1. Fairburn CG, Walsh BT. Atypical eating disorders (Eating disorder not otherwise specified). Eating disorders and obesity: A comprehensive handbook. In: Fairburn, Brownell, editors. London: Guilford; 2002. pp. 171–7.
2. Hoek HW, van Hoeken D. Review of the prevalence and incidence of eating disorders. Int J Eat Disord. 2003;34:383–96. [PubMed] 3. Steinhausen HC. The outcome of anorexia nervosa in the 20th century. Am J Psychiatry. 2002;159:1284–93. [PubMed] 4. Herzog DB, Nussbaum KM, Marmor AK. Comorbidity and outcome in eating disorders. Psychiatr Clin North Am. 1996;19:843–59. [PubMed] 5. Herpertz-Dahlmann B, Muller B, Herpertz S, Heussen N, Hebebrand J, Remschmidt H. Prospective 10-year follow-up in adolescent anorexia nervosa-course, outcome, psychiatric comorbidity, and psychosocial adaptation. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2001;42:603–12. [PubMed] 6. Keel PK, Mitchell JE. Outcome in bulimia nervosa. Am J Psychiatry. 1997;154:313–21. [PubMed] 7. Hsu LK, Sobkiewicz TA. Bulimia nervosa: A four-to six-year follow-up study. Psychol Med. 1989;19:1035–8. [PubMed] 8. Patel DR, Phillips EL, Pratt HD. Eating disorders. Indian J Pediatr. 1998;65:487–94. [PubMed] 9. Khandelwal SK, Sharan P, Saxena S. Eating disorders: An Indian perspective. Int J Soc Psychiatry. 1995;41:132–46. [PubMed] 10. Fairburn CG, Cooper Z, Doll HA, Norman P, O’Connor M. The natural course of bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorder in young women. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2000;57:659–65. [PubMed] 11. Hoek HW, Vandereycken W. Eating disorders: 25 years of research and treatment. Tijdschr Psychiatr. 2008;50:85–9. [PubMed] 12. Kaplan AS, Garfinkel PE. Difficulties in treating patients with eating disorders: A review of patient and clinician variables. Can J Psychiatry. 1999;44:665–70. [PubMed] 13. Feld R, Woodside DB, Kaplan AS, Olmsted MP, Carter JC. Pretreatment motivational enhancement therapy for eating disorders: A pilot study. Int J Eat Disord. 2001;29:393–400. [PubMed]
14. Geller J, Williams K, Srikameswaran S. Clinician stance in the treatment of chronic eating disorders. Eur Eating Disorders Rev. 2001;9:1–9.
15. Vitousek K, Watson S, Wilson GT. Enhancing motivation for change in treatment-resistant eating disorders. Clin Psychol Rev. 1998;18:391–420. [PubMed]
16. Fairburn CG, Cooper Z. The eating disorder examination. In: Fairburn CG, Wilson GT, editors. Binge eating: Nature, assessment and treatment. 12th ed. New York: Guilford; 1993. pp. 317–60.
17. Mazure CM, Halmi KA, Sunday SR, Romano SJ, Einhorn AM. The Yale-Brown-Cornell eating disorder scale: Development, use, reliability and validity. J Psychiatr Res. 1994;28:425–45. [PubMed] 18. Sunday SR, Halmi KA, Einhorn A. The Yale-Brown-Cornell eating disorder scale: A new scale to assess eating disorder symptomatology. Int J Eat Disord. 1995;18:237–45. [PubMed]
19. Johnson C. Diagnostic Survey for Eating Disorders (DSED), in the etiology and treatment of bulimia nervosa. In: Johnson C, Connors M, editors. Biopsychosocial perspective. New York: Basic Books; 1987. pp. 174–94.
20. Thelen MH, Mintz LB, Vander Wal JS. The Bulimia Test, revised: Validation with DSM-IV criteria for bulimia nervosa. Psychol Assess. 1996;8:219–21.
21. Garner DM, Olmsted MP, Bohr Y, Garfinkel PE. The eating attitudes test: Psychometric features and clinical correlates. Psychol Med. 1982;12:871–8. [PubMed] 22. Fairburn CG, Beglin SJ. Assessment of eating disorders: Interview or self-report questionnaire? Int J Eat Disord. 1994;16:363–70. [PubMed]
23. Garner DM, Olmstead MJ, Polivy J. Development and validation of a multidimensional eating disorder inventory for anorexia nervosa and bulimia. Int J Eat Disord. 1983;2:15–34.
