1. United Nations. Prevention and control of non-communicable disease. New York, NY: United Nations; 2010.
2. United Nations. Scope, modalities, format and organization of the high-level meeting of the General Assembly on the prevention and control of non-communicable diseases. New York, NY: United Nations; 2010.
3. Alleyne G, Stuckler D, Alwan A. The hope and the promise of the UN Resolution on non-communicable diseases. Globalization and Health. 2010;6:15. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 4. Rehm J, Room R, Monteiro M, Gmel G, Graham K, Rehn N, et al. Alcohol as a risk factor for global burden of disease. Eur Addict Res. 2003;9:157–164. [PubMed] 5. Rehm J, Mathers C, Popova S, Thavorncharoensap M, Teerawattananon Y, Patra J. Global burden of disease and injury and economic cost attributable to alcohol use and alcohol use disorders. Lancet. 2009;373:2223–22233. [PubMed]
6. Babor T, Caetano R, Casswell S, Edwards G, Giesbrecht N, Graham K, et al. Alcohol: No ordinary commodity. Research and public policy. 2. Oxford and London: Oxford University Press; 2010.
7. Rehm J, Baliunas D, Borges GLG, Graham K, Irving HM, Kehoe T, et al. The relation between different dimensions of alcohol consumption and burden of disease -An overview. Addiction. 2010;105:817–843. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
8. Rehm J, Room R, Monteiro M, Gmel G, Graham K, Rehn N, et al. Alcohol Use. In: Ezzati M, Lopez AD, Rodgers A, Murray CJL, editors. Comparative quantification of health risks: global and regional burden of disease attributable to selected major risk factors. Vol. 1. Geneva: WHO; 2004. pp. 959–1109.
9. World Health Organization. The global burden of disease: 2004 update. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2008.
10. Schmidt LA, Mäkelä P, Rehm J, Room R. Equity, social determinants and public health programmes. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2010. Alcohol: equity and social determinants; pp. 11–29.
11. Shield K, Rehm M, Patra J, Rehm J. Global and country specific adult per capita consumption of alcohol, 2008. Sucht. 2011;57:99–117.
12. Room R, Babor T, Rehm J. Alcohol and public health: a review. Lancet. 2005;365:519–530. [PubMed] 13. Corrao G, Rubbiati L, Bagnardi V, Zambon A, Poikolainen K. Alcohol and coronary heart disease: A meta-analysis. Addiction. 2000;95:1505–1523. [PubMed]
14. Gmel G, Rehm J, Frick U. Pro-Kopf-Konsum von Alkohol und koronare Mortalität. Sucht. 2003;49:95–104.
15. World Health Organization. Mortality and burden of disease attributable to selected major risks. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2009. Global Health Risks.
16. Baan R, Straif K, Grosse Y, Secretan B, El Ghissassi F, Bouvard V, et al. Carcinogenicity of alcoholic beverages. Lancet Oncol. 2007;8:292–293. [PubMed]
17. International Agency for Research on Cancer. Alcohol consumption and ethyl cabanate. Lyon, France: International agency for research on cancer; 2010.
18. World Health Organization. International guide for monitoring alcohol consumption and related harm. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization, Department of Mental Health and Substance Dependence. Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health Cluster; 2000.
19. Brooks PJ, Goldman D, Li TK. Alleles of alcohol and acetaldehyde metabolism genes modulate susceptibility to oesophageal cancer from alcohol consumption. Human Genomics. 2009;3:103–105. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 20. Taylor B, Irving HM, Baliunas D, Roerecke M, Patra J, Mohapatra S, et al. Alcohol and hypertension: gender differences in dose-response relationships determined through systematic review and meta-analysis. Addiction. 2009;104:1981–1990. [PubMed] 21. Patra J, Taylor B, Irving H, Roerecke M, Baliunas D, Mohapatra S, et al. Alcohol consumption and the risk of morbidity and mortality from different stroke types -a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Public Health. 2010;10:258. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 22. Samokhvalov AV, Irving HM, Rehm J. Alcohol as a risk factor for atrial fibrillation: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil. 2010;17:706–712. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 23. Zakhari S. Alcohol and the cardiovascular system: molecular mechanisms for beneficial and harmful action. Alcohol Health Res World. 1997;21:21–29. [PubMed]
24. Rehm J, Roerecke M. Alcohol, the heart and the cardiovascular system -what do we know and where should we go? Drug and Alcohol Review. 2011 in press.
