1. Almeida OP, Fenner S. Bipolar disorders: similarities and differences between patients will illness onset before and after 65 years. International Psychogeriatrics. 2002;14(3):311–322. [PubMed]
2. Young RC. In: Bipolar disorders, in Late-Life Depression. Roose SP, Sackeim HA, editors. New York: Oxford U. Press; 2004. pp. 34–48.
3. Bartels SJ, Forester B, Miles KM, Joyce T. Mental health service use by elderly patients with bipolar disorder and unipolar major depression. The American journal of geriatric psychiatry. 2000;8(2):160–166. [PubMed] 4. Sajatovic M, Vernon L, Semple W. Clinical characteristics and health resource use of men and women veterans with serious mental illness. Psych Serv. 1997;48(11):1461–1463. [PubMed]
5. Satlin A, Lipzin B, Salzman C. Diagnosis and treatment of mania, in Clinical Geriatric Psychopharmacology. New York: Williams and Wilkins; 1998.
6. Charney DS, Reynolds CF, Lewis L, Lebowitz BD, Sunderland T, Alexopoulos GS, Blazer D, Katz IR, Meyers BS, Arean PA, Borson S, Brown C, Bruce ML, Callahan, Charlson ME, Cornwell Y, Devanand DP, Gibson MJ, Gottlieb GL, Krishnan KR, Laden SK, Lidz CW, Lyketsos CG, Mulsant BH, Niederehe G, Olin JT, Oslin DW, Pearson J, Persky T, Pollock BG, Raetzman S, Reynolds M, Salzman C, Schulz R, Schwenk TL, Scolnick E, Unutzer J, Weissman M, Young RC. Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance consensus statement on the unmet needs in diagnosis and treatment of mood disorders in late life. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2003;60:664–672. [PubMed] 7. Snowdon J. The relevance of guidelines for treatment mania in old age. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2000;15(9):779–783. [PubMed] 8. Dhingra U, Rabins PV. Mania in the elderly: a five-to-seven year follow-up. J Am Ger Soc. 1991;39:581–583. [PubMed] 9. Gildengers AG, Mulsant BH, Begley AE, McShea M, Stack JA, Miller MD, Fagiolini A, Kupfer DJ, Young RC, Reynolds CF. A pilot study of standardized treatment in geriatric bipolar disorder. The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2005;13(4):319–323. [PubMed] 10. van der Velde CD. Effectiveness of lithium carbonate in the treatment of manic-depressive illness. Am J Psychiatry. 1970;123:345–351. [PubMed] 11. Himmelhoch JM, Neil JF, May SJ, Fuchs CZ, Licata SM. Age, dementia, dyskinesias, and lithium response. The American Journal of Psychiatry. 1980;137(8):941–945. [PubMed]
12. Wertham FI. A group of benign chronic psychoses:prolonged manic excitements with a statisticalstudy of age,duration and frequency in 2,000 manic attacks. Am J Psychiatry. 1929;86:17–78.
13. Shulman KI, Tohen M, Satlin A, Gopinath M, Kalunian D. Mania compared with unipolar depression in old age. Am J Psychiatry. 1993;149(3):341–345. [PubMed] 14. Gitlin MJ, Swendsen J, Heller TL, Hammen C. Relapse and impairment in bipolar disorder. The American journal of psychiatry. 1995;152(11):1635–1640. [PubMed] 15. Cooke RG, Robb JC, Young LT, Joffe RT. Well-being and functioning in patients with bipolar disorder assessed using the MOS 20-item short form (SF-20) J Affective Disorder. 1996;39(2):93–97. [PubMed] 16. Bartels SJ, Meuser KT, Miles KM. A comparative study of elderly patients with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder in nursing homes and the community. Schiz Res. 1997;27(2–3):181–190. [PubMed] 17. Bruce ML. Depression and disability in late life: directions for future research. Am J Ger Psychiatry. 2001 Spring;9(2):102–112. [PubMed] 18. Klausner EJ, Clarkin JF, Lieberman S, Pupo C, Abrams R, Alexopoulos GS. Late-life depression and functional disability: the role of goal-focused group psychotherapy. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 1998;13:707–716. [PubMed]
19. Alexopoulos GS, Vrontou C, Kakuma T, Meyers BS, Young RC, Klausner E, Clarkin J. Disability in geriatric depression. APA. :1995.