24. Garner DM. The eating disorders inventory-2.Professional manual Odessa, FL. Psychological Assessment Resources. 1991
25. Birmingham CL, Beumont PJV. Medical management of eating disorders. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press; 2004. A Practical Handbook for Healthcare Professionals.
26. Mehler PS, Andersen AE. A guide to medical care and complications. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press; 1999. Eating disorders.
27. Miller KK, Grinspoon SK, Ciampa J, Hier J, Herzog D, Klibanski A. Medical findings in outpatients with anorexia nervosa. Arch Intern Med. 2005;165:561–6. [PubMed] 28. Golden NH, Jacobson MS, Schebendach J, Solanto MV, Hertz SM, Shenker IR. Resumption of menses in anorexia nervosa. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1997;151:16–21. [PubMed] 29. Frisch RE, McArthur JW. Difference between postpartum and nutritional amenorrhea. Science. 1979;203:921–3. [PubMed] 30. Frisch RE, McArthur JW. Menstrual cycles: Fatness as a determinant of minimum weight for height necessary for their maintenance or onset. Science. 1974;185:949–51. [PubMed] 31. Katzman DK, Zipursky RB. Adolescents with anorexia nervosa: The impact of the disorder on bones and brains. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1997;817:127–37. [PubMed] 32. Golden NH, Meyer W. Nutritional rehabilitation of anorexia nervosa: Goals and dangers. Int J Adolesc Med Health. 2004;16:131–44. [PubMed] 33. Kaye WH, Gwirtsman HE, Obarzanek E, George DT. Relative importance of calorie intake needed to gain weight and level of physical activity in anorexia nervosa. Am J Clin Nutr. 1988;47:989–94. [PubMed] 34. American Psychiatric Association. Treatment of patients with eating disorders. Am J Psychiatric. (third edition) 2006;163:4–54. [PubMed] 35. Golden NH, Jacobson MS, Schebendach J, Solanto MV, Hertz SM, Shenker IR. Resumption of menses in anorexia nervosa. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1997;151:16–21. [PubMed]
36. Guarda AS, Heinberg LJ. Effective weight gain in step down partial hospitalization program for eating disorders. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Academy for Eating Disorders. 1999:11–12. San Diego, June.
37. Russel GF. Involuntary treatment in anorexia nervosa. Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2001;24:337–49. [PubMed] 38. Beumont P, Hay P, Beumont D, Birmingham L, Derham H, Jordan A, et al. Australian and New Zealand clinical practice guidelines for the treatment of anorexia nervosa. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2004;38:659–70. [PubMed] 39. Kaye WH, Weltzin TE, Hsu LK, Bulik CM. An open trial of fluoxetine in patients with anorexia nervosa. J Clin Psychiatry. 1991;52:464–71. [PubMed] 40. Baran SA, Weltzin TE, Kaye WH. Low discharge weight and outcome in anorexia nervosa. Am J Psychiatry. 1995;152:1070–2. [PubMed] 41. Watson TL, Bowers WA, Andersen AE. Involuntary treatment of eating disorders. Am J Psychiatry. 2000;157:1806–10. [PubMed] 42. Attia E, Haiman C, Walsh BT, Flater SR. Does fluoxetine augment the inpatient treatment of anorexia nervosa? Am J Psychiatry. 1998;155:548–51. [PubMed] 43. Kaye W, Nagata T, Weltzin TE, Hsu LK, Sokol MS, McConaha C, et al. Double-blind placebo-controlled administration of fluoxetine in restricting-and restricting-purging-type anorexia nervosa. Biol Psychiatry. 2001;49:644–52. [PubMed] 44. Fassino S, Leombruni P, Daga G, Brustolin A, Migliaretti G, Cavallo F, et al. Efficacy of citalopram in anorexia nervosa: A pilot study. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2002;12:453–9. [PubMed] 45. Halmi KA, Eckert E, LaDu TJ, Cohen J. Anorexia nervosa: Treatment efficacy of cyproheptadine and amitriptyline. