1. Martell JV, Seitz RS, Harada JK, Kobayashi J, Sasaki VK, Wong C. Hospitalization in an urban homeless population: the Honolulu Urban Homeless Project. Ann. Intern. Med. 1992;116(4):299–303. [PubMed] 2. Kushel MB, Vittinghoff E, Haas JS. Factors associated with the health care utilization of homeless persons. JAMA. 2001;285(2):200–206. doi: 10.1001/jama.285.2.200. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 3. Kushel MB, Perry S, Bangsberg D, Clark R, Moss AR. Emergency department use among the homeless and marginally housed: results from a community-based study. Am. J. Public Health. 2002;92(5):778–784. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.92.5.778. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 4. Lee BA, Greif MJ. Homelessness and hunger. J. Health Soc. Behav. 2008;49(1):3–19. doi: 10.1177/002214650804900102. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
5. Stark LR. Barriers to health care for homeless people. In: Jahiel RI, editor. Homelessness: a Prevention-Oriented Approach. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press; 1992. pp. 151–164.
6. Gelberg L, Gallagher TC, Andersen RM, Koegel P. Competing priorities as a barrier to medical care among homeless adults in Los Angeles. Am. J. Public Health. 1997;87(2):217–220. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.87.2.217. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
7. Elvy A. Access to care. In: Brickner PW, Scharer LK, Conanan B, Elvy A, Savarese M, editors. Health Care of Homeless People. New York: Springer; 1985. pp. 223–231.
8. Baggett TP, O’Connell JJ, Singer DE, Rigotti NA. The unmet health care needs of homeless adults: a national study. Am J Public Health. Jul;100(7):1326-1333. [PubMed] 9. Kushel MB, Gupta R, Gee L, Haas JS. Housing instability and food insecurity as barriers to health care among low-income Americans. J. Gen. Intern. Med. 2006;21(1):71–77. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1497.2005.00278.x. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 10. Biros MH, Hoffman PL, Resch K. The prevalence and perceived health consequences of hunger in emergency department patient populations. Acad. Emerg. Med. 2005;12(4):310–317. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2005.tb01949.x. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 11. Sullivan AF, Clark S, Pallin DJ, Camargo CA, Jr. Food security, health, and medication expenditures of emergency department patients. J Emerg Med. Mar 7 2009. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 12. Kersey MA, Beran MS, McGovern PG, Biros MH, Lurie N. The prevalence and effects of hunger in an emergency department patient population. Acad. Emerg. Med. 1999;6(11):1109–1114. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.1999.tb00112.x. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 13. Weiser SD, Frongillo EA, Ragland K, Hogg RS, Riley ED, Bangsberg DR. Food insecurity is associated with incomplete HIV RNA suppression among homeless and marginally housed HIV-infected individuals in San Francisco. J. Gen. Intern. Med. 2009;24(1):14–20. doi: 10.1007/s11606-008-0824-5. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 14. Hwang SW, Bugeja AL. Barriers to appropriate diabetes management among homeless people in Toronto. CMAJ. 2000;163(2):161–165. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 15. Seligman HK, Schillinger D. Hunger and socioeconomic disparities in chronic disease. N Engl J Med. Jul 1;363(1):6-9. [PubMed] 16. Rodriguez RM, Fortman J, Chee C, Ng V, Poon D. Food, shelter and safety needs motivating homeless persons’ visits to an urban emergency department. Ann. Emerg. Med. 2009;53(5):598–602. doi: 10.1016/j.annemergmed.2008.07.046. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
17. Hunger and Homelessness Survey: A Status Report on Hunger and Homelessness in America’s Cities: A 27-City Survey. Washington, DC: The United States Conference of Mayors; 2009.
18. Core indicators of nutritional state for difficult-to-sample populations. J Nutr. Nov 1990;120 Suppl 11:1559-1600. [PubMed]
19. Briefel RR, Woteki CE. Development of food sufficiency questions for the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. J. Nutr. Educ. 1992;24:24S–28S.
20. Alaimo K, Briefel RR, Frongillo EA, Jr, Olson CM. Food insufficiency exists in the United States: results from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III) Am. J. Public Health. 1998;88(3):419–426. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.88.3.419. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
21. Wunderlich GS, Norwood JL, editors. Committee on National Statistics, Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2006. Food insecurity and hunger in the United States: an assessment of the measure. Panel to review the US Department of Agriculture’s measurement of food insecurity and hunger.
22. Bureau of Primary Health Care, Health Resources and Services Administration. Bureau of Primary Health Care Section 330 Grantees Uniform Data System (UDS), Calendar Year 2007 Data: Health Care for the Homeless Rollup Report: US Department of Health and Human Services; 2008.
23. Greene J, Fahrney K, Byron M. Health Care for the Homeless User/Visit Surveys, RTI Project Number 07147.021. Research Triangle Park, NC: RTI International; 2004.
24. Carlson S, Briefel RR. The USDA and NHANES food sufficiency question as an indicator of hunger and food insecurity. Paper presented at: Conference on Food Security Measurement and Research. 1995; Washington, DC.
25. Rose D, Oliveira V. Nutrient intakes of individuals from food-insufficient households in the United States. Am. J. Public Health. 1997;87(12):1956–1961. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.87.12.1956. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
26. Basiotis PP. Validity of the self-reported food sufficiency status item in the US Department of Agriculture Food Consumption Surveys. Paper presented at: Annual Meeting of the American Council in the Consumer Interest, 1992; Toronto, Canada.
27. Cristofar SP, Basiotis PP. Dietary intake and selected characteristics of women age 19–50 years and their children age 1–5 years by reported perception of food sufficiency. J. Nutr. Educ. 1992;24:53–58.
