Papers of particular interest, published recently, have been highlighted as:
•• Of major importance
1••. Chung T, Martin CS. Prevalence and clinical course of adolescent substance use and substance use disorders. In: Kaminer Y, Winters KC, editors. Clinical Manual of Adolescent Substance Abuse Treatments. Washington, D. C.: American Psychiatric Association; 2011. pp. 1–23. This book chapter provides a summary of the extent of drug involvement by youth in the United States and discusses the empiric knowledge regarding the course of SUDs as youth age from their early teenage years to young adulthood.
3. Rockholz PB. Management of youth with substance use disorders in the juvenile justice system. In: Kaminer Y, Winters KC, editors. Clinical manual of adolescent substance abuse treatments. Arlington: American Psychiatric; 2011. pp. 415–49.
4. Substance Abuse Mental Health Service Administration S. Results from the 2003 National Household Survey on Drug Abuse. Rockville, MD: 2004.
6. Chen CY, O’Brien MS, Anthony JC. Who becomes cannabis dependent soon after onset of use? Epidemiological evidence from the United States: 2000–2001. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2005;79 (1):11–22. [PubMed]
7. Studies) OOoA. The NSDUH Report. 2006. Substance use treatment need among adolescents: 2003–2004; p. 24.
8. Knudsen HK. Adolescent-only substance abuse treatment: availability and adoption of components of quality. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2009;36(2):195–204. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
10. White W, Miller W. The use of confrontation in addiction: history, science and time for change. Counselor. 2007;8(4):12–30.
11. White W, Dennis M, Tims FM. Adolescent treatment: its history and current renaissance. Counselor Magazine. 2002;3 (2):20–5.
12. Brown SA, Anderson KG, Ramo DE, Tomlinson KL. Treatment of adolescent alcohol-related problems. A translational perspective. Recent Dev Alcohol. 2005;17:327–48. [PubMed] 13. Gardner M, Steinberg L. Peer influence on risk taking, risk preference, and risky decision making in adolescence and adulthood: an experimental study. Dev Psychol. 2005;41(4):625–35. [PubMed] 14. Winters KC. Treating adolescents with substance use disorders: an overview of practice issues and treatment outcome. Subst Abus. 1999;20:203–25. [PubMed]
16. Szapocznik J, Coatsworth D. An ecodevelopmental framework for organizing the influences of drug abuse: a developmental model of risk and protection. In: Glantz MD, editor. Drug abuse: origins and interventions. Washington: American Psychological Association; 1999. pp. 331–66.
17. Weiss RD, Jaffee WB, de Menil VP, Cogley CB. Group therapy for substance use disorders: what do we know? Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2004;12(6):339–50. [PubMed]
18. Beck A, Weishaar M. Cognitive therapy. In: Corsini RJ, Wedding D, editors. Current psychotherapies. 7. Belmont: Thomas Brooks/Cole; 2005. pp. 238–68.
19. Waldron HB, Slesnick N, Brody JL, Turner CW, Peterson TR. Treatment outcomes for adolescent substance abuse at 4- and 7-month assessments. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2001;69(5):802–13. [PubMed]
20. Rollnick S, Miller WR. What is motivational interviewing? Behav Cog Psychother. 1995;23:325–34.
21. Kaminer Y, Spirito A, Lewander W. Brief motivational interventions, cognitive-behavioral therapy, and contingency management for youth substance use disorders. In: Kaminer Y, Winters K, editors. Clinical manual of adolescent substance abuse treatment. Arlington: American Psychiatric; 2011. pp. 213–38.
22. Borkman T. The twelve-step recovery model of AA: a voluntary mutual help association. Recent Dev Alcohol. 2008;18:9–35. [PubMed] 24. Morral AR, McCafferey DF, Ridgeway G. Effectiveness of community-based treatment for substance-abusing adolescents: 12-month outcomes of youth entering Phoenix Academy or alternative probation dispositions. Psychol Addict Behav. 2004;18:257–68. [PubMed]
25. Jainchill N. Therapeutic communities for adolescents: the same and not the same. In: DeLeon G, editor. Community as method: therapeutic communities for special populations and special settings. Westport: Praeger; 1997. pp. 161–78.
26. Deas D, Thomas SE. An overview of controlled studies of adolescent substance abuse treatment. Am J Addict. 2001;10 (2):178–89. [PubMed]
27••. Lipsey MW, Tanner-Smith EE, Wilson SJ. Comparative Effectiveness of Adolescent Substance Abuse Treatment: Three Meta-analyses With Implications for Practice. Nashville, TN: Peabody Research Institute, Vanderbilt University; 2010. This publication provides a current and comprehensive review of published adolescent drug abuse treatment outcome studies.
28. Winters KC, editor. Guidelines for treating adolescents with a substance use disorder. Rockville: Center for Substance Abuse Treatment; 1999.
29. Treating teens: a guide to adolescent drug programs. Washington, D. C.: Drug Strategies; 2003.
30. Brannigan R, Schackman BR, Falco M, Millman RB. The quality of highly regarded adolescent substance abuse treatment programs: results of an in-depth national survey. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2004;158(9):904–9. [PubMed] 31. Mark TL, Song X, Vandivort R, Duffy S, Butler J, Coffey R, et al. Characterizing substance abuse programs that treat adolescents. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2006;31(1):59–65. [PubMed]
32. Winters KC, Botzet AM, Fahnhorst T, Koskey R. Adolescent substance abuse treatment: a review of evidence-based research. In: Leukefeld C, Gullotta T, Tindall MS, editors. Handbook on the prevention and treatment of substance abuse in adolescence. New York: Springer Academic; 2009. pp. 73–96.
33. Grella CE, Joshi V, Hser YI. Effects of comorbidity on treatment processes and outcomes among adolescents in drug treatment programs. J CASA. 2004;13:13–31.
34. Whitney SD, Kelly JF, Myers MG, Brown SA. Parental substance use, family support and outcome following treatment for adolescent psychoactive substance use disorders. JCASA. 2002;11:67–81.
35. Williams R, Chang S. A comprehensive and comparative review of adolescent substance abuse treatment outcome. Clin Psychol Sci Pract. 2000;7:138–66.
36. Anderson KG, Ramo DE, Schulte MT, Cummins K, Brown SA. Substance use treatment outcomes for youth: integrating personal and environmental predictors. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2007;88 (1):42–8. [PMC free article] [PubMed]