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1986;43:177–81. [PubMed] 46. Biederman J, Herzog D, Rivinus TM, Harper GP, Ferber RA, Rosenbaum JF, et al. Amitriptyline in the treatment of anorexia nervosa: A double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 1985;5:10–6. [PubMed] 47. Lacey JH, Crisp AH. Hunger, food intake and weight: The impact of clomipramine on a refeeding anorexia nervosa population. Postgrad Med J. 1980;56:79–85. [PubMed] 48. Claudino AM, Hay P, Lima MS, Bacaltchuk J, Schmidt U, Treasure J. Antidepressants for anorexia nervosa. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006;1:CD004365. [PubMed] 49. Barbarich NC, McConaha CW, Gaskill J, La VM, Frank GK, Achenbach S, et al. An open trial of olanzapine in anorexia nervosa. J Clin Psychiatry. 2004;65:1480–2. [PubMed] 50. Malina A, Gaskill J, McConaha C, Frank GK, Lavia M, Scholar L, et al. Olanzapine treatment of anorexia nervosa: A retrospective study. Int J Eat Disord. 2003;33:234–7. [PubMed] 51. Powers PS, Santana CA, Bannon YS. Olanzapine in the treatment of anorexia nervosa: An open label trial. Int J Eat Disord. 2002;32:146–54. [PubMed] 52. Kaye WH. Applications symposium. New York: 2004. Atypicals in the treatment of anorexia nervosa. Paper presented at the Broadening the Horizon of Atypical Antipsychotic; p. 2004. Available from: http://wwwmedscape.com/viewprogram/3137[last cited on 2009 Mar 12] 53. Bosanac P, Norman T, Burrows G, Beumont P. Serotonergic and dopaminergic systems in anorexia nervosa: A role for atypical antipsychotics? Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2005;39:146–53. [PubMed]
54. Powers PS, Bannon Y, Eubanks R. New York: Paper presented at the 157th annual meeting of the American Psychiatric Association; 4. Anorexia nervosa and quetiapine: effect on weight and psychopathology; pp. 1–6. May.
55. Cassano GB, Miniati M, Pini S, Rotondo A, Banti S, Borri C, et al. Six month open trial of haloperidol as an adjunctive treatment for anorexia nervosa: A preliminary report. Int J Eat Disord. 2003;33:172–7. [PubMed] 56. Miller KK, Grieco KA, Klibanski A. Testosterone administration in women with anorexia nervosa. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005;90:1428–33. [PubMed] 57. Hill K, Bucuvalas J, McClain C, Kryscio R, Martini RT, Alfaro MP, et al. Pilot study of growth hormone administration during the refeeding of malnourished anorexia nervosa patients. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2000;10:3–8. [PubMed] 58. Klibanski A, Biller BM, Schoenfeld DA, Herzog DB, Saxe VC. The effects of estrogen administration on trabecular bone loss in young women with anorexia nervosa. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1995;80:898–904. [PubMed] 59. McElroy SL, Guerdjikova AI, Martens B, Keck PE, Jr, Pope HG, Hudson JI. Role of antiepileptic drugs in the management of eating disorders. CNS Drugs. 2009;23:139–56. [PubMed] 60. Birmingham C, Goldner EM, Bakan R. Controlled trial of zinc supplementation in anorexia nervosa. Int J Eat Disord. 1994;15:251–5. [PubMed] 61. Pike KM, Walsh BT, Vitousek K, Wilson GT, Bauer J. Cognitive behavior therapy in the posthospitalization treatment of anorexia nervosa. Am J Psychiatry. 2003;160:2046–9. [PubMed] 62. McIntosh VV, Jordan J, Carter FA, Luty SE, McKenzie JM, Bulik CM, et al. Three psychotherapies for anorexia nervosa: A randomized, controlled trial. Am J Psychiatry. 2005;162:741–7. [PubMed] 63. Channon S, de Silva P, Hemsley D, Perkins R. A controlled trial of cognitive-behavioural and behavioural treatment of anorexia nervosa. Behav Res Ther. 1989;27:529–35. [PubMed] 64. Treasure J, Todd G, Brolly M, Tiller J, Nehmed A, Denman F. A pilot study of a randomised trial of cognitive analytical therapy vs educational behavioral therapy for adult anorexia nervosa. Behav Res Ther. 1995;33:363–7. [PubMed] 65. Dare C, Eisler I, Russell G, Treasure J, Dodge L. Psychological therapies for adults with anorexia nervosa: Randomized controlled trial of out-patient treatments. Br J Psychiatry. 