1. Fernandez EW. Comparisons of Selected Social and Economic Characteristics Between Asians, Hawaiians, Pacific Islanders and Asian Indians (Including Alaskan Natives) Washington, DC: Population Division, US Bureau of the Census; 1996.
2. Office of Management and Budget. Revisions to the standards for the classification of federal data on race and ethnicity. 62 Federal Register 58790. 1997
3. Yu ESH, Liu WT. US national health data on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders: a research agenda for the 1990s. Am J Public Health. 1992;82(12):1645–1652. [PubMed] 4. Chen MS, Hawks BL. A debunking of the myth of healthy Asian American and Pacific Islanders. Am J Health Promot. 1995;9(4):261–268. [PubMed] 5. Yoon E, Chien F. Asian American and Pacific Islander health: a paradigm for minority health. JAMA. 1996;275(9):736–737. [PubMed]
6. Takeuchi DT, Yong KNJ. Overview of Asian Pacific Islander Americans. In: Zane NWS, Takeuchi DT, Young KKMJ, editors. Confronting Critical Health Issues of Asian and Pacific Islander Americans. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications; 1994. pp. 3–21.
7. Srinivasan S, Guillermo T. Toward improved health: disaggregating Asian American and Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander Data. Am J Public Health. 2000;90(11):1731–1734. [PubMed]
8. Ro M, Singer MK. Proceedings of the Health Brain Trust on Data & Research: Improving the Health and Well-Being of Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians & Pacific Islanders. White Plains, MD: Automated Graphic Systems, Inc; 2007. Framing and overview; pp. 5–6.
9. Williams DR. The health of US racial and ethnic populations. J Gerontol. 2005;60(special issue II):53–62. [PubMed]
10. Panapasa SV. Social, demographic, and cultural characteristics of Pacific Islanders. In: Trinh-Shevrin C, Rey MJ, editors. Health Issues in the Asian American Community. San Francisco, CA: Jossey Bass; 2009. pp. 50–72.
11. Hoyert DL, Kung H. Asian or Pacific Islander mortality, selected states. Month Vital Stat Rep 1. 1997;46(1 suppl) [PubMed] 12. Braun KL, Yang H, Onaka AT, Horiuchi BY. Asian and Pacific Islander mortality differences in Hawaii. Soc Biol. 1997;44(3–4):213–227. [PubMed] 13. Hayward MD, Heron M. Racial inequality in active life among adult Americans. Demography. 1999;36(1):77–91. [PubMed] 14. Cho Y, Hummer RA. Disability status differentials across fifteen Asian and Pacific Islander groups and the effect of nativity and duration of residence in the US. Soc Biol. 2001;48(3–4):171–195. [PubMed] 15. Goggins WB, Wong GKC. Poor survival for US Pacific Islander cancer patients: evidence from the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Database: 1991 to 2004. J Clin Oncol. 2007;25(36):5738–5741. [PubMed] 16. Miller BA, Chu KC, Hankey BF, Ries LAG. Cancer incidence and mortality patterns among specific Asian and Pacific Islander populations in the US. Cancer Causes Control. 2008;19(3):227–256. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
17. Panapasa SV, Voon Chin P, McNally JW. Economic hardship among elderly Pacific Islanders. AAPI Nexus. 2008;6:12–23.
18. Williams DR, Mohammed SA. Poverty, migration, and health. In: Lin AC, Harris DR, editors. The Colors of Poverty. New York, NY: Russell Sage Foundation; 2008. pp. 135–169.
19. Mau MK, Sinclair K, Saito EP, Baumhofer KN, Kaholokula JK. Cardiometabolic health disparities in Native Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders. Epidemiol Rev. 2009;31:113–129. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
21. Bushnell OA. The Gifts of Civilization. Germs and Genocide in Hawaii. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press; 1993.
