1. Beaglehole R, Yach D. Globalisation and the prevention and control of non-communicable disease: the neglected chronic diseases of adults. Lancet. 2003;362:903–908. [PubMed] 2. Beran D, Yudkin JS. Diabetes care in sub-Saharan Africa. Lancet. 2006;368:1689–1695. [PubMed] 3. Lindholm LH, Mendis S. Prevention of cardiovascular disease in developing countries. Lancet. 2007;370:720–722. [PubMed] 4. Ghebrehiwet T, Barrett T. Nurses and mental health services in developing countries. Lancet. 2007;370:1016–1017. [PubMed]
5. WHO Innovative Care for Chronic Conditions: Building Blocks for Action. WHO; Geneva, Switzerland: 2002.
6. Ebrahim S, Smeeth L. Non-communicable diseases in low and middle-income countries: a priority or a distraction? Int. J. Epidemiol. 2005;34:961–966. [PubMed] 7. Abegunde DO, Mathers CD, Adam T, Ortegon M, Strong K. The burden and costs of chronic diseases in low-income and middle-income countries. Lancet. 2007;370:1929–1938. [PubMed] 8. Boutayeb A. The double burden of communicable and non-communicable diseases in developing countries. Trans. R. Soc. Trop. Med. Hyg. 2006;100:191–199. [PubMed] 9. Beaglehole R, Bonita R, Horton R, Adams O, McKee M. Public health in the new era: improving health through collective action. Lancet. 2004;363:2084–2086. [PubMed]
10. Adeyi O, Smith O, Robles S. Public Policy and the Challenge of Chronic Noncommunicable Diseases. Worldbank; Washington, DC, USA: 2007.
11. Quam L, Smith R, Yach D. Rising to the global challenge of the chronic disease epidemic. Lancet. 2006;368:1221–1223. [PubMed] 12. Setel PW, Saker L, Unwin NC, Hemed Y, Whiting DR, Kitange H. Is it time to reassess the categorization of disease burdens in low-income countries? Am. J. Public Health. 2004;94:384–348. [PubMed]
13. UNAIDS 2006 Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic–a UNAIDS 10th Anniversary Special Edition. UNAIDS; Geneva, Switzerland: 2006.
14. WHO WHO Report 2007: Global Tuberculosis Control–Surveillance, Planning, Financing. WHO; Geneva, Switzerland: 2007.
15. Wild S, Roglic G, Green A, Sicree R, King H. Global prevalence of diabetes: estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030. Diabetes Care. 2004;27:1047–1053. [PubMed] 16. Mbanya JC, Kengne AP, Assah F. Diabetes care in Africa. Lancet. 2006;368:1628–1629. [PubMed] 17. Brown TT, Cole SR, Li X, Kingsley LA, Palella FJ, Riddler SA, Visscher BR, Margolick JB, Dobs AS. Antiretroviral therapy and the prevalence and incidence of diabetes mellitus in the multicenter AIDS cohort study. Arch. Intern. Med. 2005;165:1179–1184. [PubMed]
18. Njamnshi A, Hiag A, Mbanya JC. From research to policy: the development of a national diabetes programme in Cameroon. Diabetes Voice. 2006;51:18–21.
19. Mbanya JC, Ramiaya K. Diabetes mellitus. In: Jamison T, editor. Disease and Mortality in Sub-Saharan Africa. Worldbank; Washington, DC, USA: 2006. pp. 267–287.
20. Kaplan NM, Opie LH. Controversies in hypertension. Lancet. 2006;367:168–176. [PubMed]
21. Steyn K, Damasceno A. Lifestyle and Related Risk Factors for Chronic Diseases. World Bank; Washington, DC, USA: 2006. pp. 247–265.
22. Stein C, Kuchenmuller T, Hendrickx S, Pruss-Ustun A, Wolfson L, Engels D, Schlundt J. The Global Burden of Disease Assessments–WHO Is Responsible? PLoS Negl. Trop. Dis. 2007;1:e161. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
23. Lopes A, Mathers C, Ezzati M, Jamison D, Murray C. Global Burden of Disease and Risk Factors. Oxford University Press and The World Bank; Washington, DC, USA: 2006.
24. Swartz L, Dick J. Managing chronic diseases in less developed countries. Brit. Med. J. 2002;325:914–915. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 25. Beaglehole R, Reddy S, Leeder SR. Poverty and human development: the global implications of cardiovascular disease. Circulation. 2007;116:1871–1873. [PubMed] 26. Rothman AA, Wagner EH. Chronic illness management: what is the role of primary care? Ann. Intern. Med. 2003;138:256–261. [PubMed]
27. Boerma W. Coordination and integration in European Primary Care. In: Saltman R, Rico A, Boerma W, editors. Primary Care in the Driver’s Seat? Organizational Reform in European Primary Care. Open University Press; Berkshire, UK: 2006. pp. 3–21.