2001;178:216–21. [PubMed] 66. Crisp AH, Norton K, Gowers S, Halek C, Bowyer C, Yeldham D, et al. A controlled study of the effect of therapies aimed at adolescent and family psychopathology in anorexia nervosa. Br J Psychiatry. 1991;159:325–33. [PubMed] 67. Eisler I, Dare C, Hodes M, Russell G, Dodge E, Le Grange D. Family therapy for adolescent anorexia nervosa: The results of a controlled comparison of two family interventions. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2000;41:727–36. [PubMed] 68. Geist R, Heinmaa M, Stephens D, Davis R, Katzman D. Comparison of family therapy and family group psychoeducation in adolescents with anorexia nervosa. Can J Psychiatry. 2000;45:173–8. [PubMed] 69. Robin A, Siegel PT, Koepke T, Moye AW, Tice S. Family therapy versus individual therapy for adolescent females with anorexia nervosa. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 1994;15:111–6. [PubMed] 70. Russell GF, Szmukler GI, Dare C, Eisler I. An evaluation of family therapy in anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1987;44:1047–56. [PubMed] 71. Robin AL, Siegel PT, Moye A. Family versus individual therapy for anorexia: Impact on family conflict. Int J Eat Disord. 1995;17:313–22. [PubMed] 72. Eisler I, Dare C, Russell GF, Szmukler G, le Grange D, Dodge E. Family and individual therapy in anorexia nervosa: A 5-year follow-up. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1997;54:1025–30. [PubMed] 73. Johnson CL, Taylor C. Working with difficult-to-treat eating disorders using an integration of twelve-step and traditional psychotherapies. Psychiatr Clin North Am. 1996;19:829–41. [PubMed] 74. Hay P, Bacaltchuk J, Claudino A, Ben-Tovim D, Yong PY. Individual psychotherapy in the outpatient treatment of adults with anorexia nervosa. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003:CD003909. [PubMed] 75. Gillberg C, Rastam M, Gillberg IC. Anorexia nervosa: Physical health and neurodevelopment at 16 and 21 years. Dev Med Child Neurol. 1994;36:567–75. [PubMed] 76. Gillberg IC, Rastam M, Gillberg C. Anorexia nervosa outcome: Six-year controlled longitudinal study of 51 cases including a population cohort. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1994;33:729–39. [PubMed] 77. Gillberg IC, Rastam M, Gillberg C. Anorexia nervosa 6 years after onset: Part I.Personality disorders. Compr Psychiatry. 1995;36:61–9. [PubMed] 78. Rastam M, Gillberg C, Wentz E. Outcome of teenage-onset anorexia nervosa in a Swedish community-based sample. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2003;12:I78–90. [PubMed] 79. Wentz E, Gillberg C, Gillberg IC, Rastam M. Ten-year follow-up of adolescent-onset anorexia nervosa: Psychiatric disorders and overall functioning scales. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2001;42:613–22. [PubMed] 80. Nilsson EW, Gillberg C, Gillberg IC, Rastam M. Ten-year followup of adolescent-onset anorexia nervosa: Personality disorders. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1999;38:1389–95. [PubMed] 81. Halvorsen I, Andersen A, Heyerdahl S. Good outcome of adolescent onset anorexia nervosa after systematic treatment.Intermediate to long-term follow-up of a representative county-sample. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2004;13:295–306. [PubMed] 82. Strober M, Freeman R, Morrell W. The long-term course of severe anorexia nervosa in adolescents: Survival analysis of recovery, relapse, and outcome predictors over 10-15 years in a prospective study. Int J Eat Disord. 1997;22:339–60. [PubMed] 83. Dancyger IF, Sunday SR, Eckert ED, Halmi KA. A comparative analysis of minnesota multiphasic personality inventory profiles of anorexia nervosa at hospital admission, discharge, and 10-year follow-up. Compr Psychiatry. 1997;38:185–91. [PubMed] 84. Herzog DB, Field AE, Keller MB, West JC, Robbins WM, Staley J, et al. Subtyping eating disorders: Is it justified? J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1996;35:928–36. [PubMed] 85. Herzog DB, Dorer DJ, Keel PK, Selwyn SE, Ekeblad ER, Flores AT, et al. Recovery and relapse in anorexia and bulimia nervosa: A 7.5-year follow-up study. