1. Stein MD. Medical consequences of substance abuse. Psychiatr Clin North Am. 1999;22:351–370. [PubMed] 2. Chou SP, Grant BF, Dawson DA. Medical consequences of alcohol consumption—United States, 1992. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 1996;20:1423–1429. [PubMed]
3. Sikkink J, Fleming M. Adverse health effects and medical complications of alcohol, nicotine, and drug use. In: Fleming MF, Barry KL, editors. Addictive Disorders. Mosby–Year Book; St Louis, Mo: 1991. pp. 145–168.
4. Heischober B, Miller MA. Methamphetamine abuse in California. In: Miller MA, Kozel NJ, editors. Methamphetamine Abuse: Epidemiologic Issues and Implications. US National Institute on Drug Abuse; Rockville, Md: 1991. pp. 60–71.
5. Weisner C. Chronic alcohol and drug abuse. In: Newcomer RJ, Benjamin AE, editors. Indicators of Chronic Health Conditions: Monitoring Community-Level Delivery Systems. Johns Hopkins University Press; Baltimore, Md: 1997. pp. 260–301.
6. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism Alcohol and Health: Seventh Special Report to the U.S. Congress 1990. US Dept of Health and Human Services; Washington, DC: 1990. DHHS publication (ADM) 90-1656.
7. Alaja R, Seppa K, Sillanaukee P, et al. for the European Consultation-Liaison Workgroup Physical and mental comorbidity of substance use disorders in psychiatric consultations. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 1998;22:1820–1824. [PubMed] 8. Mendelson JH, Babor TF, Mello NK, Pratt H. Alcoholism and prevalence of medical and psychiatric disorders. J Stud Alcohol. 1986;47:361–366. [PubMed] 9. Moos RH, Brennan PL, Mertens JR. Mortality rates and predictors of mortality among late-middle-aged and older substance abuse patients. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 1994;18:187–195. [PubMed] 10. Kessler RC, Nelson CB, McGonagle KA, Edlund MJ, Frank RG, Leaf PJ. The epidemiology of cooccurring addictive and mental disorders: implications for prevention and service utilization. Am J Orthopsychiatry. 1996;66:17–31. [PubMed] 11. Weisner C, Conell C, Hunkeler EM, et al. Drinking patterns and problems of the “stably insured”:a study of the membership of a health maintenance organization. J Stud Alcohol. 2000;61:121–129. [PubMed] 12. Wheeler JRC, Fadel H, D'Aunno TA. Ownership and performance of outpatient substance abuse treatment centers. Am J Public Health. 1992;82:711–718. [PubMed] 13. Weisner C, Schmidt LA. Expanding the frame of health services research in the drug abuse field. Health Serv Res. 1995;30:707–726. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
14. Institute of Medicine Broadening the Base of Treatment for Alcohol Problems. National Academy Press; Washington, DC: 1990.
15. Kunnes R, Niven R, Gustafson T, et al. Financing and payment reform for primary health care and substance abuse treatment. J Addict Dis. 1993;12:23–42. [PubMed] 16. Etheridge RM, Craddock SG, Dunteman GH, Hubbard RL. Treatment services in two national studies of community-based drug abuse treatment programs. J Subst Abuse. 1995;7:9–26. [PubMed] 17. McLellan AT, Alterman AI, Metzger DS, et al. Similarity of outcome predictors across opiate, cocaine, and alcohol treatments: role of treatment services. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1994;62:1141–1158. [PubMed]
18. Gerstein DR, Harwood HJ, editors. Treating Drug Problems, Vol. 1: A Study of the Evolution, Effectiveness, and Financing of Public and Private Drug Treatment Systems. National Academy Press; Washington, DC: 1990.
19. Samet JH, Friedmann P, Saitz R. Benefits of linking primary medical care and substance abuse services: patient, provider, and societal perspectives. Arch Intern Med. 2001;161:85–91. [PubMed] 20. Umbricht-Schneiter A, Ginn DH, Pabst KM, Bigelow GE. Providing medical care to methadone clinic patients: referral vs on-site care. Am J Public Health. 1994;84:207–210. [PubMed] 21. Selwyn PA, Budner NS, Wasserman WC, Arno PS. Utilization of on-site primary care services by HIV-seropositive and seronegative drug users in a methadone maintenance program. Public Health Rep. 1993;108:492–500. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 22. Willenbring ML, Olson DH. A randomized trial of integrated outpatient treatment for medically ill alcoholic men. Arch Intern Med. 1999;159:1946–1952. [PubMed]
23. Edmunds M, Frank R, Hogan M, McCarty D, Robinson-Beale R, Weisner C, editors. Managing Managed Care: Quality Improvement in Behavioral Health. Institute of Medicine, National Academy Press; Washington, DC: 1997.
