1. Hoyert DL, Kung H-C, Smith BL. Deaths: Preliminary Data for 2003. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics; 2005. Feb 28, 2005 PHS 2005-1120.
2. National Center for Health Statistics. Health, United States, 2004 With Chartbook on Trends in the Health of Americans. Hyattsville, MD: US Department of Health and Human Services; 2004.
3. Memory JM. Juvenile suicides in secure detention facilities: correction of published rates. Death Stud. 1989 Sep–Oct;13(5):455–463.
4. Gallagher CA, Dobrin A. Deaths in juvenile justice residential facilities. J Adolesc Health. 2006 Jun;38(6):662–668. [PubMed]
5. Hayes LM. Juvenile Suicide in Confinement: A National Survey. Mansfield, MA: National Center on Institutions and Alternatives; 2004. Feb,
6. Teplin LA, Abram KM, McClelland GM, Dulcan MK, Mericle AA. Psychiatric disorders in youth in juvenile detention. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2002 Dec;59(12):1133–1143. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 7. Abram KM, Teplin LA, Charles DR, Longworth SL, McClelland GM, Dulcan MK. Posttraumatic stress disorder and trauma in youth in juvenile detention. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2004 Apr;61(4):403–410. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 8. Shelton D. Health status of young offenders and their families. J Nurs Scholarsh. 2003;32(2):173–178. [PubMed]
9. Pogrebin M. Jail and the mentally disordered: the need for mental health services. J Prison Jail Health. 1985;5(1):13–19. 1985.
10. Parent DG, Leiter V, Kennedy S, Livens L, Wentworth D, Wilcox S. Conditions of Confinement: Juvenile Detention and Corrections Facilities. Washington, DC: US Department of Justice, Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention; 1994.
11. Marcus P, Alcabes P. Characteristics of suicides by inmates in an urban jail. Hosp Community Psychiatry. 1993 Mar;44(3):256–261. [PubMed]
12. Evans W, Albers E, Macari D, Mason A. Suicide ideation, attempts and abuse among incarcerated gang and nongang delinquents. Child Adolesc Soc Work J. 1996 Apr;13(2):115–126.
13. Penn JV, Esposito CL, Schaeffer LE, Fritz GK, Spirito A. Suicide attempts and self-mutilative behavior in a juvenile correctional facility. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2003 Jul;42(7):762–769. [PubMed]
14. Holsinger K, Holsinger AM. Differential pathways to violence and self-injurious behavior: African American and white girls in the juvenile justice system. Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency. 2005 May;42(2):211–242.
15. Wasserman GA, McReynolds LS. Suicide Risk at Juvenile Justice Intake. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2006 Apr;36(2):239–249. [PubMed] 16. Cauffman E. A statewide screening of mental health symptoms among juvenile offenders in detention. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2004 Apr;43(4):430–439. [PubMed] 17. Goldstein NE, Arnold DH, Weil J, et al. Comorbid symptom patterns in female juvenile offenders. Int J Law Psychiatry. 2003 Sep–Oct;26(5):565–582. [PubMed] 18. Rohde P, Seeley JR, Mace DE. Correlates of suicidal behavior in a juvenile detention population. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 1997 Sum;27(2):164–175. [PubMed] 19. Morris RE, Harrison EA, Knox GW, Tromanhauser E, et al. Health risk behavioral survey from 39 juvenile correctional facilities in the United States. J Adolesc Health. 1995 Dec;17(6):334–344. [PubMed]
20. Esposito CL, Clum GA. Specificity of depression symptoms and suicidality in a juvenile delinquent population. J Psychopathol Behav. 1999 Jun;21(2):171–182.
