1. Pandolfi JM, Bradbury RH, Sala E, Hughes TP, Bjorndal KA, et al. Global trajectories of the long-term decline of coral reef ecosystems. Science. 2003;301:955–958. [PubMed] 2. Jackson JBC, Kirby MX, Berger WH, Bjorndal KA, Botsford LW, et al. Historical overfishing and the recent collapse of coastal ecosystems. Science. 2001;293:629–638. [PubMed]
3. Roberts CM. The unnatural history of the sea. Washington, DC: Island Press; 2007.
4. Jennings S, Kaiser MJ, Reynolds JD. Marine Fisheries Ecology. Oxford: Blackwell; 2001.
5. Jennings S, Kaiser MJ. The effects of fishing on marine ecosystems. Advances in Marine Biology. 1998;34:201.
6. Hamilton SL, Caselle JE, Standish JD, Schroeder DM, Love MS, et al. Size-selective harvesting alters life histories of a temperate sex-changing fish. Ecological Applications. 2007;17:2268–2280. [PubMed]
7. Hawkins JP, Roberts CM. Effects of fishing on sex-changing Caribbean parrotfishes. Biological Conservation. 2004;115:213–226.
8. Myers RA, Worm B. Rapid worldwide depletion of predatory fish communities. Nature. 2003;423:280–283. [PubMed] 9. McClenachan L. Documenting loss of large trophy fish from the Florida Keys with historical photographs. Conservation Biology. 2009;23:636–643. [PubMed]
10. Murawski SA, Rago PJ, Trippel EA. Impacts of demographic variation in spawning characteristics on reference points for fishery management. Ices Journal of Marine Science. 2001;58:1002–1014.
11. Choat JH, Robertson DR. Age-based studies. In: Sale PF, editor. Coral Reef Fishes: Dynamics and Diversity in a Complex Ecosystem. San Diego: Academic Press; 2002. pp. 57–80.
12. Robertson DR, Ackerman JL, Choat JH, Posada JM, Pitt J. Ocean surgeonfish Acanthurus bahianus. I. The geography of demography. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 2005;295:229–244.
13. Ruttenberg BI, Haupt AJ, Chiriboga AI, Warner RR. Patterns, causes and consequences of regional variation in the ecology and life history of a reef fish. Oecologia. 2005;145:394–403. [PubMed]
14. Meekan MG, Ackerman JL, Wellington GM. Demography and age structures of coral reef damselfishes in the tropical eastern Pacific Ocean. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 2001;212:223–232.
15. Trip EL, Choat JH, Wilson DT, Robertson DR. Inter-oceanic analysis of demographic variation in a widely distributed Indo-Pacific coral reef fish. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 2008;373:97–109.
16. Robertson DR, Choat JH, Posada JM, Pitt J, Ackerman JL. Ocean surgeonfish Acanthurus bahianus. II. Fishing effects on longevity, size and abundance? Marine Ecology Progress Series. 2005;295:245–256.
17. DeMartini EE, Friedlander AM, Holzwarth SR. Size at sex change in protogynous labroids, prey body size distributions, and apex predator densities at NW Hawaiian atolls. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 2005;297:259–271.
18. DeMartini EE, Friedlander AM, Sandin SA, Sala E. Differences in fish-assemblage structure between fished and unfished atolls in the northern Line Islands, central Pacific. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 2008;365:199–215.
19. Sandin SA, Walsh SM, Jackson JBC. Prey release, trophic cascades, and phase shifts in tropical nearshore marine ecosystems. In: Terborgh J, Estes JA, editors. Trophic Cascades: Predators, Prey, and the Changing Dynamics of Nature. Washington, DC: Island Press; 2010. pp. 71–90.
20. Pinnegar JK, Polunin NVC, Francour P, Badalamenti F, Chemello R, et al. Trophic cascades in benthic marine ecosystems: lessons for fisheries and protected-area management. Environmental Conservation. 2000;27:179–200.
21. Terborgh J, Estes JA, editors. Trophic Cascades: Predators, Prey, and the Changing Dynamics of Nature. Washington, DC: Island Press; 2010.
22. Shurin JB, Borer ET, Seabloom EW, Anderson K, Blanchette CA, et al. A cross-ecosystem comparison of the strength of trophic cascades. Ecology Letters. 2002;5:785–791.
23. Graham NAJ, Evans RD, Russ GR. The effects of marine reserve protection on the trophic relationships of reef fishes on the Great Barrier Reef. Environmental Conservation. 2003;30:200–208.
24. Dulvy NK, Freckleton RP, Polunin NVC. Coral reef cascades and the indirect effects of predator removal by exploitation. Ecology Letters. 2004;7:410–416.
25. Hughes TP, Rodrigues MJ, Bellwood DR, Ceccarelli D, Hoegh-Guldberg O, et al. Phase shifts, herbivory, and the resilience of coral reefs to climate change. Current Biology. 2007;17:360–365. [PubMed] 26. Mumby PJ, Hastings A, Edwards HJ. Thresholds and the resilience of Caribbean coral reefs. Nature. 2007;450:98–101. [PubMed]
27. Paddack MJ, Cowen RK, Sponaugle S. Grazing pressure of herbivorous coral reef fishes on low coral-cover reefs. Coral Reefs. 2006;25:461–472.
