1. US Department of Health and Human Services. Oral Health In America: A Report of the Surgeon General. Rockville, MD: US Department of Health and Human Services, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health; 2000.
2. US Department of Health and Human Services. National Call to Action to Promote Oral Health. Rockville, MD: US Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research; Spring. 2003.
3. American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry. 2008-09 Definitions, Oral Health Policies and Clinical Guidelines; Core Values p4.; Ethical Responsibilities, p83. 2009. [July 21]. http://www.aapd.org/media/policies.asp. 4. Mouradian WE. Ethics and leadership in children's oral health. Pediatr Dent. 2007 Jan-Feb;29(1):64–72. [PubMed]
5. Mertz E. Registered Dental Hygienists in Alternative Practice: Increasing Access to Care. San Francisco: Center for the Health Professions; May, 2008.
9. DeNavas-Walt C, Proctor BD, Smith JC. Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2007 Current Population Reports P60-235. Washington DC: US Government Printing Office; 2008.
11. US Inspector General. Children's Dental Services Under Medicaid: Access and Utilization. San Francisco: US Department of Health and Human Services; 1996. OEI 09-93-00240.
12. Dye B, Tan S, Smith V, et al. Trends in oral health status: United States, 1988-1994 and 1999-2004. Vital Health Statistics. 2007;11(248)
13. Manski RJ, Brown E. Dental Use, Expenses, Private Dental Coverage, and Changes, 1996 and 2004. Rockville (MD): Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2007.
15. Walton SM, Byck GR, Cooksey JA, Kaste LM. Assessing differences in hours worked between male and female dentists: an analysis of cross-sectional national survey data from 1979 through 1999. J Am Dent Assoc. 2004 May;135(5):637–645. [PubMed]
16. American Dental Association. Distribution of Dentists in the United States by Region and State, 2006. Chicago: American Dental Association; Sep, 2008.
17. American Dental Association. 2008 American Dental Association Workforce Model: 2006-2030. Chicago: American Dental Association; Jun, 2008.
18. Valachovic RW, Weaver RG, Sinkford JC, Haden NK. Trends in Dentistry and Dental Education: 2001. Journal of Dental Education. 2001 June;65(6):539–561.
19. Orlans J, Mertz E, Grumbach K. Dental Heatlh Professional Shortage Area Methodology: A Critical Review. San Francisco: Center for the Health Professions; Oct, 2002.
20. ADEA. Dental Education At-A-Glance. Washington, DC: ADEA; 2004.
21. Health Resources and Services Administration. Shortage Designations: HPSAs, MUAs, & MUPs. 2009. [July 23, 2009]. http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/shortage.
22. Mertz E, Grumbach K, MacIntosh L, Coffman J. Geographic Distribution of Dentists in California. San Francisco: Center for California Health Workforce Studies at UCSF; Jan, 2000.
23. Chmar JE, Harlow AH, Weaver RG, Valachovic RW. Annual ADEA survey of dental school seniors, 2006 graduating class. J Dent Educ. 2007 Sep;71(9):1228–1253. [PubMed] 24. Harrison JP, Daniel RC, Nemecek V. The growing importance of dental services in rural America. Health Care Manag (Frederick) 2007 Jan-Mar;26(1):34–42. [PubMed]
26. Jolly P. Diversity of U.S. Medical Students by Parental Income. Analysis in Brief. 2008 8(1) [January];
27. By the numbers. Physicians. Physician compensation survey. Mod Healthc. 2008 Dec 22;(Suppl):76, 78, 80. [PubMed]
28. American Dental Association. 2007 Survey of Dental Practice: Income from the Private Practice of Dentistry. Chicago: American Dental Association; Apr, 2009.