21. Sanislow CA, Grilo CM, Fehon DC, Axelrod SR, McGlashan TH. Correlates of suicide risk in juvenile detainees and adolescent inpatients. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2003 Feb;42(2):234–240. [PubMed] 22. Esposito CL, Clum GA. Social support and problem-solving as moderators of the relationship between childhood abuse and suicidality: applications to a delinquent population. J Trauma Stress. 2002 Apr;15(2):137–146. [PubMed] 23. Flannery DJ, Singer MI, Wester K. Violence exposure, psychological trauma, and suicide risk in a community sample of dangerously violent adolescents. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2001 Apr;40(4):435–442. [PubMed] 24. Gould MS, Greenberg T, Velting DM, Shaffer D. Youth suicide risk and preventive interventions: a review of the past 10 years. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2003 Apr;42(4):386–405. [PubMed]
25. Lewinsohn PM, Rohde P, Seeley JR. Adolescent suicidal ideation and attempts: prevalence, risk factors, and clinical implications. Clin Psychol. 1996 Spr;3(1):25–46.
26. Kessler RC, Borges G, Walters EE. Prevalence of and risk factors for lifetime suicide attempts in the National Comorbidity Survey. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1999;56(7):617–626. 1999. [PubMed]
27. Rohde P, Mace DE, Seeley JR. The association of psychiatric disorders with suicide attempts in a juvenile delinquent sample. Crim Behav Ment Health. 1997;7(3):187–200.
28. Gould MS, King R, Greenwald S, et al. Psychopathology associated with suicidal ideation and attempts among children and adolescents. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1998 Sep;37(9):915–923. [PubMed] 29. Wasserman GA, McReynolds LS, Lucas CP, Fisher P, Santos L. The voice DISC-IV with incarcerated male youths: prevalence of disorder. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2002;41(3):314–321. 2002. [PubMed]
30. Snyder HN, Sickmund M. Juvenile Offenders and Victims: 1999 National Report. Washington, DC: Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention; 1999.
32. Pastore AL, Maguire K. Sourcebook of Criminal Justice Statistics-1999. Washington, DC: US Department of Justice; 2000.
33. US Bureau of the Census. The Hispanic Population. Washington, D.C.: US Department of Commerce; 2001.
34. Cohen J. Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences. 2nd ed. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Earlbaum Associates; 1988.
35. Shaffer D, Fisher P, Dulcan MK, Davies M. The NIMH Diagnostic Interview Schedule for Children Version 2.3 (DISC-2.3): description, acceptability, prevalence rates, and performance in the MECA study. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1996 Jul;35(7):865–877. [PubMed] 36. Bravo M, Woodbury-Farina M, Canino GJ, Rubio-Stipec M. The Spanish translation and cultural adaptation of the Diagnostic Interview Schedule for Children (DISC) in Puerto Rico. Cult Med Psychiatry. 1993;17:329–344. 1993. [PubMed] 37. Shaffer D, Schwab-Stone M, Fisher P, et al. The Diagnostic Interview Schedule for Children -- Revised version (DISC-R): I. Preparation, field testing, interrater reliability, and acceptability. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1993;32(3):643–650. 1993. [PubMed] 38. Fisher PW, Shaffer D, Piacentini J, et al. Sensitivity of the Diagnostic Interview Schedule for Children, 2nd edition (DISC-2.1) for specific diagnoses of children and adolescents. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1993 May;32(3):666–673. [PubMed] 39. Piacentini J, Shaffer D, Fisher P, Schwab-Stone M, Davies M, Gioia P. The Diagnostic Interview Schedule for Children -- Revised Version (DISC-R): III. Concurrent criterion validity. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1993;32(3):658–665. 1993. [PubMed] 40. Schwab-Stone M, Fisher PW, Piacentini J, Shaffer D, Davies M, Briggs M. The Diagnostic Interview Schedule for Children--Revised version (DISC--R): II. Test-retest reliability. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1993 May;32(3):651–657. [PubMed] 41. Abram KM, Teplin LA, McClelland GM, Dulcan MK. Comorbid psychiatric disorders in youth in juvenile detention. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2003 Nov;60(11):1097–1108. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
42. Cochran W. Sampling Techniques. 3rd ed. New York, NY: Wiley; 1977.
43. Levy P, Lemeshow S. Sampling of Populations: Methods and Applications. 3rd ed. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons; 1999.