28. Alaimo K, Olson CM, Frongillo EA. Importance of cognitive testing for survey items: an example from food security questionnaires. J. Nutr. Educ. 1999;31(5):269–275. doi: 10.1016/S0022-3182(99)70463-2. [Cross Ref] 29. Kaiser LL, Melgar-Quinonez H, Townsend MS, et al. Food insecurity and food supplies in Latino households with young children. J. Nutr. Educ. Behav. 2003;35(3):148–153. doi: 10.1016/S1499-4046(06)60199-1. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
30. Rose D, Oliveira V. Validation of a Self-reported Measure of Household Food Insufficiency with Nutrient Intake Data. Technical bulletin 1863. Washington, DC: US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service; 1997.
31. Gelberg L, Linn LS, Mayer-Oakes SA. Differences in health status between older and younger homeless adults. J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 1990;38(11):1220–1229. [PubMed] 32. Garibaldi B, Conde-Martel A, O’Toole TP. Self-reported comorbidities, perceived needs, and sources for usual care for older and younger homeless adults. J. Gen. Intern. Med. 2005;20(8):726–730. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1497.2005.0142.x. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
33. Defining Chronic Homelessness: a Technical Guide for HUD Programs. Office of Community Planning and Development, Office of Special Needs Assistance Programs, US Department of Housing and Urban Development. Washington, DC 2007.
34. Koss MP, Koss PG, Woodruff WJ. Deleterious effects of criminal victimization on women’s health and medical utilization. Arch. Intern. Med. 1991;151(2):342–347. doi: 10.1001/archinte.151.2.342. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
35. NIAAA Council Approves Definition of Binge Drinking. NIAAA Newsletter. Vol Winter. Rockville, MD: US Department of Health & Human Services; 2004. p. 3.
36. Babor TF, Higgins-Biddle JC, Saunders JB, Monteiro MG. The Alcohol Use Disorders Test: Guidelines for Use in Primary Care, Second Edition. Document No. WHO/MSD/MSB/01.6a: World Health Organization; 2001.
37. Data File Documentation, National Health Interview Survey of Topics Related to the Year 2000 Health Objectives, 1995. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics; 1997.
38. Townsend MS, Peerson J, Love B, Achterberg C, Murphy SP. Food insecurity is positively related to overweight in women. J. Nutr. 2001;131(6):1738–1745. [PubMed] 39. Dietz WH. Does hunger cause obesity? Pediatrics. 1995;95(5):766–767. [PubMed] 40. Martin KS, Ferris AM. Food insecurity and gender are risk factors for obesity. J. Nutr. Educ. Behav. 2007;39(1):31–36. doi: 10.1016/j.jneb.2006.08.021. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 41. Olson CM. Nutrition and health outcomes associated with food insecurity and hunger. J. Nutr. 1999;129(2S Suppl):521S–524S. [PubMed]
42. Basiotis PP, Lino M. Food insufficiency and prevalence of overweight among adult women. Nutrition Insights. 2002(26).
44. Cepeda MS, Boston R, Farrar JT, Strom BL. Comparison of logistic regression versus propensity score when the number of events is low and there are multiple confounders. Am. J. Epidemiol. 2003;158(3):280–287. doi: 10.1093/aje/kwg115. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 45. Peduzzi P, Concato J, Kemper E, Holford TR, Feinstein AR. A simulation study of the number of events per variable in logistic regression analysis. J. Clin. Epidemiol. 1996;49(12):1373–1379. doi: 10.1016/S0895-4356(96)00236-3. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
46. Burt MR. Urban Institute. Homelessness: Programs and the People They Serve: Findings of the National Survey of Homeless Assistance Providers and Clients: Technical Report. Washington, DC: US Department of Housing and Urban Development, Office of Policy Development and Research; 1999.
47. Medical Expenditure Panel Survey, MEPSnet Query Tools. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD; 2003. http://www.meps.ahrq.gov/mepsweb. Accessed December 29, 2010. 48. Seligman HK, Bindman AB, Vittinghoff E, Kanaya AM, Kushel MB. Food insecurity is associated with diabetes mellitus: results from the National Health Examination and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 1999-2002. J. Gen. Intern. Med. 2007;22(7):1018–1023. doi: 10.1007/s11606-007-0192-6. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 49. Seligman HK, Laraia BA, Kushel MB. Food insecurity is associated with chronic disease among low-income NHANES participants. J Nutr. Feb;140(2):304-310. [PubMed] 50. Vozoris NT, Tarasuk VS. Household food insufficiency is associated with poorer health. J. Nutr. 2003;133(1):120–126. [PubMed] 51. Schlossstein E, St Clair P, Connell F. Referral keeping in homeless women. J. Community Health. 1991;16(6):279–285. doi: 10.1007/BF01324513. [PubMed] [Cross Ref] 52. Nelson K, Brown ME, Lurie N. Hunger in an adult patient population. JAMA. 1998;279(15):1211–1214. doi: 10.1001/jama.279.15.1211. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
53. Bickel G, Nord M, Price C, Hamilton W, Cook J. Guide to Measuring Household Food Security. Alexandria, VA: US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service; 2000.
54. Hamilton WL, Cook JT, Thompson WW, et al. Household Food Security in the United States in 1995. Alexandria, VA: US Department of Agriculture, Food and Consumer Service; 1997.
55. Cohen B, Ohls J, Andrews M, et al. Food Stamp Participants’ Food Security and Nutrient Availability: Final Report. Alexandria, VA: US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service; 1999.