28. Newman MJH, Paredes GA, Sala E, Jackson JBC. Structure of Caribbean coral reef communities across a large gradient of fish biomass. Ecology Letters. 2006;9:1216–1227. [PubMed] 29. Sandin SA, Smith JE, DeMartini EE, Dinsdale EA, Donner SD, et al. Baselines and degradation of coral reefs in the Northern Line Islands. Plos One. 2008;3:e1548. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 30. Graham NAJ, McClanahan TR, MacNeil MA, Wilson SK, Polunin NVC, et al. Climate warming, marine protected areas and the ocean-scale integrity of coral reef ecosystems. PLoS One. 2008;3:e3039. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 31. Conover DO, Munch SB, Arnott SA. Reversal of evolutionary downsizing caused by selective harvest of large fish. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences. 2009;276:2015–2020. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
32. Friedlander AM, DeMartini EE. Contrasts in density, size, and biomass of reef fishes between the northwestern and the main Hawaiian islands: the effects of fishing down apex predators. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 2002;230:253–264.
33. Heithaus MR, Frid A, Wirsing AJ, Worm B. Predicting ecological consequences of marine top predator declines. Trends in Ecology & Evolution. 2008;23:202–210. [PubMed] 34. Robbins WD, Hisano M, Connolly SR, Choat JH. Ongoing collapse of coral-reef shark populations. Current Biology. 2006;16:2314–2319. [PubMed] 35. Stallings CD. Fishery-independent data reveal negative effect of human population density on Caribbean predatory fish communities. Plos One. 2009;4:e5333. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 36. Paddack MJ, Reynolds JD, Aguilar C, Appeldoorn RS, Beets J, et al. Recent region-wide declines in Caribbean reef fish abundance. Current Biology. 2009;19:590–595. [PubMed] 37. Dinsdale EA, Pantos O, Smriga S, Edwards RA, Angly F, et al. Microbial ecology of four coral atolls in the Northern Line Islands. Plos One. 2008;3:e1584. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 38. Lafferty KD, Shaw JC, Kuris AM. Reef fishes have higher parasite richness at unfished Palmyra Atoll compared to fished Kiritimati Island. Ecohealth. 2008;5:338–345. [PubMed]
39. Williams ID, Richards BL, Sandin SA, Baum JK, Schroeder RE, et al. Differences in reef fish assemblages between populated and remote reefs spanning multiple archipelagos across the Central and Western Pacific. Journal of Marine Biology Article ID. 2011;826234:1–14.
40. Francis RICC. Are growth-parameters estimated from tagging and age length data comparable? Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 1988;45:936–942.
41. Burnham KP, Anderson DR. Model selection and inference: a practical information-theoretic approach. New York: Springer-Verlag; 1998.
42. Kimura DK. Likelihood methods for the von Bertalanffy growth curve. Fishery Bulletin. 1980;77:765–776.
43. R Development Core Team. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. 2009. Vienna, Austria. http://www.R-project.org: R Foundation for Statistical Computing.
44. Walsh SM. Linking coral reef health and human welfare [Ph.D. Dissertation] San Diego: University of California; 2009.
45. Hairston NG, Smith FE, Slobodkin LB. Community structure, population control, and competition. American Naturalist. 1960;94:421–425.
46. Power ME. Effects of fish in river food webs. Science. 1990;250:811–814. [PubMed] 47. Madin EMP, Gaines SD, Warner RR. Field evidence for pervasive indirect effects of fishing on prey foraging behavior. Ecology. 2010;91:3563–3571. [PubMed] 48. Graham NAJ, Wilson SK, Jennings S, Polunin NVC, Bijoux JP, et al. Dynamic fragility of oceanic coral reef ecosystems. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2006;103:8425–8429. [PubMed] 49. Jones GP, McCormick MI, Srinivasan M, Eagle JV. Coral decline threatens fish biodiversity in marine reserves. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2004;101:8251–8253. [PubMed] 50. Mora C. A clear human footprint in the coral reefs of the Caribbean. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences. 2008;275:767–773. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
51. Hamann IM, Boehlert GW, Wilson CD. Effects of steep topography on the flow and stratification near Palmyra Atoll. Ocean Dynamics. 2004;54:460–473.
52. Gust N, Choat JH, Ackerman JL. Demographic plasticity in tropical reef fishes. Marine Biology. 2002;140:1039–1051.
53. Anderson TW, Carr MH. BINCKE: a highly efficient net for collecting reef fishes. Environmental Biology of Fishes. 1998;51:111–115.
54. Beckerman AP, Uriarte M, Schmitz OJ. Experimental evidence for a behavior-mediated trophic cascade in a terrestrial food chain. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 1997;94:10735–10738. [PubMed]
55. Schmitz OJ, Krivan V, Ovadia O. Trophic cascades: the primacy of trait-mediated indirect interactions. Ecology Letters. 2004;7:153–163.
56. Stearns SC. The evolution of life histories. Oxford; New York: Oxford University Press; 1992. xii, 249 p.