eating disorders, and the drive for muscularity in gay and heterosexual men: The influence of media images. J Homosex. 2004;47(3/4):45–58. [PubMed] 78. Kraft C, Robinson BE, Nordstrom DL, Bockting WO, Rosser BRS. Obesity, body image and unsafe sex in men who have sex with men. Arch Sex Behav. 35:587–95. [PubMed] 79. Rosser BRS, West W, Weinmeyer R. Are gay communities dying or just in transition? An International consultation from the Eighth AIDS Impact Conference examining structural change in gay communities. AIDS Care. 2008;20(5):588–95. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
80. Sheeran P, Taylor S. Predicting intentions to use condoms: a meta-analysis and comparison of the Theories of Reasoned Action and Planned Behavior. J Appl Soc Psychol. 1999;29(8):1624–75.
81. Armitage CJ, Conner M. Efficacy of the theory of planned behaviour: a meta-analytic review. Br J Soc Psychol. 2001;40(4):471–99. [PubMed] 82. Berg R. Barebacking among MSM internet users. AIDS Behav. 2008;12(5):822–33. [PubMed] 83. Herbst JH, Sherba RT, Crepaz N, et al. A meta-analytic review of HIV behavioral interventions for reducing sexual risk behavior of men who have sex with men. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol. 2005;39(2):228–41. [PubMed] 84. Crepaz N, Lyles CM, Wolitski RJ, et al. Do prevention interventions reduce HIV risk behaviours among people living with HIV? A meta-analytic review of controlled trials. AIDS. 2005;20:143–57. [PubMed] 85. Noar SM. Computer technology-based interventions in HIV prevention: state of the evidence and future directions for research. AIDS Care. 2011;23(5):525–33. [PubMed] 86. Noar S, Black HG, Pierce LB. Efficacy of computer technology-based HIV prevention interventions: A meta-analysis. AIDS. 2009;23:107–15. [PubMed]
87. Noar SM, Pierce LB, Black HG. Can computer-mediated interventions change theoretical mediators of safer sex? A meta-analysis. Hum Commun Res. 2010;36(3):261–97.
88. Rosser BRS, Wilkerson JM, Smolenski D, et al. The future of Internet-based HIV prevention: A report on key findings from the Men's INTernet Sex (MINTS-I, II) Studies. AIDS Behav. 2011;15(1):91–100. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
89. ChiChi LaRue 2008. personal communication.
90. Chiasson MA, Parsons JT, Tesoriero JM, Carr P, Hirshfield S, Remein RH. HIV behavioral research online. J Urban Health. 2006;83(1):73–85. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 91. Rosser BRS, Oakes JM, Horvath KJ, Konstan JA, Danilenko GP, Peterson JL. HIV sexual risk behavior by men who use the Internet to seek sex with men: Results of the Men's INTernet Sex Study-II (MINTS-II). AIDS Behav. 2009;13(3):488–98. [PubMed]