22. Nordyke E. The Peopling of Hawai'i. 2nd. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press; 1989.
23. Wegner EL. Social Process in Hawaii: The Health of Native Hawaiians: A Selective Report on Health Status and Health Care in the 1980s. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Dept of Sociology; 1989.
24. Blaisdell RK. The Health of Native Hawaiians. Vol. 32. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press; 1989.
25. Blaisdell RK. 1995 update on kanaka maoli (indigenous Hawaiian) health. Asian Am Pac Isl J Health. 1996;4(1–3):160–165. [PubMed]
26. Kanaiaupuni SM, Ishibashi K. Policy Analysis & System Evaluation Report 02-03. Honolulu, HI: Kamehameha Schools; 2003. Left Behind: The status of Hawaiian Students in Hawai'i Public Schools; p. 13.
27. Kanaiaupuni SM, Melahn C. Policy Analysis & System Evaluation Report 2001-02. Honolulu, HI: Kamehameha Schools; 2001. Census 2000 Highlights: Hawaiians in the United States; p. 06.
29. Blaisdell RK. Historical and cultural aspects of Hawaiian health. In: Wegner EL, editor. Social Process in Hawai'i, The Health of Native Hawaiians: A Selective Report on Health Status and Health Care in the 1980s. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press; 1989. pp. 1–21.
30. Moy E, Arispe IE, Holmes JS, Andrews RM. Preparing the National Healthcare Disparities report: gaps in data for accessing racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic disparities in health care. Medical Care. 2005;43(3):I9–I16. [PubMed]
31. Health, United States, 2008. Washington, DC: US Dept of Health and Human Services; 2008.
32. Okihiro M, Harrigan R. An overview of obesity and diabetes in the diverse populations of the Pacific. Ethn Dis. 2005;15(4 suppl 5):71–80. [PubMed] 33. Davis J, Busch K, Hammatt Z, et al. The relationship between ethnicity and obesity in Asian and Pacific Islander populations: a literature review. Ethn Dis. 2004;14(1):111–118. [PubMed] 34. Kieffer EC, Alexander GR, Mor JM. Geographic patterns of low birth weight in Hawaii. Soc Sci Med. 1993;36(4):557–564. [PubMed] 35. Kieffer EC, Alexander RG, Mor JM. Pregnancy outcomes of Pacific Islanders in Hawaii. Am J Epidemiol. 1995;141(7):674–679. [PubMed]
36. US Dept of Health and Human Services, National Center for Health Statistics. ICPSR Study 02392 Version 2. Hyattsville, MD: US Dept of Health and Human Services, National Center for Health Statistics, producer; Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR), distributor; 1995. Multiple Cause of Death, 1995 [computer file] released January 8, 2009.
37. ICPSR Study 04640 Version 1. Hyattsville, MD: US Dept of Health and Human Services, National Center for Health Statistics producer; Ann Arbor, MI: ICPSR, distributor; 2002. Multiple Cause of Death Public Use Files, 2000–2002 [computer file] released February 7, 2007.
38. Natality Detail File, 1990, United States [computer file] Hyattsville, MD: US Dept of Health and Human Services, National Center for Health Statistics producer; Ann Arbor, MI: ICPSR, distributor; 1993. released March 28, 2008.
39. Natality Detail File, 1995, United States [computer file] Hyattsville, MD: US Dept of Health and Human Services, National Center for Health Statistics, producer; Ann Arbor, MI: ICPSR, distributor; 1997. 2002.
40. ICPSR Study 03799 Version 2. Hyattsville, MD: US Dept of Health and Human Services, National Center for Health Statistics, producer; Ann Arbor, MI: ICPSR, distributor; 2000. Natality Detail File, 2000: United States [computer file] released October 10, 2006.
41. Census of Population and Housing, 2000, United States: Summary File 1, States [computer file] Washington, DC: US Dept of Commerce, Bureau of the Census, producer; Ann Arbor, MI: ICPSR, distributor; 2001. 2004.
