1. Walensky RP, Paltiel AD, Losina E, et al. Three million years of life saved: The survival benefits of AIDS treatment in the United States. J Infect Dis. 2006 Jul 1;194(1):11–19. [PubMed] 2. The PLoS Medicine Editors. HIV treatment proceeds as prevention research confounds. PLoS Med. 2007 Dec;4(12):e347. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
3. Doncel G, van Damme L. Update on the CONRAD cellulose sulfate trial [Abstract 106LB]. 14th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections; Los Angeles, CA. 2007.
4. Ramjee G, Govinden R, Morar NS, Mbewu A. South Africa's experience of the closure of the cellulose sulphate microbicide trial. PLoS Med. 2007 Jul;4(7):e235. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
6. Robertson M, Mehrota D, Fitzgerald D, et al. Efficacy results from the STEP study (Merck V520 protocol 023/HVTN 502): A phase II test-of-concept trial of the MRKAd5 HIV-1 Gag/Pol/Nef trivalent vaccine [abstract 88LB]. 15th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections; Boston, MA. 2008.
7. Padian NS, van der Straten A, Ramjee G, et al. Diaphragm and lubricant gel for prevention of HIV acquisition in southern African women: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2007 Jul 21;370(9583):251–261. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 9. Millett GA, Flores SA, Marks G, Reed JB, Herbst JH. Circumcision status and risk of HIV and sexually transmitted infections among men who have sex with men: a meta-analysis. JAMA. 2008 Oct 8;300(14):1674–1684. [PubMed] 10. Auvert B, Taljaard D, Lagarde E, Sobngwi-Tambekou J, Sitta R, Puren A. Randomized, controlled intervention trial of male circumcision for reduction of HIV infection risk: the ANRS 1265 Trial. PLoS Med. 2005 Nov;2(11):e298. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 11. Bailey RC, Moses S, Parker CB, et al. Male circumcision for HIV prevention in young men in Kisumu, Kenya: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2007 Feb 24;369(9562):643–656. [PubMed] 12. Gray RH, Kigozi G, Serwadda D, et al. Male circumcision for HIV prevention in men in Rakai, Uganda: a randomised trial. Lancet. 2007 Feb 24;369(9562):657–666. [PubMed]
13. Choopanya K, Martin M, Vanichseni S, et al. Enrollment, risk behavior, and adherence of injecting drug users in an HIV prevention trial in Bangkok [Abstract 568]. 15th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections; Boston, MA. 2008.
14. Atchison R, Peterson L, Leigler T, Cates W, Grant R. No evidence of drug-resistance mutations in a seroconverter exposed to tenofovir disoproxil fumarate chemoprophylaxis in Africa [Abstract 570]. 15th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections; Boston, MA. 2008.
15. McConnell J, Grant R, Goicochea P, et al. iPrEx: A timely intervention unfolds in a population of eminent risk of HIV infection [Abstract 569]. 15th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections; Boston, MA. 2008.
16. Frenkel L, Kuller L, Capalungan J, et al. Immunization by mucosal exposure to SIV or HIV-2 during chemoprophylaxis with tenofovir [Abstract 494]. 15th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections; Boston, MA. 2008.
17. Denton PW, Estes JD, Sun Z, et al. Antiretroviral pre-exposure prophylaxis prevents vaginal transmission of HIV-1 in humanized BLT mice. PLoS Med. 2008 Jan 15;5(1):e16. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 18. Grant RM, Buchbinder S, Cates W, Jr, et al. AIDS. Promote HIV chemoprophylaxis research, don't prevent it. Science. 2005 Sep 30;309(5744):2170–2171. [PubMed] 19. Youle M, Wainberg MA. Pre-exposure chemoprophylaxis (PREP) as an HIV prevention strategy. J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care (Chic Ill) 2003 Jul–Sep;2(3):102–105. [PubMed] 20. Garcia-Lerma JG, Otten RA, Qari SH, et al. Prevention of rectal SHIV transmission in macaques by daily or intermittent prophylaxis with emtricitabine and tenofovir. PLoS Med. 2008 Feb 5;5(2):e28. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 21. Peterson L, Taylor D, Roddy R, et al. Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate for prevention of HIV infection in women: a phase 2, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. PLoS Clin Trials. 2007;2(5):e27. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
22. Hill A, Youle M, Boucher C. Cost-effectiveness analysis of ART for pre-exposure prophylaxis [Abstract 901]. 13th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections; Denver, CO. 2006.
