1. Bordin E: The generalizability of the psychoanalytic concept of the working alliance. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice
2. Horvath AO, Greenberg L: Development and validation of the Working Alliance Inventory. Journal of Counseling Psychology
3. Horvath AO, Greenberg LS: Introduction, in The Working Alliance: Theory, Research and Practice, edited by Horvath AO, Greenberg LS. New York, Wiley, 1994, pp 1–9.
4. Stiles W, Shapiro D, Elliott R: Are all psychotherapies equivalent? Am Psychol
1986; 41:165–180. [PubMed]
5. Horvath AO, Symonds BD: Relation between working alliance and outcome in psychotherapy: a meta-analysis. Journal of Counseling Psychology
6. Luborsky L: Helping alliance in psychotherapy, in Successful Psychotherapy, edited by Cleghhorn JL. New York; Brunner/Mazel, 1976, pp 92–116.
7. Bordin E: A psychodynamic view of counseling psychology. The Counseling Psychologist
8. Gelso CJ, Carter JA: Components of the psychotherapy relationship: their interaction and unfolding during treatment. Journal of Counseling Psychology
9. Horvath AO, Gaston L, Luborsky L: The therapeutic alliance and its measures, in Psychodynamic Treatment and Research, edited by Miller L, Luborsky L, Barber J et al. New York, Basic Books, 1993, pp 247–273.
10. Greenberg LS: What is “real” in the relationship? Comment on Gelso and Carter (1994). Journal of Counseling Psychology
11. Horvath AO, Marx RW: The development and decay of the working alliance during time-limited counseling. Canadian Journal of Counseling
12. Golden BR, Robbins SB: The working alliance within time-limited therapy: a case analysis. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice
13. Kivlighan D, Shaughnessy P: Analysis of the development of the working alliance using hierarchical linear modeling. Journal of Counseling Psychology
14. Sexton HC, Hembre K, Kvarme G: The interaction of the alliance and therapy microprocess: a sequential analysis. J Consult Clin Psychol
1996; 64:471–480. [PubMed] 15. Marziali E: Three viewpoints on the therapeutic alliance. J Nerv Ment Dis
1984; 172:417–423. [PubMed]
16. Klee MR, Abeles N, Muller RT: Therapeutic alliance: early indicators, course, and outcome. Psychotherapy
17. Marmar C, Weiss D, Gaston L: Towards the validation of the California Therapeutic Alliance Rating System. Psychological Assessment
18. Luborsky L, Crits-Christoph P, Alexander L, et al: Two helping alliance methods for predicting outcomes of psychotherapy: a counting signs vs global ratings method. J Nerv Ment Dis
1983; 171:480–491. [PubMed]
19. Hartley D, Strupp H: The therapeutic alliance: its relationship to outcome in brief psychotherapy, in Empirical Studies of Psychoanalytic Theories, vol 1, edited by Masling J. Hillsdale, NJ, Lawrence Erlbaum, 1983, pp 1–37.
20. Eaton T, Abeles N, Gutfreund M: Therapeutic alliance and outcome: impact of treatment length and pretreatment symptomatology. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice
21. Gomes-Schwartz B: Effective ingredients in psychotherapy: prediction of outcome from process variables. J Consult Clin Psychol
1978; 46:1023–1035. [PubMed] 22. Morgan R, Luborsky L, Crits-Christoph P, et al: Predicting the outcomes of psychotherapy by the Penn Helping Alliance Rating method. Arch Gen Psychiatry
1982; 39:397–402. [PubMed]
23. Tichenor V, Hill C: A comparison of six measures of working alliance. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice
24. Salvio M, Beutler L, Wood J, et al: The strength of the therapeutic alliance in three treatments for depression. Psychotherapy Research
25. Crits-Christoph P, Barber J, Kurcias JS: The accuracy of therapists' interpretations and the development of alliance. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice
26. Gurman A: The patient's perception of the therapeutic relationship, in Effective Psychotherapy, edited by Gurman A, Razin A. New York, Pergamon, 1977, pp 503–543.
27. Marmar CR, Horowitz MJ, Weiss DS: The development of the therapeutic alliance rating system, in The Psychotherapeutic Process: A Research Handbook, edited by Greenberg LS, Pinsof WM. New York, Guilford, 1986, pp 367–390.