20. Beyer JL, Kuchibhatala M, Cassidy F, Looney C, Krishnan KRR. Social support in older bipolar patients. Bipolar Disord. 2002;5(1):22–27. [PubMed] 21. Bostwick JM, Pankratz VS. Affective disorders and suicide risk. Am.J.Psychiatry. 2000;157:1925–1932. [PubMed] 22. Harris EC, Barraclough B. Suicide as an outcome for mental disorders. Br.J.Psychiatry. 1997;170:205–228. [PubMed] 23. Kessing LV, Nilsson FM. Increased risk of developing dementia in patients with major affective disorders compared to patients with other medical illnesses. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2003;73:261–269. [PubMed] 24. Shulman KI, Rochon P, Sykora K, Anderson G, Marndani M, Bronskill S, Tan C. Changing prescription patterns for lithium and divalproex in old age: shifting without evidence. Brit Med J. 2003;326:960–961. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 25. Ketter TA. Monotherapy versus combined treatment with second-generation antipsychotics in bipolar disorder. J Clin Psychiatry. 2008;69 suppl 5:9–15. [PubMed]
26. Suppes T, Dennehy EB, Swann AC, Bowden CL, Calabrese JR, Hirschfield RM, Keck PE, Sachs GS, Crismon ML, Toprac MG, Shon SP. Texas Consensus Conference Panel on Medication Treatment of Bipolar Disorder. Report of the Texas Consensus Conference Panel on Medication Treatment of Bipolar Disorder. J Clin Psychiatry; 2000; pp. 288–299.
27. American Psychiatric Association. Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with bipolar disorder (revision) Am J Psychiary. 2002;159(4, Suppl):1–50. [PubMed] 28. Bowden CL, Brugger AM, Swann AC, Calabrese JR, Janicak PG, Petty F, Dilsaver SC, Davis JM, Rush AJ, Small JG. Efficacy of divalproex vs lithium and placebo in the treatment of mania. JAMA. 1994;271(2):918–924. [PubMed] 30. Goodwin FK, Fireman B, Simon GE, Hunkeler EM, Lee JL, Revicki D. Suicide risk in bipolar disorder during treatment with lithium and divalproex. Jounal of the American Medical Association. 2003;290(11):1467–1473. [PubMed] 31. Hewick DS, Newburg P, Hopwood S, Naylor G, Moody J. Age as a factor affecting lithium therapy. Br K Clin Pharmacol. 1977;4:201–205. [PubMed] 32. Murray E, Hopwood S, Balfour J. The influence of age on lithium efficacy and side-effects in outpatients. Psychol Med. 1983;13:53–60. [PubMed] 33. Chen ST, Altshuler LL, Melnyk KA, Erhart SM, Miller E, Mintz J. Efficacy of lithium vs valproate in the treatment of mania in the elderly: a retrospective study. J Clin Psychiatry. 1999;60:181–185. [PubMed] 34. Cade JFJ. Lithium salts in the treatment of psychotic excitement. The Med J Australia. 1949;36:349–352. [PubMed]
35. Umapathy C, Mulsant BH, Pollock BG. Bipolar disorder in the elderly. Psychiatric Annals. 2000;30:473–480.
36. Stoudemire A, Hill CD, Lewiston BJ, et al. Lithium intolerance in a medical-psychiatric population. Gen Hospital Psychiatry. 1998;20:85–90. [PubMed] 37. Shulman KI, Mackenzie S, Hardy BG. The clinical use of lithium carbonate in old age: a review. Prog Neuropsych Biol Psychiatry. 1987;11:59–64. [PubMed]
38. Schaffer CB, Garvey MJ. Use of lithium in acutely manic elderly patients. Clin Gerontologist. 1984;3:58–60.
39. Young RC, Kalayam B, Tsuboyama G, Stokes P, Mattis S, Alexopoulos GS. Response to lithium across the age spectrum. Society for Neuroscience. 1992;10:669.4.
40. Tariot PN, Schneider LS, Mintzer JE, Cutler AJ, Cunningham MR, Thomas JW. Safety and tolerability of divalproex sodium in the treatment of signs and symptoms of mania in elderly patients with dementia: Results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Current Ther Res. 2001;62(1):51–67.