23. Paxton LA, Hope T, Jaffe HW. Pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV infection: what if it works? Lancet. 2007 Jul 7;370(9581):89–93. [PubMed] 24. Cohen MS, Kashuba AD. Antiretroviral therapy for prevention of HIV infection: New clues from an animal model. PLoS Med. 2008 Feb 5;5(2):e30. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 25. Freedberg KA, Losina E, Weinstein MC, et al. The cost effectiveness of combination antiretroviral therapy for HIV disease. N Engl J Med. 2001 Mar 15;344(11):824–831. [PubMed] 26. Paltiel AD, Weinstein MC, Kimmel AD, et al. Expanded screening for HIV in the United States--an analysis of cost-effectiveness. N Engl J Med. 2005 Feb 10;352(6):586–595. [PubMed] 27. Paltiel AD, Walensky RP, Schackman BR, et al. Expanded HIV screening in the United States: effect on clinical outcomes, HIV transmission, and costs. Ann Intern Med. 2006 Dec 5;145(11):797–806. [PubMed]
28. Gold M, Siegel JE, Russel L, Weinstein MC, editors. Cost-effectiveness in health and medicine. New York: Oxford University Press; 1996.
29. Seage GR, 3rd, Holte SE, Metzger D, et al. Are US populations appropriate for trials of human immunodeficiency virus vaccine? The HIVNET Vaccine Preparedness Study. Am J Epidemiol. 2001 Apr 1;153(7):619–627. [PubMed]
30. Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study (MACS) Public Dataset: Release PO4. Springfield, VA: National Technical Information Service; 1995.
31. Desai K, McGreevey WP, Ackers ML, Hall HI, Hu DJ. Modeling the potential impact of HIV chemoprophylaxis strategies among men who have sex with men in the United States: HIV infections prevented and cost-effectiveness [Abstract THAD0101]. XVI International AIDS Conference; Toronto, Canada. 2006.
32. Gallant JE, DeJesus E, Arribas JR, et al. Tenofovir DF, emtricitabine, and efavirenz vs. zidovudine, lamivudine, and efavirenz for HIV. N Engl J Med. 2006 Jan 19;354(3):251–260. [PubMed] 33. Johnson M, Grinsztejn B, Rodriguez C, et al. Atazanavir plus ritonavir or saquinavir, and lopinavir/ritonavir in patients experiencing multiple virological failures. AIDS. 2005 Apr 29;19(7):685–694. [PubMed] 34. Grinsztejn B, Nguyen BY, Katlama C, et al. Safety and efficacy of the HIV-1 integrase inhibitor raltegravir (MK-0518) in treatment-experienced patients with multidrug-resistant virus: a phase II randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2007 Apr 14;369(9569):1261–1269. [PubMed] 35. Nelson M, Arasteh K, Clotet B, et al. Durable efficacy of enfuvirtide over 48 weeks in heavily treatment-experienced HIV-1-infected patients in the T-20 versus optimized background regimen only 1 and 2 clinical trials. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2005 Dec 1;40(4):404–412. [PubMed]
36. Lalezari J, Goodrich J, DeJesus E, et al. Efficacy and safety of maraviroc plus optimized background therapy in viremic ART-experienced patients infected with CCR5-tropic HIV-1: 24-week results of a phase 2b/3 study in the US and Canada [abstract 104bLB]. 14th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections; Los Angeles, CA. 2007.
37. Red Book. Montvale, NJ: Thomson PDR; 2006.
38. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Medicare Physician Fee Schedule. 2006. [cited March 5 2008]. Available from:
40. Koblin B, Chesney M, Coates T. Effects of a behavioural intervention to reduce acquisition of HIV infection among men who have sex with men: the EXPLORE randomised controlled study. Lancet. 2004 Jul 3–9;364(9428):41–50. [PubMed] 41. Flynn NM, Forthal DN, Harro CD, Judson FN, Mayer KH, Para MF. Placebo-controlled phase 3 trial of a recombinant glycoprotein 120 vaccine to prevent HIV-1 infection. J Infect Dis. 2005 Mar 1;191(5):654–665. [PubMed] 42. Dybul M, Bolan R, Condoluci D, et al. Evaluation of initial CD4+ T cell counts in individuals with newly diagnosed human immunodeficiency virus infection, by sex and race, in urban settings. J Infect Dis. 2002 Jun 15;185(12):1818–1821. [PubMed] 43. Saag MS, Cahn P, Raffi F, et al. Efficacy and safety of emtricitabine vs stavudine in combination therapy in antiretroviral-naive patients: a randomized trial. JAMA. 2004 Jul 14;292(2):180–189. [PubMed] 44. Johnson MA, Gathe JC, Jr, Podzamczer D, et al. A once-daily lopinavir/ritonavir-based regimen provides noninferior antiviral activity compared with a twice-daily regimen. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2006 Oct 1;43(2):153–160. [PubMed] 45. Booth CL, Geretti AM. Prevalence and determinants of transmitted antiretroviral drug resistance in HIV-1 infection. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2007 Jun;59(6):1047–1056. [PubMed] 46. DHHS Panel on Antiretroviral Guidelines for Adults and Adolescents - A Working Group of the Office of AIDS Research Advisory Council (OARAC) Guidelines for the use of antiretroviral agents in HIV-1-infected adults and adolescents. 2008. Jan 29 [cited May 14 2008]. Available from: http://aidsinfo.nih.gov/contentfiles/AdultandAdolescentGL.pdf.
