1. Campbell J, McCloy R, Oppler S, Sager C. A theory of performance. In: Schmitt N, Borman W, editors. Personnel Selection in organizations. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass; 1993. pp. 35–71.
2. Mathieu J, Maynard MT, Rapp T, Gilson L. Team effectiveness 1997-2007: A review of recent advancements and a glimpse into the future. J Manage. 2008;34:410–76.
3. Salas E, Sims D, Burke CS. Is there a big five in teamwork? Small Group Res. 2005;36:555–99.
4. Salas E, Rosen MA, Burke CS, Nicholson D, Howse WR. Markers for Enhancing Team Cognition in Complex Environments: The Power of Team Performance Diagnosis. Aviat Space Environ Med. 2007;78:B77–85. [PubMed]
5. Cannon-Bowers JA E. S. A framework for developing team performance measures in training. In: Brannick MT, Salas E, Prince C, editors. Team performance and measurement: Theory, methods, and applications. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum; 1997. pp. 45–62.
6. Salas E, Sims D, Burke CS. Is there a big five in teamwork? Small Group Res. 2005;36:555–99.
7. Magee JH. Validation of medical modeling and simulation training devices and systems. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2003;94:196–8. [PubMed]
8. Baker DP, Salas E, Barach P, Battles J, King H. The relation between teamwork and patient safety. In: Carayon P, editor. Handbook of human factors and ergonomics in health care and patient safety. Mahwah NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum; 2007. pp. 259–71.
9. Salas E, Wilson KA, Murphy CE, King HB, Salisbury M. Communicating, coordinating, and cooperating when lives depend on it: Tips for teamwork. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2008;34:333–41. [PubMed]
10. Salas E, Rosen MA, Burke CS, Goodwin GF. The wisdom of collectives in organizations: An Update of the Teamwork Competencies. In: Salas E, Goodwin GF, Burke CS, editors. Team effectiveness in complex organizations: Cross-disciplinary perspectives and approaches. New York: Routledge; 2009. pp. 39–79.
11. Alliger GM, Tannenbaum SI, Bennett W, Traver H, Shotland A. A meta-analysis of the relations among training criteria. Personnel Psychol. 1997;50:341–58.
12. Chen G, Matheiu JE. Goal orientation dispositions and performance trajectories: The role of supplementary and complementary situational inducements. Organ Behav Hum Decis Process. 2008;106:21–38.
13. VandeWalle D, Cummings LL. A test of the influence of goal orientation on the feedback-seeking process. J Appl Psychol. 1997;82:390–400. [PubMed] 14. Horn SD. Performance measures and clinical outcomes. J Am Med Assoc. 2006;296:2731–2. [PubMed] 15. Baker D, Salas E. Analyzing team performance: In the eye of the beholder? Mil Psychol. 1996;8:235–45. [PubMed] 16. Black N. Why we need observational studies to evaluate the effectiveness of healthcare. Br Med J. 1996;312:1215–8. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 17. Malec JF, Torsher LC, Dunn WF, Wiegmann DA, Arnold JJ, Brown DA, et al. The Mayo High Performance Teamwork Scale: Reliability and Validity for Evaluating Key Crew Resource Management Skills. Simul Healthc. 2007;2:4–10. [PubMed] 18. Wright BG, Phillips-Bute BG, Petrusa ER, Griffin KL, Hobbs GW, Taekman JM. Assessing teamwork in medical education and practice: Relating behavioral teamwork ratings and clinical performance. Med Teach. 2009;31:30–8. [PubMed] 19. Frankel A, Gardner R, Maynard L, Kelly A. Using the communication and teamwork skills (CATS) assessment to measure health care team performance. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2007;33:549–58. [PubMed]
20. Thornton GC., III Assessment centers in human resource management. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley; 1992.
21. Thornton GC, III, Mueller-Hanson R. Developing organizational simulations: A guide for practitioners and students. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum; 2004.
22. Fowlkes JE, Dwyer DJ, Oser RL, Salas E. Event-based approach to training (EBAT) Int J Aviat Psychol. 1998;8:209–21.
23. Fowlkes JE, Lane NE, Salas E, Franz T, Oser R. Improving the measurement of team performance: the TARGETs methodology. Mil Psychol. 1994;6:47–61.
24. Rosen MA, Salas E, Wu TS, Silvestri S, Lazzara EH, Lyons R, et al. Promoting Teamwork: An Event-based Approach to Simulation-based Teamwork Training for Emergency Medicine Residents. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2008;15(1-9) [PubMed]
26. Goldstein IL, Ford K. Training in Organizations: Needs Assessment, Development, and Evaluation. 4th ed. New York: Wadsworth Publishing; 2001.
27. Deering S, Rosen MA, Salas E, King HB. Building team and technical competency for obstetric emergencies: The Mobile Obstetric Emergency Simulator (MOES) System. Simul Healthc. 2009;4:166–73. [PubMed]
28. Dismukes RK, Smith GM, editors. Facilitation and debriefing in aviation training operations. Aldershot, UK: Ashgate; 2000.
29. Prince C, Salas E, Brannick M, Orasanu J. Beyond facilitation: An improved CRM debrief for safety training. Hum Factors Aerospace Safety. 2005;5:1–22.
30. Rosen MA, Salas E, Wilson KA, King HB, Salisbury M, Augenstein JS, et al. Measuring Team Performance for Simulation-based Training: Adopting best practices for healthcare. Simul Healthc. 2008;3:33–41. [PubMed] 31. Thomas EJ, Sexton JB, Helmreich RL. Translating teamwork behaviors from aviation to healthcare: Development of behavioral markers for neonatal resuscitation. Qual Saf Health Care. 2004;13:i57–64. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
32. Fletcher G, Flin R, McGeorge P, Glavin R, Maran N, Patey R. Rating non-technical skills: Developing a behavioral marking system for use in anesthesi. Cognition Technol Work. 2004;6:165–71.
33. O’Connor P, Hormann JJ, Flin R. Developing a method for evaluation crew resource management skills: A European perspective. Int J Aviat Psychol. 2002;2:62–86.
34. Healey AN, Undre S, Vincent CA. Developing observational measures of performance in surgical teams. Qual Saf Health Care. 2004;13:i33–40. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
35. Lazzara EH, Weaver SL, DiazGranados D, Rosen MA, Salas E, Wu TS. MEDS: The Medical Educators Designing Scenarios Tool A Guide to Authoring Teamwork Focused Simulation Based Training Scenarios For Patient Safety. Ergonomics in Design. In press.