1. American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of mental Disorders. 4. Washington DC: American Psychiatric Association; 2000. Text Revision.
2. Lecavalier L. Behavioral and emotional problems in young people with pervasive developmental disorders: Relative prevalence, effects of subject characteristics, and empirical classification. J Autism Dev Disord. 2006;36:1101–1114. [PubMed] 3. Gadow KD, DeVincent CJ, Pomeroy J, Azizian A. Comparison of DSM-IV symptoms in elementary school-aged children with PDD versus clinic and community samples. Autism. 2005;9:392–415. [PubMed]
4. Tonge BJ, Einfeld SL. Psychopathology and intellectual disability: The Australian Child to Adult Longitudinal Study. In: Glidden LM, editor. International Review of Research in Mental Retardation. Vol. 26. San Diego: Academic Press; 2003. pp. 61–91.
5. Williams SK, Scahill L, Vitiello B, Aman MG, Arnold LE, McDougle CJ, McCracken JT, Tierney E, Ritz L, Posey DJ, Swiezy NB, Hollway J, Cronin P, Ghuman J, Wheeler C, Cicchetti D, Sparrow S. Risperidone and adaptive behavior in children with autism. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2006;45:431–439. [PubMed] 6. Aman MG, Lam KL, Van Bourgondien ME. Medication patterns in patients with autism: Temporal, regional, and demographic influences. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2005;15:116–126. [PubMed] 7. Witwer A, Lecavalier L. Treatment incidence and patterns in children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorders. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2005;15:671–681. [PubMed] 8. Oswald DP, Sonenklar NA. Medication use among children with autism spectrum disorders. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2007;17:348–355. [PubMed] 9. Research Units on Pediatric Psychopharmacology Autism Network. Risperidone in children with autism and serious behavior problems. New England Journal of Medicine. 2002;347:314–321. [PubMed] 10. Shea S, Turgay A, Carroll A, Schulz M, Orlik H, Smith I, Dunbar F. Risperidone in the treatment of disruptive behavioral symptoms in children with autistic and other pervasive developmental disorders. Pediatr. 2004 November;(5):114. e634–e641. doi: 10.1542/peds.2003-0264-F. Published online October 18, 2004. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 11. Research Units on Pediatric Psychopharmacology Autism Network. Risperidone treatment of autistic disorder: Longer term benefits and blinded discontinuation after six months. Am J Psychiatry. 2005;162:1361–1369. [PubMed] 12. Scahill L, Aman MG, McDougle CJ, Arnold LE, McCracken JT, Handen B, Johnson C, Dziura J, Butter E, Sukhodolsky D, Swiezy N, Mulick J, Stigler K, Bearss K, Ritz L, Wagner A, Vitiello B. Testing the combined effects of medication and behavioral intervention in children with pervasive developmental disorders. J Autism Dev Disord. 2009;39:720–729. [PubMed]
13. Strain P, Cordisco S. LEAP preschool. In: Handleman JS, Harris SL, editors. Preschool Education Programs for Children with Autism. Austin, TX: Pro-Ed; 1994. pp. 225–244.
14. Dunlap G, Fox L. A demonstration of behavioral support for young children with autism. Journal of Positive Behavioral Interventions. 1999;2:77–87.
15. Koegel LK, Koegel RL, Shoshan Y, McNerney E. Pivotal response intervention II: Preliminary long-term outcome data. Journal of the Association for Persons with Severe Handicaps. 1999;24:186–198.
16. Harris SL, Handleman JS, Arnold MS, Gordon RF. The Douglass Developmental Disabilities Center: Two models of service delivery. In: Handleman JS, Harris SL, editors. Preschool Education Programs for Children with Autism. 2. Austin, TX: Pro-Ed; 2000. pp. 233–260.
17. Newsom C. Autistic disorder. Treatment of childhood disorders. In: Mash EJ, Barkley RA, editors. Treatment of Childhood Disorders. 2. New York: Guilford Press; 1998. pp. 416–467.
