1. Kochanek KD, Murphy SL, Anderson RN, Scott C. Deaths: Final Data for 2002. Hyattsville: National Center for Health Statistics; 2004.
2. Garlow SJ, Purselle D, Heninger M. Ethnic differences in patterns of suicide across the life cycle. Am J Psychiatry. 2005;162:319–323. [PubMed] 3. Joe S, Baser R, Breeden G, Neighbors HW, Jackson J. Prevalence of and risk factors of lifetime suicide attempts among Blacks in the United States. JAMA. 2006;296(17):2112–2123. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 4. Willis LA, Coombs DW, Drentea P, Cockerham WC. Uncovering the mystery: factors of African American suicide. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2003;33(4):412–429. [PubMed] 5. O’Donnell L, O’Donnell C, Wardlaw DM, Stueve A. Risk and resiliency factors influencing suicidality among urban African American and Latino youth. Am J Community Psychol. 2004;33:37–49. [PubMed] 6. Borowsky IW, Ireland M, Resnick MD. Adolescent suicide attempts: risk and protectors. Pediatrics. 2001;107(3):485–493. [PubMed]
7. Joe S. Suicide patterns among black males. In: Anderson E, editor. Against the Wall: Poor, Young, Black, & Male. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press; 2008. pp. 218–241.
8. Price JH, Thompson AJ, Dake JA. Factors associated with state variations in homicide, suicide, and unintentional firearm deaths. J Health Commun. 2004;29(4):271–283. [PubMed] 9. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Suicide among African-American youths—United States, 1980–1995. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1998;47:193–196. [PubMed]
10. Goldsmith SK, Pellmar TC, Kleinman AM, Bunney WE. Reducing Suicide: A National Imperative. Washington: Institute of Medicine, National Academies Press; 2002.
11. U. S. Public Health Service. The Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Prevent Suicide, 1999. Washington: U. S. Public Health Service; 2000.
12. Norstrom T. The impact of alcohol, divorce, and unemployment on suicide—a multilevel analysis. Soc Forces. 1995;74(1):293–314.
13. Joiner T, Conwell Y, Fitzpatrick K, et al. Four studies on how current and past suicidality relate even when “everything but the kitchen sink” is covaried. J Abnorm Psychol. 2005;114(2):291–303. [PubMed] 14. Shaffer D, Gould MS, Fisher P, et al. Psychiatric diagnosis in child and adolescent suicide. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1996;53(4):339–348. [PubMed]
15. U. S. Public Health Service. National Strategy for Suicide Prevention: Goals and Objectives for Action. Rockville: U. S. Department of Health and Human Services; 2001.
16. Grunbaum JA, Kann L, Kinchen S, et al. Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance–United States, 2003. No SS2. Vol. 53. Atlanta: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2004.
17. Phillips DP, Ruth TE. Adequacy of official suicide statistics for scientific research and public policy. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 1993;23:307–319. [PubMed]
18. U. S. Public Health Service. Mental Health: Culture, Race, And Ethnicity—A Supplement to Mental Health: A Report of the Surgeon General. Rockville: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; 2001.
19. Kent MM. Immigration and America’s Black population: Population Reference Bureau. 2007
20. Jackson JS, Torres M, Caldwell CH, et al. The National Survey of American Life: a study of racial, ethnic and cultural influences on mental disorders and mental health. Int J Methods Psychiatr Res. 2004;13:196–207. [PubMed] 21. Pennell B-E, Bowers A, Carr D. The development and implementation of the National Comorbidity Survey Replication, the National Survey of American Life, and the National Latino and Asian American Survey. Int J Methods Psychiatr Res. 2004;13(4):241–269. [PubMed]
22. Kessler RC, Wittchen H-U, Abelson JM, et al. Methodological studies of the Composite International Diagnostic Interview (CIDI) in the US National Comorbidity Survey. Int J Methods Psychiatr Res. 1998;7(1):33–55.
23. Andrews G, Peters L. The psychometric properties of the Composite International Diagnostic Interview. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 1998;33:80–88. [PubMed]
24. Caldwell CH, Jackson JS, Seaton EK. Mental disorders and psychological well-being among black youth: findings from the National Survey of American Life. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Society for Research on Adolescence; San Francisco. 2006. Mar 23,
25. Kaplan EL, Meier P. Nonparametric estimation form incomplete observations. J Am Stat Assoc. 1958;53:457–481.
26. Simon GE, VonKorff M. Recall of psychiatric history in cross-sectional surveys: implications for epidemiologic research. Epidemiol Rev. 1995;17(1):221–227. [PubMed]
27. SAS Institute. SAS/STAT User’s Guide, Version 9.1. Cary: SAS Institute; 2005.
28. Hosmer DW, Lemeshow S. Applied Survival Analysis: Regression Modeling of Time to Event Data. New York: John Wiley & Sons; 2000.