41. Sajatovic M. Treatment of bipolar disorder in older adults. Int J Geriatric Psychiatry. 2002;17:865–873. [PubMed] 42. Wylie ME, Mulsant BH, Pollock B, Sweet RA, Zubenko GS, Begley AE, Gregor M, Frank E, Reynolds CF, Kupfer DJ. Age at onset in geriatric bipolar disorder. Am J Ger Psychiatry. 1999;7(1):77–83. [PubMed] 43. Shulman K, Post F. Bipolar affective disorders in old age. Br J Psychiatry. 1980;136:26–32. [PubMed] 44. Glasser M, Rabins P. Mania in the elderly. Age and Aging. 1984;13:210–213. [PubMed] 45. Niedermier JA, Nasrallah HA. Clinical correlates of response to valproate in geriatric inpatients. Ann Clin Psychiatry. 1998;10(4):165–168. [PubMed] 46. Gnam W, Flint AJ. New onset rapid cycling bipolar disorder in an 87 year old woman. Can J Psychiatry. 1993;38(5):324–326. [PubMed] 47. Kando JC, Tohen M, Castillo J, Zarate CA. The use of valproate in an elderly population with affective symptoms. J Clin Psychiatry. 1996;57:238–240. [PubMed] 48. McFarland BH, Miller MR, Strumfjord AA. Valproate use in the older manic patient. J Clin Psychiatry. 1990;51(11):479–481. [PubMed] 49. Mordecai DJ, Sheikh JI, Glick ID. Divalproex for the treatment of geriatric bipolar disorder. Int J Ger Psychia. 1999;14:494–496. [PubMed] 50. Noagiul S, Narayan M, Nelson CJ. Divalproex treatment of mania in elderly patients. Am J Ger Psychiatry. 1998;6(3):257–262. [PubMed] 51. Puryear LJ, Kunik ME, Workman R. Tolerability of divalproex solium in elderly psychiatric patients with mixed diagnoses. J Geriatric Psychiatry & Neurology. 1995;8:234–237. [PubMed] 52. Risinger RC, Risby ED, Risch SC. Safety and efficacy of divalproex sodium in elderly bipolar patients. J Clin Psychiatry. 1994;55(5):215. [PubMed] 53. Young RC, Gyulai L, Mulsant BH, Flint A, Beyer JL, Shulman KI, Reynolds CF. Pharmacotherapy of bipolar disorder in old age: review and recommendations. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2004;12(4):342–357. [PubMed]
54. Beyer J, Siegal A, Kennedy J, et al. Olanzapine, divalproex and placebo treatment non-head-to-head comparisons of older adult acute mania. Presented at: 10th Congress of the International Psychogeriatric Association. 2001;13(S2):203.
55. Jefferson JW, Greist JH, Baudhuin M. Lithium: interactions with other drugs. J Clin Psychopharm. 1981;1:124–131. [PubMed]
56. Alexopoulos GS, Streim J, Carpenter D, Docherty JP. Using antipsychotic agents in older patients. Expert Consensus Guideline Series. J.Clin.Psychiatry. 2004;65 Supplement 2:1–105.
57. Sajatovic M, Coconcea N, Ignacio RV, Blow FC, Hays RW, Cassidy K, Meyer WJ. Meyer WJ: Aripiprazole therapy in 20 older adults with bipolar disorder: a 12-week, open-label trial. The Journal of clinical psychiatry. 2008;69(1):41–46. [PubMed] 58. Sajatovic M, Calabrese JR, Mullen J. Quetiapine for the treatment of bipolar mania in older adults. Bipolar disorders. 2008;10(6):662–671. [PubMed]
59. Sachs G, Printz DJ, Kahn DA, Carpenter D, Docherty JP. Medication treatment of bipolar disorder - The Expert Consensus Guideline Series. A Postgraduate Medicine Special Report. 2000 April
60. Sajatovic M, et al. Aripiprazole in geriatric bipolar patients. Annual Meeting American College of Neuropsychopharmacology; 2006; Boca Raton.
61. Sajatovic M. Quetiapine in the treatment of mania in older adults. Atlanta, GA: American Psychiatric Association; 2005.