18. Johnson CR, Handen BL, Butter E, Wagner A, Mulick J, Sukhodolsky DG, Williams S, Swiezy NB, Arnold LE, Aman MG, Scahill L, Stigler KA, McDougle CJ, Vitiello B, Smith T. Development of a parent training program for children with pervasive developmental disorders. Behavior Interventions. 2007;22:201–221.
19. Charlop MH, Trasowech JE. Increasing autistic children’s daily spontaneous speech. J Appl Behav Anal. 1991;24:747–761. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 20. Ducharme J, Drain T. Errorless compliance training: Improving generalized cooperation with parental request in children with autism. 2004;43:163–177. [PubMed]
21. Kaiser AP, Hancock TB, Niefeld JP. The effects of parent-implemented Enhanced Milieu Teaching on the social communication of children who have autism. Early Education & Development. 2000;11:423–446.
22. Lerman DC, Swiezy N, Perkins-Parks S, Roane HS. Skill acquisition in parents of children with developmental disabilities. Interaction between skill type and instructional format. Res Dev Disabil. 2000;21:183–196. [PubMed] 23. Moes DR, Frea WD. Contextualized behavior support in early intervention for children with autism and their families. J Autism Dev Disord. 2002;32:519–533. [PubMed] 24. Smith T, Buch G, Gamby T. Parent-directed, intensive early intervention for children with pervasive developmental disorder. Res Dev Disabil. 2000;21:297–309. [PubMed]
25. Symon J. Expanding interventions for children with autism: Parents as trainers. Journal of Positive Behavior Interventions. 2005;7:159–173.
26. Drew A, Baird G, Baron-Cohen SA, Cox A, Slonims V, Wheelwright S, Swettenham J, Berry B, Charman T. A pilot randomised control trial of a parent training intervention for pre-school children with autism. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2002;11:266–272. [PubMed] 27. Jocelyn LJ, Casiro OG, Beattie D, Bow J, Kneisz J. Treatment of children with autism: A randomized controlled trial to evaluate a caregiver-based intervention program in community day-care centers. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 1998;19:326–334. [PubMed] 28. Ozonoff S, Cathcart K. Effectiveness of a home program intervention for young children with autism. J Autism Dev Disord. 1998;28:25–32. [PubMed]
29. Schreibman L, Koegel RL. Fostering self-management: Parent-delivered pivotal response training for children with autistic disorder. In: Hibbs ED, Jensen P, editors. Psychosocial Treatments for Child and Adolescent Disorders: Empirically based Strategies for Clinical Practice. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association; 1996. pp. 525–552.
30. Schreibman L, Koegel RL. Training for parents of children with autism: Pivotal responses, generalization, and individualization. In: Hibbs E, Jensen P, editors. Psychosocial Treatment for Child and Adolescent Disorders: Empirically Based Strategies in Clinical Practice. 2. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association; 2005. pp. 605–613.
31. Smith T, Groen AD, Wynn JW. Randomized trial of intensive early intervention for children with pervasive developmental disorder. Am J Ment Retard. 2000;105:269–285. [PubMed] 32. Sofronoff K, Leslie A, Brown W. Parent management training and Asperger syndrome: A randomized controlled trial to evaluate a parent based intervention. Autism. 2004;8:301–317. [PubMed] 33. Tonge B, Brereton A, Kiomall M, MacKinnon A, King N, Rinehart N. Effects on parental mental health of an education and skills training program for parents of young children with autism: A randomized controlled trial. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2006;45:561–569. [PubMed]
34. Research Units on Pediatric Psychopharmacology (RUPP) Autism Network. Parent training for children with pervasive developmental disorders: A multi-site feasibility trial. Behavior Interventions. 2007;22:179–199.