25. Roerecke M, Rehm J. Irregular heavy drinking occasions and risk of ischemic heart disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Epidemiol. 2010;171:633–644. [PubMed]
26. Gmel G, Kuntsche E, Rehm J. Risky single occasion drinking: bingeing is not bingeing. Addiction. 2010 in press.
27. Mann R, Smart RG, Govoni R. The epidemiology of alcoholic liver disease. Alcohol Res Health. 2003;27:209–219. [PubMed] 28. Rehm J, Taylor B, Mohapatra S, Irving H, Baliunas D, Patra J, et al. Alcohol as a risk factor for liver cirrhosis -a systematic review and meta-analysis. Drug Alcohol Rev. 2010;29:437–445. [PubMed] 29. Wu D, Cederbaum AI. Alcohol, oxidative stress and free radical damage. Alcohol Res Health. 2003;4:277–284. [PubMed] 30. Tuma DJ, Casey CA. Dangerous by-products of alcohol breakdown -focus on addicts. Alcohol Research and Health. 2003;27:285–290. [PubMed] 31. Irving HM, Samokhvalov A, Rehm J. Alcohol as a risk factor for pancreatitis. A systematic review and meta-analysis. JOP. 2009;10:387–392. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 32. Baliunas D, Taylor B, Irving H, Roerecke M, Patra J, Mohapatra S, et al. Alcohol as a risk factor for type 2 diabetes -A systematic review and meta-analysis. Diabetes Care. 2009;32:2123–2132. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 33. Samokhvalov AV, Popova S, Room R, Ramonas M, Rehm J. Disability associated with alcohol abuse and dependence. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2010;34:1871–1878. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 34. Ezzati M, Lopez AD, Rodgers AD, Vander Horn S, Murray CJL. Comparative Risk Assessment Collaborating Group. Selected major risk factors and global and regional burden of disease. Lancet. 2002;360:1347–1360. [PubMed] 35. Rehm J, Mathers C. Global comparative risk assessment -what level of detail can be achieved? Lancet. 2009;374:477. [PubMed]
36. World Health Organization. Global status report on alcohol. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2011.
37. Popova S, Rehm J, Patra J, Zatonski W. Comparing alcohol consumption in central and eastern Europe to other European countries. Alcohol Alcohol. 2007;42:465–473. [PubMed]
38. World Health Organization. Description of the global burden of NCDs, their risk factors and determinants. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2011. Global status report on noncommunicable diseases 2010.
39. Beaglehole R, Bonita R, Horton R, Adams C, Alleyne G, Asaria P, et al. Priority actions for the non-communicable disease crisis. Lancet. 2011;377:1438–1447. [PubMed] 40. Rehm J, Klotsche J, Patra J. Comparative quantification of alcohol exposure as risk factor for global burden of disease. Int J Methods Psychiatr Res. 2007;16:66–76. [PubMed] 41. Rehm J, Kanteres F, Lachenmeier DW. Unrecorded consumption, quality of alcohol and health consequences. Drug Alcohol Rev. 2010;29:426–436. [PubMed] 42. Shaper AG, Wannamethee SG. The J-shaped curve and changes in drinking habit. Novartis Foundation Symposium. 1998;216:173–188. [PubMed]
43. World Health Organization. Global strategy to reduce the harmful use of alcohol. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2010.
44. Anderson P, Chisholm D, Fuhr D. Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of policies and programmes to reduce the harm caused by alcohol. Lancet. 2009;373:2234–2246. [PubMed]
45. Room R, Jernigan D, Carlini-Marlatt B, Gureje O, Mäkelä K, Marshall M, et al. Alcohol in developing societies: a public health approach. Helsinki: Finnish foundation for alcohol studies; 2002.
47. Geneau R, Stuckler D, Stachenko S, McKee M, Elbrahim S, Basu S, et al. Raising the priority of preventing chronic diseases: a political process. Lancet. 2011;376:1689–1698. [PubMed]