42. Shyrock HS, Siegel JS. The Methods and Materials of Demography. Washington, DC: US Dept of Commerce, Census Bureau; 1971.
43. 1990 Census of Population, Social and Economic Characteristics, United States (CP-2-1) Washington, DC: US Bureau of the Census; 1993.
47. Hahn RA. The state of federal health statistics on racial and ethnic groups. JAMA. 1992;267(2):268–271. [PubMed] 48. Hahn RA, Mulinare J, Teutsch SM. Inconsistencies in coding of race and ethnicity between birth and death in US infants. JAMA. 1992;267(2):259–263. [PubMed] 49. Williams DR. The monitoring of racial/ethnic status in the USA: data quality issues. Ethn Health. 1999;4(3):121–137. [PubMed] 50. Preston SH, Elo IT, Rosenwaike I, Hill M. African-American mortality at older ages: results of a matching study. Demography. 1996;33(2):193–209. [PubMed] 51. Nazroo J, Jackson J, Karlsen S, Torres M. The black diaspora and health inequalities in the US and England: does where you go and how you get there make a difference? Sociol Health Illn. 2007;29(6):811–830. [PubMed] 52. Fingerhut LA, MaKuc DM. Mortality among minority populations in the United States. Am J Public Health. 1992;82(8):1168–1170. [PubMed] 53. Williams DR. The health of men: structural inequalities and opportunities. Am J Public Health. 2003;93(5):724–731. [PubMed]
54. Nam CB. Mortality differentials from a multiple-cause-of-death perspective. In: Vallin J, D'Souza S, Palloni A, editors. Measurement of Analysis of Mortality: New Approaches. Oxford, England: Clarendon Press; 1990. pp. 362–387.
55. Rogers RG, Carrigan JA, Kovar MG. Comparing mortality estimates based on different administrative records. Popul Res Policy Rev. 1997;16(3):213–224.
56. Geronimus AT, Bound J, Waidmann TA. Poverty, time and place: variation in excess mortality across selected US populations. J Epidemiol Community Health. 1999;53:1552–1558. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 57. Johnson DB, Oyama N, LeMarchand L, Wilkens L. Native Hawaiians mortality, morbidity and lifestyle: comparing data from 1982, 1990 and 2000. Pac Health Dialog. 2004;11(2):120–130. [PubMed] 58. Wong MD, Shapiro MF, Boscardin WJ, Ettner SL. Contribution of major diseases to disparities in mortality. N Engl J Med. 2002;347(20):1585–1592. [PubMed] 59. Murray CJL, Kulkarni SC, Michaud C, et al. Eight Americas: investigating mortality disparities across races, counties, and race-counties in the United States. PLoS Med. 2006;3:1513–1524. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
61. Braun KL, Yee BWK, Browne CV, Mokuau N. Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander elders. In: Whitfield K, editor. Closing the Gap. Washington, DC: Gerontological Society of America; 2004. pp. 55–67.
62. State of Hawaii Dept of Health. Honolulu, Hawaii: State of Hawai'i Department of Health Executive Office on Aging; 2009. [August 9, 2010]. A report on respite services for grandparents raising grandchildren (GRG) in Hawai'i. Available at: http://hawaii.gov/health/eoa/Docs/GRG09.pdf.
63. Hogan H. The accuracy and coverage evaluation. Theory and design. Surv Methodol. 2003;29(2):129–138.
64. Rosenberg HM, Maurer JD, Sorlie PD, et al. Quality of death rates by race and Hispanic origin: a summary of current research. Vital Health Stat 2. 1999;128:1–13. [PubMed] 65. Sorlie PD, Rogot E, Johnson NJ. Validity of demographic characteristics on the death certificate. Epidemiology. 1992;3(2):181–184. [PubMed] 66. Hahn R. Why race is differentially classified on US birth and infant death certificates: an examination of two hypotheses. Epidemiology. 1999;10(2):108–111. [PubMed]