1. Castonguay LG: “Common factors” and “nonspecific variables”: clarification of the two concepts and recommendations for research. Journal of Psychotherapy Integration
2. Beck AT, Rush AJ, Shaw BF, et al: Cognitive Therapy of Depression: A Treatment Manual. New York, Guilford, 1979.
3. Strupp HH: The performance of psychoanalytic and client-centered therapists in an initial interview. J Consult Psychol
1958; 22:265–274. [PubMed]
4. Wolberg LR: Short-Term Psychotherapy. New York, Grune and Stratton, 1967.
5. Rogers CR: The necessary and sufficient conditions of therapeutic personality change. J Consult Clin Psychol
1957; 22:95–103. [PubMed] 6. Auerbach AH: An application of Strupp's method of content analysis to psychotherapy. Psychiatry
1963; 26:137–148. [PubMed]
7. Witaker C, Malone T: The Roots of Psychotherapy. New York, Brunner/Mazel, 1981.
8. DeRubeis RJ, Hollon SD, Evans MD, et al: Can psychotherapies for depression be discriminated? A systematic investigation of cognitive therapy and interpersonal therapy. J Consult Clin Psychol
1982; 50:744–756. [PubMed] 9. Hill CE, O'Grady KE, Elkin I: Applying the Collaborative Study Psychotherapy Rating Scale to rate therapist adherence in cognitive-behavior therapy, interpersonal therapy, and clinical management. J Consult Clin Psychol
1992; 60:73–79. [PubMed] 10. Elkin I, Shea MT, Watkins JT, et al: National Institute of Mental Health Treatment of Depression Collaborative Research Program: general effectiveness of treatments. Arch Gen Psychiatry
1989; 46:971–982. [PubMed] 11. Barber JP, Krakauer I, Calvo N, et al: Measuring adherence and competence of dynamic therapists in the treatment of cocaine dependence. J Psychother Pract Res
1997; 6:12–14. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
12. Anderson EM, Lambert MJ: Short-term dynamically oriented psychotherapies: a review and meta-analysis. Clin Psychol Rev
13. Smith ML, Glass GV: Meta-analysis of psychotherapy outcome studies. Am Psychol
1977; 32:752–760. [PubMed] 14. Luborsky L, Singer B, Luborsky L: Comparative studies of psychotherapies: is it true that “everyone has won and all must have prizes”? Arch Gen Psychiatry
1975; 32:995–1008. [PubMed] 15. Stiles WB, Shapiro DA, Elliott R: Are all psychotherapies equivalent? Am Psychol
1986; 41:165–180. [PubMed]
16. Butler SF, Strupp HH: Specific and nonspecific factors in psychotherapy: a problematic paradigm for psychotherapy research. Psychotherapy
17. Ilardi SS, Craighead WE: The role of nonspecific factors in cognitive-behavior therapy for depression. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice
18. Barber JP, Crits-Christoph P: Development of an adherence/ competence scale for dynamic therapy: preliminary findings. Psychotherapy Research
1996; 6:81–94. [PubMed]
19. Crits-Christoph P, Barber JP, Kurcias JS: The accuracy of therapists' interpretations and the development of the therapeutic alliance. Psychotherapy Research
20. DeRubeis RJ, Feeley M: Determinants of change in cognitive therapy for depression. Cognitive Therapy and Research
21. Barber JP, Connolly MB, Crits-Christoph P, et al: Alliance predicts patients' outcome beyond in-treatment change in symptoms. J Consult Clin Psychol
2000; 68:1027–1032. `. [PubMed]
22. Orlinsky DE, Grawe K, Parks BK: Process and outcome in psychotherapy: noch einmal, in Handbook of Psychotherapy and Behavior Change, 4th edition, edited by Bergin AE, Garfield SL. New York, Wiley, 1994, pp 270–376.
23. Edwards D, Johnson S, Berry NH: Positive results from outpatient mental health intervention. J Clin Psychol
1979; 35:887–893. [PubMed]
24. Rogers CR: Client-Centered Therapy. Boston, Houghton Mifflin, 1951.
25. Horvath AO, Symonds BD: Relation between working alliance and outcome in psychotherapy: a meta-analysis. Journal of Counseling Psychology
26. Cherry EF, Gold SN: The therapeutic frame revisited: a contemporary perspective. Psychotherapy
27. Watkins CE: Frame alterations and violations in counseling and psychotherapy. American Mental Health Counselors Association Journal
28. Gold SN, Cherry EF: The therapeutic frame: on the need for flexibility. Journal of Contemporary Psychotherapy
29. Deane FP, Spicer J, Leathem J: Effects of videotaped preparatory information on expectations, anxiety, and psychotherapy outcome. J Consult Clin Psychol
1992; 60:980–984. [PubMed]
30. Zwick R, Attkinsson CC: Effectiveness of a client pretherapy orientation videotape. Journal of Counseling Psychology
31. Luborsky L: Principles of Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy. New York, Basic Books, 1984.
32. Miller I: Interpretation as a supportive technique in psychotherapy. Bull Menninger Clin
1969; 33:154–164. [PubMed]
33. Greenberg S: The supportive approach to therapy. Clinical Social Work Journal
34. Rockland LH: Supportive Therapy: A Psychodynamic Approach. New York, Basic Books, 1989.
35. Dewald PA: Principles of supportive psychotherapy. Am J Psychother
1994; 48:505–518. [PubMed]
36. Pinsker H, Rosenthal R, McCullough L: Dynamic supportive psychotherapy, in Handbook of Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy, edited by Crits-Christoph P, Barber JP. New York, Basic Books, 1991, pp 220–247.
37. Winston A, Pinsker H, McCullough L: A review of supportive psychotherapy. Hosp Community Psychiatry
1986; 37:1105–1114. [PubMed] 38. Wallerstein RS: The Psychotherapy Research Project of the Menninger Foundation: an overview. J Consult Clin Psychol
1989; 57:195–205. [PubMed] 39. Rosenthal RN, Muran JC, Pinsker H, et al: Interpersonal change in brief supportive psychotherapy. J Psychother Pract Res
1999; 8:55–63. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 40. Hellerstein DJ, Pinsker H, Rosenthal RN, et al: Supportive therapy as the treatment model of choice. J Psychother Pract Res
1994; 3:300–306. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 41. Woody GE, Luborsky L, McLellan AT, et al: Psychotherapy for opiate addicts: does it help? Arch Gen Psychiatry
1983; 40:639–645. [PubMed]
42. Luborsky L, Woody G, Hole AV, et al: Supportive-expressive dynamic psychotherapy for treatment of opiate drug dependence, in Dynamic Therapies for Psychiatric disorders (Axis I), edited by Barber JP, Crits-Christoph P. New York, Basic Books, 1995, pp 131–160.
43. Luborsky L, Woody GE, McLellan AT, et al: Can independent judges recognize different psychotherapies? An experience with manual-guided therapies. J Consult Clin Psychol
1982; 50:49–62. [PubMed]
44. Horvath A, Gaston L, Luborsky L: The therapeutic alliance and its measures, in Psychodynamic Treatment Research: A Handbook for Clinical Practice, edited by Miller NE, Luborsky L, Barber JP, et al. New York, Basic Books, 1993, pp 247–273.
45. Ogrodniczuk JS, Piper WE: Measuring therapist technique in psychodynamic psychotherapies: development and use of a new scale. J Psychother Pract Res
1999; 8:142–154. [PMC free article] [PubMed]