29. American Dental Education Association. Personal Communication. Washington DC: 2009.
30. ADA Division of Education. Total US Dental School Enrollment by Ethnic/Race and Gender, 2006-2007. Chicago: American Dental Association;
31. Chmar JE, Weaver RG, Valachovic RW. Dental school vacant budgeted faculty positions, academic years 2005-06 and 2006-07. J Dent Educ. 2008 Mar;72(3):370–385. [PubMed] 34. Andersen RM, Friedman JA, Carreon DC, et al. Recruitment and retention of underrepresented minority and low-income dental students: effects of the Pipeline program. J Dent Educ. 2009 Feb;73(2 Suppl):S238–258. S375. [PubMed]
37. ADA Survey Center. 2000-2001 Survey of Advanced Education. Chicago: American Dental Association;
38. ADA Survey Center. 2007-2008 Survey of Advanced Education. Chicago: American Dental Association;
39. Dohm A, Sniper L. Occupational Employment Projections to 2016. Monthly Labor Review. 2007 November;
40. Valachovic RW. Dental workforce trends and children. Ambul Pediatr. 2002 Mar-Apr;2(2 Suppl):154–161. [PubMed]
42. Mertz E. Registered Dental Hygienists' in Alternative Practice: Increasing Access to Care in California. San Francisco: UCSF Center for the Health Professions; May, 2008.
43. McKinnon M, Luke G, Bresch J, Moss M, Valachovic RW. Emerging allied dental workforce models: considerations for academic dental institutions. J Dent Educ. 2007 Nov;71(11):1476–1491. [PubMed] 45. Dental Assisting National Board. Job Title Excerpt: Position Paper of the ADAA/DANB Alliance: Addressing A Uniform National Model for the Dental Assisting Profession. 2007. http://www.danb.org/PDFs/JobTitles.pdf. July 21, 2008.
46. Association ADH. Dental Hygiene Education Program Director Survey, 2006. Chicago, IL: American Dental Hygienists' Association; 2008.
47. Mertz E. Survey of Registered Dental Hygienists. San Francisco: Center for the Health Professions; Mar, 2007.
50. Battrell AM, Gadbury-Amyot CC, Overman PR. A qualitative study of limited access permit dental hygienists in Oregon. J Dent Educ. 2008 Mar;72(3):329–343. [PubMed] 51. Wing P, Langelier MH, Continelli TA, Battrell A. A Dental Hygiene Professional Practice Index (DHPPI) and access to oral health status and service use in the United States. J Dent Hyg. 2005 Spring;79(2):10. [PubMed]
52. Moller J. Feds oppose limits to school-based mobile dental clinics. The Times-Picayune. 2009 May 4;
53. Niederman R, Gould E, Soncini J, Tavares M, Osborn V, Goodson JM. A model for extending the reach of the traditional dental practice: the ForsythKids program. J Am Dent Assoc. 2008 Aug;139(8):1040–1050. [PubMed] 54. Nash DA, Nagel RJ. A brief history and current status of a dental therapy initiative in the United States. J Dent Educ. 2005 Aug;69(8):857–859. [PubMed]
56. Minnesota Department of Public Health. Oral Health Practitioner Recommendations: Report to the Minnesota Legislature. St Paul: Minnesota Department of Public Health; 2008.
57. Deinard A, Johnson B. Ending an epidemic: physicians' role in primary caries prevention. Minn Med. 2009 Mar;92(3):38–39. [PubMed]
59. Rozier G, Close K. Personal Communication with Wendy Mouradian. University of North Carolina; Jul, 2009.
60. Rozier RG, Sutton BK, Bawden JW, Haupt K, Slade GD, King RS. Prevention of early childhood caries in North Carolina medical practices: implications for research and practice. J Dent Educ. 2003 Aug;67(8):876–885. [PubMed]
61. Casey M. Personal Communication with Wendy Mouradian. North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services; Jul, 2009. DDS MPH Division of Medical Assistance.
62. Riter D. Washington Dental Services Foundation. Personal Communication with Wendy Mouradian. Jul, 2009.
63. Kumar J, Iida H. Oral Health During Pregnancy: A Summary of Practice Guidelines. Washington DC: National Maternal and Child Oral Health Resource Center; 2008.
67. Rosenblatt RA, Andrilla CH, Curtin T, Hart LG. Shortages of medical personnel at community health centers: implications for planned expansion. Jama. 2006 Mar 1;295(9):1042–1049. [PubMed]