24. Sturm R, McCulloch J. Mental health and substance abuse benefits in carve-out plans and the Mental Health Parity Act of 1996. J Health Care Finance. 1998;24:82–92. [PubMed] 25. Weisner C, Mertens J, Parthasarathy S, et al. The outcome and cost of alcohol and drug treatment in an HMO: day hospital versus traditional outpatient regimens. Health Serv Res. 2000;35:791–812. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 26. Weisner C, McLellan AT, Hunkeler EM. Addiction severity index data from general membership and treatment samples of HMO members: one case of norming the ASI. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2000;19:103–109. [PubMed]
27. Benzer DG. Medical consequences of alcohol addiction. In: Miller NS, editor. The Comprehensive Handbook of Drug and Alcohol Addiction. Marcel Dekker; New York, NY: 1991. pp. 551–571.
28. Jentzen J. Medical complications of cocaine abuse. Am J Clin Pathol. 1993;100:475–476. [PubMed]
29. Edwards G, Peters TJ. Conclusions. In: Peters TJ, editor. Alcohol Misuse: A European Perspective. Harwood Academic Publisher; Amsterdam, the Netherlands: 1996. pp. 195–197.
30. Hubbard JR, Franco SE, Onaivi ES. Marijuana: medical implications. Am Fam Physician. 1999;60:2583–2588. [PubMed] 31. Rubin RB, Neugarten J. Medical complications of cocaine: changes in pattern of use and spectrum of complications. J Toxicol Clin Toxicol. 1992;30:1–12. [PubMed] 32. Gray JD. Medical consequences of cocaine. Can Fam Physician. 1993;39:1975–1976. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
33. Butterworth K. Overview of the biomedical project on alcohol and health. In: Verschuren PM, editor. Health Issues Related to Alcohol Consumption. ILSI Press; Washington, DC: 1993. pp. 1–16.
34. Ray GT, Collin F, Lieu T, et al. The cost of health conditions in a health maintenance organization. Med Care Res Rev. 2000;57:92–109. [PubMed] 35. Selby JV. Linking automated databases for research in managed care settings. Ann Intern Med. 1997;127(8 pt 2):719–724. [PubMed] 36. McLellan AT, Kushner H, Metzger D, et al. The Fifth Edition of the Addiction Severity Index. J Subst Abuse Treat. 1992;9:199–213. [PubMed]
37. Stewart RG, Ware JG. The Medical Outcomes Study. Rand Corp Press; Santa Monica, Calif: 1989.
38. Tarlov AR, Ware JE, Jr, Greenfield S, Nelson EC, Perrin E, Zubkoff M. The Medical Outcomes Study: an application of methods for monitoring the results of medical care. JAMA. 1989;262:925–930. [PubMed]
39. American Psychiatric Association Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Fourth Edition American Psychiatric Association; Washington, DC: 1994.
40. McLellan AT, Alterman AI, Cacciola J, Metzger D, O'Brien CP. A new measure of substance abuse treatment: initial studies of the treatment services review. J Nerv Ment Dis. 1992;180:101–110. [PubMed]
41. Cooper R. The rise of activity-based costing, part three: how many cost drivers do you need, and how do you select them? Cost Manage. 1989:35–45. Winter.
42. Cooper R, Kaplan RS. Activity-based systems: measuring the cost of resource usage. Account Horizons. 1992;6(3):1–13.
43. Mullahy J, Manning WG. Statistical issues in cost-effectiveness. In: Sloan F, editor. Valuing Health Care: Costs, Benefits and Effectiveness of Pharmaceuticals and Other Medical Technologies. Cambridge University Press; New York, NY: 1994. pp. 149–184.
44. Manning WG, Fryback DG, Weinstein MC. Reflecting uncertainty in cost-effectiveness analysis. In: Gold MR, Siegel JE, Russell LB, Weinstein MC, editors. Health and Medicine. Oxford University Press; New York, NY: 1996. pp. 236–275.
45. Efron B, Tibshirani RJ. An Introduction to the Bootstrap. Chapman & Hall; London, England: 1993.
46. Briggs A, Fenn P. Confidence intervals or surfaces? uncertainty on the cost-effectiveness plane. Health Econ. 1998;7:723–740. [PubMed] 47. Schmittdiel J, Selby JV, Grumbach K, Quesenberry CP., Jr Choice of a personal physician and patient satisfaction in a health maintenance organization. JAMA. 1997;278:1596–1599. [PubMed] 48. Parthasarathy S, Weisner C, Hu TW, Moore C. Association of outpatient alcohol and drug treatment with health care utilization and cost: revisiting the offset hypothesis. J Stud Alcohol. 2001;62:89–97. [PubMed] 49. Fleming MF, Barry KL, Manwell LB, Johnson K, London R. Brief physician advice for problem alcohol drinkers: a randomized controlled trial in community-based primary care practices. JAMA. 1997;277:1039–1045. [PubMed]