Health Benefits, Risks, and Cost-Effectiveness of Influenza Vaccination in Children
This appendix provides additional information on methods and data and is intended to supplement the corresponding article.
Table A1 References
1. Fox JP, Hall CE, Cooney MK, Foy HM. Influenza virus infections in Seattle families, 1975–1979: II. Pattern of infection in invaded households and relation of age and prior antibody to occurrence of infection and related illness. Am J Epidemiol. 1982;116:228–42.
2. Foy HM, Hall CE, Cooney MK, Allan ID, Fox JP. Influenza surveillance in the Pacific Northwest 1976-1980. Int J Epidemiol. 1983;12:353–6.
4. Hall CE, Cooney MK, Fox JP. The Seattle virus watch: IV. Comparative epidemiologic observations of infections with influenza A and B viruses, 1965-1969, in families with young children. Am J Epidemiol. 1973;98:365–80.
5. Monto AS, Sullivan KM. Acute respiratory illness in the community: frequency of illness and the agents involved. Epidemiol Infect. 1993;110:145–60.
6. Monto AS, Koolman JS. Longini Jr IJ. Tecumseh study of illness: XIII. Influenza infection and disease, 1976-1981. Am J Epidemiol. 1985;121:811–22.7. Neuzil KM, Zhu Y, Griffin MR, Edwards KM, Thompson JM, Tollefson SJ, et al. Burden of interpandemic influenza in children younger than 5 years: a 25-year prospective study. J Infect Dis. 2002;185:147–52.
8. Neuzil KM, Dupont WD, Wright PF, Edwards KM. Efficacy of inactivated and cold-adapted vaccines against inlfuenza A infection, 1985 to 1990: the pediatric experience. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2001;20:733–40.
9. Sullivan KM, Monto AS. Longini Jr IJ. Estimates of the US health impact of influenza. Am J Public Health. 1993;83:1712–6.
10. Taber LH, Paredes A, Glezen WP, Couch RB. Infection with influenza A/Victoria virus in Houston families, 1976. J Hyg (Lond). 1981;86:303–13.
11. Neuzil KM, Mellen BG, Wright PF, Mitchel EF, Griffin MR. The effect of influenza on hospitalizations, outpatient visits, and courses of antibiotics in children. N Engl J Med. 2000;342:225–31.
12. Neuzil KM, Wright PF, Mitchel EF, Griffin MR. The burden of influenza illness in children with asthma and other chronic medical conditions. J Pediatr. 2000;137:856–64.
13. Belshe RB, Mendelman PM, Treanor J, King J, Gruber WC, Piedra PA, et al. The efficacy of live attenuated, cold-adapted, trivalent, intranasal influenzavirus vaccine in children. N Engl J Med. 1998;338:1405–12.
14. Heikkinen T, Ruuskanen O, Waris M, Ziegler T, Arola M, Halonen P. Influenza vaccination in the prevention of acute otitis media in children. Am J Dis Child. 1991;145:445–8.
15. Heikkinen T, Thint M, Chonmaitree T. Prevalence of various respiratory viruses in the middle ear during acute otitis media. N Engl J Med. 1999;340:260–4. doi:10.1056/NEJM199901283400402
16. Teele DW, Klein JO, Rosner B; Greater Boston Otitis Media Study Group. Epidemiology of otitis media during the first seven years of life in children in greater Boston: a prospective, cohort study. J Infect Dis. 1989;160:83–94. doi:10.1093/infdis/160.1.83
17. Izurieta HS, Thompson WW, Kramarz P, Shay DK, Davis RL, DeStefano F, et al. Influenza and the rates of hospitalization for respiratory disease among infants and young children. N Engl J Med. 2000;342:232–9. doi:10.1056/NEJM200001273420402
18. Thompson WW, Shay DK, Weintraub E, Brammer L, Cox N, Anderson LJ, et al. Mortality associated with influenza and respiratory syncytial virus in the United States. JAMA. 2003;289:179–86.
19. Nichol KL. The efficacy, effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of inactivated influenza virus vaccines. Vaccine. 2003;21:1769–75.
20. Belshe RB, Gruber WC, Mendelman PM, Cho I, Reisinger K, Block SL, et al. Efficacy of vaccination with live attenuated, cold-adapted, trivalent, intranasal influenza virus vaccine against a variant (A/Sydney) not contained in the vaccine. J Pediatr. 2000;136:168–75.
21. Drug topics redbook. Montvale (NJ): Medical Economics Co.; 2000.
22. Finkelstein JA, Stille CS, Nordin J, Davis R, Raebel MA, Roblin D, et al. Reduction in antibiotic use among US children, 1996-2000. Pediatrics. 2003;112:620–7.
23. Waitzman NJ, Scheffler RM, Romano PS. The cost of birth defects: estimates of the value of prevention. Lanham (MD): University Press of America, Inc.; 1984.
24. Clabaugh J. MedImmune slashes FluMist price, finds distributor. Washington Business Journal. 2004 Jun 15.
25. Consumer price index. US Department of Labor Statistics. 2004 [cited 2004 Aug 16]. Available from http://www.bls.gov/cpi/
26. American Academy of Pediatrics. Pediatric service utilization, fees and managed care arrangements: 2001 report based on 1999 data. Elk Grove Village (IL): The Academy; 2001. p. 1–11.
27. Prosser LA, Bridges CB, Uyeki TM, Rego VH, Ray GT, Meltzer MI, et al. Values for preventing influenza-related morbidity and vaccine adverse events in children. Health Qual Life Outcomes. In Press.
28. Prosser LA, Ray GT, O'Brien M, Kleinman K, Santoli J, Lieu TA. Preferences and willingness to pay for health states prevented by pneumococcal conjugate vaccine. Pediatrics. 2004;113:283–90.