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1999;38:829–37. [PubMed] 86. Isager T, Brinch M, Kreiner S, Tolstrup K. Death and relapse in anorexia nervosa: Survival analysis of 151 cases. J Psychiatr Res. 1985;19:515–21. [PubMed] 87. Bruce B, Wilfley D. Binge eating among the overweight population: A serious and prevalent problem. J Am Diet Assoc. 1996;96:58–61. [PubMed] 88. Eddy K, Keel PK, Dorer DJ, Delinsky SS, Franko DL, Herzog DB. Longitudinal comparison of anorexia nervosa subtypes. Int J Eat Disord. 2002;31:191–201. [PubMed] 89. Patton GC. Mortality in eating disorders. Psychol Med. 1988;18:947–51. [PubMed] 90. Keel PK, Dorer DJ, Eddy KT, Franko D, Charatan DL, Herzog DB. Predictors of mortality in eating disorders. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2003;60:179–83. [PubMed] 91. Herzog DB, Greenwood DN, Dorer DJ, Flores AT, Ekeblad ER, Richards A, et al. Mortality in eating disorders: A descriptive study. Int J Eat Disord. 2000;28:20–6. [PubMed] 92. Franko DL, Keel PK, Dorer DJ, Blais MA, Delinsky SS, Eddy KT, et al. What predicts suicide attempts in women with eating disorders? Psychol Med. 2004;34:843–53. [PubMed] 93. Pope HG, Jr, Hudson JI, Jonas JM, Yurgelun-Todd D. Bulimia treated with imipramine: A placebo-controlled, double-blind study. Am J Psychiatry. 1983;140:554–8. [PubMed] 94. Beumont PJ, Russell JD, Touyz SW, Buckley C, Lowinger K, Talbot P, et al. Intensive nutritional counselling in bulimia nervosa: A role for supplementation with fluoxetine? Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 1997;31:514–24. [PubMed] 95. Fluoxetine Bulimia Nervosa Collaborative Study Group. Fluoxetine in the treatment of bulimia nervosa: A multicenter, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1992;49:139–47. [PubMed] 96. Goldstein D, Wilson MG, Thompson VL, Potvin JH, Rampey AH., Jr Long-term fluoxetine treatment of bulimia nervosa: Fluoxetine Bulimia Nervosa Research Group. Br J Psychiatry. 1995;166:660–6. [PubMed] 97. Romano SJ, Halmi KA, Sarkar NP, Koke SC, Lee JS. A placebo-controlled study of fluoxetine in continued treatment of bulimia nervosa after successful acute fluoxetine treatment. Am J Psychiatry. 2002;159:96–102. [PubMed] 98. Fichter MM, Leibl K, Rief W, Brunner E, Schmidt-Auberger S, Engel RR. Fluoxetine versus placebo: A double-blind study with bulimic inpatients undergoing intensive psychotherapy. Pharmacopsychiatry. 1991;24:1–7. [PubMed]
99. Kanerva R, Rissanen A, Sarna S. Fluoxetine in the treatment of anxiety, depressive symptoms, and eating-related symptoms in bulimia nervosa. Nord J Psychiatry. 1994;49:237–242.
100. Fichter MM, Kruger R, Rief W, Holland R, Dohne J. Fluvoxamine in prevention of relapse in bulimia nervosa: Effects on eating specific psychopathology. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 1996;16:9–18. [PubMed] 101. Milano W, Petrella C, Sabatino C, Capasso A. Treatment of bulimia nervosa with sertraline: A randomized controlled trial. Adv Ther. 2004;21:232–7. [PubMed] 102. Pope HG, Jr, Keck PE, Jr, McElroy SL, Hudson JI. A placebo-controlled study of trazodone in bulimia nervosa. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 1989;9:254–9. [PubMed] 103. Walsh BT, Hadigan CM, Devlin MJ, Gladis M, Roose SP. Long-term outcome of antidepressant treatment for bulimia nervosa. Am J Psychiatry. 1991;148:1206–12. [PubMed] 104. Kennedy SH, Goldbloom DS, Ralevski E, Davis C, D’Souza JD, Lofchy J. Is there a role for selective monoamine oxidase inhibitor therapy in bulimia nervosa? A placebo-controlled trial of brofaromine. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 1993;13:415–22. [PubMed]
105. Bacaltchuk J, Hay P. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003. Antidepressants versus placebo for people with bulimia nervosa; p. CD003391.
