1. Kolvin I, Barrett ML, Bhate SR, Berney TP, Famuyiwa OO, Fundudis T, et al. The Newcastle child depression project: diagnosis and classification of depression. Br J Psychiatry. 1991;159 (suppl 11):9–21. [PubMed]
2. Harrington RC. Affective disorders. In: Rutter M, Taylor E, Hersov L, editors. Child and adolescent psychiatry: modern approaches. 3rd ed. Oxford: Blackwell Scientific; 1994. pp. 330–350.
3. Hazell P, O’Connell D, Heathcote D, Robertson J, Henry D. Efficacy of tricyclic drugs in treating child and adolescent depression: a meta-analysis. BMJ. 1995;310:897–901. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 4. Emslie G, Rush A, Weinberg W, Kowatch R, Hughes C, Carmody T, et al. A double-blind, randomized placebo-controlled trial of fluoxetine in depressed children and adolescents. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1997;54:1031–1037. [PubMed] 5. Simeon JG, Dinicola VF, Ferguson HB, Copping W. Adolescent depression: a placebo-controlled fluoxetine treatment study and follow-up. Prog Neuro-Psychopharm Biol Psychiatry. 1990;14:791–795. [PubMed]
6. Hawton K, Salkovskis PM, Kirk J, Clark DM. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 1989. Cognitive behaviour therapy for psychiatric problems. A practical guide.
7. Williams JMG. The psychological treatment of depression. 2nd ed. London: Routledge; 1992.
8. Beardslee WR, Wright E, Rothberg PC, Salt P, Versage E. Response of families to two preventive intervention strategies: long-term differences in behavior and attitude change. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1996;35:774–782. [PubMed] 9. Sandler IN, West SG, Baca L, Pillow DR, Gersten JC, Rogosch F, et al. Linking empirically based theory and evaluation: the family bereavement program. Am J Comm Psychol. 1992;20:491–521. [PubMed]
10. Mufson L, Moreau D, Weissman MM, Klerman GL. Interpersonal psychotherapy for depressed adolescents. New York: Guilford Press; 1993.
11. Thompson SG. Why sources of heterogeneity in meta-analysis should be investigated. BMJ. 1994;309:1351–1355. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
12. Goodyer IM. Depression in childhood and adolescence. In: Paykel ES, editor. Handbook of affective disorders. 2nd ed. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone; 1992. pp. 585–600.
13. Rutter M. The developmental psychopathology of depression: issues and perspectives. In: Rutter M, Izard C, Read P, editors. Depression in young people. Developmental and clinical perspectives. New York: Guilford Press; 1986. pp. 3–30.
14. American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders—DSM-III-R. 3rd ed. Washington: American Psychiatric Association; 1987.
15. Harrington RC, Wood A, Verduyn C. Clinically depressed adolescents. In: Graham P, editor. Cognitive behaviour therapy for children and their families. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 1998. pp. 163–200.
16. Butler L, Meizitis S, Friedman R, Cole E. The effect of two school-based intervention programs on depressive symptoms in pre-adolescents. Am Educ Res J. 1980;17:111–119.
17. Fine S, Forth A, Gilbert M, Haley G. Group therapy for adolescent depressive disorder: a comparison of social skills and therapeutic support. J Am Acad Child Psychiatry. 1991;30:79–85. [PubMed] 18. Jaycox LH, Reivich KJ, Gillham J, Seligman MEP. Prevention of depressive symptoms in school children. Behav Res Ther. 1994;32:801–816. [PubMed] 19. Kroll L, Harrington RC, Gowers S, Frazer J, Jayson D. Continuation of cognitive-behavioural treatment in adolescent patients who have remitted from major depression. Feasibility and comparison with historical controls. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1996;35:1156–1161. [PubMed]
20. Rossello J, Bernal G. Adapting cognitive-behavioral and interpersonal treatments for depressed Puerto Rican adolescents. In: Hibbs E, Jensen PS, editors. Psychosocial treatments for child and adolescent disorders. Empirically based strategies for clinical practice. Washington: American Psychological Association; 1996. pp. 157–185.
21. Reynolds WM, Coats KI. A comparison of cognitive-behavioural therapy and relaxation training for the treatment of depression in adolescents. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1986;54:653–660. [PubMed] 22. Stark KD, Reynolds WM, Kaslow N. A comparison of the relative efficacy of self-control therapy and a behavioral problem-solving therapy for depression in children. J Abnorm Child Psychol. 1987;15:91–113. [PubMed]
23. Liddle B, Spence SH. Cognitive-behaviour therapy with depressed primary school children: a cautionary note. Beh Psychotherapy. 1990;18:85–102.
24. Kahn JS, Kehle TJ, Jenson WR, Clark E. Comparison of cognitive-behavioral, relaxation, and self-modelling interventions for depression among middle-school students. School Psychol Rev. 1990;2:196–211.
