1. Global tuberculosis control: WHO report 2010. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2010. (WHO/HTM/TB/2010.7)
2. Prasad R, Garg R. XDR-TB: An emerging threat. Chest India. 2007;8:3–4.
3. 4th Global Report. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2008. The WHO/IUATLD Global Project on Anti.tuberculosis Drug Resistance Surveillance. Anti-tuberculosis drug resistance in the world, 2002-2007. (WHO/HTM/TB/2008.394)
4. Multidrug and extensively drug-resistant TB (M/XDR.TB): 2010 global report on surveillance and response. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; WHO/HTM/TB/2010.3.
5. Caminero JA. World Health Organization; American Thoracic Society; British Thoracic Society. Treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: Evidence and controversies. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2006;10:829–37. [PubMed] 6. Prasad R, Nautiyal RG, Mukherji PK, Jain A, Singh K, Ahuja RC. Treatment of new pulmonary tuberculosis patients: What do allopathic doctors do in India? Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2002;6:895–902. [PubMed]
7. Crofton J, Chaulet P, Maher D. Guidelines for the management of drug-resistant tuberculosis. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 1997. (WHO/HTM/TB/96.2010)
8. Caminero JA. Management of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis and patients in retreatment. Eur Respir J. 2005;25:928–36. [PubMed] 9. Kim SJ. Drug-susceptibility testing in tuberculosis: Methods and reliability of results. Eur Respir J. 2005;25:564–9. [PubMed] 10. Canetti G. The J Burns Amberson lecture present aspects of bacterial resistance in tuberculosis. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1965;92:687–703. [PubMed] 11. Moore M, Onorato IM, McCray E, Castro KG. Trends in drug-resistant tuberculosis in the United States 1993–1996. JAMA. 1997;278:833–7. [PubMed] 12. Tuberculosis Division International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. Tuberculosis bacteriology—priorities and indications in high prevalence countries: Position of the technical staff of the Tuberculosis Division of the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2005;9:355–61. [PubMed]
13. Guidelines for the programmatic management of drug-resistant tuberculosis. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization (WHO); 2008. World Health Organization (WHO)
14. Trivedi SS, Desai SG. Primary antituberculosis drug resistance and acquired rifampicin resistance in Gujarat, India. Tubercle. 1988;69:37–42. [PubMed]
15. Tuberculosis: Clinical diagnosis and management of tuberculosis, and measures for its prevention and control. Joint Tuberculosis Committee of the British Thoracic Society. BTS guidelines. 2006 Apr
16. Moghazeh SL, Pan X, Arain T, Stover CK, Musser JM, Kreiswirth BN. Comparative antimicrobial activities of rifampin, rifapentine, and KRM-1648 against a collection of rifampin-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates with known rpoB mutations. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1996;40:2655–7. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 17. Bodmer T, Zürcher G, Imboden P, Telenti A. Mutation position and type of substitution in the beta-subunit of the RNA polymerase influence in-vitro activity of rifamycins in rifampicin-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis. J Antimicrob Chemother. 1995;35:345–8. [PubMed]
18. Caminero JA. A tuberculosis guide for specialist physicians. Paris, France: International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease; 2005.
19. WHO Press Release New Rapid Test for DR.TB for developing Countries Geneva. 2008 Jun 30;
20. Treatment of tuberculosis: Guidelines for national programmes. 3rd ed. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO; 2003. World Health Organization. WHO/CDS/TB/2003.313.
21. International Organization for Migration Tuberculosis Working Group. Outcome of second-line tuberculosis treatment in migrants from Vietnam. Trop Med Int Health. 1998;3:975–80. [PubMed] 22. Van Deun A, Salim MA, Das AP, Bastian I, Portaels F. Results of a standardised regimen for multidrug resistant tuberculosis in Bangladesh. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2004;8:560–7. [PubMed]
23. DOTS PLUS guidelines, Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme, Central TB Division Directorate General Health Services, Ministry of Health and Family welfare. Nirman Bhawan, New Delhi: 2008. Sep,
24. Suárez PG, Floyd K, Portocarrero J, Alarcón E, Rapiti E, Ramos G, et al. Feasibility and cost effectiveness of standardised second line drug treatment for chronic tuberculosis patients; a national cohort study in Peru. Lancet. 2002;359:1980–9. [PubMed] 25. Seung KJ, Joseph K, Hurtado R, Rich M, Shin S, Furin J, et al. Number of drugs to treat multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2004;169:1336–7. author reply 1337. [PubMed] 26. Caminero JA, de March P. Statements of ATS, CDC, and IDSA on treatment of tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2004;169:316–7. [PubMed] 27. American Thoracic Society. Chemotherapy of pulmonary tuberculosis in adults: The choice of drugs in relation to drug susceptibility. A statement of the Committee on Therapy. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1965;92:508–12. [PubMed]
28. American Thoracic Society. Treatment of drug-resistant tuberculosis. A statement by the Committee on Therapy. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1966;94:125–7.
