1. Mandri T, Lin J. Isolation and characterization of engine oil degrading indigenous microorganisms in Kwazulu-Natal. African Journal of Biotechnology. 2007;6(1):23–27.
2. Husaini A, Roslan HA, Hii KSY, Ang CH. Biodegradation of aliphatic hydrocarbon by indigenous fungi isolated from used motor oil contaminated sites. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology. 2008;24(12):2789–2797.
3. Bumpus JA. Biodegradation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons by Phanerochaete chrysosporium. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 1989;55(1):154–158. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
4. Clemente AR, Anazawa TA, Durrant LR. Biodegradation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons by soil fungi. Brazilian Journal of Microbiology. 2001;32(4):255–261.
5. Cerniglia CE, Sutherland JB. Bioremediation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons by ligninolytic and non-ligninolytic fungi. In: Gadd GM, editor. Fungi in Bioremediation. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press; 2001. pp. 136–187.
6. Mishra S, Jyot J, Kuhad RC, Lal B. Evaluation of inoculum addition to stimulate in situ bioremediation of oily-sludge-contaminated soil. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 2001;67(4):1675–1681. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 7. Propst TL, Lochmiller RL, Qualls CW, McBee K. In situ (mesocosm) assessment of immunotoxicity risks to small mammals inhabiting petrochemical waste sites. Chemosphere. 1999;38(5):1049–1067. [PubMed] 8. Lloyd AC, Cackette TA. Diesel engines: environmental impact and control. Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association. 2001;51(6):809–847. [PubMed] 9. Van Hamme JD, Singh A, Ward OP. Recent advances in petroleum microbiology. Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews. 2003;67(4):503–549. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
10. Blodgett WC. Water-soluble mutagen production during the bio-remediation of oil—contaminated soil. Florida Scientist. 2001;60(1):28–36.
11. Hagwell LS, Delfino LM, Rao JJ. Partitioning of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons from diesel fuel into water. Environmental Science and Technology. 1992;26(11):2104–2110.
12. Boonchan S, Britz ML, Stanley GA. Degradation and mineralization of high-molecular-weight polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons by defined fungal-bacterial cocultures. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 2000;66(3):1007–1019. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 13. Hollender J, Althoff K, Mundt M, Dott W. Assessing the microbial activity of soil samples, its nutrient limitation and toxic effects of contaminants using a simple respiration test. Chemosphere. 2003;53(3):269–275. [PubMed] 14. Semple KT, Dew NM, Doick KJ, Rhodes AH. Can microbial mineralization be used to estimate microbial availability of organic contaminants in soil? Environmental Pollution. 2006;140(1):164–172. [PubMed]
15. Walworth J, Pond A, Snape I, Rayner J, Ferguson S, Harvey P. Nitrogen requirements for maximizing petroleum bioremediation in a sub-Antarctic soil. Cold Regions Science and Technology. 2007;48(2):84–91.
16. Jørgensen KS, Puustinen J, Suortti AM. Bioremediation of petroleum hydrocarbon-contaminated soil by composting in biopiles. Environmental Pollution. 2000;107(2):245–254. [PubMed] 17. Margesin R, Schinner F. Bioremediation (Natural Attenuation and Biostimulation) of diesel-oil-contaminated soil in an alpine glacier skiing area. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 2001;67(7):3127–3133. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
18. Riffaldi R, Levi-Minzi R, Cardelli R, Palumbo S, Saviozzi A. Soil biological activities in monitoring the bioremediation of diesel oil-contaminated soil. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution. 2006;170(1–4):3–15.
19. Margesin R, Hämmerle M, Tscherko D. Microbial activity and community composition during bioremediation of diesel-oil-contaminated soil: effects of hydrocarbon concentration, fertilizers, and incubation time. Microbial Ecology. 2007;53(2):259–269. [PubMed]
20. Ijah UJJ, Antai SP. The potential use of chicken-drop micro-organisms for oil spill remediation. Environmentalist. 2003;23(1):89–95.
21. Rahman KSM, Thahira-Rahman J, Lakshmanaperumalsamy P, Banat IM. Towards efficient crude oil degradation by a mixed bacterial consortium. Bioresource Technology. 2002;85(3):257–261. [PubMed] 22. Adesodun JK, Mbagwu JSC. Biodegradation of waste-lubricating petroleum oil in a tropical alfisol as mediated by animal droppings. Bioresource Technology. 2008;99(13):5659–5665. [PubMed] 23. Zajic JE, Supplisson B. Emulsification and degradation of “Bunker C” fuel oil by microorganisms. Biotechnology and Bioengineering. 1972;14(3):331–343. [PubMed]
24. Vaajasaari K, Joutti A, Schultz E, Selonen S, Westerholm H. Comparisons of terrestrial and aquatic bioassays for oil-contaminated soil toxicity. Journal of Soils and Sediments. 2002;2(4):194–202.