28. Jamison D. Investing in Health. In: Jamison D, Breman J, Measham A, Alleyne G, Claeson M, Evans D, Jha P, Mills A, Musgrove P, editors. Disease Control Priorities in Developing Countries. The World Bank; Washington, DC, USA: 2006. pp. 3–34.
29. Walsh JA, Warren KS. Selective primary health care: an interim strategy for disease control in developing countries. N. Engl. J. Med. 1979;301:967–974. [PubMed]
30. Jamison D, Breman J, Measham A, Alleyne G, Claeson M, Evans D, Jha P, Mills A, Musgrove P. Disease Control Priorities in Developing Countries. The World Bank; Washington, DC, USA: 2006.
31. Pruitt SD, Epping-Jordan JE. Preparing the 21st century global healthcare workforce. Brit. Med. J. 2005;330:637–639. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 32. Bodenheimer T, MacGregor K, Stothart N. Nurses as leaders in chronic care. Brit. Med. J. 2005;330:612–613. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 33. So WY, Tong PC, Ko GT, Leung WY, Chow CC, Yeung VT, Chan WB, Critchley JA, Cockram CS, Chan JC. Effects of protocol-driven care versus usual outpatient clinic care on survival rates in patients with type 2 diabetes. Am. J. Manag. Care. 2003;9:606–615. [PubMed] 34. Renders CM, Valk GD, Griffin SJ, Wagner EH, Eijk Van JT, Assendelft WJ. Interventions to improve the management of diabetes in primary care, outpatient, and community settings: a systematic review. Diabetes Care. 2001;24:1821–1833. [PubMed] 35. Raftery JP, Yao GL, Murchie P, Campbell NC, Ritchie LD. Cost effectiveness of nurse led secondary prevention clinics for coronary heart disease in primary care: follow up of a randomised controlled trial. Brit. Med. J. 2005;330:707. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 36. Frich LM. Nursing interventions for patients with chronic conditions. J. Adv. Nurs. 2003;44:137–153. [PubMed] 37. Stromberg A, Martensson J, Fridlund B, Levin LA, Karlsson JE, Dahlstrom U. Nurse-led heart failure clinics improve survival and self-care behaviour in patients with heart failure: results from a prospective, randomised trial. Eur. Heart J. 2003;24:1014–1023. [PubMed] 38. Horrocks S, Anderson E, Salisbury C. Systematic review of whether nurse practitioners working in primary care can provide equivalent care to doctors. Brit. Med. J. 2002;324:819–823. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 39. de Geest S, Moons P, Callens B, Gut C, Lindpaintner L, Spirig R. Introducing Advanced Practice Nurses/Nurse Practitioners in health care systems: a framework for reflection and analysis. Swiss Med. Wkly. 2008;138:621–628. [PubMed] 40. Keleher H, Parker R, Abdulwadud O, Francis K. Systematic review of the effectiveness of primary care nursing. Int. J. Nurs. Pract. 2009;15:16–24. [PubMed] 41. Abegunde DO, Shengelia B, Luyten A, Cameron A, Celletti F, Nishtar S, Pandurangi V, Mendis S. Can non-physician health-care workers assess and manage cardiovascular risk in primary care? Bull World Health Organ. 2007;85:432–440. [PubMed] 42. Coleman R, Gill G, Wilkinson D. Noncommunicable disease management in resource-poor settings: a primary care model from rural South Africa. Bull World Health Organ. 1998;76:633–640. [PubMed] 43. Mamo Y, Seid E, Adams S, Gardiner A, Parry E. A primary healthcare approach to the management of chronic disease in Ethiopia: an example for other countries. Clin. Med. J. Roy. Coll. Phys. 2007;7:228–231. [PubMed] 44. Beaglehole R, Epping-Jordan J, Patel V, Chopra M, Ebrahim S, Kidd M, Haines A. Improving the prevention and management of chronic disease in low-income and middle-income countries: a priority for primary health care. The Lancet. 2008;372:940–949. [PubMed] 45. Robinson M, Clark P. Forging solutions to health worker migration. Lancet. 2008;371:691–693. [PubMed]
46. Nyoni J. Strengthening Human Resources for Health: Evidence in the WHO African Region. Afr. Health Monit. 2006;7:22–25.