44. Johnson JG, Cohen P, Gould MS, Kasen S, Brown J, Brook JS. Childhood adversities, interpersonal difficulties, and risk for suicide attempts during late adolescence and early adulthood. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2002;59:741–749. 2002. [PubMed] 45. Foley DL, Goldston DB, Costello EJ, Angold A. Proximal psychiatric risk factors for suicidality in youth: the Great Smoky Mountains Study. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2006 Sep;63(9):1017–1024. [PubMed] 46. Thompson MP, Kingree JB, Ho C-h. Associations between delinquency and suicidal behaviors in a nationally representative sample of adolescents. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2006;36(1):57–64. [PubMed] 47. Roberts RE, Chen Y-W. Depressive symptoms and suicidal ideation among Mexican-origin and Anglo adolescents. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1995 Jan;34(1):81–90. [PubMed] 48. Roberts RE, Chen R, Roberts CR. Ethnocultural differences in prevalence of adolescent suicidal behaviors. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 1997 Sum;27(2):208–217. [PubMed] 49. Tortolero SR, Roberts RE. Differences in nonfatal suicide behaviors among Mexican and European American middle school children. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2001 Sum;31(2):214–223. [PubMed]
50. Grunbaum JA, Kann L, Kinchen S, et al. Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance, United States, 2003. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2004;53(SS-2):1–96. 2002.
51. Sen B. Adolescent propensity for depressed mood and help seeking: race and gender differences. J Ment Health Policy Econ. 2004 Sep;7(3):133–145. [PubMed] 52. Zayas LH, Lester RJ, Cabassa LJ, Fortuna LR. Why do so many Latina teens attempt suicide? a conceptual model for research. Am J Orthopsychiatry. 2005 Apr;75(2):275–287. [PubMed]
53. Zimmerman JK. Crossing the desert alone: An etiological model of female adolescent suicidality. In: Gilligan C, Rogers AG, Tolman DL, editors. Women, Girls, and Psychotherapy. New York, NY: Haworth Press; 1991. pp. 223–240.
54. Crouch JL, Hanson RF, Saunders BE, Kilpatrick DG, Resnick HS. Income, race/ethnicity, and exposure to violence in youth: results from the national survey of adolescents. J Community Psychol. 2000 Nov;28(6):625–641.
55. Viboch M. Childhood Loss and Behavioral Problems: Loosening the Links. New York, NY: Vera Institute of Justice; 2005. Dec,
56. Teplin LA, McClelland GM, Abram KM, Mileusnic D. Early violent death among delinquent youth: a prospective longitudinal study. Pediatrics. 2005;115(6):1586–1593. 2005. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
58. Reynolds WM. Development of a semistructured clinical interview for suicidal behaviors in adolescents. Psychol Assess. 1990;2(4):382–390.
59. Reynolds WM. Suicidal Ideation Quesionnaire: Professional Manual. Odessa, FL: Psychological Assessment Resources; 1988.
60. Clum GA, Curtin L. Validity and reactivity of a system of self-monitoring suicide ideation. J Psychopathol Behav. 1993 Dec;15(4):375–385.
61. Beck AT, Kovacs M, Weissman A. Assessment of suicidal intention: The Scale for Suicide Ideation. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1979 Apr;47(2):343–352. [PubMed]
62. Lindsay M, Lester D. Suicide-by-Cop: Committing Suicide by Provoking Police to Shoot You. Amityville, NY: Baywood Publishing; 2004.
63. Kaplan ML, ASnis GM, Sanderson WC, Keswani L, De Lecuona JM, Joseph S. Suicide assessment: clinical interview vs. self-report. J Clin Psychol. 1994 March;50(2):294–298. [PubMed] 64. Klimes-Dougan B. Screening for suicidal ideation in children and adolescents: methodological considerations. J Adolesc. 1998 August;21(4):435–444. [PubMed] 65. Levine S, Ancill RJ, Roberts AP. Assessment of suicide risk by computer-delivered self-rating questionnaire: preliminary findings. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1989;80(3):216–220. [PubMed] 66. Wasserman GA, Jensen PS, Ko SJ, et al. Mental health assessments in juvenile justice: report on the Consensus Conference. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2003;42(7):751–761. 2003. [PubMed] 67. Gallagher CA, Dobrin A. The association between suicide screening practices and attempts requiring emergency care in juvenile justice facilities. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2005;44(5):477–484. [PubMed]