25. Płaza G, Nałȩcz-Jawecki G, Ulfig K, Brigmon RL. The application of bioassays as indicators of petroleum-contaminated soil remediation. Chemosphere. 2005;59(2):289–296. [PubMed]
26. Millioli VS, Servulo ELC, Sobral LGS, Carvalho DD. Bioremediation of crude oil-bearing soil: evaluating the effect of rhamnolipid addition to soil toxicity and to crude oil biodegradation efficiency. Global Nest Journal. 2009;11(2):181–188.
27. Okoh IO. Biodegradation alternative in the cleanup of petroleum hydrocarbon pollutants. Biotechnology and Molecular Biology Reviews. 2006;1(2):38–50.
28. Kim SJ, Choi DH, Sim DS, Oh YS. Evaluation of bioremediation effectiveness on crude oil-contaminated sand. Chemosphere. 2005;59(6):845–852. [PubMed] 29. Frederic C, Emilien P, Lenaick G, Daniel D. Effects of nutrient and temperature on degradation of petroleum hydrocarbons in contaminated sub-Antarctic soil. Chemosphere. 2005;58(10):1439–1448. [PubMed] 30. Palmroth MRT, Pichtel J, Puhakka JA. Phytoremediation of subarctic soil contaminated with diesel fuel. Bioresource Technology. 2002;84(3):221–228. [PubMed]
31. Bossert I, Bartha R. The fate of petroleum in soil ecosystems. In: Atlas RM, editor. Petroleum Microbiology. New York, NY, USA: Macmillan; 1984.
32. Schaefer M, Juliane F. The influence of earthworms and organic additives on the biodegradation of oil contaminated soil. Applied Soil Ecology. 2007;36(1):53–62.
33. Nakasaki K, Yaguchi H, Sasaki Y, Kubota H. Effects of C/N ratio on thermophilic composting of garbage. Journal of Fermentation and Bioengineering. 1992;73(1):43–45.
34. Joo HS, Phae CG, Ryu JY. Comparison and analysis on characteristics for recycling of multifarious food waste. Journal of KOWREC. 2001;9:117–124.
35. Joo HS, Shoda M, Phae CG. Degradation of diesel oil in soil using a food waste composting process. Biodegradation. 2007;18(5):597–605. [PubMed]
36. Ijah UJJ. Studies on relative capabilities of bacterial and yeast isolates from tropical soil in degrading crude oil. Waste Management. 1998;18(5):293–299.
37. Ahn YH, Sanseverino J, Sayler GS. Analyses of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon-degrading bacteria isolated from contaminated soils. Biodegradation. 1999;10(2):149–157. [PubMed] 38. Bento FM, Camargo FAO, Okeke BC, Frankenberger WT. Comparative bioremediation of soils contaminated with diesel oil by natural attenuation, biostimulation and bioaugmentation. Bioresource Technology. 2005;96(9):1049–1055. [PubMed] 39. Das K, Mukherjee AK. Crude petroleum-oil biodegradation efficiency of Bacillus subtilis and Pseudomonas aeruginosa strains isolated from a petroleum-oil contaminated soil from North-East India. Bioresource Technology. 2007;98(7):1339–1345. [PubMed]
40. Roldán-Martín A, Calva-Calva G, Rojas-Avelizapa N, Díaz-Cervantes MD, Rodríguez-Vázquez R. Solid culture amended with small amounts of raw coffee beans for the removal of petroleum hydrocarbon from weathered contaminated soil. International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation. 2007;60(1):35–39.
41. Banks MK, Schultz KE. Comparison of plants for germination toxicity tests in petroleum-contaminated soils. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution. 2005;167(1–4):211–219.
42. Oleszczuk P. Phytotoxicity of municipal sewage sludge composts related to physico-chemical properties, PAHs and heavy metals. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety. 2008;69(3):496–505. [PubMed] 43. Molina-Barahona L, Vega-Loyo L, Guerrero M, et al. Ecotoxicological evaluation of diesel-contaminated soil before and after a bioremediation process. Environmental Toxicology. 2005;20(1):100–109. [PubMed] 44. Adam G, Duncan H. Influence of diesel fuel on seed germination. Environmental Pollution. 2002;120(2):363–370. [PubMed] 45. Ogboghodo IA, Iruaga EK, Osemwota IO, Chokor JU. An assessment of the effects of crude oil pollution on soil properties, germination and growth of maize (zea mays) using two crude types—forcadors light and escravos light. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. 2004;96(1–
3):143–152. [PubMed] 46. Labud V, Garcia C, Hernandez T. Effect of hydrocarbon pollution on the microbial properties of a sandy and a clay soil. Chemosphere. 2007;66(10):1863–1871. [PubMed]