62. Robillard M, Conn DK. Lamotrigine use in geriatric patients with bipolar depression. Can J Psychiatry. 2002;47:767–770. 8. [PubMed] 63. Kasarskis EJ, Kuo CS, Berger R, Nelson KR. Carbamazepine-induced cardiac dysfunction. Arch Intern Med. 1992;152:186–191. [PubMed]
64. American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual. 1994
65. Young RC, Murphy CF, Heo M, Alexopoulos GS. Cognitive impairment in bipolar disorder in old age:literature review and findings in manic patients. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2005 [PubMed] 66. Katz IR, Simpson GM, Curlik SM, Parmelee PA, Muhly C. Pharmacologic treatment of major depression for elderly patients in residential care settings. J.Clin.Psychiatry. 1990;51(7, Suppl):41–47. [PubMed] 67. Young RC, Biggs JT, Ziegler VE, Meyer DA. A rating scale for mania: Reliability, validity, and sensitivity. British Journal of Psychiatry. 1978;133:429–435. [PubMed] 68. Spearing MK, Post RM, Leverich GS, Brandt D, Nolen W. Modification of the Clinical Global Impressions (CGI) scale for use in bipolar illlness (CGI-BP) Psychiatry Research. 1997;73:159–171. [PubMed] 69. Hamilton M. A rating scale for depression. Neuro Neurosurg Psychia. 1960;23:56–62. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
70. Young RC, Schulberg HC, Peasley-Miklus C. In: Mood rating scales and psychopathology of mania in old age, in Bipolar Disorder Across the Age Span. Sajatovic M, Blow F, editors. Johns Hopkins University; 2007.
71. Epping-Jordan JA, Ustun TB. The WHODAS-II: leveling the playing field for all disorders. WHO Mental Health Bulletin. 2000;6:5–6.
72. Ware JE, Kosinski M, Keller SD. A 12-Item Short-Form Health Survey: construction of scales and preliminary tests of reliability and validity. Medical care. 1996;34(3):220–233. [PubMed] 73. Young RC, Klerman GL. Mania in late life: Focus on age at onset. Am J Psychiatry. 1992;149:867–876. [PubMed] 74. Sackeim HA. The definition and meaning of treatment-resistant depression. J. Clinical Psychiatry. 2001;62 Suppl 16:10–17. [PubMed] 75. Black DW, Winokur G, Bell S, Nasrallah A, Hulbert J. Complicated mania. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1988;45(3):232–236. [PubMed] 76. Boone KB, Miller BLBL, Lesser IM, Mehringer CM, Hill-Gutierrez E, Goldberg MA, Berman NG. Neuropsychological correlates of white-matter lesions in healthy elderly subjects. A threshold effect. Arch Neurol. 1992;49(5):549–554. [PubMed] 77. Wolf PA, D'Agostino RB, Belanger AJ, Kannel WB. Probability of stroke: a risk profile from the Framingham Study. Stroke. 1991;22(3):312–318. [PubMed] 78. Lingjaerde O, Ahlfors UG, Bech P, Dencker SJ, Elgen K. The UKU Side Effect Rating Scale. A new comprehensive rating scale for psychotropic drugs and cross-sectional study of side effects in neuroleptic-treated patients. Acta Psychiatr Scand Suppl. 1987;334(1):1–100. [PubMed] 79. Goldberg JF, Garno JL, Leon AC, Koscis JH, Portera L. Rapid titration of mood stabilizers predicts remission from mixed or pure mania in bipolar patients. J.Clin.Psychiatry. 1998;59(4):151–158. [PubMed] 80. Bowden CL, Janicak PG, Orsulak P, Swann AC, et al. Relation of serum valproate concentration to response in mania. Am.J.Psychiatry. 1996;153(6):765–770. [PubMed] 81. Sproule B. Lithium in bipolar disorder. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2002;41(9):639–660. [PubMed] 82. Jeste DV, Rockwell E, Harris MJ, et al. Conventional vs newer antipsychotics in elderly patients. Am J Ger Psychiary. 1999;7(1):70. [PubMed] 83. Sachs G, Grossman F, Ghaemi SN, Okamoto A, Bowden CL. Combination of a mood stabilizer with risperidone or haloperiodol for treatment of acute mania. Am.J.Psychiatry. 2002;159(1146):1154. [PubMed] 84. Tohen M, Chengappa KN, Suppes T, Zarate CA, Jr, Calabrese JR, Bowden CL. Efficacy of olanzapine in combination with valproate or lithium in the treatment of mania in patients partially nonresponsive to valproate or lithium monotherapy. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2002;59(1):62–69. (Jan 2002) [PubMed]
85. Frye M. Neuropsychiatric Institue. UCLA; 2003. The efficacy of atypical antipsychotics in acute treatment of bipolar disorder; pp. 9–34.