35. Barkley RA, Edwards GH, Robin AL. Defiant Teens: A Clinician’s Manual for Assessment and Intervention. New York: Guilford Press; 1999. pp. 196–198.
36. Lord C, Rutter M, Le Couteur A. Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised: A revised version of a diagnostic interview for caregivers of individuals with possible pervasive developmental disorders. J Autism Dev Disord. 1994;24:659–685. [PubMed] 37. Aman MG, Singh NN, Stewart AW, Field CJ. The Aberrant Behavior Checklist: A behavior rating scale for the assessment of treatment effects. Am J Ment Defic. 1985;89:485–491. [PubMed] 38. Aman MG, Singh NN, Stewart AW, Field CJ. Psychometric characteristics of the Aberrant Behavior Checklist. Am J Ment Defic. 1985;89:492–502. [PubMed]
39. Sparrow SS, Carrey NJ, Wiggins DM, Millin RP. Vineland Adaptive Behavior Scales. Circle Pines, MN: American Guidance Service; 1984. Hosendocus.
40. Cronbach LJ. Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests. Psychometrika. 1951;16:297–334.
41. Arnold LE, Aman MG, Martin A, Collier-Crespin A, Vitiello B, Tierney E, Bell-Bradshaw F, Freeman BJ, Gates-Ulanet P, McCracken JT, McDougle CJ, McGough JJ, Posey DJ, Scahill L, Swiezy NB, Ritz L, Volkmar FR. Assessment in autism multisite randomized clinical trials (RCTs) J Autism Dev Disord. 2000;30:99–111. [PubMed] 42. Scahill L, McDougle CJ, Williams S, Dimitropoulos A, Aman MG, McCracken J, Tierney E, Arnold LE, Lam KL, Vitiello B. The Children’s Yale-Brown Obsessive-Compulsive Scale modified for pervasive developmental disorders. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2006;45:1114–1123. [PubMed] 43. Rogers SJ, Vismara LA. Evidence-based comprehensive treatments for early autism. J Clin Child Adolesc Psychology. 2008;37:8–38. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
44. Brown H, Prescott R. Applied Mixed Models in Medicine. Chichester, UK: Wiley; 1999.
45. Allison PD. University Papers Series on Quantitative Applications in the Social Sciences. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage; 2001. Missing data.
47. Cohen J. A power primer. Psychological Bulletin. 1992;112:155–159. [PubMed]
48. Liang KY, Zeger SL. Longitudinal data analysis using generalized linear models. Biometrika. 1986;73:13–22.
49. The MTA Cooperative Group. A 14-Month randomized clinical trial of treatment strategies for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Vol. 56. 1999. pp. 1073–1086.
50. Swanson JM, Kraemer HC, Hinshaw SP, Arnold LE, Conners CK, Abikoff HB, Clevenger W, Davies M, Elliott G, Greenhill LL, Hechtman L, Hoza B, Jensen PS, March JS, Newcorn JH, Owens L, Pelham WE, Schiller E, Severe J, Simpson S, Vitiello B, Wells CK, Wigal T, Wu M. Clinical relevance of the primary findings of the MTA: Success rates based on severity of ADHD and ODD symptoms at the end of treatment. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2001;40:168–179. [PubMed] 51. Arnold LE, Chuang S, Davies M. Nine months of multicomponent behavioral treatment for ADHD and effectiveness of MTA fading procedures. J Abnorm Child Psychol. 2004;32:39–51. [PubMed] 52. Melvin GA, Tonge BJ, King NJ, Heyne D, Gordon MS, Klimkeit E. A comparison of cognitive-behavioral therapy, sertraline, and their combination for adolescent depression. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2006;45:1151–1161. [PubMed] 53. Smith T, Scahill L, Dawson G, Guthrie D, Lord C, Odom S, Rogers S, Wagner A. Designing research studies on psychosocial interventions in autism. J Autism Dev Disord. 2007;37:354–366. [PubMed]