1. McCabe KM, Lansing AE, Garland A, Hough R. Gender differences in psychopathology, functional impairment, and familial risk factors among adjudicated delinquents. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2002;41:860–867. [PubMed] 2. Teplin LA, Abram KM, McClelland GM, Dulcan MK, Mericle AA. Psychiatric disorders in youth in juvenile detention. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2002;59:1133–1143. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
3. Benda BB, Flynn Corwyn R, Toombs NJ. Recidivism among adolescent serious offenders: Prediction of entry into the correctional system for adults. Crim Justice Behav. 2001;28:588–613.
4. Bullis M, Yovanoff P, Havel E. The importance of getting started right: Further examination of the facility-to-community transition of formerly incarcerated youth. J Spec Educ. 2004;38:80–94.
5. Heilbrun K, Brock W, Waite D, et al. Risk factors for juvenile criminal recidivism: The postrelease community adjustment of juvenile offenders. Crim Justice Behav. 2000;27:275–291.
6. Wilson JJ, Rojas N, Haapanen R, Duxbury E, Steiner H. Substance abuse and criminal recidivism: A prospective study of adolescents. Child Psychiatry Hum Dev. 2001;31:297–312. [PubMed] 7. Dembo R, Williams L, Schmeidler J, Wothke W. A longitudinal study of the predictors of the adverse effects of alcohol and marijuana/hashish use among a cohort of high risk youths. Int J Addict. 1993;28:1045–1083. [PubMed] 8. Dembo R, Wothke W, Seeberger W, et al. Testing a model of the influence of family problem factors on high-risk youths’ troubled behavior: A three-wave longitudinal study. J Psychoactive Drugs. 2000;32:55–65. [PubMed]
9. Glueck S, Glueck E. Delinquents and Non-delinquents in Perspective. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press; 1968.
10. Lewis DO, Yeager CA, Lovely R, Stein A, et al. A clinical follow-up of delinquent males: Ignored vulnerabilities, unmet needs, and the perpetuation of violence. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1994;33:518–528. [PubMed] 11. Lewis DO, Yeager CA, Cobham-Portorreal CS, Klein N, et al. A follow-up of female delinquents: Maternal contributions to the perpetuation of deviance. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1991;30:197–201. [PubMed]
12. Giordano PC, Cernkovich SA, Lowery AR. A long-term follow-up of serious adolescent female offenders. In: Putallaz M, Bierman KL, editors. Aggression, Antisocial Behavior, and Violence Among Girls: A Developmental Perspective. New York, NY: Guilford Press; 2004. pp. 186–202.
13. Giordano PC, Cernkovich SA, Rudolph JL. Gender, crime, and desistance: toward a theory of cognitive transformation. Am J Sociol. 2002;107:990–1064.
15. Teplin LA, Abram KM, McClelland GM, Washburn JJ, Pikus AK. Detecting mental disorder in juvenile detainees: Who receives services. Am J Public Health. 2005;95:1773–1780. [PubMed]
16. Hodges K. Child and Adolescent Functional Assessment Scale. Ypsilanti: Eastern Michigan University, Department of Psychology; 1994.
17. Hodges K, Wong MM. Psychometric characteristics of a multidimensional measure to assess impairment: The Child and Adolescent Functional Assessment Scale. J Child Fam Stud. 1996;5:445–467.
18. Hodges K. Child and Adolescent Functional Assessment Scale (CAFAS) In: Grisso T, Vincent G, Seagrave D, editors. Mental Health Screening and Assessment for Juvenile Justice. New York, NY: Guilford Publications, Inc; 2005. pp. 123–136.
19. Cochran W. Sampling Techniques. 3. New York, NY: Wiley; 1977.
20. Levy P, Lemeshow S. Sampling of Populations: Methods and Applications. 3. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons; 1999.
21. Cauffman E. A statewide screening of mental health symptoms among juvenile offenders in detention. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2004;43:430–439. [PubMed] 22. Grunbaum JA, Kann L, Kinchen S, et al. Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance, United States, 2003. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 2004;53:1–96. [PubMed]
23. Sampson RJ, Laub JH. A life course theory of cumulative disadvantage and the stability of delinquency. In: Thornberry TP, editor. Developmental Theories of Crime and Delinquency. Advances in Criminological Theory. Vol. 7. New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Publishers; 1997. pp. 133–161.
24. James C, Thomas M, Lillie-Blanton M, Garfield R. Key Facts: Race, Ethnicity & Medical Care. Washington, DC: Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation; 2007.
25. Elliott DS, Wilson WJ, Huizinga D, Sampson RJ, Elliott A, Rankin B. The effects of neighborhood disadvantage on adolescent development. J Res Crime Delinq. 1996;33:389–426.
26. Dembo R, Schmeidler J, Wothke W. Impact of a Family Empowerment Intervention on delinquent behavior: A latent growth model analysis. J Offender Rehabil. 2003;37:17–41. [PubMed] 27. Lyons JS, Griffin G, Quintenz S, Jenuwine M, Shasha M. Clinical and forensic outcomes from the Illinois Mental Health Juvenile Justice Initiative. Psychiatr Serv. 2003;54:1629–1634. [PubMed] 28. Werner EE. The children of Kauai: Resiliency and recovery in adolescence and adulthood. J Adolesc Health. 1992;13:262–268. [PubMed]
29. Bullis M, Yovanoff P. Those who do not return: Correlates of the work and school engagement of formerly incarcerated youth who remain in the community. J Emot Behav Disord. 2002;10:66–78.
30. Dembo R, Pacheco K, Schmeidler J, Ramirez-Garmica G, Guida J, Rahman A. A further study of gender differences in service needs among youths entering a juvenile assessment center. J Child Adoles Subst. 1998;7:49–77.
31. Shapiro S, Skinner S, Kessler LG, et al. Utilization of health and mental health services: three Epidemiologic Catchment Area sites. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1984;41:971–978. [PubMed] 32. Chilcoat HD, Breslau N. Alcohol disorders in young adulthood: Effects of transitions into adult roles. J Health Soc Behav. 1996;37:339–349. [PubMed]
34. Pogrebin M. Jail and the mentally disordered: the need for mental health services. Journal of Prison and Jail Health. 1985;5:13–19.
35. Parent DG, Leiter V, Kennedy S, Livens L, Wentworth D, Wilcox S. Conditions of Confinement: Juvenile Detention and Corrections Facilities. Washington, DC: US Department of Justice, Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention; 1994.
36. Prendergast ML, Campos M, Farabee D, Evans WK, Martinez J. Reducing substance use in prison: The California Department of Corrections. Prison J. 2004;84:265–280.
37. Keene J. Drug use among prisoners before, during and after custody. Addict Res. 1997;4:343–353.
39. Odgers CL, Caspi A, Broadbent JM, et al. Prediction of differential adult health burden by conduct problem subtypes in males. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2007;64:476–484. [PubMed] 40. Petras H, Kellam SG, Brown C, Muthen BO, Ialongo NS, Poduska JM. Developmental epidemiological courses leading to antisocial personality disorder and violent and criminal behavior: Effects by young adulthood of a universal preventive intervention in first- and second-grade classrooms. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2008;95:S45–S59. [PMC free article] [PubMed]