47. Rechel B, Dubois C-A, McKee M. The Healthcare Workforce in Europe. WHO-EURO; Copenhagen, Denmark: 2006.
48. WHO Working Together for Health The World Health Report 2006. World Health Organization; Geneva, Switzerland: 2006.
49. Mills EJ, Schabas WA, Volmink J, Walker R, Ford N, Katabira E, Anema A, Joffres M, Cahn P, Montaner J. Should active recruitment of health workers from sub-Saharan Africa be viewed as a crime? Lancet. 2008;371:685–688. [PubMed]
50. Liese B, Dussault G. The State of the Health Workforce in Sub-Saharan Africa: Evidence of Crisis and Analysis of Contributing Factors. The World Bank; Washington, DC, USA: 2004.
51. Munjanja OK, Kibuka S, Dovlo D. The Nursing Workforce in Sub-Saharan Africa. 7 ICN; Geneva, Switzerland: 2005.
52. Kurowski C, Wyss K, Abdulla S, Mills A. Scaling up priority health interventions in Tanzania: the human resources challenge. Health Policy Plan. 2007;22:113–127. [PubMed] 53. Godlee F. Medical workforce gap in developing countries is set to worsen. Brit. Med. J. 2007;335:843. [PubMed] 54. The Lancet Infectious Diseases, Task shifting may prove key to tackling infectious diseases. The Lancet Infect. Disease. 2008;8:81. [PubMed]
55. WHO Treat, Train, Retain: The AIDS and Health Workforce Plan. WHO; Geneva, Switzerland: 2006.
56. Kingma M. Nurses on the move: a global overview. Health Serv. Res. 2007;42:1281–1298. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
57. ICN The Global Nursing Shortage: Priority Areas for Intervention. International Council of Nursing; Geneva, Switzerland: 2006.
58. McCoy D, Bennett S, Witter S, Pond B, Baker B, Gow J, Chand S, Ensor T, McPake B. Salaries and incomes of health workers in sub-Saharan Africa. Lancet. 2008;371:675–681. [PubMed] 59. Philips M, Zachariah R, Venis S. Task shifting for antiretroviral treatment delivery in sub-Saharan Africa: not a panacea. Lancet. 2008;371:682–684. [PubMed] 60. Wagner EH, Austin BT, von Korff M. Organizing care for patients with chronic illness. Milbank Q. 1996;74:511–544. [PubMed] 61. Holman H, Lorig K. Patients as partners in managing chronic disease. Brit. Med. J. 2002;320:526–527. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 62. Bodenheimer T, Wagner EH, Grumbach K. Improving primary care for patients with chronic illness. JAMA. 2002;288:1775–1779. [PubMed] 63. Epping-Jordan JE, Pruitt SD, Bengoa R, Wagner EH. Improving the quality of health care for chronic conditions. Qual. Saf. Health Care. 2004;13:299–305. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 64. Wagner EH. The role of patient care teams in chronic disease management. Brit. Med. J. 2002;320:569–572. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 65. Clark NM, Gong M. Management of chronic disease by practitioners and patients: are we teaching the wrong things? Brit. Med. J. 2002;320:572–575. [PMC free article] [PubMed] 67. Wagner EH, Davis C, Schaefer J, von Korff M, Austin B. A survey of leading chronic disease management programs: are they consistent with the literature? Manag. Care. Q. 1999;7:56–66. [PubMed] 68. Labhardt N, Schiess K, Manga E, Langewitz W. Provider-patient interaction in rural Cameroon—How it relates to patient’s understanding of diagnosis and prescribed drugs, the patient’s concept of illness and access to therapy. Patient Educ. Coun. 2009;76:196–201. [PubMed]
69. Stoll B, Labhardt ND, Belinga E, Cerutti B, Fischer K, Manga E. Improvement of the understanding of prescribed drug regimen and interpersonal communication after a two-day training programme for caregivers in an antenatal care setting in Cameroon–a randomised trial. Proceeding of EACH Conference on Communication in Healthcare; Basel, Switzerland: Basel, EACH; 2006.
70. Stoll B, Labhardt ND, Belinga E, Cerutti B, Fischer K, Manga E. Improvement of the Understanding of Prescribed Drug Regimen and Interpersonal Communication after a Two-Day Training Programme for Caregivers in an Antenatal Care Setting in Cameroon–a Randomised Trial. HUG; Geneva, Switzerland: 2006.
71. Roter D, Larson S. The Roter interaction analysis system (RIAS): utility and flexibility for analysis of medical interactions. Patient Educ. Coun. 2002;46:243–251. [PubMed] 72. Labhardt N, Manga E, Bischoff A, Stoll B. Implementation of a programme to prevent Mother-To-Child Transmission of HIV in rural Cameroon–a survey in 70 health care facilities. Trop. Med. Int. Health. 2008;14:288–293. [PubMed]
73. Schober M, Affara F. Advanced Nursing Practice. Blackwell Publishing; Oxford, UK: 2006.
74. WHO Preparing a Workforce for the 21st Century: The Challenge of Chronic Conditions. World Health Organisation; Geneva, Switzerland: 2005.