28. Mallinckrodt B, Nelson M: Counselor training level and the formation of the psychotherapeutic working alliance. Journal of Counseling Psychology
29. Piper W, Boroto D, Joyce A, et al: Pattern of alliance and outcome in short-term individual psychotherapy. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice
30. Carter JA: Refining notions through converging paradigms. The Counseling Psychologist
31. Marziali E, Marmar C, Krupnick J: Therapeutic alliance scales: development and relationship to psychotherapy outcome. Am J Psychiatry
1981; 138:361–364. [PubMed] 32. Hatcher RL, Barends AW: Patients' view of the alliance in psychotherapy: exploratory factor analysis of three alliance measures. J Consult Clin Psychol
1996; 64:1326–1336. [PubMed]
33. Bachelor A: Comparison and relationship to outcome of diverse dimensions of the helping alliance as seen by client and therapist. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice
34. Safran J, Wallner K: The relative predictive validity of two therapeutic alliance measures in cognitive therapy. Psychological Assessment
35. Kazdin A: Preparing and evaluating research reports. Psychological Assessment
36. Endicott J, Spitzer R, Fleiss J, et al: The Global Assessment Scale. Arch Gen Psychiatry
1976; 33:766–771. [PubMed]
37. Ilfeld F: Further validation of a psychiatric symptom index in a normal population. Psychological Reports
38. Suh C, Strupp H, O'Malley S: The Vanderbilt process measures: the Psychotherapy Process Scale (VPPS) and the Negative Indicators Scale (VNIS), in The Psychotherapeutic Process: A Research Handbook, edited by Greenberg L, Pinsof W. New York, Guilford, 1986, pp 285–323.
39. Alexander L, Luborsky L: The Penn Helping Alliance Scales, in The Psychotherapeutic Process: A Research Handbook, edited by Greenberg L, Pinsof W. New York, Guilford, 1986, pp 325–366.
40. Green B, Gleser G, Stone W, et al: Relationships among diverse measures of psychotherapy outcome. J Consult Clin Psychol
1975; 43:689–699. [PubMed] 41. Luborsky L, McLellan T, Woody G, et al: Therapist success and its determinants. Arch Gen Psychiatry
1985; 42:602–611. [PubMed]
42. Tracey T, Kokotovic A: Factor structure of the Working Alliance Inventory. Psychological Assessment
43. Gaston L: Reliability and criterion-related validity of the California Psychotherapy Alliance Scales. Psychological Assessment
44. Henry WP, Strupp HH: The therapeutic alliance as interpersonal process, in The Working Alliance: Theory, Research and Practice, edited by Horvath AO, Greenberg LS. New York, Wiley, 1994, pp 51–84.
45. Rice LN, Greenberg LS (eds): Patterns of Change: Intensive Analysis of Psychotherapy Process. New York, Guilford, 1984.
46. Tabachnick BG, Fidell LS: Using Multivariate Statistics, 2nd edition. New York, Harper and Row, 1989.
47. Gaston L, Marmar C: The California Psychotherapy Alliance Scales, in The Working Alliance: Theory, Research and Practice, edited by Horvath AO, Greenberg LS. New York, Wiley, 1994, pp 85–108.
48. Tyron GS, Kane AS: Relationship of working alliance to mutual and unilateral termination. Journal of Counseling Psychology
49. Dunkle J, Friedlander M: Contribution of therapist experience and personal characteristics to the working alliance. Journal of Counseling Psychology
50. Gomes-Schwartz B, Schwartz J: Psychotherapy process variables distinguishing the “inherently helpful” person from the professional psychotherapist. J Consult Clin Psychol
1978; 46:196–197. [PubMed] 51. Strupp H, Hadley S: Specific vs nonspecific factors in psychotherapy: a controlled study of outcome. Arch Gen Psychiatry
1979; 36:1125–1129. [PubMed]
52. Marmar CR, Gaston L, Gallagher D, et al: Therapeutic alliance and outcome in behavioral, cognitive, and brief dynamic psychotherapy in late-life depression. J Nerv Ment Dis
53. Gaston L, Marmar CR, Thompson LW, et al: Alliance prediction of outcome beyond in-treatment symptomatic change as psychotherapy progresses. Psychotherapy Research
54. Henry WP, Strupp HH, Schacht TE, et al: Psychodynamic approaches, in Handbook of Psychotherapy and Behavioral Change, edited by Bergin AE, Garfield SL. New York, Wiley, 1994, pp 467–508.