29. Bass JB, Jr, Farer LS, Hopewell PC, O’Brien R, Jacobs RF, Ruben F, et al. Treatment of tuberculosis and tuberculosis infection in adults and children American thoracic society and the centers for disease control and Prevention. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1994;149:1359–74. [PubMed] 30. Blumberg HM, Burman WJ, Chaisson RE, Daley CL, Etkind SC, Friedman LN, et al. American Thoracic society, centers for disease control and prevention and the infectious diseases society. American Thoracic Society/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/Infectious Diseases Society of America: Treatment of tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2003;167:603–62. [PubMed] 31. Citron KM, Darbyshire JH, Ormerod LP, Smith ML. Chemotherapy and management of tuberculosis in the United Kingdom: Recommendations of the joint tuberculosis committee of the British thoracic society. Thorax. 1990;45:403–8. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 32. Joint Tuberculosis Committee of the British Thoracic Society. Chemotherapy and management of tuberculosis in the United Kingdom: Recommendations 1998. Thorax. 1998;53:536–48. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
33. Guidelines for the programmatic management of drug-resistant tuberculosis. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO; 2006. World Health Organization. WHO/HTM/TB/2006.361.
34. Park SK, Kim CT, Song SD. Outcome of chemotherapy in 107 patients with pulmonary tuberculosis resistant to isoniazid and rifampin. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 1998;2:877–84. [PubMed] 35. Geerligs WA, Van Altena R, De Lange WCM, Van Soolingen D, Van Der Werf TS. Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: Long-term treatment outcome in the Netherlands. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2000;4:758–64. [PubMed] 36. Furin JJ, Mitnick CD, Shin SS, Bayona J, Becerra MC, Singler JM, et al. Occurrence of serious adverse effects in patients receiving community-based therapy for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2001;5:648–55. [PubMed] 37. Prasad R, Verma SK, Sahai S, Kumar S, Jain A. Efficacy and safety of kanamycin, ethionamide, PAS, and cycloserine in multidrug resistant pulmonary tuberculosis patients. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci. 2006;48:183–6. [PubMed]
38. Treatment of tuberculosis: Guidelines for national programmes. 2nd ed. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO; 1997. World Health Organization. WHO/TB/97.220.
39. Goble M, Iseman MD, Madsen LA, Waite D, Ackerson L, Horsburgh CR., Jr Treatment of 171 patients with pulmonary tuberculosis resistant to isoniazid and rifampin. N Engl J Med. 1993;328:527–32. [PubMed] 40. Iseman MD. Treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. N Engl J Med. 1993;329:784–91. [PubMed]
41. Rich ML, Mukherjee J, Socci A, Acha J, Alcántara F, Barry D. The PIH guide to management of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. International edition. Boston, MA, USA: Partners in Health; 2003.
42. Mukherjee JS, Rich ML, Socci AR, Joseph JK, Virú FA, Shin SS, et al. Programmes and principles in treatment for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. Lancet. 2004;363:474–81. [PubMed]
43. Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme DOTS. Plus Guidelines November 2009 Central TB Division, Directorate General of Health Services, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
44. Freixinet JG, Rivas JJ, De Castro F Rodríguez, Caminero JA, Rodriguez P, Serra M, et al. Role of surgery in pulmonary tuberculosis. Med Sci Monit. 2002;8:CR782–6. [PubMed] 45. Iseman MD, Madsen L, Goble M, Pomerantz M. Surgical intervention in the treatment of pulmonary disease caused by drug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1990;141:623–5. [PubMed] 46. Chan ED, Laurel V, Strand MJ, Chan JF, Huynh ML, Goble M, et al. Treatment and outcome analysis of 205 patients with multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2004;169:1103–9. [PubMed] 47. Park SK, Lee CM, Heu JP, Song SD. A retrospective study for the outcome of pulmonary resection in 49 patients with multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2002;6:143–9. [PubMed] 48. Pomerantz M, Madsen L, Goble M, Iseman M. Surgical management of resistant mycobacterial pulmonary infection. Ann Thorac Surg. 1991;52:1108–12. [PubMed]
49. at Chennai: 2007. Sep 14-15, Proceedings of Consultative meeting of national experts organized by the TB Research Centre, ICMR, Govt. of India.
51. Anand SC, Prasad R, Garg R, Kushwaha RA, Verma SK, Narayan KV. Observational study to assess the use of second line drugs in patients with tuberculosis. Poster session presented at National Conference on Pulmonary Disease (NAPCON) at Lucknow on 6-9 Nov 2008. 2008 Nov