25. King CA, Kirschenbaum DS. An experimental evaluation of a school-based program for children at risk: Wisconsin early intervention. J Comm Psychol. 1990;18:167–177.
26. Kellam SG, Werthamer-Larsson L, Dolan LJ, Hendricks Brown C, Mayer LS, Rebok GW, et al. Developmental epidemiologically based preventive trials: baseline modeling of early target behaviors and depressive symptoms. Am J Comm Psychol. 1991;19:563–584. [PubMed]
27. Marcotte D, Baron P. L’efficacite d’une strategie d’intervention emotivo-rationnelle aupres d’adolescents depressifs du milieu scolaire. Can J Counselling. 1993;27:77–92.
28. Clarke GN, Hawkins W, Murphy M, Sheeber L. School-based primary prevention of depressive symptomatology in adolescents. Findings from two studies. J Adolesc Res. 1993;8:183–204.
29. Clarke GN, Hawkins W, Murphy M, Sheeber LB, Lewinsohn PM, Seeley JR. Targeted prevention of unipolar depressive disorder in an at-risk sample of high school adolescents: a randomized trial of a group cognitive intervention. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1995;34:312–321. [PubMed]
30. Stark KD. Childhood depression: school-based intervention. New York: Guilford Press; 1990.
31. Weisz JR, Thurber CA, Sweeney L, Proffitt VD, LeGagnoux GL. Brief treatment of mild-to-moderate child depression using primary and secondary control enhancement training. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1997;65:703–707. [PubMed]
32. Lewinsohn PM, Clarke GN, Hops H, Andrews J. Cognitive-behavioural treatment for depressed adolescents. Beh Ther. 1990;21:385–401.
33. Reed MK. Social skills training to reduce depression in adolescents. Adolescence. 1994;29:293–302. [PubMed]
34. Lewinsohn P, Clarke GN, Rowhde P, Hops H, Seeley J. A course in coping: a cognitive-behavioral approach to treatment of adolescent depression. In: Hibbs ED, Jensen PS, editors. Psychosocial treatments for child and adolescent disorders. Washington DC: Americam Psychiatric Association; 1997. pp. 109–135.
35. Wood AJ, Harrington RC, Moore A. Controlled trial of a brief cognitive-behavioural intervention in adolescent patients with depressive disorders. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 1996;37:737–746. [PubMed]
36. Vostanis P, Feehan C, Grattan E, Bickerton W. Treatment for children and adolescents with depression: lessons from a controlled trial. Clin Child Psychol Psychiatry. 1996;1:199–212.
37. Brent D, Holder D, Kolko D, Birmaher B, Baugher M, Roth C, et al. A clinical psychotherapy trial for adolescent depression comparing cognitive, family, and supportive treatments. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1997;54:877–885. [PubMed] 38. Chalmers TC, Smith H, Blackburn B, Silverman B, Schroeder B, Reitman D, et al. A method for assessing the quality of a randomized control trial. Cont Clin Trials. 1981;2:31–49. [PubMed] 39. Vostanis P, Feehan C, Grattan E, Bickerton W. A randomized controlled out-patient trial of cognitive-behavioural treatment for children and adolescents with depression: 9-month follow-up. J Affect Disord. 1996;40:105–116. [PubMed] 40. DerSimonian R, Laird N. Meta-analysis in clinical trials. Cont Clin Trials. 1986;7:177–188. [PubMed] 41. Egger M, Davey Smith G, Schneider M, Minder C. Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple graphical test. BMJ. 1997;315:629–634. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 42. Jayson D, Wood AJ, Kroll L, Frazer J, Harrington RC. Predictors of response to cognitive-behaviour therapy in adolescent depressive disorder. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1997;37:35–39. [PubMed]
43. Clarke GN, Hops H, Lewinsohn PM, Andrews JA, Seeley JR, Williams JA. Cognitive-behavioral group treatment of adolescent depression: prediction of outcome. Behav Ther. 1992;23:341–354.
44. Geller B, Cooper TB, Graham DL, Marsteller FA, Bryant DM. Double-blind placebo-controlled study of nortriptyline in depressed adolescents using a “fixed plasma level” design. Psychopharm Bull. 1990;26:85–90. [PubMed] 45. Geller B, Cooper TB, Graham DL, Fetner HH, Marsteller FA, Wells JM. Pharmacokinetically designed double-blind placebo-controlled study of nortriptyline in 6- to 12-year-olds with major depressive disorder. J Am Acad Child Psychiatry. 1992;31:34–44. [PubMed] 46. Puig-Antich J, Perel JM, Lupatkin W, Chambers WJ, Tabrizi MA, King J, et al. Imipramine in prepubertal major depressive disorders. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1987;44:81–89. [PubMed]