106. Faris PL, Kim SW, Meller WH, Goodale RL, Oakman SA, Hofbauer RD, et al. Effect of decreasing afferent vagal activity with ondansetron on symptoms of bulimia nervosa: A randomised, double-blind trial. Lancet. 2000;355:792–7. [PubMed] 107. Hsu LK, Clement L, Santhouse R, Ju ES. Treatment of bulimia nervosa with lithium carbonate: A controlled study. J Nerv Ment Dis. 1991;179:351–5. [PubMed] 108. Fahy TA, Eisler I, Russell GF. A placebo-controlled trial of d-fenfluramine in bulimia nervosa. Br J Psychiatry. 1993;162:597–603. [PubMed] 109. Alger SA, Schwalberg MD, Bigaouette JM, Michalek AV, Howard LJ. Effect of a tricyclic antidepressant and opiate antagonist on binge-eating behavior in normoweight bulimic and obese, binge-eating subjects. Am J Clin Nutr. 1991;53:865–71. [PubMed] 110. Igoin-Apfelbaum L, Apfelbaum M. Naltrexone and bulimic symptoms. Lancet. 1987;2:1087–8. [PubMed] 111. Mitchell JE, Christenson G, Jennings J, Huber M, Thomas B, Pomeroy C, et al. A placebo-controlled, double-blind crossover study of naltrexone hydrochloride in outpatients with normal weight bulimia. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 1989;9:94–7. [PubMed] 112. Hedges DW, Reimherr FW, Hoopes SP, Rosenthal NR, Kamin M, Karim R, et al. Treatment of bulimia nervosa with topiramate in a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled trial, part 2: Improvement in psychiatric measures. J Clin Psychiatry. 2003;64:1449–54. [PubMed] 113. Hoopes SP, Reimherr FW, Hedges DW, Rosenthal NR, Kamin M, Karim R, et al. Treatment of bulimia nervosa with topiramate in a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, part 1: Improvement in binge and purge measures. J Clin Psychiatry. 2003;64:1335–41. [PubMed] 114. Anderson CB, Joyce PR, Carter FA, McIntosh VV, Bulik CM. The effect of cognitive-behavioral therapy for bulimia nervosa on temperament and character as measured by the temperament and character inventory. Compr Psychiatry. 2002;43:182–8. [PubMed] 115. Agras WS, Walsh T, Fairburn CG, Wilson GT, Kraemer HC. A multicenter comparison of cognitive-behavioral therapy and interpersonal psychotherapy for bulimia nervosa. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2000;57:459–66. [PubMed] 116. Fairburn CG, Jones R, Peveler RC, Hope RA, O’Connor M. Psychotherapy and bulimia nervosa: Longer-term effects of interpersonal psychotherapy, behavior therapy, and cognitive behavior therapy. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1993;50:419–28. [PubMed]
117. Fairburn CG, Marcus MD, Wilson GT. Cognitive-behavioral therapy for binge eating and bulimia nervosa: a comprehensive treatment manual. In: Fairburn CG, Wilson GT, editors. Binge Eating: Nature, Assessment, and Treatment. New York: Guilford; 1993. pp. 361–404.
118. Garner DM, Rockert W, Davis R, Garner MV, Olmsted MP, Eagle M. Comparison of cognitive-behavioral and supportive-expressive therapy for bulimia nervosa. Am J Psychiatry. 1993;150:37–46. [PubMed] 119. Mitchell JE, Pyle RL, Pomeroy C, Zollman M, Crosby R, Seim H, et al. Cognitive-behavioral group psychotherapy of bulimia nervosa: Importance of logistical variables. Int J Eat Disord. 1993;14:277–87. [PubMed]
120. Vandereycken W. The addiction model in eating disorders: some critical remarks and a selected bibliography. Int J Eat Disord. 1990;9:95–102.
