1. Mokdad AH, Marks JS, Stroup DF, Gerberding JL. Actual causes of death in the United States, 2000. JAMA. 2004;291:1238–1245. [PubMed] 2. Timmermans M, van Lier PA, Koot HM. Which forms of child/adolescent externalizing behaviors account for late adolescent risky sexual behavior and substance use? J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2008;49:386–394. [PubMed]
4. Johnston LD, O’Malley PM, Bachman JG, Schulenberg JE. Monitoring the Future national results on adolescent drug use: overview of key findings, 2007. Bethesda, MD: National Institute on Drug Abuse; p. 2008. (NIH Publication No. 08-6418)
5. Arias AJ, Gelernter J, Chan G, Weiss RD, Brady KT, Farrer L, Kranzler HR. Correlates of co-occurring ADHD in drug-dependent subjects: prevalence and features of substance dependence and psychiatric disorders. Addict Behav. 2008;33:1199–1207. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 6. Tubman JG, Gil AG, Wagner EF, Artigues H. Patterns of sexual risk behaviors and psychiatric disorders in a community sample of young adults. J Behav Med. 2003;26:473–500. [PubMed] 7. Ellickson PL, Tucker JS, Klein DJ, Saner H. Antecedents and outcomes of marijuana use initiation during adolescence. Prev Med. 2004;39:976–984. [PubMed] 8. Hlaing WM, de la Rosa M, Niyonsenga T. Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and substance use risk behaviors among tri-ethnic adolescents of Florida. AIDS Behav. 2007;11:239–251. [PubMed]
10. Marotta SA, Garcia JG. Latinos in the United States in 2000. Hispanic J Behav Sci. 2003;25:13–34.
11. Tubman JG, Windle M, Windle RC. The onset and cross-temporal patterning of sexual intercourse in middle adolescence: prospective relations with behavioral and emotional problems. Child Dev. 1996;67:327–343. [PubMed] 12. Tubman JG, Windle M, Windle RC. Cumulative sexual intercourse patterns among middle adolescents: problem behavior precursors and concurrent health risk behaviors. J Adolesc Health. 1996;18:182–191. [PubMed] 13. Kopp LM, Beauchaine TP. Patterns of psychopathology in the families of children with conduct problems, depression, and both psychiatric conditions. J Abnorm Child Psychol. 2007;35:301–312. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 14. Wolff JC, Ollendick TH. The comorbidity of conduct problems and depression in childhood and adolescence. Clin Child Fam Psychol Rev. 2006;9:201–220. [PubMed] 15. Prado G, Schwartz SJ, Pattatucci-Aragon A, Clatts M, Pantin H, Fernandez MI, Lopez B, Briones E, Amaro H, Szapocznik J. The prevention of HIV transmission in Hispanic adolescents. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2006;84 Suppl 1:S43–S53. [PubMed] 16. Szapocznik J, Prado G, Burlew AK, Williams RA, Santisteban DA. Drug abuse in African American and Hispanic adolescents: culture, development, and behavior. Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2007;3:77–105. [PubMed]
17. Jessor R, Turbin MS, Costa FM, Dong Q, Zhang H, Wang C. Adolescent problem behavior in China and the United States: a cross-national study of psychosocial protective factors. J Res Adolesc. 2003;13:329–360.
18. Wanner B, Vitaro F, Ladouceur R, Brendgen M, Tremblday RE. Joint trajectories of gambling, alcohol and marijuana use during adolescence: a person- and variable-centered developmental approach. Addict Behav. 2006;31:566–580. [PubMed] 19. Guilamo-Ramos V, Jaccard J, Turrisi R, Johansson M, Bouris A. Maternal perceptions of alcohol use by adolescents who drink alcohol. J Stud Alcohol. 2006;67:730–737. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 20. Pantin H, Coatsworth JD, Feaster DJ, Newman FL, Briones E, Prado G, Schwartz SJ, Szapocznik J. Familias Unidas: the efficacy of an intervention to promote parental investment in Hispanic immigrant families. Prev Sci. 2003;4:189–201. [PubMed] 21. Pantin H, Schwartz SJ, Sullivan S, Prado G, Szapocznik J. Ecodevelopmental HIV prevention programs for Hispanic adolescents. Am J Orthopsychiatry. 2004;74:545–558. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 22. Prado G, Pantin H, Briones E, Schwartz SJ, Feaster D, Huang S, Sullivan S, Tapia MI, Sabillon E, Lopez B, Szapocznik J. A randomized controlled trial of a parent-centered intervention in preventing substance use and HIV risk behaviors in Hispanic adolescents. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2007;75:914–926. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
23. Krauss BJ, Godfrey C, Yee DS, Goldsamt L, Tiffany J, Almeyda L, Davis WR, Bula E, Reardon D, Jones Y, DeJesus J, Pride J, Garcia E, Pierre-Louis M, Rivera C, Troche E, Daniels T, O’Day J, Velez R. Saving our children from a silent epidemic: the PATH program for parents and pre-adolescents. In: Pequegnat W, Szapocznik J, editors. Working with Families in the Era of HIV/AIDS. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage; 2000.
24. Quay HC, Peterson DR. Odessa, FL: Psychological Assessment Resources; 1993. The Revised Behavior Problem Checklist: Manual.