47. Madruga JVR, Cassetti I, Koenig E, et al. Six year safety and efficacy of tenofovir DF (TDF) in combination with lamivudine (3TC) and efavirenz (EFV) in antiretroviral-naïve patients [Abstract WEPEB030]. 4th International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention; Sydney, Australia. 2007.
48. Coca S, Perazella MA. Rapid communication: acute renal failure associated with tenofovir: evidence of drug-induced nephrotoxicity. Am J Med Sci. 2002 Dec;324(6):342–344. [PubMed] 49. Krishnan M, Nair R, Haas M, Atta MG. Acute renal failure in an HIV-positive 50-year-old man. Am J Kidney Dis. 2000 Nov;36(5):1075–1078. [PubMed] 50. Mayer KH, Mimiaga MJ, Cohen D, et al. Tenofovir DF plus lamivudine or emtricitabine for nonoccupational postexposure prophylaxis (NPEP) in a Boston community health center. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008 Apr 1;47(4):494–499. [PubMed]
51. Horberg M, Tang B, Towner W, et al. Effect of tenofovir on renal function in patients using HAART [Abstract 975]. 15th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections; Boston, MA. 2008.
52. Philipson T, Posner RA. Private choices and public health: The AIDS epidemic in an economic perspective. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press; 1993.
53. Crepaz N, Hart TA, Marks G. Highly active antiretroviral therapy and sexual risk behavior: a meta-analytic review. JAMA. 2004 Jul 14;292(2):224–236. [PubMed]
54. Garcia-Lerma J, Otten R, Qari S, et al. Prevention of rectal SHIV transmission in macaques by tenofovir/FTC combination [Abstract 32LB]. 13th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections; Denver, CO. 2006.
55. Garcia-Lerma JG, Otten RA, Cong ME, et al. Intermittent antiretroviral prophylaxis with tenofovir and emtricitabine (FTC) protects macaques against repeated rectal SHIV exposures. 16th International HIV Drug Resistance Workshop; Barbados, West Indies. 2007.
56. Schackman BR, Gebo KA, Walensky RP, et al. The lifetime cost of current human immunodeficiency virus care in the United States. Med Care. 2006 Nov;44(11):990–997. [PubMed] 57. Hirth RA, Chernew ME, Miller E, Fendrick AM, Weissert WG. Willingness to pay for a quality-adjusted life year: in search of a standard. Med Decis Making. 2000 Jul–Sep;20(3):332–342. [PubMed] 58. Ubel PA, Hirth RA, Chernew ME, Fendrick AM. What is the price of life and why doesn't it increase at the rate of inflation? Arch Intern Med. 2003 Jul 28;163(14):1637–1641. [PubMed] 60. Tengs TO, Adams ME, Pliskin JS, et al. Five-hundred life-saving interventions and their cost-effectiveness. Risk Anal. 1995 Jun;15(3):369–390. [PubMed]
61. Cohen J. Protect or Disinhibit. New York: Times Magazine; 2006. Jan 22,
62. Hilton H. Self-medicating with AIDS drugs. TIME. 2008 January 28;
63. Smith DM, Drumright LN, Frost SD, et al. Characteristics of recently HIV-infected men who use the internet to find male sex partners and sexual practices with those partners. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2006 Dec 15;43(5):582–587. [PubMed] 64. Hightow LB, Leone PA, Macdonald PD, McCoy SI, Sampson LA, Kaplan AH. Men who have sex with men and women: a unique risk group for HIV transmission on North Carolina College campuses. Sex Transm Dis. 2006 Oct;33(10):585–593. [PubMed]