121. Bulik CM, Sullivan PF, Carter FA, McIntosh VV, Joyce PR. The role of exposure with response prevention in the cognitive-behavioural therapy for bulimia nervosa. Psychol Med. 1998;28:611–23. [PubMed] 122. Bulik CM, Sullivan PF, Joyce PR, Carter FA, McIntosh VV. Predictors of 1-year treatment outcome in bulimia nervosa. Compr Psychiatry. 1998;39:206–14. [PubMed] 123. Davis R, McVey G, Heinmaa M, Rockert W, Kennedy S. Sequencing of cognitive-behavioral treatments for bulimia nervosa. Int J Eat Disord. 1999;25:361–74. [PubMed] 124. Hsu LK, Rand W, Sullivan S, Liu DW, Mulliken B, McDonagh B, et al. Cognitive therapy, nutritional therapy and their combination in the treatment of bulimia nervosa. Psychol Med. 2001;31:871–9. [PubMed] 125. Wilson GT, Fairburn CC, Agras WS, Walsh BT, Kraemer H. Cognitive-behavioral therapy for bulimia nervosa: Time course and mechanisms of change. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2002;70:267–74. [PubMed] 126. Wilson GT, Loeb KL, Walsh BT, Labouvie E, Petkova E, Liu X, et al. Psychological versus pharmacological treatments of bulimia nervosa: Predictors and processes of change. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1999;67:451–9. [PubMed] 127. Fairburn CG, Jones R, Peveler RC, Carr SJ, Solomon RA, O’Connor ME, et al. Three psychological treatments for bulimia nervosa: A comparative trial. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1991;48:463–9. [PubMed] 128. Wilfley DE, Agras WS, Telch CF, Rossiter EM, Schneider JA, Cole AG, et al. Group cognitive-behavioral therapy and group interpersonal psychotherapy for the nonpurging bulimic individual: A controlled comparison. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1993;61:296–305. [PubMed] 129. Chen E, Touyz SW, Beumont PJ, Fairburn CG, Griffiths R, Butow P, et al. Comparison of group and individual cognitive-behavioral therapy for patients with bulimia nervosa. Int J Eat Disord. 2003;33:241–54. [PubMed] 130. Cooper PJ, Steere J. A comparison of two psychological treatments for bulimia nervosa: Implications for models of maintenance. Behav Res Ther. 1995;33:875–85. [PubMed] 131. Agras WS, Schneider JA, Arnow B, Raeburn SD, Telch CF. Cognitive-behavioral and response-prevention treatments for bulimia nervosa. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1989;57:215–21. [PubMed] 132. Wolk SL, Devlin MJ. Stage of change as a predictor of response to psychotherapy for bulimia nervosa. Int J Eat Disord. 2001;30:96–100. [PubMed] 133. Garner DM, Rockert W, Davis R, Garner M, Olmsted MP, Eagle M. Comparison of cognitive-behavioral and supportive-expressive therapy for bulimia nervosa. Am J Psychiatry. 1993;150:37–46. [PubMed] 134. Sundgot-Borgen J, Rosenvinge JH, Bahr R, Schneider LS. The effect of exercise, cognitive therapy, and nutritional counseling in treating bulimia nervosa. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2002;34:190–5. [PubMed] 135. Schmidt U. Cognitive behavioral approaches in adolescent anorexia and bulimia nervosa. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. 2009;18:147–58. [PubMed] 136. Safer DL, Telch CF, Agras WS. Dialectical behavior therapy for bulimia nervosa. Am J Psychiatry. 2001;158:632–4. [PubMed]
137. Schwartz RC, Barett MJ, Saba G. New York: Guilford; 1985. Family therapy for bulimia.
138. Bailer U, de Zwaan M, Leisch F, Strnad A, Lennkh-Wolfsberg C, El-Giamal N, et al. Guided self-help versus cognitive-behavioral group therapy in the treatment of bulimia nervosa. Int J Eat Disord. 2004;35:522–37. [PubMed] 139. Carter JC, Olmsted MP, Kaplan AS, McCabe RE, Mills JS, Aime A. Self help for bulimia nervosa: A randomized controlled trial. Am J Psychiatry. 2003;160:973–8. [PubMed] 140. Durand MA, King M. Specialist treatment versus self-help for bulimia nervosa: A randomised controlled trial in general practice. Br J Gen Pract. 2003;53:371–7. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 141. Thiels C, Schmidt U, Treasure J, Garthe R, Troop N. Guided self-change for bulimia nervosa incorporating use of a self-care manual. Am J Psychiatry. 1998;155:947–53. [PubMed] 142. Schmidt U, Andiappan M, Grover M, Robinson S, Perkins S, Dugmore O, et al. Randomised controlled trial of CD-ROM-based cognitive-behavioural self-care for bulimia nervosa. Br J Psychiatry. 2008;193:493–500. [PubMed]