86. Mensick GJR, Sloof CJ. Novel antipsychotics in bipolar and schizoaffective mania. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica. 2004;109:405–419. [PubMed]
87. Young RC, deAsis J, Hull J, Alexopoulos GS. Lateral ventricle enlargement and acute treatment outcome in geriatric manic disorder. Abstract NCDEU Annual Mtg. 2000
88. Jeste DV, Barak Y, Madhusoondanan S, Grossman F, Gharabawi G. International multisite double-blind trial of the atypical antipsychotics risperidone and olanzapine in 175 elderly patients with chronic schizophrenia. Am.J.Geriatric Psychiatry. 2003;11(6):638–647. [PubMed] 89. Baldessarini RJ. Treatment research in bipolar disorder: issues and recommendations. CNS Drugs. 2002;16(11):721–729. [PubMed] 90. Lieberman JA, Stroup TS, McEvoy JP, Swartz MS, Rosenheck RA, Perkins DO, Keefe RSE, Davis SM, Davis CE, Lebowitz BD, Severe J, Hsiao JK. Effectiveness of antipsychotic drugs in patients with chronic schizophrenia. New England Journal of Medicine, The. 2005;353(12):1209–1223. [PubMed] 91. Heiss G, Wallace R, Anderson GL, Aragaki A, Beresford SAA, Brzyski R, Chlebowski RT, Gass M, LaCroix A, Manson JE, Prentice RL, Rossouw J, Stefanick ML. Health risks and benefits 3 years after stopping randomized treatment with estrogen and progestin. JAMA. 2008;299(9):1036–1045. [PubMed] 92. Wells KB, Sherbourne C, Schoenbaum M, Duan N, Meredith L, Unützer J, Miranda J, Carney MF, Rubenstein LV. Impact of disseminating quality improvement programs for depression in managed primary care: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2000;283(2):212–220. [PubMed] 93. Unützer J, Katon W, Callahan CM, Williams JW, Hunkeler E, Harpole L, Hoffing M, Della Penna RD, Noël PH, Lin EHB, Areán PA, Hegel MT, Tang L, Belin TR, Oishi S, Langston C. Collaborative care management of late-life depression in the primary care setting: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2002;288(22):2836–2845. [PubMed] 94. Bruce ML, Ten Have TR, Reynolds CF, Katz II, Schulberg HC, Mulsant BH, Brown GK, McAvay GJ, Pearson JL, Alexopoulos GS. A randomized control trial to reduce suicidal ideation and depressive symptoms in depressed older primary care patients: The PROSPECT Study. JAMA. 2004;291(9):1081–1091. [PubMed] 95. Brown GK, Ten Have T, Henriques GR, Xie SX, Hollander JE, Beck AT. Cognitive therapy for the prevention of suicide attempts: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2005;294(5):563–570. [PubMed] 96. Rynn M, Khalid-Khan S, Garcia-Espana JF, Etemad B, Rickels K. Early response and 8-week treatment outcome in GAD. Depression and anxiety. 2006;23(8):461–465. [PubMed] 97. Sherwood M, Thornton AE, Honer WG. A meta-analysis of profile and time-course of symptom change in acute schizophrenia treated with atypical antipsychotics. The international journal of neuropsychopharmacology. 2006;9(3):357–366. [PubMed] 98. Touchon J, Bergman H, Bullock R, Rapatz G, Nagel J, Lane R. Response to rivastigmine or donepezil in Alzheimer's patients with symptoms suggestive of concomitant Lewy body pathology. Current medical research and opinion. 2006;22(1):49–59. [PubMed]
99. Food and Drug Administration: Guidelines on general considerations for clinical trials. International conference on harmonization, Federal Register; 1997; pp. 66113–66119.
100. Lavori PW. Clinical trials in psychiatry: should protocol deviation censor patient data? Neuropsychopharmacology. 1992;6(1):39–48. discussion 49. [PubMed]
101. Marcus S, Gibbons R. Estimating the efficacy of receiving treatment in randomized clinical trials with noncompliance. Journal Health Services and Outcomes Research Methodology. 2001;2:247–258.
102. TenHave T, Norman S-L, Marcus S, Brown CH, Lavori P. Intent-to-treat vs. non-intent-to-treat analyses under treatment non-adherence mental health randomized trials. Psychiatric Annals. 2008;38:12–23. [PMC free article] [PubMed]