25. Wei LJ, Lachin JM. Properties of the urn randomization in clinical trials. Control Clin Trials. 1988;9:345–364. [PubMed] 26. Turner CF, Rogers SM, Lindberg LD, Pleck JH, Sonenstein FL. Adolescent sexual behavior, drug use, and violence: increased reporting with computer survey technology. Science. 1998;280:867–873. [PubMed]
27. Gorman-Smith D, Tolan PH, Zelli A, Huesmann LR. The relation of family functioning to violence among inner-city minority youths. J Fam Psychol. 1996;10:115–129.
28. Barnes HL, Olson DH. Parent-adolescent communication and the Circumplex Model. Child Dev. 1985;56:438–447.
29. Tolan PH, Gorman-Smith D, Huesmann LR, Zelli A. Assessment of family relationship characteristics: a measure to explain risk for antisocial behavior and depression among urban youth. Psychol Assess. 1997;9:212–223.
30. Pantin H. Ecodevelopmental Measures of Support and Conflict for Hispanic Youth and Families. Miami, FL: University of Miami School of Medicine; 1996.
31. Jemmott JB, III, Jemmott LS, Fong GT. Abstinence and safer sex HIV risk-reduction interventions for African American adolescents. JAMA. 1998;279:1529–1536. [PubMed] 32. Lucas CP, Zhang H, Fisher PW, Shaffer D, Regier DA, Narrow WE, Bourdon K, Dulcan MK, Canino G, Rubio-Stipec M, Lahey BB, Friman P. The DISC Predictive Scales (DPS): Efficiently screening for diagnoses. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2001;40:443–449. [PubMed]
33. Muthén LK, Muthén BO. Mplus: Statistical Analysis with Latent Variables: User’s Guide. Los Angeles: Muthén & Muthén;; 1998–2006.
34. Olsen M, Schafer J. A two-part random-effects model for semicontinuous longitudinal data. J Am Stat Assoc. 2001;96:730–745.
35. Little RJA, Rubin DB. Statistical Analysis With Missing Data. New York: Wiley; 1987.
36. Brown TA. Confirmatory Factor Analyses for Applied Research. New York: Guilford; 2006.
37. Allison PD. Missing data techniques for structural equation modeling. J Abnorm Psychol. 2003;112:545–557. [PubMed] 38. Cheong J, Mackinnon DP, Khoo ST. Investigation of mediational processes using parallel process latent growth curve modeling. Structural Equation Modeling. 2003;10:238–262. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
39. Bendel RB, Afifi AA. Comparison of stopping rules in forward regression. J Am Stat Assoc. 1977;72:46–53.
40. Hedeker D, Gibbons RD. Longitudinal Data Analyses. New York: Wiley; 2006.
41. Prado GJ, Schwartz SJ, Maldonado-Molina M, Huang S, Pantin HM, Lopez B, Szapocznik J. Ecodevelopmental × Intrapersonal Risk: substance use and sexual behavior in Hispanic Adolescents. Health Educ Behav. 2009;36:45–61. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 42. Sale E, Sambrano S, Springer JF, Peta C, Pan W, Kasin R. Family protection and prevention of alcohol use among Hispanic youth at high risk. Am J Community Psychol. 2005;36:195–205. [PubMed]
43. Lochman JE, van den Steenhoven A. Family-based approaches to substance use prevention. Journal of Primary Prevention. 2002;23:49–114.
44. Tobler NS, Roona MA, Ochshorn P, Marshall DG, Streke AV, Stackpole KM. School-based adolescent drug prevention programs: 1998 meta-analysis. J Prim Prev. 2000;20:275–335.
45. Villaruel AM, Jemmott JB, Jemmott LS. A randomized controlled trial testing an HIV prevention intervention for Latino youth. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2006;160:772–777. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 46. Kessle RC, McGonagle KA, Zhao S, Nelson CB. Lifetime and 12-month prevalence of DSM-III-R psychiatric disorders in the United States: results from the national comorbidity study. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1994;51:8–19. [PubMed] 47. Bean FD, Corona R, Tuiran R, Woodrow-Lafield KA, Van Hook J. Circular, invisible, and ambiguous migrants: components of difference in estimates of the number of unauthorized Mexican migrants in the United States. Demography. 2001;38:411–422. [PubMed]
48. Perrino T, Coatsworth JD, Briones E, Pantin H, Szapocznik J. Initial engagement in parent-centered interventions: a family systems perspective. J Prim Prev. 2001;22:21–44.
49. Podsakoff PM, MacKenzie SB, Lee JY, Podsakoff NP. Common method biases in behavioral research: a critical review of the literature and recommended remedies. J Appl Psychol. 2003;88:879–903. [PubMed] 50. Dillon FR, Turner CW, Robbins MS, Szapocznik J. Concordance among biological, interview, and self-report measures of drug use among African American and Hispanic adolescents referred for drug abuse treatment. Psychol Addict Behav. 2005;19:404–413. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 51. Santisteban DA, Coatsworth JD, Perez-Vidal A, Kurtines WM, Schwartz SJ, LaPerriere A, Szapocznik J. Efficacy of brief strategic family therapy in modifying Hispanic adolescent behavior problems and substance use. J Fam Psychol. 2003;17:121–133. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 52. Metzger DS, Koblin B, Turner C, Navaline H, Valenti F, Holte S, Gross M, Sheon A, Miller H, Cooley P, Seage GR., 3rd HIVNET Vaccine Preparedness Study Protocol Team. Randomized controlled trial of audio computer-assisted self-interviewing: utility and acceptability in longitudinal studies. Am J Epidemiol. 2000;152:99–106. [PubMed]
53. Rounsaville BJ, Carroll KM, Onken LS. A stage model of behavioral therapies research: getting started and moving from stage I. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice. 2001;8:133–142.