143. Malenbaum R, Herzog D, Eisenthal S, Wyshak G. Overeaters Anonymous. Int J Eat Disord. 1988;7:139–44.
144. Rorty M, Yager J, Rossotto E. Why and how do women recover from bulimia nervosa? The subjective appraisals of forty women recovered for a year or more. Int J Eat Disord. 1993;14:249–60. [PubMed] 145. Hay PJ, Bacaltchuk J, Stefano S. Psychotherapy for bulimia nervosa and binging. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004:CD000562. [PubMed] 146. Agras WS, Rossiter EM, Arnow B, Schneider JA, Telch CF, Raeburn SD, et al. Pharmacologic and cognitive-behavioral treatment for bulimia nervosa: A controlled comparison. Am J Psychiatry. 1992;149:82–7. [PubMed] 147. Agras WS, Rossiter EM, Arnow B, Telch CF, Raeburn SD, Bruce B, et al. One-year follow-up of psychosocial and pharmacologic treatments for bulimia nervosa. J Clin Psychiatry. 1994;55:179–83. [PubMed] 148. Goldbloom DS, Olmsted M, Davis R, Clewes J, Heinmaa M, Rockert W, et al. A randomized controlled trial of fluoxetine and cognitive behavioral therapy for bulimia nervosa: Short-term outcome. Behav Res Ther. 1997;35:803–11. [PubMed] 149. Walsh BT, Wilson GT, Loeb KL, Devlin MJ, Pike KM, Roose SP, et al. Medication and psychotherapy in the treatment of bulimia nervosa. Am J Psychiatry. 1997;154:523–31. [PubMed] 150. Mitchell JE, Fletcher L, Hanson K, Mussell MP, Seim H, Crosby R, et al. The relative efficacy of fluoxetine and manual-based self help in the treatment of outpatients with bulimia nervosa. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2001;21:298–304. [PubMed] 151. Walsh BT, Wilson GT, Loeb KL, Devlin MJ, Pike KM, Roose SP, et al. Medication and psychotherapy in the treatment of bulimia nervosa. Am J Psychiatry. 1997;154:523–31. [PubMed] 152. Wilson GT, Loeb KL, Walsh BT, Labouvie E, Petkova E, Liu X, et al. Psychological versus pharmacological treatments of bulimia nervosa: Predictors and processes of change. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1999;67:451–9. [PubMed] 153. Mitchell JE, Halmi K, Wilson GT, Agras WS, Kraemer H, Crow S, et al. A randomized secondary treatment study of women with bulimia nervosa who fail to respond to CBT. Int J Eat Disord. 2002;32:271–81. [PubMed] 154. Bacaltchuk J, Hay P, Trefiglio R. Antidepressants versus psychological treatments and their combination for bulimia nervosa. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2001 [PubMed] 155. Esplen MJ, Garfinkel PE, Olmsted M, Gallop RM, Kennedy S. A randomized controlled trial of guided imagery in bulimia nervosa. Psychol Med. 1998;28:1347–57. [PubMed] 156. Braun DL, Sunday SR, Fornari VM, Halmi KA. Bright light decreases winter binge frequency in women with bulimia nervosa: a double-blind, placebo controlled study. Compr Psychiatry. 1999;40:442–8. [PubMed] 157. Mitchell JE, Agras WS, Wilson GT, Halmi K, Kraemer H, Crow S. A trial of a relapse prevention strategy in women with bulimia nervosa who respond to cognitive-behavior therapy. Int J Eat Disord. 2004;35:549–55. [PubMed] 158. Fichter MM, Quadflieg N. Twelve-year course and outcome of bulimia nervosa. Psychol Med. 2004;34:1395–406. [PubMed] 159. Fichter MM, Quadflieg N. Six-year course of bulimia nervosa. Int J Eat Disord. 1997;22:361–84. [PubMed] 160. Fairburn CG, Cooper Z, Doll HA, Norman P, O’Connor M. The natural course of bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorder in young women. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2000;57:659–65. [PubMed] 161. Fairburn CG, Norman PA, Welch SL, O’Connor ME, Doll HA, Peveler RC. A prospective study of outcome in bulimia nervosa and the long-term effects of three psychological treatments. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1995;52:304–12. [PubMed] 162. Fairburn CG, Stice E, Cooper Z, Doll HA, Norman PA, O’Connor ME. Understanding persistence in bulimia nervosa: A 5-year naturalistic study. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2003;71:103–9. [PubMed] 163. Stice E, Fairburn CG. Dietary and dietary-depressive subtypes of bulimia nervosa show differential symptom presentation, social impairment, comorbidity, and course of illness. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2003;71:1090–4. [PubMed] 164. Keel PK, Mitchell JE, Miller KB, Davis TL, Crow SJ. Predictive validity of bulimia nervosa as a diagnostic category. Am J Psychiatry. 2000;157:136–8. [PubMed] 165. Keel PK, Mitchell JE, Davis TL, Crow SJ. Relationship between depression and body dissatisfaction in women diagnosed with bulimia nervosa. Int J Eat Disord. 2001;30:48–56. [PubMed] 166. van Son GE, van Hoeken D, van Furth EF, Donker GA, Hoek HW. Course and outcome of eating disorders in a primary care-based cohort. Int J Eat Disord. 2010;43:130–8. [PubMed] 167. Vrabel KR, Ro O, Martinsen EW, Hoffart A, Rosenvinge JH. Five-year prospective study of personality disorders in adults with longstanding eating disorders. Int J Eat Disord. 2010;43:22–8. [PubMed]