29. R Core Development Team. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. Vienna: R Foundation for Statistical Computing; 2006.
30. Lumley T. Analysis of complex survey samples. J Stat Softw. 2004;9:8.
31. Lumley T, Janes H, Sheppard L. Correspondence: Cox models for ecologic time series data? Environ Health Perspect. 2006;114(12):A690–A691. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
32. Cutright P, Fernquist RM. The relative gender gap in suicide: societal integration, the culture of suicide, and period effects in 20 developed countries, 1955–1994. Soc Sci Res. 2001;30(1):76–99.
33. Grunbaum JA, Kann L, Kinchen SA, et al. Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance–United States, 2001. No SS4. Vol. 51. Atlanta: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2002.
35. Eaton DK, Kann L, Kinchen S, et al. Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance–United States, 2005. Vol. 55. Atlanta: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2006. pp. SS–5.
36. Blum RW, Halcon L, Beuhring T, Pate E, Campell-Forrester S, Venema A. Adolescent health in the Caribbean: risk and protective factors. Am J Public Health. 2003;93(3):456–460. [PubMed] 37. Shaffer D, Gould M, Fisher P, et al. Psychiatric diagnosis in child and adolescent suicide. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1996;53(4):339–348. [PubMed] 38. Ialongo N, McCreary BK, Pearson JL, et al. Suicidal behavior among urban, African American young adults. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2002;32(2):256–271. [PubMed] 39. Kessler RC, Borges G, Walters EE. Prevalence of risk factors for life-time suicide attempts in the National Comorbidity Survey. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1999;56:617–626. [PubMed] 40. Harris EC, Barraclough B. Suicide as an outcome for mental disorders: a meta-analysis. Br J Psychiatry. 1997;170:205–228. [PubMed] 41. Beautrais AL, Joyce PR, Mulder RT. Prevalence and comorbidity of mental disorders in people making serious suicide attempts: a case-control study. Am J Psychiatry. 1996;153(8):1009–1014. [PubMed] 42. Kotila L, Lonnqvist J. Suicide and violent death among adolescent suicide attempters. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1989;79:453–459. [PubMed] 43. Borges G, Benjet C, Medina-Mora ME, Orozco R, Nock M. Suicide ideation, plan, and attempt in the Mexican adolescent mental health survey. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2008;47(1):41–52. [PubMed] 44. Costello EJ, Compton SN, Keeler G, Angold A. Relationship between poverty and psychopathology: a natural experiment. JAMA. 2003;290:2023–2029. [PubMed]
45. Lester D. Mortality from suicide and homicide for African Americans in the U. S. A.: a regional analysis. Omega (Westport) 1990;22:219–226.
46. Lester D. Inequality of income and rates of violence in Caucasian and Black groups. Psychol Rep. 1996;79:979–998. [PubMed]
47. Prudhomme C. The problem of suicide in the American Negro. Psychoanal Rev. 1938;25:187–204. 372–391.
48. Henry AF, Short JF. Suicide and Homicide. Glencoe: Free Press; 1954.
49. Lester D. Economic status of African Americans and suicide rates. Percept Mot Skills. 1993;77:1150. [PubMed]
50. Maris RW. Social Forces in Urban Suicide. Homewood: Dorsey; 1969.
51. Regier DA, Narrow WE. Defining clinically significant psychopathology with epidemiologic data. In: Helzer JE, Hudiak JJ, editors. Defining Psychopathology in the 21st Century: DSM-V and Beyond. Washington: American Psychopathological Association; 2002. pp. 19–30.
52. Wakefield J, Spitzer R. Why requiring clinical significance does not solve epidemiology’s and DSM’s validity problem: response to Regier and Narrow. In: Helzer JE, Hudiak JJ, editors. Defining Psychopathology in the 21st Century: DSM-V and Beyond. Washington: American Psychopathological Association; 2002.
53. First MB, Spitzer RL, Gibbon M, Williams JBW. Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV Axis I Disorders, Research Version, Non-Patient Edition (SCID-I/NP) New York: New York Psychiatric Institute; 2002.